It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Where no two people are likely to agree.
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:38 pm

Seems much of the fuzz wasn't necessary and many issues turn out to be nonissues, but being loud, brash, obnoxious and outright embarrassing has been Dumpy's strategy forever to have people just give up and/or give in or walk away it seems. But that's no longer the case and his tantrums are under constant observation. Now even minor and unimportant things appear to carry weight. Even Hannity, lol.
Lard, save me from your followers.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:12 pm

"It was still at the stage of clubs and fists, hurrah, tala"

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:17 pm

ambiguity is easy to avoid: just list the code sections that apply. Should have figured this out from the first case they lost on the same issue. Looks like: Einstein was right?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:45 pm

Philip Bump in WaPo notes this, underscoring how toxic was the rhetoric about politicization of the FBI used by Cohen's attorneys yesterday:
A new poll released by NPR, PBS NewsHour and Marist University shows that about 3 in 10 Americans think that the FBI is biased against the Trump administration (the question that most closely approximates Harrison’s point). Sixty-one percent of Americans think that the FBI is just doing its job.

What’s worth noting, though, is that the partisan divide on the question has grown wider since February. . . .

The views of Democrats on the question haven’t changed much; they’re about 70 points more likely to say the FBI is doing its job than to say that the FBI is biased. Republicans, though, went from a six-point gap in favor of bias to a 22-point spread. More than half of Republicans now think that the FBI is actively biased against Trump.
Somewhat related, WaPo also reports that in some states, deep red ones, Republican Senate candidates are running their midterm campaigns on a "call for an end to the special counsel’s investigation of Russian tampering in the 2016 election," using phrases like "witch hunt," "attack on our country," 'a disgrace," and "most biased group of people."

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:53 pm

I heard they also still believe in a greatly reduced deficit. :blink: (Thanks, Monster)

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:04 pm

The truth has always had a liberal bias, and the FBI has always been anti-corruption.

aka: the easily led being led again.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:04 pm

Interview with Nigel Oakes, founder of SCL Group (parent company of Cambridge Analytica), conducted by Emma Briant of the University of Essex:
It didn’t matter with the rest of what he’s [Donald Trump] saying, it didn’t matter if he is alienating all of the liberal women, actually, and I think he was never going to get them anyway.

Nigel Oakes: That’s right

Emma Briant: You’ve got to think about what would resonate with as many as possible.

Nigel Oakes: And often, as you rightly say, it’s the things that resonate, sometimes to attack the other group and know that you are going to lose them is going to reinforce and resonate your group. Which is why, you know, Hitler, got to be very careful about saying so, must never probably say this, off the record, but of course Hitler attacked the Jews, because... He didn’t have a problem with the Jews at all, but the people didn’t like the Jews. So if the people… He could just use them to say… So he just leverage an artificial enemy. Well that’s exactly what Trump did. He leveraged a Muslim- I mean, you know, it’s- It was a real enemy. ISIS is a real, but how big a threat is ISIS really to America? Really, I mean, we are still talking about 9/11, well 9/11 is a long time ago.
Another of Briant's interviewees agreed; Andy Wigmore, communications director for Leave.EU, told Briant:
In its pure marketing sense, you can see the logic of what they were saying, why they were saying it, and how they presented things, and the imagery. And looking at that now, in hindsight, having been on the sharp end of this campaign, you think: crikey, this is not new, and it’s just … using the tools that you have at the time.
Last edited by Statistical Mechanic on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:37 pm

nice review of FBI actions and their impact on the 2016 election, by Adam Serwer of The Atlantic: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... on/558200/

Matt Miller quote: “I think most FBI agents are probably Republicans, and most prosecutors are probably Democrats, but I don't think either of them make decisions based on politics.”

