My composing dream

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

Re: My composing dream

Postby Tom Palven » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:04 am

Poodle wrote:But we can help ...
Doh, a deer, a female deer.
Re, a drop of golden sun ... ...

ALLLLLLLLtogether .....

Here's another we can sing along with:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=de ... &FORM=VIRE
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:28 pm

Wordbird wrote:I like Distant Future okay. There's no background instruments, but it's not too bad.

Which one is that? Is it the one that sounds like a chicken in a garbage disposal or the one that sounds like a cat in a trash compactor?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Omniverse
Poster

Postby Omniverse » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:58 am

To show that I'm not lying when I say I have created great tunes in my head, I will share one of my tunes which someone has successfully conveyed for me:

https://youtu.be/IuTvz0yBoFE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

No music skill at all / Matt MSV

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:27 am

Omniverse wrote:To show that I'm not lying when I say I have created great tunes in my head, I will share one of my tunes which someone has successfully conveyed for me:

That was absolutely awful. It was the same recording that you made five years ago with some idiot ( probably yourself ) adding echo, a sample of the same voice in fifths and a monophonic note to each beat.

It is clear you have no idea what chords are, or any understanding of keys or scales. Your post is an insult to any forum member who can actually play a musical instrument.
:lol:

Go away.

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Monster » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:28 am

Omniverse wrote:To show that I'm not lying when I say I have created great tunes in my head, I will share one of my tunes which someone has successfully conveyed for me:

Sorry, but that was not a great tune. Nor was it 3 great tunes.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:00 am

It was also three years old. Have you nothing more recent, Omnibach, or have you done sod all since?

Omniverse
Poster

Re: No music skill at all / Matt MSV

Postby Omniverse » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:55 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:

That was absolutely awful. It was the same recording that you made five years ago with some idiot ( probably yourself ) adding echo, a sample of the same voice in fifths and a monophonic note to each beat.

It is clear you have no idea what chords are, or any understanding of keys or scales. Your post is an insult to any forum member who can actually play a musical instrument.
:lol:

Go away.

Monster wrote:

Sorry, but that was not a great tune. Nor was it 3 great tunes.

Poodle wrote:It was also three years old. Have you nothing more recent, Omnibach, or have you done sod all since?

If those tunes are catchy, then that's something worth praising and appreciating. It says that I am creating catchy tunes in my head and that should be enough right there to appreciate for now. Too many people complain and they don't appreciate the beautiful, amazing, and good things in life.

If a work of art has good qualities, but many bad qualities, then many people complain and call the whole work of art awful when, in fact, there are still good qualities about that artwork worth appreciating. Sure, constructive criticism is needed in order for a person to improve. But such criticism shouldn't dismiss the good qualities of an artwork worth appreciating.

So, yes, those tunes might be awful in certain regards. But, if they are still catchy tunes and convey scenes, then that is a good quality worth praising and appreciating. Even the people in the comments section of the video appreciate this. Therefore, a fair assessment of my tunes would be something like:

"Man, those tunes are awful in certain areas! But, wow, they are catchy and convey scenes! I see great potential in you as a composer. But these specific areas still need improvement."

This would really be no different than if someone was a dancer and there were some judges. If the dancer had good form, but poor timing, then his good form was something worth praising and appreciating. From there, his timing should be criticized. But to say that this dancer is awful and has no talent would be an unfair assessment since that would be leaving out things worth appreciating.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Poodle » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:29 pm

No. They're not 'catchy'. At all.
Unless you're tone deaf. Are you tone deaf, Omniverse? Ah - but how would you know if you were actually tone deaf. This needs more thought.

Omniverse
Poster

Postby Omniverse » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:00 pm

Poodle wrote:No. They're not 'catchy'. At all.
Unless you're tone deaf. Are you tone deaf, Omniverse? Ah - but how would you know if you were actually tone deaf. This needs more thought.

I think I might have a difficult time telling the difference between the real catchy tunes I hear in my mind as opposed to what's been produced in reality. So, from my perspective, the tunes in that video are the real, catchy ones I had in my mind all along.

But perhaps they're really not which is the reason why other people say they're not catchy when they listen to them. Or maybe they are good and catchy and you're just having too high of a standard when it comes to what you deem as a good or catchy tune, theme, or song.

