Scientists discover evidence of early human innovation, pushing back evolutionary timeline

Creationism, Intelligent Design, and Evolution.
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Scientists discover evidence of early human innovation, pushing back evolutionary timeline

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:13 pm

Evidence of innovation dates to a period when humans faced an unpredictable and uncertain environment, according to three new studies

Date: March 15, 2018

Source: Smithsonian

Summary: Scientists discovered that early humans in East Africa had -- by about 320,000 years ago -- begun trading with distant groups, using color pigments and manufacturing more sophisticated tools than those of the Early Stone Age, tens of thousands of years earlier than previous evidence has shown in eastern Africa. As earthquakes remodeled the landscape and climate fluctuated between wet and dry conditions, technological and social innovation would have helped early humans survive unpredictable conditions.

Anthropologists at the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History and an international team of collaborators have discovered that early humans in East Africa had -- by about 320,000 years ago -- begun trading with distant groups, using color pigments and manufacturing more sophisticated tools than those of the Early Stone Age. These newly discovered activities approximately date to the oldest known fossil record of Homo sapiens and occur tens of thousands of years earlier than previous evidence has shown in eastern Africa. These behaviors, which are characteristic of humans who lived during the Middle Stone Age, replaced technologies and ways of life that had been in place for hundreds of thousands of years.

Evidence for these milestones in humans' evolutionary past comes from the Olorgesailie Basin in southern Kenya, which holds an archeological record of early human life spanning more than a million years. The new discoveries, reported in three studies published March 15 in the journal Science, indicate that these behaviors emerged during a period of tremendous environmental variability in the region. As earthquakes remodeled the landscape and climate fluctuated between wet and dry conditions, technological innovation, social exchange networks and early symbolic communication would have helped early humans survive and obtain the resources they needed despite unpredictable conditions, the scientists say.

"This change to a very sophisticated set of behaviors that involved greater mental abilities and more complex social lives may have been the leading edge that distinguished our lineage from other early humans," said Rick Potts, director of the National Museum of Natural History's Human Origins Program.

Potts has been leading the Human Origin Program's research in Olorgesailie for more than 30 years in collaboration with the National Museums of Kenya. He is the lead author on one of the three Science publications that describe the adaptive challenges that early humans faced during this phase of evolution. Alison Brooks, a professor of anthropology at George Washington University's Center for the Advanced Study of Human Paleobiology and an associate of the museum's Human Origins Program, is lead author on the paper that focuses on the evidence of early resource exchange and use of coloring materials in the Olorgesailie Basin. A third paper, by Alan Deino at the Berkeley Geochronology Center and colleagues, details the chronology of the Middle Stone Age discoveries.

Continues...
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Scientists discover evidence of early human innovation, pushing back evolutionary timeline

Postby OlegTheBatty » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:23 pm

There you have it. Neanderthals became extinct when H. sapiens invented tariffs, making the N's products less competitive. Take that, protectionists!
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Re: Scientists discover evidence of early human innovation, pushing back evolutionary timeline

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:23 am

I have a problem with the word "trading" to explain how technologies were moving between different Neanderthal troops (tribes) 320,000 years ago. I can't see how anyone can conclude it was trading rather than pillaging or just plain killing and taking. during inter tribal warfare.

Then again, I'm wondering about genetic diversity and dowry. Perhaps tools did get handed over with daughters. Perhaps dowry is an innate thing to allow for genetic diversity.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:14 am

Perhaps it was easier to trade than to make war.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:34 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Perhaps it was easier to trade than to make war.

I'm not 100% sure what I'm claiming. :lol:

I'm sitting and thinking about other ways technologies would get transferred between Neanderthal tribes.

My gut feeling is that neanderthal tribes had to exchange sons and daughters with other tribes to keep up genetic diversity and perhaps this is the simple answer. Basically were are talking about knaping stone tools and weaving leaf baskets to carry things. It's not like passing across a complex cooking recipe.

That's my current gut feeling, which may be 100% wrong.
:D

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:29 am

Trading wives with other tribes is still the practice in some societies today.

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:52 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Trading wives with other tribes is still the practice in some societies today.

