Why Didn't Jewish Eyewitnesses Believe in Jesus?

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...
SEG
Poster
Custom Title: The Deacon of Doubt

Why Didn't Jewish Eyewitnesses Believe in Jesus?

Postby SEG » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:07 am

Jesus was supposed to be "King of the Jews". What went wrong? If the Jewish people believed in Yahweh, believed in the scriptures and in miracles, why didn’t they believe God raised Jesus from the dead? Plus they have never believed in The Trinity! They should have been eyewitnesses to the "fact" of his resurrection, yet they call him out as a false messiah and a heretic.

Oneness and indivisibility of God

See also: God in Judaism, Shema Yisrael, and Shituf
In Judaism, the idea of God as a duality or trinity is heretical — it is even considered by some polytheistic.[7] According to Judaic beliefs, the Torah rules out a trinitarian God in Deuteronomy (6:4): "Hear Israel, the Lord is our God, the Lord is one."

Judaism teaches that it is heretical for any man to claim to be God, part of God, or the literal son of God. The Jerusalem Talmud (Ta'anit 2:1) states explicitly: "if a man claims to be God, he is a liar."

What do Christians say about this? The Trinity is a central faith of Christians, yet Jesus never explained it in the the NT. In fact, it's never mentioned there at all. The concept was made up centuries later. This is a clear indication that their religion is politically motivated and man made.
“There are no known non-biblical references to a historical Jesus by any historian or other writer of the time during and shortly after Jesus's purported advent.” His so-called life was a farce.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Why Didn't Jewish Eyewitnesses Believe in Jesus?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:14 am

SEG wrote:.......The concept was made up centuries later. This is a clear indication that their religion is politically motivated and man made.

Doesn't this answer/explain all your issues?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

SEG
Poster
Custom Title: The Deacon of Doubt

Re: Why Didn't Jewish Eyewitnesses Believe in Jesus?

Postby SEG » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:30 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
SEG wrote:.......The concept was made up centuries later. This is a clear indication that their religion is politically motivated and man made.

Doesn't this answer/explain all your issues?

What issues? There's none for me, I was waiting for an answer from the Christians. Here's an answer from one of them from another forum where I posed the same question:
When you say Jews have never believed in the Trinity are you talking about the race or the religion? If you are talking about the race then lots of people of Jewish ancestry have come to believe in the trinity and you are simply wrong. If you are talking about the religion then you need to understand that the religion that was developed after Christianity on the basis pharisaic Judaism has made the rejection of Christian teaching a central part of its tenets, so it would be bizarre if you did find it to be the same as Christianity in the respects where it has stressed its difference.

I think a comparison can be made between the concept of trinity and the Jewish concept of the Messiah. The word messiah is used in the Jewish Scriptures but it is not used in a technical sense to refer to a particular person. The Encyclopedia Judaica describes it as a post scriptural doctrine. Yet most Jews do believe in the Messiah based on the teachings of the scriptures. Therefore they should have no problem with the idea that scriptures can provide the basic material for a doctrine not explicitly taught there. I would say the reason this kind of thing happens is that new idea tend not to appear fully formed but to emerge on the edge of awareness only later to be formalised.

I've answered him already, but how would you answer that Bobbo? Or isn't this your cup of tea? I thought I might get some fresh ideas here.
“There are no known non-biblical references to a historical Jesus by any historian or other writer of the time during and shortly after Jesus's purported advent.” His so-called life was a farce.

Return to “The Letting Go of God Forum”