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:44 pm

If the FBI was after me, the first thing that people would assume wouldn't be that I was the victim of unfair bias.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Unlimited_Oracular_Guidance

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:37 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:raised eyebrow
How sweet it is!!! Just shows that you can't ever depend on what a person will do once they don the robes of SCOTUS.
I don't know anything about quantum mechanics, but I know what I like.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:55 pm

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:41 pm

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:36 pm

this one even includes an Alabama 3 song, in the already famous clip of Michael Cohen with his associates last Friday: https://washingtonmonthly.com/2018/04/1 ... ial-visit/ - but I could have used a chart to follow this properly

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:40 pm

Mitch McConnell on the proposed bipartisan bill to protect Mueller: "I'm the one who decides what we take to the floor, that's my responsibility as the majority leader and we will not be having this on the floor of the Senate."

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:42 pm

There was never much doubt as to who did what. The evidence is now all but conclusive. For me, the convincing part came when Michael Savage said "there is no proof the Syrian government was responsible."

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:00 pm

mobbed up (this one is also worth a peek)

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:03 pm

It's official. I mean, it was before. But . . . Chuck Todd is a dunce. Chuck Todd on the Sean Hannity sideshow: "I am stunned that FOX News had no punitive response . . ."

Btw sometime Hannity guests Victoria Toensing (Joe diGenova's legal partner and spouse) and Jay Sekulow have also served as attorneys for Sean Hannity.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:52 am

See, that’s a shame.... :D

Oh, I shouldn’t be smiling, let me try that again... :lol:

Damnit, let me try that again.... :rotfl:

Nope, sorry, can’t do it.
Asked to explain why they hate Jews, anti-Semites contradict themselves. Jews are always showing off; they are hermetic and secretive. They will not assimilate; they assimilate only too well. They are too religious; they are too materialistic, and a threat to religion. They are uncultured; they have too much culture. They avoid manual work; they work too hard. They are miserly; they are ostentatious spenders. They are inveterate capitalists; they are born Communists. And so on.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:53 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Mitch McConnell on the proposed bipartisan bill to protect Mueller: "I'm the one who decides what we take to the floor, that's my responsibility as the majority leader and we will not be having this on the floor of the Senate."
Because he's his usual charming and conscientious self? Or because he either thinks the gig is up already or he's looking to oust him himself once he oversteps that line they keep talking about? (Or because the little wife is telling him not to make any noise? :heh:)

Balmoral95
Veteran Poster

Post by Balmoral95 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:25 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:Mitch McConnell on the proposed bipartisan bill to protect Mueller: "I'm the one who decides what we take to the floor, that's my responsibility as the majority leader and we will not be having this on the floor of the Senate."
Because he's his usual charming and conscientious self? Or because he either thinks the gig is up already or he's looking to oust him himself once he oversteps that line they keep talking about? (Or because the little wife is telling him not to make any noise? :heh:)

Which is fine and true to form... I say let the chips fall where they may.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Pompeo met with Kim Jon Un during Easter

Post by ElectricMonk » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:10 am

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... orea-peace

couple of things:

first: Kudos for keeping this a secret for so long, and for doing it at all.

that's all the praise I got: I can't see anything good coming from a direct meeting with Trump.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:01 am

And no surprise, when you lead people to believe they’ll have an extra $4,000 to $9,000 per year, and it turns out that nearly all of them will get only a little over $300. Well, with an extra dollar a day, I can buy….let me think now….

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:29 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:This VOX piece - detailing why in the view of Stephen Vladeck the air strikes on Syria were illegal - is odd to me in that it doesn't mention the War Powers Act. I asked earlier, and still wonder, what is the legal permission for the strikes. I lean toward understanding the War Powers Act to permit such actions but don't know for sure. It has always seemed to me that with that act, Congress ceded a great deal of authority granted to Congress in the Constitution to the the president. I wish Illing has asked Vladeck about the War Powers Act. I understand that under international law the strikes are illegal.
I decided to double check the text of the War Powers Act: that doesn't seem to authorize the Syrian strikes either: "The constitutional powers of the President as Commander-in-Chief to introduce United States Armed Forces into hostilities, or into situations where imminent involvement in hostilities is clearly indicated by the circumstances, are exercised only pursuant to (1) a declaration of war, (2) specific statutory authorization, or (3) a national emergency created by attack upon the United States, its territories or possessions, or its armed forces." None of these conditions existed in Syria.

