Google the phone number

Step right up for 3-card Monte...
landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts

Google the phone number

Postby landrew » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:27 am

I got a robocall threatening serious consequences from the "tax department" if I didn't call back right away. It includes language like, "we can't be responsible if this thing falls on you." I reported the scam, but I wasn't the first at all.
How dumb do you have to be?
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Io
Poster

Re: Google the phone number

Postby Io » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:22 am

My parents get calls all the time from chaps with Indian accents telling them 'their Microsoft is errors' and they should give them money and remote access. These 'experts' get really rude when I'm visiting, take over the call and they realise that I know a lot more about OSes, software and infrastructure than they do.

I wonder if you can get an app that auto-googles a call with an unknown number as it's ringing and displays the first few results.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:38 am

landrew wrote:I got a robocall threatening serious consequences from the "tax department" if I didn't call back right away. It includes language like, "we can't be responsible if this thing falls on you." I reported the scam, but I wasn't the first at all.

This dumb: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.4719018
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby landrew » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:30 pm

Gord wrote:
landrew wrote:I got a robocall threatening serious consequences from the "tax department" if I didn't call back right away. It includes language like, "we can't be responsible if this thing falls on you." I reported the scam, but I wasn't the first at all.

This dumb: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.4719018

Bad enough to live with the shame, then reporters show up, write up your story, get you to sign the release for publication...
Why, oh why make it so much worse?
Oh well, 15 minutes of fame, I guess.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:13 pm

Tax auditors don't phone you and tell you you are being audited. They show up and either do the audit if small, or take your records including computers. The guy should have known that.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Return to “Scams and Con Games”