After all, many people liked the video, there weren't that many dislikes, and all the people in the comments section loved these tunes. So, I think this clearly shows you're having too high of a standard. I really love people like the ones in the comment section who are able to appreciate and praise works of art that deserve appreciation and praise.

Again, I do agree with the idea that constructive criticism should be offered in addition to praise. But I don't agree that constructive criticism should completely overshadow any praise that is deserved and neither do I agree that praise should completely overshadow any constructive criticism.

In other words, people should offer constructive criticism that is deserved as well as any praise that is deserved and not just one or the other. They should also keep their standards at a reasonable level and not so high that they can't appreciate things.
Last edited by Omniverse on Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:02 pm, edited 7 times in total.

landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby landrew » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:02 pm

I was once in line for the Nobel Peace Prize in Physics...

Sorry, I thought it said, "decomposing dream."
:oops:
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Poodle » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:06 pm

landrew wrote:I was once in line for the Nobel Peace Prize in Physics...:

It's difficult to make that line scan properly, landrew, so possibly not a good example for a man looking for a catchy tune. :singnew:

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Monster » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:27 pm

Hey, Omniverse, if you like your stuff, then I'm glad for you. I tend to like my own music more than other people like it, so I can sympathize.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:19 am

Omniverse AKA MattMVS7 AKA Kamil wrote:After all, many people liked the video, there weren't that many dislikes, and all the people in the comments section loved these tunes.
No they weren't. They were laughing at you. That's why people "remix" your awful music to get you to say more stupid things.

Remember, you threatened to kill anyone who didn't like your music.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Omniverse AKA MattMVS7 AKA Kamil wrote:Everyone must always be cool to me. In other words, I must always get a good vibe from them. If they show a bad attitude towards me and show scorn and/or detest towards me, then they die. I don't care who they are and I don't care what situation it is. Even if it is a situation that others would deem as very minor such as getting in an argument with someone. As long as they give off a loathsome bad vibe to me through their display of scorn, frown, and detest towards me, then they all die by my hands.

http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index ... ent-877173

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:51 pm

Poodle wrote:
landrew wrote:I was once in line for the Nobel Peace Prize in Physics...:

It's difficult to make that line scan properly, landrew, so possibly not a good example for a man looking for a catchy tune. :singnew:

You were all nominated for Nobel prizes multiple times. I did it personally! Does no one remember this mighty honour??

Reminder: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=13129&p=510630#p510630
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Omniverse
Poster

Postby Omniverse » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:13 pm

Poodle wrote:No. They're not 'catchy'. At all.

To answer this question, I don't think I am tone deaf. If a person were to play two keys a tone or semitone a part, I would be able to hear the difference. Also, when I look at the keyboard or a music sheet, I know all my note names. If anyone were to choose a note on the keyboard or a music sheet, I would be able to tell them what note name it is (such as if it's a C#, a D, a G#, etc.).

But, if I were to look away and someone were to play notes, I wouldn't be able to tell them what notes they are. Another thing. If someone were to sing a song (such as someone on American Idol), I wouldn't be able to tell if that person is off pitch or not. That might give the impression that I'm tone deaf. But, if I really was tone deaf, I wouldn't be able to perceive the difference between two pitches when a person plays two keys on the keyboard.
Last edited by Omniverse on Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:33 am

Omniverse wrote:Also, when I look at the keyboard, I know all my note names. If anyone were to choose a note on the keyboard, I would be able to tell them what note name it is (such as if it's a C#, a D, a G#, etc.).

You just gave away that you do not know your scales and cannot read sheet music. :lol: :lol:

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:20 am

We also have this old post from MattMSV7 aka Omniverse from 2016. He makes the same post every three months, on our forum, as he is a troll. :lol:

MattMVS7 wrote:I had a composing dream to live for. My belief in the afterlife is what inspired my composing and nothing else inspired my composing.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=26899&p=518332&hilit=composing#p518332

Omniverse
Poster

Postby Omniverse » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:40 am

I think this tune should definitely be something good and catchy. I have added some chords to it unlike my other tunes. I will give you both the soundcloud link to it and the youtube link:

Soundcloud link:

https://soundcloud.com/user-432115982/m ... tunefinal2

Youtube link:

https://youtu.be/DCNc0bs6PFQ

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:24 am

Ugh. No. It's like something a child would practice on a synthesizer to drive his parents insane in the 70s.
#ANDAMOVIE

Omniverse
Poster

Postby Omniverse » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:29 am

Gord wrote:Ugh. No. It's like something a child would practice on a synthesizer to drive his parents insane in the 70s.

