7 Reasons to Stop Believing in Hell

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...
Wordbird
Poster

Re: 7 Reasons to Stop Believing in Hell

Postby Wordbird » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:45 am

If there is an afterlife, the only fair thing would be to have a Sorting Hat for it.

In other words, you just go among people who are like you. (The sorting hat is just a metaphor, maybe some sort of cosmic likes-attract type deal.)

If that's Hell, then that's justice.

If that's Heaven, then that's justice too.

None of anything anyone suffers in the afterlife would be the result of a judgement. Nothing is handed down from on high. It would all just happen endemically.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:28 am

Wordbird wrote:If there is an afterlife, the only fair thing would be to have a Sorting Hat for it.

In other words, you just go among people who are like you. (The sorting hat is just a metaphor, maybe some sort of cosmic likes-attract type deal.)

None of anything anyone suffers in the afterlife would be the result of a judgement. Nothing is handed down from on high. It would all just happen endemically.

It’s a beautiful thought, but I can also think that “they’re” about to pull the plug on this whole simulation any minute now, as “they” have gathered enough data to know that we aren’t the keepers. And I do love the thought experiment, but it’s not any deeper than what I’ve presented. They both have the same evidence backing them.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Postby ElectricMonk » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:02 am

Hell, without an After-Hell, makes no sense.
Same with Heaven.

Wordbird
Poster

Postby Wordbird » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:34 am

Wordbird wrote:If there is an afterlife, the only fair thing would be to have a Sorting Hat for it.

You know, I've been thinking about this one and congratulating myself on envisioning a version of the afterlife that isn't Hellishly arbitrary and unfair.

But then I realised this version of the afterlife holds no power to manipulate anyone into anything.

It's likely people have conceived it before and it just goes nowhere.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:51 am

ElectricMonk wrote:Hell, without an After-Hell, makes no sense.
Same with Heaven.

What about a pre-Heaven?

Here ya go: https://www.gocomics.com/saturday-morni ... ti=2227990
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:12 am

Limbo: (theology) in Roman Catholicism, the place of unbaptized but innocent or righteous souls (such as infants and virtuous individuals) /// This is why it takes years to get a phd in religious studies. The BS is deep.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Return to “The Letting Go of God Forum”