All dinosaurs are fakes.

Io
Poster

Re: All dinosaurs are fakes.

Postby Io » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:21 pm

Interesting question. I wonder if they made it past 18. Imagine them never being old enough to see Alien in the cinema.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:45 pm

Io wrote:That's exactly what they are. Although with their silly little air-quote hands they're more "anti-social construct". Rawr! Image
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:40 am

I reckon the big ones might've lived hundreds of years.

We know they're just weird birds, so probably similar metabolism, and there are parrots that can live 100 years. And generally, as you upscale the size of the organism, they live longer.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:47 am

Birds yes, but not parrots:

Search Results
Image result for How old did T-Rex get
If you think of something like an eagle or raven, they live for 20-30 years, and that would probably have been the lifespan of a T. rex." The largest and best-preserved T. rex, in the Field Museum of Chicago, is thought to have lived to almost 29 years, although it would have achieved adult size after 20 years.Feb 7, 2009
Dinosaurs: How long did they live? | Science | The Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/science/200 ... r-lifespan
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:08 am

Eh? Parrots are birds, or did I miss the memo? Parrots can live 100 years (in ideal conditions)...
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:27 am

Yes....that is why it is important to identify which species of birds is relevant. Hmmm....just occurred to me, I agreed with your statement that size tends to relate to long lives......parrots, go counter to that. Anyway.....if parrots go long lived, and T-Rex goes to about 30yo max, I assume T-Rex gave us chickens, eagles, and such and not parrots. But maybe not....thats what branches in a tree do. I can see there being a "general rule" for this....but that only admits the exceptions.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:49 am

All birds are descendants of raptors, two-legged dinosaurs. And I did say parrots.

Even a budgie, or budgerigar (which means "good tucker" in aboriginal. They ate them like KFC chicken nuggets because there's billions of the little {!#%@}. You just need to chuck a stick in the flock and you'll knock down a dozen. Then you just roast them on some coals for a few minutes to sear the feathers off and eat them whole. Crunchy. Spit out the beaks), (foreigners call them "parakeets"), even they can live 30 years in ideal conditions.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:08 am

Thanks mm. Yes....I thought that might be the case. But thats not the core issue. How long did T_Rex live? The best answer is evidently about 30 years max. Doesn't matter what other birds do or the general size correlation? Hah!==the larger parrots live longer than the smaller ones?

I think thats right.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:29 am

That's the graph I'm going off. Generally, the bigger you are, the longer you live (in ideal conditions).

Remember I keep saying "Ideal conditions". Fighting for mates, for food, against predators, and disease, aren't ideal conditions.

Average Human lifespan in the wild is about 30 years. But many can live longer than that. The average is mostly due to half of them dying before reproductive age.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:36 am

Hmmmm....are you saying we evolved from Raptors...........or am I being a parrot?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:45 am

Major Malfunction wrote:Even a budgie, or budgerigar (which means "good tucker" in aboriginal. They ate them like KFC chicken nuggets because there's billions of the little {!#%@}. You just need to chuck a stick in the flock and you'll knock down a dozen........ .
Now stop that Major Malfunction.

The Australian Tourist Board has specifically asked Australians to stop tricking foreigners into going into the bush to throw sticks at budgies. QANTAS has to refund the return tickets to their families and it is hurting the Australian economy.
T-Budgie 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:22 am

That's {!#%@} terrifying. Budgies bite hard.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:26 am

Budgies bite hard /// ha, ha. That is true. Which is why getting a cock or two really scared me. I stopped at Love Birds. Finches are safe.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:42 am

I've had a dozen budgies. One I managed to train to talk, and he flew away. All the others got eaten by my cats and dogs.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:29 am

My sisters had budgies....Like I said...scared me. I had a lot of finches though (30 years later). Loved watching them hatch eggs and raise the kiddies: 10% survival rate. Made a huge custom cage lining one wall of my family room 18 in wide, 8 ft tall, 10 feet long. Put my pet rats in the bottom of it. They got along. Babies just died....not eaten.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:42 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:....if parrots go long lived, and T-Rex goes to about 30yo max, I assume T-Rex gave us chickens, eagles, and such and not parrots.

Nah - chickens are 8 to 10 years, 15 years absolute max., and then in ideal conditions. Chickens came from the Ark, as everyone knows.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:46 am

google chickens. FASCINATING: WHY they lay one egg a day. Its Darwin in action, harnessed and utilized by Man.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:47 am

And, of course, we don't have the exact same genetics in both birds, so differences in life-spans are unsurprising.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:28 pm

For the same reason, longevity comparisons with large dinos is problematic. Sauropods and early theropods are now thought to have been metathermic (some endothermic processes and some exo), as the evidence for endothermy or exothermy are ambiguous or tenuous. Their metabolisms were quite different from later theropods.

Sauropods are currently thought to have lived about 40 years, which is in the ball park of the early theropods.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:49 pm

So, they grow two feet a year for forty years?

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Postby ElectricMonk » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:15 am

#NOTALLDINOSAURS
"'I don't know what I was doing wrong, but I promise I won't do it again."
- Daddy Pig

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:01 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:So, they grow two feet a year for forty years?
Wouldn't that be an Octogintapede?
Octopede.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:48 pm

If you calculated a useless average, I suppose.

They grew at a horrendous rate in youth, slower later on. There is some evidence that they kept growing throughout their lives, like some reptiles.

