Trump will win!

Discussions
Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:08 pm

I can't tell you the number of pool boys from Miami who have compromising photos of my wife and me. We think of ourselves as "the atheist Fallwells of the North." We also have millions and millions of dollars sitting around to lavish on pool boys - so setting hotel pool boys up in business is pretty much second nature to us. After posing for compromising photos, of course. No BS about this.

(I should probably have written "pool attendant" in Times-speak but perhaps Mr Pool Boy would be ok for future posts on this? . . . )

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/18/us/t ... e=Homepage
. . . all right we are two nations . . .

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Re: Trump will whine!

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:45 pm

...made his decision after a "consultation with other individuals whose opinion he respects" - was made to "respect"? :-P
Lard, save me from your followers.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:24 pm

Republicans on the war path, with charges of belittling the Holocaust and moral equivalence against AOC, for AOC's description of border camps for asylum seekers as "concentration camps," the emerging Republican position (dog whistle?) apparently being that "concentration camps" began and ended with the Nazis and Auschwitz - and targeted only Jews.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:17 pm

They lernt that at such fyne institutions as Liberty and Trump U, eh.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:46 pm

I assume my definitional rant is on some other Holocaust thread regarding Trump? anyhow: IN ALL FAIRNESS: in the USA saying "CC" even without a reference to "Never Forget" in the same paragraph is a DOG WHISTLE to the most odious form of CC the Nazi Death Camps. Its a dodge to say you are using the UN Definition. This is the USA...we speak Amerkan here. In Amerka: "Detention Camp" is the only accurate term honestly used. And its used for illegals regardless of race/religion.

I thought it was interesting that Faux Spews had several items on 2-300 Congolese illegals at our Southern Hospitality Gate. Evidently schooled to keep their mouths shut. Other few illegals from the Subcontinent of India with a young (6-7yo) girl dying on arrival. Nothing but good luck the incubation period of ebola made these arrivals most likely not infected. Imagine what will happen when THAT is alleged??????
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:09 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:17 pm
They lernt that at such fyne institutions as Liberty and Trump U, eh.
Yes at the same time most voters have about that level and kind of education, so AOC might want to take her audience into account. Being right will buy you a stale donut at Starbucks and maybe hurt your party and cause in the process.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:17 pm

PS - just saw Pelosi's comment, which seems apt: “Understand that while the Republicans have no interest in holding the president accountable for his words, they will misrepresent anything that you say. Just, if you have one word in the sentence that they can exploit.”

Doesn't excuse the Republicans' disingenuous BS but does get at the nature of the audience, atmosphere and critics.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:25 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:25 pm
Biden - to prove the benefits of civility, bipartisanship and bringing everyone together - last night touted his ability to get along with two arch-segregationists, Republicans James Eastland and Herman Talmadge; I for one have warm fuzzy feelings that Joe Biden got positive vibes when accommodating odious racists and putting personal comfort ahead of the political work that goes with being a Senator.

OTOH I am happy to report that I don't get along with Nazis, the "white genocide" crowd, and HDers.
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/06/ ... orant.html

Balmoral95
Persistent Poster

Post by Balmoral95 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:28 pm

Boy, you guys give me a pain: There's Trump who personally will see to the lame shall walk, the blind shall see, and all you do is bitch, bitch, bitch.....

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:35 pm

hallelujah and . . . AIDS and cancer will be cured: "We will push onward with new medical frontiers. We will come up with the cures to many, many problems, to many, many diseases including cancer and others. And we're getting closer all the time." And: "We will eradicate AIDS in America once and for all — and we are really close." By him alone.

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life
Custom Title: Lost in Translation

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:39 pm

FFS, is he going to do that while cutting federal funds for such things?
Last edited by Jeffk 1970 on Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Question for Groening by a reporter:
“Mr. Groening, what do you say to those who still deny the Holocaust?”

Groening:
“Nothing. They are hopelessly lost.”

