the bible and archeology

PSI, Mediums, Ghosts, UFOs, Things That Go Bump In The Night
angawawa
Regular Poster
Custom Title: A little strange

Re: the bible and archeology

Postby angawawa » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:28 pm

I find it hard to believe that nothing in the bible is true. At that period in history, who would have had time to sit around and just make all that stuff up. I don't mean things like the creation, and Adam and Eve in the garden, I'm talking about all those lists of who begat who, and the incredibly detailed stories of Job and Moses. It just seems that some of it has to be based on facts. While I don't believe that there was a worldwide flood, and some guy and his little family were the only survivors and they repopulated the earth, there have been several "real" archeological investigations into floods around the world, such as the Black Sea flood which occurred about 7,000 years ago (http://www.nationalgeographic.com/blacksea) and the North American flood of 8,400 years ago (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 124230.htm). It seems likely that these enormous events would have left an impression on the people of the time, and would be something they would want their descendants to know about. The Navajo have a legend (http://www.firstpeople.us/FP-Html-Legen ... avajo.html) about their people coming out of the Third World, which had flooded, through a reed into the Fourth World. While I am pretty sure they didn't come up through a reed, I am confident that their story is based upon the real flood. Native Americans have been in North America for 12,000 to 20,000 years (or so scientists think as of now).

Before the written word, history was remembered and repeated in an oral tradition. While we all know of that whispering game children play called "Telephone," where a phrase is whispered from one person to the next until it comes out at the end sounding nothing like the original, I think it's pretty obvious that the oral tradition was very important to ancient peoples and there were members of the community who prided themselves in being able to remember stories and events word-for-word.

I have also heard a theory that the story of Noah's Ark may have actually been started by people who saw the vaguely boat-shaped thing on Mt. Sinai and made up a story about it, relating it to stories of a flood that had been passed down. And I'm sure you guys have heard the theory that some of the mythological creatures from Greece and Rome were probably based on dinosaur bones that were found and assumed to be giants or whatever.

I guess my point is that while we shouldn't believe these stories as gospel (ha), it might give us some clues as what really happened in a history we really know so little about, if we look at these things in a different way.
If you keep your mind sufficiently open, people will throw all manner of garbage into it.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:43 pm

I've read Alice In Wonderland. It must be true, because where would Charles L. Dodgson have found the time to make all that stuff up?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

angawawa
Regular Poster

Postby angawawa » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:41 pm

What I meant is that, (and perhaps I just don't know enough what people were doing at that time) but weren't most human spending an awful lot of time just raising goats and trying to not get eaten by lions? And are you saying that it IS likely that none of it is based on fact?
If you keep your mind sufficiently open, people will throw all manner of garbage into it.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:21 pm

angawawa wrote:What I meant is that, (and perhaps I just don't know enough what people were doing at that time) but weren't most human spending an awful lot of time just raising goats and trying to not get eaten by lions? And are you saying that it IS likely that none of it is based on fact?

I'm illustrating your logical fallacy.

There is no archaeological evidence for Moses, although there should be if the story is based on fact. Many biblical stories have antecedents in Babylonian mythologies, and were brought to Israel by travellers.

Goat herding is not the most intellectually demanding of occupations. Other than the occasional bit of tupping, making stuff up is probably a common way of relieving boredom.

I will go with what the archaeology says, which is, mostly, that 'bible' should be spelled 'bsible'.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Bunyip
Regular Poster

Postby Bunyip » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:11 am

I find it hard to believe that nothing in the bible is true. At that period in history, who would have had time to sit around and just make all that stuff up

Argument from incredulity. Plus,I don't think anyone has said NOTHING is true. ALL sacred books are 'made up'*. It's unlikely somebody just sat down and wrote it all at once. Religious books are essentially mythology,which means they may contain elements of truth and historicity. However,they are not history or science books and not reliable sources of fact..

The Torah was not written down until the seventh century BCE.Much of was lifted from other cultures;beginning with their nasty little god. (Sumerian)

The Christian canon, called "The New Testament" was compiled from hundreds of documents during the first Nicene council,in the fourth century CE.

Vast quantities of writings were omitted from both the Jewish and Christian canons. They are called 'apocrypha'.

*The Australian aboriginal 'dreamtime' is a vast collection of stories,songs and even law, compiled over 50,000 years or so, but none of it is written down.