What's missing to convey the greatness and catchiness of this tune then?

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Poodle » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:41 pm

Whoops!!!!
See below.
If you REALLY want to ...
Last edited by Poodle on Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Poodle » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:45 pm

Talent?
Omniverse, anyone can set up a sequencer firing off a drum machine. Your technology isn't in question - it's your musical skill which appears to be, shall we say, minimal.
Normal for Zelda, I'd say.

Omniverse
Poster

Postby Omniverse » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:26 pm

Poodle wrote:Talent?
Omniverse, anyone can set up a sequencer firing off a drum machine. Your technology isn't in question - it's your musical skill which appears to be, shall we say, minimal.
Normal for Zelda, I'd say.

First of all, there was more to that tune than just that drum part. The drum part was just the intro into the main part. Second, how do you know that this tune I've just shared is awful and/or gibberish? All I have is the notes to this tune (along with chords and a beat). It's not a fully crafted tune which means the greatness and catchiness of my tune hasn't been conveyed yet. I'm hoping it can be conveyed at this stage. But, it could be the case that more is needed to convey it and that what I have now still isn't good enough.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Poodle » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:23 pm

How do I know? Because I have ears, I play a small number of musical instruments and I have, in the past, been paid real money to do so. Because I've done a bit of study in the music field - not a great deal, but this question doesn't demand a great deal. Your 'tune' is, at best, a run-of-the-mill game ditty (which is what it's actually meant to be, eh?), it doesn't follow the normal requirements of musicality (what note did it end on, eh?), and the very words you're using to describe your 'musical antics' tell me you haven't made the slightest effort to educate yourself to improve your vestigial talents. It's also incredibly short given the amount of time you've spent on it.
Tell you what, Omnibus, you should get away from Zelda and take a look around the real world. I don't think it will improve your talent but it may give you an idea of how much good music is around which isn't directed at a kids' game, and it may give you something else to use as a theme. I assume you're allowed out into the real world?

Omniverse
Poster

Postby Omniverse » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:46 pm

Poodle wrote:How do I know? Because I have ears, I play a small number of musical instruments and I have, in the past, been paid real money to do so. Because I've done a bit of study in the music field - not a great deal, but this question doesn't demand a great deal. Your 'tune' is, at best, a run-of-the-mill game ditty (which is what it's actually meant to be, eh?), it doesn't follow the normal requirements of musicality (what note did it end on, eh?), and the very words you're using to describe your 'musical antics' tell me you haven't made the slightest effort to educate yourself to improve your vestigial talents. It's also incredibly short given the amount of time you've spent on it.
Tell you what, Omnibus, you should get away from Zelda and take a look around the real world. I don't think it will improve your talent but it may give you an idea of how much good music is around which isn't directed at a kids' game, and it may give you something else to use as a theme. I assume you're allowed out into the real world?

The tune ends on a C note and the key it's in is C Major. Also, the tune is very short because it's just a very small example and not anything fully crafted. I didn't spend much time on it either. Lastly, I do listen to music other than video game themes. My mother listens to great music such as Michael Jackson and other songs.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Zero musical talent contest

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:13 am

Omniverse AKA MatMSV7 AKA Kamil AKA Anthony wrote: The tune ends on a C note and the key it's in is C Major.
Fascinating. You mean you only used the white keys because you don't know any scales?

Is that right?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:02 am

Omniverse wrote:
Gord wrote:Ugh. No. It's like something a child would practice on a synthesizer to drive his parents insane in the 70s.