Hhhhhhhmmmmmm, is it possible that Carlo Mattogno is the greatest scholar the world has ever known?
:lol: :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=31585&p=713843#p713843

Balmoral95
Persistent Poster

Post by Balmoral95 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:39 pm

Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:35 pm
hallelujah and . . . AIDS and cancer will be cured: "We will push onward with new medical frontiers. We will come up with the cures to many, many problems, to many, many diseases including cancer and others. And we're getting closer all the time." And: "We will eradicate AIDS in America once and for all — and we are really close." By him alone.
You'd think he might start by curing himself and Malaria of the Herp.... :lol:

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:39 pm

LOL

Groening:

Hhhhhhhmmmmmm, is it possible that Carlo Mattogno is the greatest scholar the world has ever known?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:11 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:39 pm
FFS, is he going to do that while cutting federal funds for such things?
Shhh, they're not supposed to notice that he's hoping to win running on grievances stemming from a carnage he caused - as promised.

If they could. :?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:27 am

Yes, it used to be civil. The segregationists were something then. Yes, you should have seen them in those days.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:08 am

Timothy Snyder uses the Cheney-AOC concentration camp contretemps as a teachable moment with this short piece on CNN's website on the Cheney-AOC contretemps. Snyder makes the obvious about what Cheney got wrong in misusing history to defend US border practices: 1) concentration camps have not been limited to the Third Reich and 2) concentration camps in the Third Reich are not synonymous with the Holocaust.

But the piece is a bit odd (maybe a way for Snyder to score a polemical point of his own?) in that the only non-Nazi concentration camps Snyder mentions are communist camps - not those employed by the Spanish, Americans, or British among others who made use of such camps.

Related to this oversight, Snyder might have added a point that AOC got wrong, when she wrote, "A presidency that creates concentration camps is fascist," which is far afield on different levels. But, not wanting to discuss, e.g., American or British camps, Snyder didn't help get this point right. By virtue of his omission, Snyder leaves the impression that no one besides fascists and communists used concentration camps.

Balmoral95
Persistent Poster

Post by Balmoral95 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:11 am

Indeed they are concentration camps.... but she impugns her own argument by using the term... she really needs to be cleverer about this and realize this ain't gonna play well and not just amongst Trumpian slobs...

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:18 am

Oh, I'm pretty sure there are more than a few who relish the idea. But not very many who'd say so openly.

It's not happening, but they deserve it anyway...

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:04 am

Balmoral95 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:11 am
Indeed they are concentration camps.... but she impugns her own argument by using the term...
Note the inconsistency? "The truth/accuracy" RARELY impugns itself.

Here's another distinction between Nazi Death Camps and the Detention Centers put up: the former was involuntary whereas the latter is the "desired" end goal of people fleeing what they consider to be worse.

Words.

They do have meaning.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:17 am

Balmoral95 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:11 am
Indeed they are concentration camps.... but she impugns her own argument by using the term... she really needs to be cleverer about this and realize this ain't gonna play well and not just amongst Trumpian slobs...
Also using the phrase "Never again" hurts her ... even if supported by Jerry Nadler and others in leadership (“One of the lessons from the Holocaust is ‘Never Again’ – not only to mass murder, but also to the dehumanization of people, violations of basic rights, and assaults on our common morality. We fail to learn that lesson when we don’t callout such inhumanity right in front of us.”) - weighing in from the back foot she's put them on; but in a rare agreement with Snyder, I think Cheney's dishonesty outshines any of the damned commie's tactical or other errors. On the moral outrage scale.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:41 pm

Josh Marshall:
. . . the political nation is in a collective state of denial about the depths of the President’s unpopularity and his uphill challenge seeking reelection. The denial isn’t based on nothing. The 2016 outcome was a shocking as well as a calamitous result, one based on significant albeit sometimes overstated polling misses in the key states of Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin. Still, it’s warped our collective understanding of just what’s happening in the 2020 cycle. . . .
And:
I’ve obviously been making the case that people are only just getting around to grappling with the depth of Trump’s unpopularity and his uphill climb for reelection. . . . My point is neither that Trump is sure to lose nor that we can put too much stock in any one poll or group of polls so far in advance. My point is that there is a lot of data across a wide spectrum, some of it public opinion data and some not, which suggests a baseline assumption that the odds at present appear to be stacked against Trump’s quest for reelection.
- vs -