Argument from incredulity/Lack of imagination
Arguments from incredulity take the form:
P is too incredible (or: I cannot imagine how P could possibly be true); therefore P must be false.
It is obvious that P is true (or: I cannot imagine how P could possibly be false); therefore P must be true.
These arguments are similar to arguments from ignorance in that they too ignore and do not properly eliminate the possibility that something can be both incredible and still be true, or appear to be obvious and yet still be false.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_f ... magination

"Apocryphal" redirects here. For the adjective, see wiktionary:apocryphal.
The term apocrypha is used with various meanings, including "hidden", "esoteric", "spurious", "of questionable authenticity", ancient Chinese "revealed texts and objects" and "Christian texts that are not canonical".
The word is originally Greek (ἀπόκρυφα) and means "those hidden away". Specifically, ἀπόκρυφα is the neuter plural of ἀπόκρυφος, an adjective related to the verb ἀποκρύπτω [infinitive: ἀποκρύπτειν] (apocriptein), "to hide something away."[1]
The general term is usually applied to the books in the Roman Catholic Bible, and the Eastern Orthodox Bible, but not the Protestant Bible on their claim that it is not God's word. As such, it is misleading in this sense to refer to the Gospel according to the Hebrews or Gnostic writings as apocryphal, because they would not be classified in the same category by orthodox believers: they would be classified as a heretical subset of antilegomenae, to distinguish them from now-canonical ancient antilegomenae such as 2 Peter, 3 John and the Revelation of John, and non-canonical but non-heretical books which were quoted by the Early Fathers such as the pseudepigraphic Epistle of Barnabas, the Didache, or The Shepherd of Hermas. The gnostic writings are generally not accorded any status, not even a negative one: they are ignored, as they are incompatible with the accepted canon prima facie. Non-canonical books are texts of uncertain authenticity, or writings where the work is seriously questioned. Given that different denominations have different beliefs about what constitutes canonical scripture, there are several versions of the apocrypha.
During 16th-century controversies about the biblical canon, the word acquired a negative connotation, and has become a synonym for "spurious" or "false". This usage usually involves fictitious or legendary accounts that are plausible enough to be commonly considered true. For example, Laozi's alleged authorship of the Tao Te Ching and the Parson Weems account of George Washington and the cherry tree are considered apocryphal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocrypha

TANGENT ON THE DREAMTIME

The Dreaming of the Aboriginal times

"Dreaming" is also often used to refer to an individual's or group's set of beliefs or spirituality. For instance, an indigenous Australian might say that he or she has Kangaroo Dreaming, or Shark Dreaming, or Honey Ant Dreaming, or any combination of Dreamings pertinent to their "country". Many Indigenous Australians also refer to the Creation time as "The Dreaming". The Dreamtime laid down the patterns of life for the Aboriginal people.[citation needed]
Dreaming stories vary throughout Australia, with variations on the same theme. For example, the story of how the birds got their colours is different in New South Wales and in Western Australia.[citation needed] Stories cover many themes and topics, as there are stories about creation of sacred places, land, people, animals and plants, law and custom. It is a complex network of knowledge, faith, and practices that derive from stories of creation. It pervades and informs all spiritual and physical aspects of an indigenous Australian's life.
They believe that every person essentially exists eternally in the Dreaming. This eternal part existed before the life of the individual begins, and continues to exist when the life of the individual ends. Both before and after life, it is believed that this spirit-child exists in the Dreaming and is only initiated into life by being born through a mother. The spirit of the child is culturally understood to enter the developing fetus during the fifth month of pregnancy.[1] When the mother felt the child move in the womb for the first time, it was thought that this was the work of the spirit of the land in which the mother then stood. Upon birth, the child is considered to be a special custodian of that part of his country and is taught the stories and songlines of that place. As Wolf (1994: p. 14) states: "A black 'fella' may regard his totem or the place from which his spirit came as his Dreaming. He may also regard tribal law as his Dreaming."[2]
It was believed that, before humans, animals, and plants came into being, their 'souls' existed; they knew they would become physical, but not when. And when that time came, all but one of the 'souls' became plants or animals, with the last one becoming human and acting as a custodian or guardian to the natural world around them.
Traditional Australian indigenous peoples embrace all phenomena and life as part of a vast and complex system-reticulum of relationships which can be traced directly back to the ancestral Totemic Spirit Beings of The Dreaming. This structure of relations, including food taboos, had the result of maintaining the biological diversity of the indigenous environment. It may have helped prevent overhunting of particular species.[citation needed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_time
Man is not so much a rational animal as a rationalising one.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:59 am

angawawa wrote:What I meant is that, (and perhaps I just don't know enough what people were doing at that time) but weren't most human spending an awful lot of time just raising goats and trying to not get eaten by lions? And are you saying that it IS likely that none of it is based on fact?

