Kavanaugh situation got you pissed off? Here are some folks doing something about it!

God, the FSM, and everything else.
Abdul Alhazred
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Yes that one.

Kavanaugh situation got you pissed off? Here are some folks doing something about it!

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:20 pm

:mrgreen:

We “refuse to be silent any longer”: magic as self-care after Kavanaugh
Vox
First, take a candle.

Then, pour some salt into your hand.

Then, keeping the grains in your palm, take a pen to write out a thank you to Christine Blasey Ford, the woman whose allegations of sexual assault against Supreme Court nominee — and now justice — Brett Kavanaugh, stunned a nation.

Or, if you prefer, simply say, “I believe you.”

It’s just one of the many quasi-religious rituals circulating the internet — particularly pagan and #resistance circles — in the wake of Kavanaugh’s confirmation. These rituals help self-identified witches process trauma, anger, and grief.

Aldous Huxley wrote:A government with a comprehensive plan for the betterment of society is a government that uses torture.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Re: Kavanaugh situation got you pissed off? Here are some folks doing something about it!

Post by Lance Kennedy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:45 am

No apologies for Kavanaugh. But I wonder what percentage of male university students, at some stage, get ridiculously drunk and commit some act that could be classified as sexual aggression against a woman. Totally reprehensible, of course, but probably very common.

Many of those guys will then go on to lead relatively blameless lives and become pillars of the community, reaching high office. Their nasty behaviour when drunk as young students put behind them.

Frankly, my concern about this whole situation is the innate corruption of political appointments. The supreme court should be unbiased and above political viewpoints. But it is not. It dances to the tune of which ever political party nominated the most judges. The worst ever example was the decision (during Dubyas reign) that possessing a gun was a human right, and not, as stated in the second amendment, simply a way to maintain an armed militia for national defence. That decision was clearly a directive from the lunatic Bush man, as dictated by the NRA.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Re: Kavanaugh situation got you pissed off? Here are some folks doing something about it!

Post by TJrandom » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:18 pm

They would do better to just vote.

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:50 pm

The biggest pisser is the bump in the polls for the Republicans.
The Dems shamed themselves a bit too much this time.
Any means to an end? Not when the end itself then comes into question.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:19 pm

TBH, the most important thing for the Midterms 2018 should be a really high voter participation, from either side. We need to know if 2016 was just a fluke or if we should redouble our efforts to emigrate.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:36 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:19 pm
TBH, the most important thing for the Midterms 2018 should be a really high voter participation, from either side. We need to know if 2016 was just a fluke or if we should redouble our efforts to emigrate.
I hear Mexico is nice. Plus they might build a wall!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:05 pm

Everyone go outside and shout: "The Repubs are going to take away your healthcare!"
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Abdul Alhazred
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Yes that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:58 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:18 pm
Be on the safe side and cast some spells too.

That'll counteract all those Republicans praying in the other direction. :P
Aldous Huxley wrote:A government with a comprehensive plan for the betterment of society is a government that uses torture.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:14 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:58 pm
TJrandom wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:18 pm
Be on the safe side and cast some spells too.

That'll counteract all those Republicans praying in the other direction. :P
I did... I did. I cast a spell on Republicans to pray. I took some sake, sipped a bit, and then spewed a tad from between my teeth. That’ll do it for sure. Since we know that prayer doesn`t do squat except be-smug the prayer -it`ll waste their time. Maybe they will get so content in their stupor that they won`t actually vote, except thru prayer.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:15 am

Have they been told yet that they can vote at their Sunday services? :twisted:
Lard, save me from your followers.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:29 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:15 am
Have they been told yet that they can vote at their Sunday services? :twisted:
Naw - didn`t want to give them any ideas - lest every polling station be declared a church.

Walter

Post by Walter » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:38 pm

To be honest, my older brother and I had a good laugh when all this Kavanaugh stuff started. Now, we would never condone aggressive behavior toward girls. We had two younger sisters and we would have kicked rear ends if we found out they were treated poorly.

Our teenage years were in the 1960s, so our perspective might be a little different than some on this forum. We were, to put it mildly, wild. I cannot remember their names, but I could thank two girls in particular for teaching me a lot about human anatomy. I only wish they had not been so pushy.

And then there were the three girls who introduced me to what I think was hashish (round seeds and twigs in a pipe lined with aluminum foil with holes). Whatever it was, I had some very bizarre hallucinations. It was my first and last experience with smoking anything other than cigarettes. I could blame them for starting me down the rode to alcohol treatment in 1987, but I do not. It was all my doing, starting beer and cigarettes in the 7th grade. Wait, it was my brother’s fault. Damn him!!

Once politics gets us talking about elementary school, I will then start voting.

I was wondering if I should send this over to the Politics section. It might not be received very well.

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:19 pm

Only politics can explain how a 35 year old story from high school could be expected to carry some weight at a Senate confirmation hearing for a nominee to the Supreme Court.

The public has more sense than the politicians give them credit for.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:38 am

I'm not sure how his behaviour (even if it were illegal) from 35 years ago should affect his becoming a member of the Supreme Court, but I am pretty sure that lying during his job interview should have made him unsuitable for the position.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:22 am

Gord wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:38 am
I'm not sure how his behaviour (even if it were illegal) from 35 years ago should affect his becoming a member of the Supreme Court, but I am pretty sure that lying during his job interview should have made him unsuitable for the position.
From his side of things, he's not the one lying.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:51 am

landrew wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:22 am
Gord wrote:
Um, what? If he's lying, he's lying, regardless of which side he's on. That's what "lying" means.
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:07 am

Gord wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:51 am
landrew wrote:
Gord wrote:
Um, what? If he's lying, he's lying, regardless of which side he's on. That's what "lying" means.
Kavanaugh did angrily deny everything, and say his accusers were lying. The other tribe claims the opposite, because well, they're the other tribe.
I didn't think I'd need to explain relativism here, but suffice to to say, it involves defining things in your own favor and relative to your own bias.
Actually, I'm not so surprised.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:03 am

landrew wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:07 am
Gord wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:51 am
landrew wrote:
Gord wrote:
Kavanaugh did angrily deny everything, and say his accusers were lying. The other tribe claims the opposite, because well, they're the other tribe.
I didn't think I'd need to explain relativism here, but suffice to to say, it involves defining things in your own favor and relative to your own bias.
Actually, I'm not so surprised.
I still don't follow. What does the he said/she said stuff have to do with the lies he told?

Take this one, for instance: Kavanaugh said that Ford's allegations were refuted by the three people she said were also at the party. That's not true -- NONE of them refuted what she said. The best he could have said was that none of them corroborated her story. "Refuted" and "did not corroborate" are two very different things, and he should know that because he's a judge.
Last edited by Gord on Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:46 am

And didn't his (possible) additional lies take attention away from his earlier allegedly committed perjury?
Lard, save me from your followers.