4 year old sociopaths

What you think about how you think.
bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: 4 year old sociopaths

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:38 pm

Do the emoji's not move...…..unless there is only one? Regardless...….I could still use more emojis. Matt relates to them.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby landrew » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:41 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Do the emoji's not move...…..unless there is only one? Regardless...….I could still use more emojis. Matt relates to them.

It's a regular peanut gallery down there. He'll love it.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:43 pm

Exept……..if there is one emoji he doesn't like, he'll call it stupid and focus only on it.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:45 pm

I went back to page one. The emojis are moving now. I guess they need time to warm up?

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:34 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
landrew wrote:You seem quite supportive of a jealous, backwards and hostile nation, who has already damaged the US democratic process. Closer to collusion than not, I'd say.
You idiot. This is not a US focused forum. It is the International Skeptic Society. We support science, You support what ever your religions belief is, WE don't.

There's a difference between being supporting of Putin and the Russian government and recognizing that other cultures have value.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:44 pm

Seems to me...…………………………..there are MORE reasons to not support Putin than to support him? Same with Trump??

What is this default to submission?

landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby landrew » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:27 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Seems to me...…………………………..there are MORE reasons to not support Putin than to support him? Same with Trump??

What is this default to submission?

What are the reasons to support him? Seriously. The Russian economy is smaller than New York State. Russia sells oil and exports very little. The system is very corrupt and the business climate is rife with fear and intimidation. Most foreign investors have been bullied out of Russia after making considerable contributions.
Putin invaded a sovereign nation and occupied part of it. For that he was expelled from the G8. He does not recognize human rights, and he is purported to have stolen an expensive watch that was being displayed in his honor. He has stolen billions, or perhaps trillions from his own citizens, for his personal gain.
What exactly is it about such a sociopathic man that engenders such sympathy and a desire for appeasement and approval?
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:47 am

Landrews has claimed Russians are "primitive" and "culturally 400 years behind the West" and suffers from "Communist indoctrination". None of this is based on any fact, but how Landrews was indoctrinated to hate Russians at his western school. landrews has never been to Russia. The skeptics on the forum, simply and correctly see Russia as different.

Oddly this "primitive" country, Russia, has managed to use low education standards in part of the population, in the USA to trick people into voting for their own chosen president, Donald Trump. Oddly this "primitive country", has to supply the USA with space ships to get to the ISS as the USA don't have a working spaceship. For a "primitive" country, Russia is doing quite well.

The West doesn't vote for Putin
It is stupidity to think if we should we hate or support Putin. The correct point of view is that the West should simply interact with Russia so as bring about the best result for all parties. Russia is very aware it is not going to take back the old Soviet Union. Russia simply took back Russia provinces assigned by Khrushchev to Ukraine in the 50s, as economic compensation for stripping all Ukrainian industry to Russia as the Nazis invaded in WWII. The population is Russian. (No Ukrainians fought in the Crimean War.....because they were in Ukraine, not the Crimea.)

Russia has been very naughty recently, influencing the US elections. Seeking revenge for the USA supporting and manipulating Boris Yeltsin, when Communism fell is not justification for Russia to do this. The solution is not for Russia to hate the USA or the USA to hate Russia....but some mutual UN agreement for both sides to stop in the future.

Trump is removing the USA from Europe and the trade tariffs are going to push Europe back towards Russia to maintain European GDP. That's why the Russian put Trump into the presidency. It is also becoming clearer that Russia paid for Nigel Farages' Brexit campaign to remove the UK from Europe for the same reason. The solution is for all countries to reverse this stupid behaviour and simultaneously work out some way for Russia to get sanctions dropped and allow its economy to integrate more with Europe. That probably means accepting the return of Eastern Ukraine and Crimea to the Russian Federation.

landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby landrew » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:51 am

I'm not in awe of 65 year old sociopaths like Vladimir Putin.
And I don't have a very high opinion of those who are.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:39 am

landrew wrote:I'm not in awe of 65 year old sociopaths like Vladimir Putin.

Firstly, I have never said I was in awe of Putin.

Secondly, your comments about Russians "eating lard" , being "primitive" and "culturally backwards" based on your cold war western school indoctrination, displays how worthless your opinion is.
:lol:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:21 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:]Firstly, I have never said I was in awe of Putin.
True. You just post with the false equivalency that what Putin is doing should be accepted for reasons not given with some slack jawed reference to history or culture.

Matthew Ellard wrote: Secondly, your comments about Russians "eating lard" , being "primitive" and "culturally backwards" based on your cold war western school indoctrination, displays how worthless your opinion is. [/color] :lol:
Ha, ha....true again. Although I was offered lard with my bread on my First Class Volga River Cruise. Potatoes and Cabbage with very little meat as well. Food tasted great....including the Lard. Also, it is rather easy to confuse a backward culture with a lower standard of living. Two different things, with lots of overlap?

Putin is a thug. Trump is a Thug wanna-be and embarrassingly similar to Putin. Not so the European Leaders.

