Killing Hope by William Blum

Share your thoughts on the written word.
Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Re: Killing Hope by William Blum

Post by Tom Palven » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:15 pm

And the beat goes on...
http://www.ronpaulinstitute.org/
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire
I may not agree with the what you say, but I will defend your right to say it. --Voltaire
Mankind will not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. --Denis Diderot
I haven't abandoned my vices. My vices have abandoned me. --Denis Diderot

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:41 pm

Here are your earlier two posts before last:

Post by Tom Palven » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:53 am
Short video on the Kurds and the confusing situation in Syria:
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/01/ ... 21011.html
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire
Post by Tom Palven » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:03 am
SSDD in oil-rich Venezuela:
http://www.ronpaulinstitute.org/archive ... uela-coup/

Heaven forbid that Venezuelans should work things out for themselves.
Now, I agree your headers are as sparse as any intro could be...........but at least they alert any reader interested in what you are posting to what the link is about. "The Beat Goes On:".........TELLS US NOTHING.

I think this lazy behavior is what started Matt on his journey to current status. I mean: you do the work and have the interest to post the Link. I for one am not going on a Snipe Hunt to see if it is worth the read........give me a cookie/hint/intro. You did it twice in a row, why stop?
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:18 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote: I think this lazy behavior is what started Matt on his journey to current status.
Bobbo. Are you in love with me? :lol: :lol: You seem to be copying Norma Blum & Sweetpea and obsessed with talking about me, even though you are criticising someone else. Thankfully Norma and Sweetpea left the forum after everyone put them on ignore.

I don't date old retired men like yourself.
:lol: :lol:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:02 am

I reference YOU because of the love spat YOU are having w TP. Pro Tip: drop all adjectives when talking about dating men.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:14 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote: I reference YOU because of the love spat YOU are having w TP.
I see. you are in love with Tom Palven and you need to protect him.

Perhaps you two should relocate to "Grnder"
:lol: :lol:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:11 am

Read.............not worth responding to. Where's that Thumbs Down Flag?

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:58 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:11 am
Read.............not worth responding to. Where's that Thumbs Down Flag?
Well Bobbo. You are lying again. You claim you are protecting Tom Palven but following me around into sub- forums Tom Palven never posted in.

You are just a lonely old man trying to get attention.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:11 am

Venezuela is just SSDD.

Killing hope through regime change:
https://original.antiwar.com/mbenjamin/ ... -disaster/
I may not agree with the what you say, but I will defend your right to say it. --Voltaire
Mankind will not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. --Denis Diderot

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:05 am

Tom Palven wrote: ://original.antiwar.com/mbenjamin/2019/02/05/venezuela-the-uss-68th-regime-change-disaster/
From Tom Palven's link : "Venezuela’s economy has shrunk by about half since 2014, the greatest contraction of a modern economy in peacetime. The World Health Organization (WHO) reported that the average Venezuelan lost an incredible 24 lb. in body weight in 2017. "

Good. you now agree that Maduro, who took control in 2013, must be removed before he does any more damage. :lol:

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:28 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:05 am
Tom Palven wrote: ://original.antiwar.com/mbenjamin/2019/02/05/venezuela-the-uss-68th-regime-change-disaster/
From Tom Palven's link : "Venezuela’s economy has shrunk by about half since 2014, the greatest contraction of a modern economy in peacetime. The World Health Organization (WHO) reported that the average Venezuelan lost an incredible 24 lb. in body weight in 2017. "

Good. you now agree that Maduro, who took control in 2013, must be removed before he does any more damage. :lol:
Do you think that Australians should remove him? Or US troops? Or, perhaps, the people who actually live there?

Should Americans call on the BRICS countries to come and remove Trump for us?

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:58 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:Good. you now agree that Maduro, who took control in 2013, must be removed before he does any more damage. :lol:
Tom Palven wrote:Do you think that Australians should remove him? Or US troops? Or, perhaps, the people who actually live there?
The people who live there in opposition were arrested by him. Did you forget again? :lol: :lol:

Australia received a UN resolution to remove Indonesia from East Timor. Oddly you didn't mention the United Nations. Is that because you are an extreme right wing isolationist who doesn't believe in the United Nations? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:44 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:58 am
Matthew Ellard wrote:Good. you now agree that Maduro, who took control in 2013, must be removed before he does any more damage. :lol:
Tom Palven wrote:Do you think that Australians should remove him? Or US troops? Or, perhaps, the people who actually live there?
The people who live there in opposition were arrested by him. Did you forget again? :lol: :lol:

Australia received a UN resolution to remove Indonesia from East Timor. Oddly you didn't mention the United Nations. Is that because you are an extreme right wing isolationist who doesn't believe in the United Nations? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Do you think that the UN, or perhaps NATO, should help remove Trump, too?

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:15 am

Tom Palven wrote:Do you think that the UN, or perhaps NATO, should help remove Trump, too?
Trump is doing great business for Australia and the rest of the world. Trump's trade war with the rest of the world means the world dumps US products for Australian products. Trump then paid "the dole" to US farmers that lost markets in the trade war, so Trump can pretend employment is high. The US economy will then go into recession in a year and a bit, and because Trump reduced tax, the government wont be able to re-stimulate the economy. Everyone will laugh at the USA and Trump will go to jail.