Cas Mudde: Four reasons why Trump is cruising toward re-election: Democrats should not delude themselves: unless they shape up – and fast – the president is heading for four more years:
Democrats will dismiss the [Orlando] speech as lacking ideas and just fearmongering, while reveling in recent polls that have virtually every major primary candidate defeat Donald Trump in 2020, sometimes by a significant margin. . . . Remarkably, given the traumatic experience of 2016, many Democrats have still not learned the key lesson of US democracy: elections are not won by passive majorities but by mobilized minorities. And while the passive majority might be with the Democrats, or at least not with Trump, the mobilized minority is.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:37 pm

This morning's news illustrates exactly why we knew Trump would be such a disaster: Iran shoots down a US drone at the Gulf of Hormuz claiming violation of their air space, which the US denies; a global poll by Ipsos is released showing the US now considered one of 4 "rogue" states; the US Joint Chiefs of Staff have updated nuclear doctrine concluding now that “Using nuclear weapons could create conditions for decisive results and the restoration of strategic stability"; and a study estimates that nearly $500bn will be needed over the next 2 decades by US communities to build seawalls to protect against rising sea level.

What Trump is not responsible for, or exacerbating, he's proven incapable of addressing.

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:48 pm

Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:37 pm
and a study estimates that nearly $500bn will be needed over the next 2 decades by US communities to build seawalls to protect against rising sea level.
Hey!!!!! Something for Infrastructure Week!!!!

When is that again?

Groening:

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:36 pm

more likely to stick local taxpayers with the bill . . . raising the question, who pays too fix a hoax?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:44 pm

Trump's statement on Iran's downing of US spy drone: "Iran made a very big mistake!" I guess this means he's ready to rumble:

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:46 pm

LOL

Groening:

Balmoral95
Persistent Poster

Post by Balmoral95 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:51 pm

DJT:

"Thank God the drone was empty.... that there was no one onboard."

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:53 pm

:laff:

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:54 pm

HOW DARE THEY!!!!! THIS STATEMENT IS RACIST!!!!! ----fox----Hundreds of illegal immigrants coming to border have broken laws in US: DHS
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:59 pm

My House rep, Jan Schakowsky (close ally of Pelosi) released a video yesterday to constituents (she has video updates regularly) in which she declares support for impeachment. In an interview with WaPo, Schakowsky explained, “A lot of people are going to say, ‘Well, Nancy Pelosi, you’re a big supporter,’ which I am. And I think that she’s ultimately right, that the way that we’re going to get rid of Donald Trump is in the election in 2020. But in the meantime, I think we have to do everything that we can to get the information.”

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:08 pm

Seems Speaker Pelosi sez (paraphrased) when asked, Censure wouldn't really make sense, but "if the goods are there, you must impeach"?

Edited for better wording

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:17 pm

So much for my arguing that NC is out of reach for the Democrats: https://www.publicpolicypolling.com/wp- ... _62019.pdf

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:27 pm

Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:17 pm
So much for my arguing that NC is out of reach for the Democrats: https://www.publicpolicypolling.com/wp- ... _62019.pdf
Yes but the question is can the Democrats actually take advantage of this?

Groening:

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:30 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:08 pm
Seems Speaker Pelosi sez (paraphrased) when asked, Censure wouldn't really make sense, but "if the goods are there, you must impeach"?

Edited for better wording
POLITICO on this: https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/ ... rt-1369894

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:12 pm

Groening:

Darren Wilshak
Frequent Poster

Post by Darren Wilshak » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:27 pm

And then there were three and what a trio of Tory boy tossers they are.

Gove, Johnson and the other one.

Bah.
"We are still waiting for anyone to rebut the main theme of the article that the decode in question and the numbers it quoted perfectly match those in the Korherr report.

Until such a rebuttal comes to light and goes through peer review the article stands the test of time. And after 10 years since the article was published both Peter (Witte) and I have moved on to other research projects. "

AHF

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:54 pm

Trump’s people, this is so funny..... :lol:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo. ... 45716.html

I never read this one but I did read Pratchett back in the day.

Groening:

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:58 pm

What is Netflix again? LOL

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:06 pm

Damnit..... :lol:

Groening:

TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Post by TJrandom » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:17 pm

To sign or not to sign, that is the question. Sigh...