No reason to "hate" Putin for that, but no reason to let your guard down as if he was some dare I say "just a competitor?" I won't dither about your conflating Putin choices as if they were "Russia's." Again: two totally different issues you conflate. The equivalency I do think is valid is simply to recognize that "Russia" aka Putin, has the same national concerns as any State Leader: its territorial and sovereignty issues. Same as any other Nation, same as USA. As USA crept towards Russia in violation of promises not to do so by increasing NATO and providing arms to contiguous states to Russia.....USA should have expected nothing else, or even worse, than what Putin has done.

Its the way of the world: realpolitik.

landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby landrew » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:00 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
landrew wrote:I'm not in awe of 65 year old sociopaths like Vladimir Putin.

Firstly, I have never said I was in awe of Putin.

Secondly, your comments about Russians "eating lard" , being "primitive" and "culturally backwards" based on your cold war western school indoctrination, displays how worthless your opinion is.

Several of my Russian friends have told me about eating lard on a biscuit. In Soviet times, it was always a struggle to eat enough calories.

You really shouldn't try to refute with denial.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:40 pm

I don't fancy the lard too much - but there's a similar product called beef dripping. It's basically the same thing but from beef (obviously) but salted and spread on cold toast, it's delicious. You'd have to kill me to get at my beef dripping.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:58 pm

Poodle wrote:I don't fancy the lard too much - but there's a similar product called beef dripping. It's basically the same thing but from beef (obviously) but salted and spread on cold toast, it's delicious. You'd have to kill me to get at my beef dripping.

Is it the fat source that makes a difference....or the salt? I've read the lard our ancestors ate was very different than the lard we have available today. Pigs bread specifically for it......no longer done. I have both lard and tallow, bacon and schmaltz. Out of duck at the moment. Hmmmm….too much other stuff to eat....the fat taste test will have to wait.

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:26 pm

landrew wrote:Several of my Russian friends have told me about eating lard on a biscuit. In Soviet times, it was always a struggle to eat enough calories.

So because people in the Soviet Union (a country which hasn't existed for more than a quarter century) ate lard on biscuits in times of insufficient food supply, that means Russians now in a time of relative prosperity eat lard as a choice and because they eat something that you don't think sounds good (which they don't anyway), that means they are socially 400 years in the past?
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby landrew » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:30 pm

Austin Harper wrote:
landrew wrote:Several of my Russian friends have told me about eating lard on a biscuit. In Soviet times, it was always a struggle to eat enough calories.

So because people in the Soviet Union (a country which hasn't existed for more than a quarter century) ate lard on biscuits in times of insufficient food supply, that means Russians now in a time of relative prosperity eat lard as a choice and because they eat something that you don't think sounds good (which they don't anyway), that means they are socially 400 years in the past?

You can be a fan if you like.
I don't hate them for being backwards.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:21 am

No, but it seems you think they're backwards because you hate them, that's all they're saying. I think.

Anyways....

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:04 am

landrew wrote: You really shouldn't try to refute with denial.
Or I can reach for my Russian cookbook and laugh at your errors. :lol:

сало is traditional long term cured, pork belly with Paprika or smoked, served with other dishes......in all Slavic Countries (That includes Poland, Croatia and the Baltic countries as well as Russia.)

That what makes your anti-Russian indoctrination so obvious. You forget that most of Eastern Europe is Slavic, eats the same food, and you use the wrong translation to suggest long term cured pork belly is "Lard"

The Slavic word "salo" or "slanina" as applied to this type of food (it has other meanings as well) is often translated to English as "bacon" or "lard".

Are Texans starving because they eat bacon on bread? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Рецепт сала, запеченное сало в хлебном тесте.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuLNHarMtvw

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:16 am

Gord wrote:No, but it seems you think they're backwards because you hate them, that's all they're saying.

We considering landrews has never been to Russia, uses the mistranslated word "Lard" for "bacon" , forgets Slavic traditional food covers Poland and Croatia across to Vladivostok, forgets that American also eat bacon sandwiches and relies on his "ex-Russian" friends, who called bacon Lard because they also can't speak Russian....

...and he hates Russia.
:D

Landrews? Have you ever even been to a Slavic country?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:42 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote: I have both lard and tallow, bacon and schmaltz.

Thank you for that. Schmaltz is Yiddish food from Poland, a Slavic country. It is

"chicken or goose fat used for frying or as a spread on bread in Central European cuisine, and in the United States"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmaltz

I assume landrews thinks people in the United States are starving and forced to eat Schmaltz as their only source of protein, using the same incorrect assumption he made about Russia.

Landrews is not very good at this skeptic way of thinking and obviously has limited experience to world cuisine.

