Two big recent losses for American letters

Read any good books lately?
Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Unlimited_Oracular_Guidance

Two big recent losses for American letters

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Wed May 23, 2018 2:09 pm

As you know, we lost Tom Wolfe a few weeks ago, and now we've lost Philip Roth. In my view, Roth was the best American writer of the second half of the twentieth century, and Wolfe was No. 2, though not really in Roth's league. They both wrote with deep sympathy and understanding about ordinary Americans. Never mentioned in the long list of Roth's writings that the news media cite is what I regard as his masterpiece, When She Was Good, which I read back in 1974. I was struck by how sensitively he wrote about the typical Midwestern Protestants who were the dominant culture of the time in the US. It's an injustice that he never got the Nobel Prize.

As for Wolfe, I liked Bonfire of the Vanities, but I think his best was the novelette Ambush at Fort Bragg, which, like Roth's work, explores class distinctions in the US and gives even an elitist like me a great deal of sympathy for the Rednecks. They have a hard life, and if they are somewhat crude and unrefined, they can't help it. Wolfe makes the reader understand that and neatly deflates the pretensions of the "refaned" people who look down on them.
"Still, doubts gnawed at everyone. And under no circumstances could I acknowledge my own similar doubts. In order to coax the participants into psychic stability, I had to appear to be rock-solidly convinced of the necessity of carrying out this horrifyingly cruel command."

Rudolf Höß, hanged facing Auschwitz, the camp he commanded, in April 1947. He admitted to 1.1 to 1.5 million murders carried out under his command. Eichmann told him the number was 2.5 million.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Two big recent losses for American letters

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed May 23, 2018 2:35 pm

Yea verily. My bucket list is full of books to re-read.

Now........there is a puzzler? What is the better course for most people?????? To re-read a favored book with the pleasure/pain/recognition of how your memory and first read was so different?........or to read an entirely new book.....before its too late???????

Pros and Cons to all we do..........the overriding Pro: read something for Noble's Sake. I see a new series starting on PBS about the Great American Novel, aka why books are good and a review of a selected group. I doubt I will like it, but its about books..............
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

Re: Two big recent losses for American letters

Postby Tom Palven » Wed May 23, 2018 4:09 pm

My favorites from Wolfe are A Man in Full, I Am Charlotte Simmons, and The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, which decribed the adventures of Ken Kesey.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Return to “The Bookshelf”