The Hawaiian volcano

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: Hywel Rudy Day

The Hawaiian volcano

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun May 06, 2018 10:53 am

Just a simple question here, now that they've ordered evacuations around the place, based on this sentence in The Atlantic's reporting:

The Atlantic wrote:And developers have constructed at least two subdivisions nearby, called Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens. Authorities ordered residents to evacuate both of them on Thursday.

What kind of moron builds a subdivision next door to a volcano? And how does he find an even bigger moron to buy into it? We get the same thing all over the Midwest and East, where people build on flood plains, and then buy flood insurance from the government (because no private company is dumb enough to do it at a price they can afford). Is there volcano insurance? I can't even buy earthquake insurance, even though I live in a place where only the most minor earthquakes occur.
"When you are studying any matter, or considering any philosophy, ask yourself only what are the facts and what is the truth that the facts bear out. Never let yourself be diverted, either by what you wish to believe, or by what you think would have beneficent social effects if it were believed. But look only, and solely, at what are the facts."

Bertrand Russell, Advice to Future Generations

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Re: The Hawaiian volcano

Postby ElectricMonk » Sun May 06, 2018 11:55 am

It's a necessary requirement to qualify for the Evil Lair tax exception.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun May 06, 2018 11:57 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:Just a simple question here, now that they've ordered evacuations around the place, based on this sentence in The Atlantic's reporting:

The Atlantic wrote:And developers have constructed at least two subdivisions nearby, called Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens. Authorities ordered residents to evacuate both of them on Thursday.

What kind of moron builds a subdivision next door to a volcano? And how does he find an even bigger moron to buy into it? We get the same thing all over the Midwest and East, where people build on flood plains, and then buy flood insurance from the government (because no private company is dumb enough to do it at a price they can afford). Is there volcano insurance? I can't even buy earthquake insurance, even though I live in a place where only the most minor earthquakes occur.
"When it's not Hell, it's a Paradise."
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun May 06, 2018 2:32 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:Just a simple question here, now that they've ordered evacuations around the place, based on this sentence in The Atlantic's reporting:

"When it's not Hell, it's a Paradise."

True indeed. I've often longed to visit there. But I wouldn't live that close to the volcanoes.
"When you are studying any matter, or considering any philosophy, ask yourself only what are the facts and what is the truth that the facts bear out. Never let yourself be diverted, either by what you wish to believe, or by what you think would have beneficent social effects if it were believed. But look only, and solely, at what are the facts."

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun May 06, 2018 2:41 pm

I lived ON Mt. Etna back in the 70s.

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun May 06, 2018 3:06 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:I lived ON Mt. Etna back in the 70s.

Hmm, in Siracusa? Home of the immortal and revered Archimedes? Wish I could. (I find it ironic that the most probable location of Archimedes's lost tomb is the courtyard of the Panorama Motel there.) It probably seemed safe for many centuries, until the eruptions a few years ago. Still, if what the geologists are saying is true, there is some risk in living anywhere in Wyoming or points up to a thousand miles east of it. Yellowstone could erupt at any time, or maybe not for thousands of years. Nobody can be sure.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun May 06, 2018 3:28 pm

I lived in Motta San Anastasia. 23 Via Zuara.

Etna is sliding into the Med.

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sun May 06, 2018 5:30 pm

I have earthquake insurance, but nothing specific to volcanos... and it is 200km to my closest volcano - Mt Fuji. I don`t have tsunami insurance and have a low risk there at 36meters from sealevel and 6km distance, but it didn`t stop an insurance salesman from trying to sell me some. Surely in Hawaii a mortgage lender would require earthquake insurance?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon May 07, 2018 3:14 am

I've walked on the lava flow from that volcano thinking it was "fun" to smell my tennis shoes melting. "Is the possible falling thru a thin spot worth the smell of burning rubber?" did go thru my mind.

Just two years ago I thought about moving to Key West, Miami, Upstate New York, or Hawaii. I googled for sale lots in the named locations: they are cheap!!!!!!!! The volcano has a history of being very "safe" and predictable: ie, as here, you get weeks/days warning of any lava flow over your house..........ha, ha.......and people still stay until its too late....meaning in the case I saw, the oldster had to be helicoptered out. Hard to be more stupid.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Mon May 07, 2018 3:18 am

Hold my beer.
trump is Putin's bitch

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Mon May 07, 2018 11:13 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:I've walked on the lava flow from that volcano thinking it was "fun" to smell my tennis shoes melting. "Is the possible falling thru a thin spot worth the smell of burning rubber?" did go thru my mind.

Just two years ago I thought about moving to Key West, Miami, Upstate New York, or Hawaii. I googled for sale lots in the named locations: they are cheap!!!!!!!! The volcano has a history of being very "safe" and predictable: ie, as here, you get weeks/days warning of any lava flow over your house..........ha, ha.......and people still stay until its too late....meaning in the case I saw, the oldster had to be helicoptered out. Hard to be more stupid.

Uh, well, I think the possibility of breaking through thin lava would be uppermost in my mind also! There was a guy with the interesting name of Harry Truman (NOT the President), who thought those egghead scientists didn't know what they were talking about back in '81 when they warned that Mt. Saint Helens was about to erupt. He wasn't leaving, he said. No one has ever found his body.

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Mon May 07, 2018 1:50 pm

Aztexan wrote:Hold my beer.

Ok, but I'm going to drink it.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon May 07, 2018 2:16 pm

Austin Harper wrote:
Aztexan wrote:Hold my beer.

Ok, but I'm going to drink it.

He'll do it! I've seen him do it!

