Self programming

What you think about how you think.
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Self programming

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri May 25, 2018 9:57 pm

There is probably a better technical term for this. But whatever...

I saved my own life through self programming in driving a car. I was introduced to the technique by a friend who had been forced by the police to undergo a defensive driving training course. Self programming was one of the techniques taught.

This involves imagining a horrible situation arising and working out the best response to that situation. Then repeating the mental exercise enough times to make it automatic.

The situation where I almost died was that of a driver passing another car on a blind corner and smashing into the oncoming car. In this case, I was driving the oncoming car. As I approached the corner, I saw two cars coming at me, one passing the other, with no time for me, or the reckless overtaker to slow down or stop. Luckily I had mentally rehearsed that scenario. As a result I drove my car IMMEDIATELY into the gravel at the side of the road, and half off the road into the wild plant growth off the road. Because of that rapid action, I did not collide fatally with the oncoming car. It may appear to you to be simply common sense, but fractions of a second count, and if you have to think out your response, you are dead!

I claim no credit or special driving skill. My life was saved by the fact that I had programmed myself to respond correctly to that situation.

One of the things about driving is that most of us spend an awful lot of time on automatic . We may be thinking about all kinds of other things, from the sexy girl next door, to work, to school or whatever. We are not thinking about how to drive properly. Our subconscious is doing the driving. If that subconscious has not been programmed to drive correctly, it is a disaster waiting to happen.

I got into an argument with another guy recently about cutting corners. My view is that you should ALWAYS avoid cutting corners even if you can see past the corner and know it is safe to cut across the center line. My reasoning is that cutting corners becomes a driving habit, and you will do it when your mind is elsewhere and where it is unsafe, unless you train yourself NEVER to cut corners.

It is remarkably easy to reprogram your own mind to do what is correct. Simply rehearse in your mind the correct response to a situation, doing it enough times, and it will become an automatic response to that situation.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Self programming

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri May 25, 2018 10:44 pm

Lance: EXCELLENT!!! Thinking through a situation is better than not thinking. "Going thru the motions" is even better, but thinking is a good first step.

The one I think I have walked myself through is what to do if you are accosted by a person with a gun and told to get into a car. I do believe that is not the way to go. Better to get shot on the street resisting than to go with the flow. Other big hint when asked for your wallet or $$$==take your wallet out and throw the money into the air as you run away.

Thinking.

Something to think about?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Fri May 25, 2018 10:58 pm

I programmed myself with suggestions to improve my eyesight....months later went to the doctor...he said my eyesight had improved......
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri May 25, 2018 10:59 pm

....but I needed someone else to tell me that, cos I couldn't see it...... :lol:

Lard, save me from your followers.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri May 25, 2018 11:03 pm

And Lance was lucky he wasn't driving over a high ledge. Glad you made it. :-P

Lard, save me from your followers.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri May 25, 2018 11:41 pm

gorgeous wrote:I programmed myself with suggestions to improve my eyesight....months later went to the doctor...he said my eyesight had improved......

G: c'mon. NOW you are just trying to {!#%@} with us! Keep it more subtle, after all, the subject is: thinking.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Fri May 25, 2018 11:58 pm

no...true...mind /body connection is real....there are doctors who give suggestions in operating rooms for patients' blood pressure and heart rate control
...they say it works...and hypnotizing to quit smoking, overeating, drinking...
Last edited by gorgeous on Sat May 26, 2018 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat May 26, 2018 12:06 am

scrmbldggs wrote:And Lance was lucky he wasn't driving over a high ledge. Glad you made it. :-P

Fair point, scrambled.

But when faced with a head on collision, almost any other option is better. Even smashing into a tree gives you a better chance of survival. Even a fall over a drop, unless it is a high drop.

Return to “Brain, Mind, & Consciousness”