(Australia's biggest trading partners are China and Japan. We are only interested in the USA for its comedy version of politics and entertaining low educational standards.)

The USA is a member of NATO. You keep forgetting that. NATO can't attack itself.

As you only read right wing comic books and blogs by idiots, you are unaware that the UN already issued resolutions on Maduro. Remember, that you have a very low education and you're an idiot. :lol:

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:45 am

This new Consortium News series,The Revelations of Wikileaks, #1, contains the video of the murder of civilians, including a Reuters photographer and his assistant, by the US Army, the release of which that led to the persecution of Julian Assange.

https://consortiumnews.com/2019/04/23/n ... rosshairs/

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:30 am

Reading Matt just above reminds me of why I love his postings so much: so far over the line........WITH Panache!

Closer to your post, it was this video that I thought was "well known" that Matt feigns total ignorance of as part of his campaign to have Assange extradited to USA to "submit to Justice." And yet just read his last post where he ((mostly)) correctly identifies USA political systems as a joke........and what else is submitting a journalist to USA Justice? ((((I must immediately add that prosecuting Assange for conspiracy to Hack is totally valid. Assange needed to be less engaged. Report the news: not make it.))))

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:54 am

Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:30 am
Reading Matt just above reminds me of why I love his postings so much: so far over the line........WITH Panache!

Closer to your post, it was this video that I thought was "well known" that Matt feigns total ignorance of as part of his campaign to have Assange extradited to USA to "submit to Justice." And yet just read his last post where he ((mostly)) correctly identifies USA political systems as a joke........and what else is submitting a journalist to USA Justice? ((((I must immediately add that prosecuting Assange for conspiracy to Hack is totally valid. Assange needed to be less engaged. Report the news: not make it.))))
If during WWII, an Australian Journalist published files illegally stolen from Gestapo files that provided evidence of the murder of civilians, would the extradition of that journalist, arrested in in England for trial in Germany, have served the cause of justice?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:46 pm

TP: comparisons to WAR time combatants is landrew stupid.

don't do it again.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:32 pm

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:46 pm
TP: comparisons to WAR time combatants is landrew stupid.

don't do it again.
The machine-gunning and rocketing of the civilians in that video were random acts of kindness, unrelated to war?

Is the US is not at war in the Mid-East, bombing, rocketing, and droning people at this moment?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:41 am

thats not what you compared.

stop it.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:41 am

Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:41 am
thats not what you compared.
I think that it was, but let me use an alternative scenario:

Would the arrest and prosecution of a an investigative journalist who published illegally hacked videos in violation of Syrian law proving that the Assad regime used poison gas, serve the cause of justice?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:39 am

No.

.........and consistent with your answer, you still don't know/understand the issues nor how to make/use an apt parallel construction to highlight whatever point is lost in your analogy. I'll help: "anyone" revealing odious state secrets is serving justice including hackers. Only a few countries give priority to Freedom of the Press over National Security. To qualify for such protection: you can't hack.

Pretty simple.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:16 pm

Tom Palven wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:45 am
This new Consortium News series,The Revelations of Wikileaks, #1, contains the video of the murder of civilians, including a Reuters photographer and his assistant, by the US Army, the release of which that led to the persecution of Julian Assange.

https://consortiumnews.com/2019/04/23/n ... rosshairs/
I'd like to point out that Consortium News was founded and edited by investigative journalist Robert Parry, who died last year at the age of 68.

This second paragraph from the Wikipedia article on Parry, below, provides some insight into investigative journalism and the Associated Press:

"Parry was a finalist for the 1985 Pulitzer Prize for National Reporting[4] and received the George Polk Award for National Reporting in 1984 for his work with the Associated Press on Iran-Contra, where he broke the story that the Central Intelligence Agency had provided an assassination manual to the Nicaraguan Contras (Psychological Operations in Guerrilla Warfare).[5][6] In mid-1985 he wrote the first article on Oliver North's involvement in the affair, and, together with Brian Barger, in late 1985 he broke the CIA and Contras cocaine trafficking in the US scandal,[7][non-primary source needed] helping to spark Senator John Kerry's interest in investigating Iran-Contra.[8] The Associated Press had refused to publish the drug trafficking story, and only relented when its Spanish-language newswire service accidentally published a translation.[6] Barger and Parry continued to press their investigation of North even as most of the media declined to follow it up, eventually publishing a story in mid-1986, based on 24 sources, which led to a Congressional committee asking questions of North. After North denied the allegations, Barger was pushed out of the Associated Press, and Parry was unable to publish any further follow-ups to the story until after Eugene Hasenfus' plane (Corporate Air Services HPF821) was shot down in Nicaragua in October 1986.[3] After finding out that his boss had been "conferring with [Oliver] North on a regular basis", Parry left AP in 1987 to join Newsweek,[6] which he left in 1990.[9]"