Sauropods were r-reproducers, lots of babies left to fend for themselves. Most of the babies wound up as carnosaur {!#%@}. Even as kids they weren't very fast. Hiding when small, and growing big really fast were their only defences. They didn't join the adult herds until they were big enough to not get trampled.

Computer analysis of those humungous tail muscles show that adults had a formidable weapon when swinging their tails. One T-rex fossil has a pre-mortem thigh break thought to be caused by getting too close to an adult sauropod.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby landrew » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:33 am

Many years ago, I spent a summer excavating dinosaur fossils. For a time, I thought I could bring it up in polite conversation without opposition. Apparently, there are a number of people who are quite offended by the notion that the earth may be older than 6000 years. Once I was told that the devil had the power to plant fossils in the ground "to fool us." Made me wonder why he needed to do that, when he had obviously already messed around with radiometric dating which shows the earth to be 4.54 billion years old.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby landrew » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:39 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Wouldn't that be an Octogintapede? Octopede.jpg

Giant insects can no longer exist on the earth. They need a more oxygen-rich atmosphere than currently exists, because they have a very different respiratory system to our own. They have small trachea leading from spiracles on their bellies, branching out to all the cells in their bodies, instead of lungs which impart oxygen into the blood.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Wordbird
Poster

Postby Wordbird » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:49 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:This thread is for the birds.

Wwwark? AWK! Peep. Peep-peep.

Seriously though, I am a dinosaur. I have a little popping bird sparrow body and a big T-rex head.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:11 am

So how do you get around? By snapping your jaws, going nom nom nom nom?

And what what happens if you actually catch something? How does your sparrow body digest it?

Please don't feel offended. I'm asking from a position of pure scientific inquiry.

Wordbird
Poster

Postby Wordbird » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:23 am

Major Malfunction wrote:So how do you get around? By snapping your jaws, going nom nom nom nom?

Actually I have this ingenious method of locomotion I call Triple-S: Strategically Scaring Squirrels. You see, when scared, squirrels run in the wrong direction; toward, instead of away from, the thing scaring them. I use Triple-S to get around by scaring the squirrel, latching on, and when the squirrel inevitably climbs a tree, I unlatch my jaws and start flapping my tiny wings. They don't fully support my weight but I have a lot of flutter before I hit the ground with which to maneouvre as I see fit.

Major Malfunction wrote:And what what happens if you actually catch something? How does your sparrow body digest it?

I trade the meat for seeds. With my frightening visage, no one dares give me a bad deal, and I can get enough seeds to live for a week from just one good snap of my jaws, assuming I trade equal caloric value of meat for the same value of seeds.

Major Malfunction wrote:Please don't feel offended. I'm asking from a position of pure scientific inquiry.

Why should I? I am objectively the best animal.

The hippopotamus, by contrast, is objectively the worst animal.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:19 am

It is a Well Known Fact that hippopotami (see - classical education!) do not fart underwater.

landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby landrew » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:45 pm

Poodle wrote:It is a Well Known Fact that hippopotami (see - classical education!) do not fart underwater.

Who was the poor graduate student who discovered that?

landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby landrew » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:50 pm

The Tyrannosaurus was very insecure about his small hands, so he refuted it publicly to a large crowd.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlvskRTzVnE

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:16 am

landrew wrote:
Poodle wrote:It is a Well Known Fact that hippopotami (see - classical education!) do not fart underwater.

Who was the poor graduate student who discovered that?

White House life guard?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Wordbird
Poster

Postby Wordbird » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:02 pm

Trump's hands look normal-sized to me.

Are we really doing hand envy now??

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:49 pm

Wordbird wrote:Trump's hands look normal-sized to me.

Are we really doing hand envy now??

There is a strong correlation between hand and dick size. It's just not normally discussed in polite company.

But you better bet that chicks are looking at the size of your hands.

Just last week I was on a date and she wanted to compare hands.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:50 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:

Have you won one of those yet?

Wordbird
Poster

Postby Wordbird » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:58 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:There is a strong correlation between hand and dick size.

There is also, within the same race, a strong inverse relationship between... that... and body size. Littler guys tend to have bigger.

You don't see women chasing midgets, though.

By the same logic, I would think that at some point, gross huge hands would be a turn-off no matter what they came with. I don't think they want the guy to be able to palm their head and lift them by it like a basketball.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:22 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Major Malfunction wrote:

Have you won one of those yet?

I'm pretty good at thumb wrestling.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:24 pm

Wordbird wrote:By the same logic, I would think that at some point, gross huge hands would be a turn-off no matter what they came with. I don't think they want the guy to be able to palm their head and lift them by it like a basketball.

You can never tell some chicks kinks.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:17 pm

Wordbird wrote:
Major Malfunction wrote:There is a strong correlation between hand and dick size.

There is also, within the same race, a strong inverse relationship between... that... and body size. Littler guys tend to have bigger.

By the same logic, I would think that at some point, gross huge hands would be a turn-off no matter what they came with. I don't think they want the guy to be able to palm their head and lift them by it like a basketball.

I suspect it`s not their heads they`d be `apalming - `lessen you intended that as a euphemism.... :roll:

landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby landrew » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:49 pm

Wordbird wrote:

Had to do it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFvwHRtihlE

Return to “Monster Science”