It has some slight catchiness due to its incessant repetitive beat but I hear no greatness in it at all, and the incessant repetitive beat begins to grow annoying after a few seconds. Its level of catchiness is somewhere between a dripping faucet and a cuckoo clock announcing 12 noon. I like cuckoo clocks, but if it cuckoos more than 12 times it gets annoying.
#ANDAMOVIE

Omniverse
Poster

Postby Omniverse » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:46 pm

Gord wrote:
Omniverse wrote:

It has some slight catchiness due to its incessant repetitive beat but I hear no greatness in it at all, and the incessant repetitive beat begins to grow annoying after a few seconds. Its level of catchiness is somewhere between a dripping faucet and a cuckoo clock announcing 12 noon. I like cuckoo clocks, but if it cuckoos more than 12 times it gets annoying.

Remember that there's the main part of this tune and not just that beat in the beginning. Now, it could be the case that you're having an unreasonably high standard when it comes to what you deem as a good, catchy tune. Hence the reason why you can't appreciate the greatness and catchiness of this tune. Or, it could be the case that the great, catchy tune I'm trying to convey isn't being conveyed for whatever reason. A third possibility is that the tune I'm trying to convey has, in fact, been conveyed. But it's not as great and catchy as I think it is. I have no way of knowing which possibility it is.
Last edited by Omniverse on Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Poodle » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:14 pm

Methinks you're taking the piss, Omniverse.

Omniverse
Poster

Postby Omniverse » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:17 pm

Poodle wrote:Methinks you're taking the piss, Omniverse.

Pointing out the flaws and helping me improve my craft is a great idea. But, just because there are flaws shouldn't all of a sudden deem my music as nothing great and catchy. For example, I could take a powerful portion of a song by Michael Jackson, repeat it to drag it on for too long, and I could add some flaws to it such as crackles, pops, and make it low quality sound.

Even though it's just a short tune of MJ's music, isn't a full song, and has many flaws, it would still be great, catchy, and would still convey powerful, memorable, profound emotion. Even if MJ himself created just a short tune with some flaws and shared that, it would still be great.

This is what I mean here when I say that people need to appreciate the greatness and catchiness of music because I should be able to share short tunes that have flaws and still have them deemed as great, catchy tunes. Making a fully crafted, flawless song would, therefore, be something completely optional.

Sure, making a full song without flaws would make my music much better. But it's optional and isn't necessary to make my music great. As long as my music meets the minimal requirements to convey its greatness and catchiness, then that should be good enough for my music to be great and catchy.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:28 pm

Omniverse wrote:A third possibility is that the tune I'm trying to convey has, in fact, been conveyed. But it's not as great and catchy as I think it is.

That. It's that.

I have no way of knowing which possibility it is.

Yes you do, we're telling you. Everyone is telling you.
#ANDAMOVIE

Omniverse
Poster

Postby Omniverse » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:58 pm

Gord wrote:
Omniverse wrote:A third possibility is that the tune I'm trying to convey has, in fact, been conveyed. But it's not as great and catchy as I think it is.

That. It's that.

I have no way of knowing which possibility it is.

Yes you do, we're telling you. Everyone is telling you.

But, like I said before, there's more to conveying tunes than just having the melody down. You must have the proper beat, harmony, and chords. So, it could be the case that I just don't have the right choice of beat and chords. There might also be additional harmonic elements needed to convey my tunes as well.

Given this, this tune might not have been conveyed. I mean, the chords and beat I've chosen still adhere to the key signature (C Major). But I could just be having the wrong choice of beat and chords. My choice might be very basic and generic. This choice might instead be conveying my tune in a whole new way.

So, it might be perceived as a completely different tune than the tune I'm trying to convey. I think various choices of beat, chords, and harmony will convey your melodies in many different ways and the idea is to have the right choice to convey the melody how you want it to be perceived.

So, that's why I think I must learn more about music theory in order to convey my tunes how I want them to be conveyed. I already know the great, catchy tune I'm trying to convey. But perhaps it's being conveyed entirely different for other listeners due to my choice of beat, chords, and there being no additional harmonic elements. Maybe this is the reason why other people are telling me this tune is nothing good and catchy.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Poodle » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:02 pm

Omniverse wrote:... So, that's why I think I must learn more about music theory ...

You got it.
And lose 'catchy'. It's meaningless.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:00 am

Poodle wrote:
Omniverse wrote:... So, that's why I think I must learn more about music theory ...

You got it.

That.
#ANDAMOVIE

Io
Poster

Postby Io » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:23 am

Poodle wrote:

You got it.

And also 'great', unless you alter the spelling.

Return to “General Discussion”