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Mon May 07, 2018 2:41 pm

it was dormant...all of Hawaii is a volcano.... --------How Volcano Damage is Covered on Your Insurance – State Farm®

https://www.statefarm.com › Home › Residence › Insurance

Most homeowners and auto insurance policies cover you from some damage related to a volcanic eruption. ... Most homeowners policies provide coverage for property loss caused by volcanic eruption when it is the result of a volcanic blast, airborne shock waves, ash, dust, or lava flow.
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Mon May 07, 2018 2:41 pm

The Formation of the Hawaiian Islands

https://www.soest.hawaii.edu/GG/HCV/haw_formation.html

The Formation of the Hawaiian Islands. The Hawaiian Islands are volcanic in origin. Each island is made up of at least one primary volcano, although many islands are composites of more than one. The Big Island, for instance, is constructed of 5 major volcanoes: Kilauea, Mauna Loa, Mauna Kea, Hualalai and Kohala.
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Mon May 07, 2018 2:46 pm

hmm....maybe not dormant...----- Kilauea is considered one of the worlds most frequently active volcanoes. If you just look at the number of Kilauea eruptions recorded since Europeans arrived, there have been 62 eruptions in 245 years, ...--------then there are the quakes....fox--- Erupting volcano, 1,000 quakes destroy dozens of homes as residents warned to flee flaming lava

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Mon May 07, 2018 9:21 pm

Wrong again, gorgeous. Gos is mad at us and is punishing us.
trump is Putin's bitch

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Mon May 07, 2018 9:24 pm

gos?

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Mon May 07, 2018 11:17 pm

:bag:
trump is Putin's bitch

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue May 08, 2018 12:48 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote: There was a guy with the interesting name of Harry Truman (NOT the President), who thought those egghead scientists didn't know what they were talking about back in '81 when they warned that Mt. Saint Helens was about to erupt. He wasn't leaving, he said. No one has ever found his body.

Yeah....not as stupid as not leaving when you can see the wall of lava slowly approaching your house. ...... but HIS problem was not that he tried to walk on the lava but that he tried to swim in it. That really doesn't work.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue May 08, 2018 1:08 am

What a great way to go... and to dispose of your own body! Was he the virgin that stoped the eruption?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue May 08, 2018 2:55 am

Ha, ha......I'm getting a bit of ptsd remembering my day at the lava field. That really was stupid. Why did I do it?

....................and I blame: the Discovery Channel or Some NOVA program showing scientists and artists going out to collect flowing lava in their coffee cans tied to sticks.

The good lord protects fools.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Tue May 08, 2018 5:26 am

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed May 09, 2018 1:15 pm

fun with lava ........ https://youtu.be/zNCrrYAFMOs

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed May 09, 2018 1:20 pm

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed May 09, 2018 4:17 pm

why hasn't there been a wildfire there?....the jungle is burning in places...

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed May 09, 2018 4:51 pm

Big Lava is covering up the fires.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed May 09, 2018 6:27 pm

parts of trees have burned, but then it stops....

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed May 09, 2018 6:38 pm

Single living items - spaced apart, rarely thoroughly burn, not being able to retain sufficient heat. Even dead and dried wood needs to trap heat in close proximity in order to continue to burn.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed May 09, 2018 6:59 pm

2000 degrees is not hot enough?-----it must be the ingredients of the molten lava that puts out the fire...the minerals or something..... it sounds like it's frying when it's burning, too...sizzling...acid I guess...

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed May 09, 2018 7:07 pm

That which is encompassed in the 2000 degree lava is deprived of oxygen so cannot burn. That which is even slightly above the lava does not burn if it cannot retain sufficient heat.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed May 09, 2018 7:08 pm

videos show sparks flying---not in the lava but parts of it---- in wooded areas but no spreading fire...it cools too quickly?

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed May 09, 2018 7:16 pm

usatoday----The highest-profile time authorities diverted a lava flow was for a slow-moving flow in Iceland that was threatening a harbor. For five months in 1973, workers doused the front of the flow with ice-cold seawater until it ground to a halt. That required 1.5 billion gallons of water.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat May 12, 2018 12:52 pm

people have been leaving flowers and gifts near the lava for the fire goddess Pele who controls the lava flow and fire...

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun May 13, 2018 9:03 pm

gorgeous wrote:people have been leaving flowers and gifts near the lava for the fire goddess Pele who controls the lava flow and fire...

Yeah, the dumbass is not limited to one geographic area.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun May 13, 2018 11:59 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
gorgeous wrote:people have been leaving flowers and gifts near the lava for the fire goddess Pele who controls the lava flow and fire...

Yeah, the dumbass is not limited to one geographic area.

These guys were quite generous.

Lard, save me from your followers.

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon May 14, 2018 12:11 am

Pele drives?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon May 14, 2018 1:05 am

Hot wheels, too! :-P

Lard, save me from your followers.

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Mon May 14, 2018 9:55 pm

People all around the world live in places where natural disasters are strongly possible.

I live in New Zealand, which Australians sometimes call the Shakey Isles. I lived in an apartment in the town of Rotorua for four years. It exists on top of a geothermal field, and my apartment was heated in winter with hot water taken straight out of the ground.

Our capital city is Wellington, which sits right on top of a seriously active fault line. The Wellington earthquake of 1855 raised masses of land out of the sea, and would have caused high rise buildings to collapse if it happened in a modern and unprepared city. We have laws requiring buildings to be earthquake resistant.

When people make the decision to live in such places, they make a guess as to how likely a disaster will adversely affect them. If they think the odds are good, they go ahead. The people near Kilauea did just that and the toss of the dice went against them. It does not make them stupid.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon May 14, 2018 10:09 pm

They built their homes on piles of volcano poop. Then they were surprised to discover that there was more volcano poop coming up the pipe.

Return to “General Discussion”