That wasn't a 24/7 job. After dark, around the campfire, much BS was told. That BS became the Torah.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:44 am

Don't forget that some of the biblical authors also stayed with the herd after dark, if you know what I mean. I mean the bible was written by {!#%@}.
trump is Putin's bitch

Bunyip
Regular Poster

Postby Bunyip » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:23 am

I mean the bible was written by {!#%@}.

Whatever do you mean? Are you suggesting those people were wont to have sexual congress with their livestock?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Here in Australia we have 'the ferals'. They are a lot like hippies. .A bit cleaner and rather mildewed as it rains a lot in the forest of Northern Queensland. They also mate with the native animals. Some of their offspring have been declared new species. :roll:

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:12 am

Bunyip wrote:I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Here in Australia we have 'the ferals'.
Also known as "Stench Crusties"

angawawa
Regular Poster

Postby angawawa » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:42 pm

My logical thinking is rusty. WooHoo! This is so much fun. Thanks, bunyip, for the info about the aboriginals. I love learning about the myths and stories of other cultures. I do think that the bible is just as much myth as the stories of the Greek gods. The idea that their stories were based on facts, like the story of the cyclops perhaps being based on the finding of mammoth skulls (which look like a one-eyed creature) is just really cool. Another cool and interesting thing is that there are so many cultures with flood myths. That does not mean there was a worldwide flood. But what does it mean?

In a conversation with my little bro the other day (he is one of the smartest people I know, and a vehement atheist, nay, even violent!) we considered how there is so much going on every day in the world of science, and we learn amazing new things all time, particularly in physics, that it's hard to understand why people cling to their nonsensical ideas about creation. The truth is so much more exciting! We still don't know where we came from, but to me it's like watching sports. I hate it when someone wants to change the channel because their team isn't winning. Anything could happen at any moment!

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:23 pm

If you notice, flood stories tend to be very common with cultures near large rivers. If the river is the source of your culture's prosperity and it floods, it seems to me it would be easy for it to become a "big fish" story and grow with each retelling until the story became that the whole world flooded.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:24 pm

angawawa wote:
In a conversation with my little bro the other day (he is one of the smartest people I know, and a vehement atheist, nay, even violent!)

Your little bro needs his dumb ass incarcerated.
trump is Putin's bitch

angawawa
Regular Poster

Postby angawawa » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:24 pm

Your little bro needs his dumb ass incarcerated.

?????????

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:23 pm

I was much amused when I heard Don Baker say "Bronze-Age goatherders" the other day. I started using that at RDF back in '08. It lead to this:

The Bronze Age Goat-herders' Anthology of Campfire Tales for Boys: God's Little Instruction Manual for Handling Slaves, Sex Slaves, Kitchen Help, Naughty Offspring, Babysitters and the Soon-to-be-extinct Tribes Next Door. Now with The Egomanical Hippie and His All-Boy Posse Hang Out in Palestine.

wakawakawaka
Poster

Postby wakawakawaka » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:11 pm

http://www.ankerberg.com/Articles/_PDFA ... 2W0604.pdf what about all these claims made by john ankerberg just how subatanated are they

Atlantean

Postby Atlantean » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:42 am

Anyone advocating for the historicity of the Genesis stories of the Bible should read the much earlier Sumerian mythologies, where the stories of Adam & Eve (Enki & Ninhursag with Ninti - "the lady of the rib" & "she who makes live" [ref. Hebrew "hawwa"]), The Garden of Eden (Dilmun), and the prologue to the Epic of Gilgamesh, Enkidu and the Underworld (fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good & Evil, the serpent and Lillith). For the New Testament read the Sumerian story of Dumuzi (shepherd-king that dies and is resurrected [ref. Jesus]).

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:50 pm

Atlantean wrote:Anyone advocating for the historicity of the Genesis stories of the Bible should read the much earlier Sumerian mythologies... For the New Testament read the Sumerian story of Dumuzi...

Surprisingly, the writer of Ecclesiastes seems to have understood this.
Ecclesiastes 1:9 (NIV)
What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.

[/tongue-in-cheek]
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:45 pm

Someday they will excavate the ruins of New York City, and the existence of Spiderman will be proven.