The administration's justification is Article II of the Constitution - not the WPA and not the AUMF - which doesn't grant him this authority. Article I Section 8 gives Congress the power to make war and Article II Section 2 simply makes the President commander in chief of the Army and Navy.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:22 pm

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:12 pm

Will he replace Pruitt when he goes to replace Sessions? :-P

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:18 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:This VOX piece - detailing why in the view of Stephen Vladeck the air strikes on Syria were illegal - is odd to me in that it doesn't mention the War Powers Act. I asked earlier, and still wonder, what is the legal permission for the strikes. I lean toward understanding the War Powers Act to permit such actions but don't know for sure. It has always seemed to me that with that act, Congress ceded a great deal of authority granted to Congress in the Constitution to the the president. I wish Illing has asked Vladeck about the War Powers Act. I understand that under international law the strikes are illegal.
I decided to double check the text of the War Powers Act: that doesn't seem to authorize the Syrian strikes either: "The constitutional powers of the President as Commander-in-Chief to introduce United States Armed Forces into hostilities, or into situations where imminent involvement in hostilities is clearly indicated by the circumstances, are exercised only pursuant to (1) a declaration of war, (2) specific statutory authorization, or (3) a national emergency created by attack upon the United States, its territories or possessions, or its armed forces." None of these conditions existed in Syria.

The administration's justification is Article II of the Constitution - not the WPA and not the AUMF - which doesn't grant him this authority. Article I Section 8 gives Congress the power to make war and Article II Section 2 simply makes the President commander in chief of the Army and Navy.
Unfortunately, in the present situation, complicated legal questions are simply not in play. With an administration that believes everybody is really just seeking political power, everything becomes a question of pure politics: What can I get away with? If it will benefit me, I'll do it. The hell with integrity; the hell with the public interest. This provides a universal response to any investigation: The investigators are politically motivated (and couldn't possibly be people conscientiously serving the public interest).

On another topic: I do find it curious that Nikki Haley is squeaking back at Trump and saying she wasn't confused when she announced new sanctions against Russia. No doubt, she's right, but if she expects sympathy, she's going to be disappointed. Anybody who took a Trump appointment had every opportunity to know what a slime ball he is. He breaks his tools.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:39 pm

And blabs about everything. That raised the question, did they tell him when Pompeo went to NK?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:01 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:

Unfortunately, in the present situation, complicated legal questions are simply not in play.
Few in Congress give a hoot. It seems that, on both the national and international levels, the kinds of military action which Obama and Trump have taken have been interpreted, whether implicitly or explicitly, as conforming to the spirit of the "living" legal framework. By accepted fait accompli, one could argue, this is what is now legal. An ironic twist for those who present themselves as constitutionalists, even originalists.
Upton_O_Goode wrote:With an administration that believes everybody is really just seeking political power, everything becomes a question of pure politics: What can I get away with? If it will benefit me, I'll do it. The hell with integrity; the hell with the public interest. This provides a universal response to any investigation: The investigators are politically motivated (and couldn't possibly be people conscientiously serving the public interest).
Nicely said.
Upton_O_Goode wrote:On another topic: I do find it curious that Nikki Haley is squeaking back at Trump and saying she wasn't confused when she announced new sanctions against Russia. No doubt, she's right, but if she expects sympathy, she's going to be disappointed. Anybody who took a Trump appointment had every opportunity to know what a slime ball he is. He breaks his tools.
She did get Kudlow to back down and apologize for his criticism of her: "She was certainly not confused. I was wrong to say that — totally wrong. . . . As it turns out, she was basically following what she thought was policy. The policy was changed and she wasn’t told about it, so she was in a box." Score a tiny moral victory of some sort?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:02 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:And blabs about everything. That raised the question, did they tell him when Pompeo went to NK?
It'd be amusing if Pompeo doesn't get confirmed as Secretary of State.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:11 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:On another topic: I do find it curious that Nikki Haley is squeaking back at Trump and saying she wasn't confused when she announced new sanctions against Russia. No doubt, she's right, but if she expects sympathy, she's going to be disappointed. Anybody who took a Trump appointment had every opportunity to know what a slime ball he is. He breaks his tools.
She did get Kudlow to back down and apologize for his criticism of her: "She was certainly not confused. I was wrong to say that — totally wrong. . . . As it turns out, she was basically following what she thought was policy. The policy was changed and she wasn’t told about it, so she was in a box." Score a tiny moral victory of some sort?
Almost right. Why the begrudging? I don't like Nikki Haley much, but I give her kudos on this. She ROARED back and established herself as truthful and her own person. She did not expect sympathy....she drew a firm line in the sand and stomped on the weak dicks that tried to cross it.

