"Kauft nicht bei Juden"

Holocaust denial and related subjects.
Aaron Richards
Poster

"Kauft nicht bei Juden"

Postby Aaron Richards » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:09 pm

A simple question, really. Was there ever a general ban instituted by the Third Reich that made it a crime for German citizens to buy from Jewish shops? I am aware of the April 1st boycott in 1933, the photographed "kauft nicht bei juden" (do not buy from jews) signs painted onto jewish shops by the SA. Similarly, the broken shop windows during the Krisstallnacht in 1938.

But in the years leading up to the war, Nuremberg Laws and the step-by-step removal of jews from German society e.g. Jewish doctors made to resign, Jewish university lecturers, teachers etc. is what I have heard about. Was there a commercial boycott against them after 1933?
"...we had the duty towards our Volk (the German people) to kill this Volk (the Jewish people) that wanted to kill us." - Himmler in his 1943 Posen speech reminding any future holocaust denier how absurd their beliefs really are.
I compile rebuttals to popular holocaust denier canards here: http://imgur.com/a/725A7

Balmoral95
Frequent Poster

Re: "Kauft nicht bei Juden"

Postby Balmoral95 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:27 pm

Off the top of my head there was the Decree on the Exclusion of Jews from German Economic Life (1938) which closed all Jewish-owned businesses.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:30 pm

I don't know exactly as you've stated it. Note Article I of the post-Kristallnacht Order eliminating Jews from German economic life
of 12 November 1938
You know, my dear Colonel General, I don't really believe that the Russians will attack at all. It's all an enormous bluff. - Heinrich Himmler to Heinz Guderian, December 1944

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:31 pm

FSS gmta
You know, my dear Colonel General, I don't really believe that the Russians will attack at all. It's all an enormous bluff. - Heinrich Himmler to Heinz Guderian, December 1944

Aaron Richards
Poster

Postby Aaron Richards » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:53 pm

Reason for my thread: If anyone has seen the 3-part miniseries "Generation War" (in German it's titled "Unsere Mütter, Unsere Väter" or our mothers, our fathers), it includes a scene where one of the four main protagonists, a woman, commissions a dress from a Jewish tailor, another of the four protagonists. This film begins after Operation Barbarossa. So I assume it is factually inaccurate that any Jewish businesses were still open in Berlin after 1941. From what I have heard, a few thousand Jews did live in Berlin during WW2, but as so-called "U-Boote" or basically people who had gone into hiding.
"...we had the duty towards our Volk (the German people) to kill this Volk (the Jewish people) that wanted to kill us." - Himmler in his 1943 Posen speech reminding any future holocaust denier how absurd their beliefs really are.
I compile rebuttals to popular holocaust denier canards here: http://imgur.com/a/725A7

Balmoral95
Frequent Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:04 pm

Aaron Richards wrote:Reason for my thread: If anyone has seen the 3-part miniseries "Generation War" (in German it's titled "Unsere Mütter, Unsere Väter" or our mothers, our fathers), it includes a scene where one of the four main protagonists, a woman, commissions a dress from a Jewish tailor, another of the four protagonists. This film begins after Operation Barbarossa. So I assume it is factually inaccurate that any Jewish businesses were still open in Berlin after 1941. From what I have heard, a few thousand Jews did live in Berlin during WW2, but as so-called "U-Boote" or basically people who had gone into hiding.

Major tranports of Jews from Berlin began Oct. 1941 (first transport went to the Lodz Ghetto).

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:11 pm

Aaron Richards wrote:Reason for my thread: If anyone has seen the 3-part miniseries "Generation War" (in German it's titled "Unsere Mütter, Unsere Väter" or our mothers, our fathers), it includes a scene where one of the four main protagonists, a woman, commissions a dress from a Jewish tailor, another of the four protagonists. This film begins after Operation Barbarossa. So I assume it is factually inaccurate that any Jewish businesses were still open in Berlin after 1941. From what I have heard, a few thousand Jews did live in Berlin during WW2, but as so-called "U-Boote" or basically people who had gone into hiding.

As Balmoral notes, the beginning of the deportations from the Reich was October 1941. The final, major deportation of Jews from Berlin and other Reich cities didn't occur until February 1943 in the so-called Fabrik-Aktion; after this, a small number of Jews still lived in Germany, mostly in Berlin, some working in what Beate Meyer has called the "residual Reichsvereinigung" and, as you say, others living underground. A really excellent discussion of this is Beate Meyer, A Fatal Balancing Act: The Dilemma of the Reich Association of Jews in Germany, 1939-1945.

Balmoral95
Frequent Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:42 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:

As Balmoral notes, the beginning of the deportations from the Reich was October 1941. The final, major deportation of Jews from Berlin and other Reich cities didn't occur until February 1943 in the so-called Fabrik-Aktion; after this, a small number of Jews still lived in Germany, mostly in Berlin, some working in what Beate Meyer has called the "residual Reichsvereinigung" and, as you say, others living underground. A really excellent discussion of this is Beate Meyer, A Fatal Balancing Act: The Dilemma of the Reich Association of Jews in Germany, 1939-1945.

Danke.

Was talking to me daughter about this and she thinks she remembers some sort of restrictions on Jewish businesses in Berlin locally dating back to 1933-34.... haven't had time tonight to check...

Balmoral95
Frequent Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:49 am

Balmoral95
Frequent Poster

Postby Balmoral95 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:51 am

Return to “Holocaust Denial”