Bunyip
Regular Poster

Postby Bunyip » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:11 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Someday they will excavate the ruins of New York City, and the existence of Spiderman will be proven.

Has already. I've seen the documentaries. Do keep,there's a good chap. :lol:

Tangent: Whilst at university I ran across a guy who was doing his masters thesis in anthropology on "The Documentary As Myth Making"

Harte
Poster

Postby Harte » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:16 am

Atlantean wrote:Anyone advocating for the historicity of the Genesis stories of the Bible should read the much earlier Sumerian mythologies, where the stories of Adam & Eve (Enki & Ninhursag with Ninti - "the lady of the rib" & "she who makes live" [ref. Hebrew "hawwa"]), The Garden of Eden (Dilmun), and the prologue to the Epic of Gilgamesh, Enkidu and the Underworld (fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good & Evil, the serpent and Lillith). For the New Testament read the Sumerian story of Dumuzi (shepherd-king that dies and is resurrected [ref. Jesus]).

That's quite an imagination you have there.

While it's true that a lot of Hebrew mythology stems from the Babylonian, you're really stretching with your characterizations here.

For example, Dumuzi "dies" and "is ressurected" annually, in the manner of Persephone. He's cursed to the underworld for six months, during which time the land is barren. When he returns, his wife Inanna (who cursed him in the first place, in one version of the myth) decrees that it's time for the plants to sprout, etc.

The difference is that the barren time in Sumer was the summer, while in Greece, Persephone went to Hades in the winter.

Dumuzi was a mortal shepherd who somehow married a goddess. That made him immortal.

Ref. that to Jesus.

Harte
The skeptic, being a lover of his kind, desires to cure by speech, as best he can, the self-conceit and rashness of the dogmatists.
Sextus Empiricus, Outlines of PyrrhonismHello!

Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so.
Bertrand Russell

moth1ne
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: theyscanhearsmythots

Postby moth1ne » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:02 am

Bunyip wrote:The New Testament was written in Greek,and the name Jesus/Yeshua/Yoshua does not appear in the Old Testament as the name of the Messiah ( Jesus as the Messiah is a Christian invention.)

Along with Jesus being white...
The discrepancies between the gospels alone should be enough for anyone to question it's historical accuracy. It can't even get it's own stories straight...
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -Carl Sagan, The Demon Haunted World

angawawa
Regular Poster

Postby angawawa » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:08 pm

Has anyone here seen "Zeitgeist?"

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:59 am

angawawa wrote:Has anyone here seen "Zeitgeist?"

Yeah. Embarrassing bit of nonsense, that.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:40 pm

Bunyip wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Someday they will excavate the ruins of New York City, and the existence of Spiderman will be proven.

Has already. I've seen the documentaries. Do keep,there's a good chap. :lol:

Tangent: Whilst at university I ran across a guy who was doing his masters thesis in anthropology on "The Documentary As Myth Making"

That's contemporary mythology, rather like when JC was hangin' with his bros. I'm talking about Spiderman being reduced to the status of a mere god, nothing but hearsay and lies to support his existence, UNTIL they find NYC in the middle of Earths' biggest midden.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Thu May 17, 2018 9:33 pm

Bunyip wrote:
Did God Have a Wife?: Archaeology and Folk Religion in Ancient Israel, (Eerdmans, ISBN 0-8028-2852-3, 2005),[1] is a book by Syro-Palestinian archaeologist William G. Dever, Professor Emeritus of Near Eastern Archeology and Anthropology at the University of Arizona. “Did God Have a Wife?” was intended as a popular work making available to the general public the evidence long known to archaeologists regarding ancient Israelite religion: namely that the Israelite god of antiquity (before 600 BC), Yahweh, had a consort, that her name was Asherah, and that she was part of the Canaanite pantheon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Did_God_Have_a_Wife%3F" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A N Wilson's "Paul; The Mind Of An Apostle" is also worth a read. A lot Christians got their panties in bunch about it when fisrt published in 2001..

I'm just gonna stick this video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnLSbIivz0M
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu May 17, 2018 9:48 pm

Naw, she had a husband. :-P

Lard, save me from your followers.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri May 18, 2018 10:00 am

This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Fri May 18, 2018 11:58 pm

Wow!!! Resurrection is a fact, then. At least for forum threads. :twisted:

Return to “UFOs, Cryptozoology, and The Paranormal”