Movies Rated Poor - That are worth a look.

Sort of like "The Bookshelf" but for... you get the idea.
User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 23825
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Movies Rated Poor - That are worth a look.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:02 pm

Rottentomatoes gives "Godzilla" a 38%. The audience gives it an 86%.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 19283
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Movies Rated Poor - That are worth a look.

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:40 pm

Which one..........as I think I've seen trailers for a current release? I like the one about 4 years ago. Lots of little godzillas running around Grand Central Station........or some such. Excellent story telling.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5515
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:22 pm
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk
Location: Detroit

Re: Movies Rated Poor - That are worth a look.

Post by Austin Harper » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:44 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:02 pm
Rottentomatoes gives "Godzilla" a 38%. The audience gives it an 86%.
But what rating does the audience give Gawdzilla?
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 23825
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Movies Rated Poor - That are worth a look.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:01 pm

Austin Harper wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:44 pm
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:02 pm
Rottentomatoes gives "Godzilla" a 38%. The audience gives it an 86%.
But what rating does the audience give Gawdzilla?
On a scale of 1 to 10? 42.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
landrew
Has No Life
Posts: 11246
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am
Location: Fox Meadows

Re: Movies Rated Poor - That are worth a look.

Post by landrew » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:25 pm

It largely depends on your expectations going in. If everyone says they hate, it, you might actually enjoy it because your expectations were lowered going in.

On the other hand, when someone says it's the best movie ever made, and you'll want to see it 10 times, then "Naw, I'll give it a pass."
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 34969
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: prostrate spurge
Location: Transcona

Re: Movies Rated Poor - That are worth a look.

Post by Gord » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:35 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:02 pm
Rottentomatoes gives "Godzilla" a 38%. The audience gives it an 86%.
Reviewers are "above" the general audience these days. What most people really like, the reviewers tend to dislike. And what the reviewers really like, most people tend to dislike. Take, for instance, this pile of gumbo: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/star_trek_discovery
AVERAGE TOMATOMETER -- 82%
AVERAGE AUDIENCE SCORE -- 48%
The gap between them was much wider last time I checked. At one point I believe it was close to 100% vs. 30%.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
landrew
Has No Life
Posts: 11246
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am
Location: Fox Meadows

Re: Movies Rated Poor - That are worth a look.

Post by landrew » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:12 pm

Millions of people enjoy greasy hamburgers, but most self-respecting restaurant reviewers will be endorsing the tofu and sprouts.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Posts: 11986
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Movies Rated Poor - That are worth a look.

Post by OlegTheBatty » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:22 pm

landrew wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:12 pm
Millions of people enjoy greasy hamburgers, but most self-respecting restaurant reviewers will be endorsing the tofu and sprouts.
Is 'self-respecting' a euphemism for 'snooty'?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

.......................Doesn't matter how often I'm proved wrong.................... ~ bobbo the pragmatist

User avatar
landrew
Has No Life
Posts: 11246
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am
Location: Fox Meadows

Re: Movies Rated Poor - That are worth a look.

Post by landrew » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:23 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:22 pm
landrew wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:12 pm
Millions of people enjoy greasy hamburgers, but most self-respecting restaurant reviewers will be endorsing the tofu and sprouts.
Is 'self-respecting' a euphemism for 'snooty'?
Interesting perspective.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 23825
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Movies Rated Poor - That are worth a look.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:37 pm

Gord wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:35 am
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:02 pm
Rottentomatoes gives "Godzilla" a 38%. The audience gives it an 86%.
Reviewers are "above" the general audience these days. What most people really like, the reviewers tend to dislike. And what the reviewers really like, most people tend to dislike. Take, for instance, this pile of gumbo: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/star_trek_discovery
AVERAGE TOMATOMETER -- 82%
AVERAGE AUDIENCE SCORE -- 48%
The gap between them was much wider last time I checked. At one point I believe it was close to 100% vs. 30%.
"Everybody likes a bad review."

Not really.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 14605
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Movies Rated Poor - That are worth a look.

Post by Major Malfunction » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:23 am

Gord wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:35 am
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:02 pm
Rottentomatoes gives "Godzilla" a 38%. The audience gives it an 86%.
Reviewers are "above" the general audience these days. What most people really like, the reviewers tend to dislike. And what the reviewers really like, most people tend to dislike. Take, for instance, this pile of gumbo: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/star_trek_discovery
AVERAGE TOMATOMETER -- 82%
AVERAGE AUDIENCE SCORE -- 48%
The gap between them was much wider last time I checked. At one point I believe it was close to 100% vs. 30%.
Yeah, I always go by the audience score. But they're taking that away now their "professional critics" have been shown to be {!#%@}. To submit a review as a member of the general public you're going to have to sign up on the site with verified personal details, and then prove you've seen the movie by providing a ticket or receipt from their affiliated ticket-seller, or - and get this - PAY them to post your review.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 23825
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Movies Rated Poor - That are worth a look.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:31 pm

I use Fandango, so no problem.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.