She did not "think" it was policy: IT WAS POLICY....it was Trump that changed his mind AFTER Haley spoke. Speaking of weak dicks: Kudlows credibility was shown to be secondary to kissing Trumps ass if any was needed. He only partially redeemed himself by being as honest as we was with his withdrawal of his made up BS.

We could hope if history were not our guide that Haley's demonstrated CHARACTER would be a stretch goal for all politicians........but a hope only telegraphs the probable outcome......

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:45 pm

???? - paranoia striking deep?
Pittsburgh police have been instructed to bring their riot gear to work over fears that a large protest could break out if President Trump fires special counsel Robert Mueller.

WTAE’s Marcie Cirpriani obtained emails sent to detectives in Pittsburgh warning them of a “potential large scale protest” in the city.

“There is a belief that President Trump will soon move to fire Special Prosecutor Mueller. This would result in a large protest within 24 hours of the firing,” the email read.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:46 pm

A whopping part of Michael Cohen's legal bills are being paid by the Trump campaign - I think that this means that, all things being equal, Cohen won't be flipping, no matter how often Michel Avenatti says that he will.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:35 pm

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:04 pm

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:05 pm

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:13 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:blink
...Mr. Stris said he expected federal investigators to eventually secure everything they need to fully vet the process behind the deal. “I have tremendous confidence in the men and woman of the Southern District of New York,” he said, referring to the federal prosecutors investigating Mr. Cohen...

Separate from the federal investigation into Mr. Cohen, A.M.I. is facing a complaint at the Federal Election Commission that its $150,000 payment to Ms. McDougal was an illegal campaign expenditure. The publisher has denied this, saying it was acting solely as a news organization with a First Amendment right to run stories — or not run them — as it chooses.
"Donald Trump is a friend of mine. I wanted to help him, so what I did was make a deal with Karen McDougal so that her story would never see the light of day."

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:46 pm

Believe me, there is no Trump-Russia connection

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:28 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:A whopping part of Michael Cohen's legal bills are being paid by the Trump campaign - I think that this means that, all things being equal, Cohen won't be flipping, no matter how often Michel Avenatti says that he will.
Yeah but: its because of Trump that those bills are created. THAT....and there is a big difference in honoring the person who is paying the bills for what that person caused, and going to PRISON for the same things.

Maybe.....if Trump would support the appeals, offer pardons, and/or pay Cohen's family's cost of support....for whatever State charges could be coming next? Then, all Cohen has to do is trust Trump to follow thru....... and who knows more about Trump doing that or not than Cohen?

.............rats leave a sinking ship.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:40 am

Avenatti is considering filing a defamation suit against Trump for his tweet this morning stating that Stormy Daniels was engaged in a "con job." Avenatti told Wolf Blitzer, "There's no question he defamed my client. He's calling my client a liar and basically stating that she made this up and it's a con."

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:17 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:A whopping part of Michael Cohen's legal bills are being paid by the Trump campaign - I think that this means that, all things being equal, Cohen won't be flipping, no matter how often Michel Avenatti says that he will.
This is bizarre:
Jay Goldberg, a longtime Trump lawyer, told the Wall Street Journal that he spoke with Trump on Friday about Cohen and warned the president against trusting Cohen if he is facing criminal charges. Goldberg said he warned the president that Cohen “isn’t even a 1” on a scale of 1 to 100, where 100 was remaining fully loyal to the president, the newspaper reported.
A number of commentators agree that Cohen is facing a long prison sentence - and state charges; thus, all things not being equal, these commentators like Goldberg doubt Cohen's loyalty to the president. But why is "a longtime Trump lawyer" telling the WSJ what advice he gave to Trump?