Schmaltz Roasted Potatoes with Gribenes Recipe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfzfPEojt9g

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:12 am

Off Topic.
In one of those odd coincidences, Mash potato Schmaltz is a lyric in a 1973 Roxy Music song

Do the Strand
"Weary of the Waltz
And mashed potato schmaltz"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykMdLEXQ4fQ

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:39 am

I started collecting the different fats as I made my own sausage. The fat to meat ratio is important. Learned it in sausages and applied it to hamburgers. Always have collected chicken fat from the "chicken cordon blue" days when chicken is on sale and I will cook up 4-5-6 of them and freeze for different meals. It doesn't make sense to me to throw rendered fat out, then go out and buy a commercial not as healthy hydrogenated or trans-fat product. I've learned to "like" chicken and pork fat as a spread just as a way to get rid of it. I still go to olive oil and real butter for the taste and recipes that call for solid or liquid fat. Haven't had margarine in decades.

Pros and cons to all we do...……….just a hobby.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Poodle » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:55 am

Anything which keeps margarine at bay can only be a good thing. Thousands died in the immediate post-war period in the UK from margarine. It's as contagious as all Hell. If you know anyone with margarine, steer well clear until you know that a margarine-free zone has been established for at least six weeks.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:14 pm

I'm not aware that margarine is "that" bad for you. I have it on my "not recommended list" so this is good to know. Easy enough to avoid these days....whether it is only bad for you or really bad.

Just how bad are transfats?....and now I thought most margarines did away with them? If I used it at all, I'd look it up.

landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby landrew » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:38 pm

Unfortunately butter is a commodity, and marketing boards have been known to tie up large quantities of butter in warehouses to create a false scarcity, so that prices stay high. This is called "supply management," and it's one of the reasons for the 270% disparity between Canadian and US dairy products.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:08 pm

Probably explains why whipping cream is so expensive too? I do enjoy a white Russian now and then.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Poodle » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:05 pm

No, no, bobbo. You said "Haven't had margarine in decades". Like "Haven't had plague for years".

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:30 pm

landrew wrote:Unfortunately butter is a commodity, and marketing boards have been known to tie up large quantities of butter in warehouses to create a false scarcity, so that prices stay high. This is called "supply management," and it's one of the reasons for the 270% disparity between Canadian and US dairy products.

Very much the pattern here - agricultural organisations setting prices and market access. Play by the rules and you can sell like everbody else, but step outside and your excess produce can`t even be sold at a discount. We have annual cabbage and butter dirths, so the government imports, warehouses, and releases to the associations who then release to wholesalers. No private enterprise had better get caught imporing directly. And rice...

landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby landrew » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:13 pm

TJrandom wrote:
landrew wrote:Unfortunately butter is a commodity, and marketing boards have been known to tie up large quantities of butter in warehouses to create a false scarcity, so that prices stay high. This is called "supply management," and it's one of the reasons for the 270% disparity between Canadian and US dairy products.

Very much the pattern here - agricultural organisations setting prices and market access. Play by the rules and you can sell like everbody else, but step outside and your excess produce can`t even be sold at a discount. We have annual cabbage and butter dirths, so the government imports, warehouses, and releases to the associations who then release to wholesalers. No private enterprise had better get caught imporing directly. And rice...

Warehousing maple syrup and eggs seems somewhat forgivable by the general public, where helping farmers is concerned but someone tried to corner the supply of blue-fin tuna by over-fishing, and thousands of tons of tuna are now in frozen storage. The species is endangered as a result.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:31 am

landrew wrote:
TJrandom wrote:

Warehousing maple syrup and eggs seems somewhat forgivable by the general public, where helping farmers is concerned but someone tried to corner the supply of blue-fin tuna by over-fishing, and thousands of tons of tuna are now in frozen storage. The species is endangered as a result.

Yes, maple trees, chickens, and even cows are unlikely to become endangered - but the overfishing and cold storage is the same support mechanism - but for fishermen, who vote for the party that feeds them high prices and a continued lifestyle. It is all wasteful.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:46 am

I just threw out a dozen eggs that were 6 months old...……….all floaters. Never had a floater before. Eggs last a long time but not warehousing...…...unless......they are processed first? OK....that makes sense. I don't want to live in a world without Tuna. I assume the Japanese are working on a replacement using jellyfish?

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Poodle » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:39 pm

Also, welcome to the EU, where such a thing is termed the 'butter mountain'.

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:06 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Russia is somewhat an enigma, to me anyway. I thought of it as "Slavic" until I vacationed there. They are all Vikings!!!! And they do seem to be at the leading edge in several scientific areas.

I read last week that when the next world wide depression comes, Russia may be on top as since its own last economic crisis Russia (ie: PUTIN!!!) put in place economic policies to keep the ruble sound...….and it is. Very little debt in Russia. I don't know how that all works to Putin's personal advantage...but I assume it does.

Thing is: Putin won't live forever. The change will be fascinating.

what if he gets old and realizes he is losing control . he knows he has a lot of enemies .
he might decide to take everyone with him

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:41 am

Don't confuse Putin with all the religious types. How could Putin go down in history as the Great Man he knows he is if he ends history?

Return to “Brain, Mind, & Consciousness”