How to Convince People You are Psychic

Ways and means of promoting skepticism
stansmith12345

How to Convince People You are Psychic

Postby stansmith12345 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:28 pm

n the most recent issue of Skeptic Magazine, James Randi’s column titled “How to Convince People You are Psychic” quotes one subject as saying, after being told that psychics aren’t real, “It doesn’t matter..”, confirms something that I’ve believed for a long time: most people believe that being a skeptic isn’t any fun. (Or, at a minimum, it's not as much fun as being a non-skeptic.)

I’m a confirmed skeptic. One of my hobbies is engaging in Internet debates with creationists. I even find being a skeptic “fun” because I think that it’s “fun” to be right and even more fun to have evidence to support what I believe.
But I firmly believe that many, and possibly most, people believe otherwise. Those other people firmly believe that it is more “fun” not to be a skeptic.

I worked in the Portland, OR, area for a while. One Monday morning a co-worker came in and told us that he was sure that he had seen a Sasquatch in the woods while camping out that weekend. Lots of people stopped over and talked to him about that. If, instead, he had described what he probably actually saw – some shadows in the trees that could have been a dozen different things – no one would have paid much attention.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: How to Convince People You are Psychic

Postby Gord » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:01 am

Being a skeptic is the most fun thing there is to be, all things considered.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:26 am

"One of my hobbies is engaging in Internet debates with creationists." /// A beginner then? Ahem: True Skepticism: challenging your OWN beliefs.

Just another reason I have never claimed the status.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:31 am

I saw that coming.

btw, the OP is just a botched copy of this old topic - spam links most likely to follow...

Lard, save me from your followers.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:29 pm

Thanks. I tried searching for the content and didn't find that. Banned the perp and locking this topic.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Return to “Skeptical Activism”