Erm... trading husbands, no? I mean, just look at Trump... loaned out while wifey was having a child. Waste not want not....

salomed
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: Cartesian Skeptic

Postby salomed » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:38 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:I have a problem with the word "trading" to explain how technologies were moving between different Neanderthal troops (tribes) 320,000 years ago. I can't see how anyone can conclude it was trading rather than pillaging or just plain killing and taking. during inter tribal warfare.

By finding comparable distributions of relevant traded goods in the archeological records of the relevant trading partners, at comparable times in the past.
Comment savez-vous que vous ne parlez pas bollox?
Sur internet: http://bit.ly/14A0n9H

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:18 pm

salomed wrote: By finding comparable distributions of relevant traded goods in the archeological records of the relevant trading partners, at comparable times in the past.

Salomed? Can you tell us what things were being exchanged to allow "trade" 320,000 year ago? :lol:

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:13 pm

It's not impossible. We've found seashells well away from the coasts. PRETTY! is a tradable commodity.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:29 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:It's not impossible. We've found seashells well away from the coasts. PRETTY! is a tradable commodity.
I'm fine with that.

I'm just saying that a distant tribe adopting another tribe's method of knapping stone tools, may as well be members of the tribe leaving and taking the knowledge with them to the next tribe. Tribes with existing alpha males, do have leaving members.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:41 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:It's not impossible. We've found seashells well away from the coasts. PRETTY! is a tradable commodity.
I'm fine with that.

I'm just saying that a distant tribe adopting another tribe's method of knapping stone tools, may as well be members of the tribe leaving and taking the knowledge with them to the next tribe. Tribes with existing alpha males, do have leaving members.

And "humans" were knowledge buckets. You could trade a flint knapper for a fletcher, or an expert at fish traps for a kid who had leather tanning down pat.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:34 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:I'm sitting and thinking about other ways technologies would get transferred between Neanderthal tribes.

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:04 am

Is there any landmass that wasn’t under water at some prior time?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:51 am

TJrandom wrote:

Eh?

Oh.

Seashells that are fresh look substantially different from ones that have been in the ground for as long as you've been alive.

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:22 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
TJrandom wrote:

Eh?

Oh.

Seashells that are fresh look substantially different from ones that have been in the ground for as long as you've been alive.

Yea, I knew that - having retrieved shells in ocean sediment on mountain road cuts... I was just throwing out {!#%@}... :)

salomed
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: Cartesian Skeptic

Postby salomed » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:11 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
salomed wrote: By finding comparable distributions of relevant traded goods in the archeological records of the relevant trading partners, at comparable times in the past.

Salomed? Can you tell us what things were being exchanged to allow "trade" 320,000 year ago? :lol:

Shells?
Comment savez-vous que vous ne parlez pas bollox?
Sur internet: http://bit.ly/14A0n9H

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:57 pm

And information. "Show me how you sewed that coat together so neatly and I'll get Ugg to show you how to build a fish trap."

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:22 pm

Such a short time from pointy stick to USB stick...

Lard, save me from your followers.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:52 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Such a short time from pointy stick to USB stick...

Ohhhh, is THAT what's wrong with JO#s' computer!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:02 pm

:laff:

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:16 am

Excerpt:

Skilled female artisans

In traditional societies it is usually women who are in charge of the pottery craft and it is also common for women to relocate upon marriage. Corded Ware burials show that females were more likely to receive pottery as burial gifts, and analyses from European cemeteries show that the women were more likely to relocate during their lifetime.

It is likely that the first Corded Ware Culture artisans to arrive at the Fenno-Baltic and Swedish coasts were women who had learned their craft at their place of birth. They would have begun to use the clay available at their new home, but they mixed it with crushed pieces of pottery they had brought with them. Perhaps this was a way to preserve the older pottery which had been made in their previous homelands, thus maintaining a symbolic connection to their families and the members of their former communities in their everyday lives.

The study posits that skilled female artisans arrived in Sweden particularly from Estonia and Finland, as both the geochemical origin and cultural links of the imported pottery indicates a connection to the region. Cultural similarities in turn link the first Corded Ware communities in Finland and Estonia to the eastern part of the Bay of Finland, present day Russia.

The exchange network also suggests that even during the Stone Age, the Baltic Sea was less an obstacle and more a connection between communities, attaching Finland to a broader European culture

carrollrobert 4 + Y

Postby carrollrobert 4 + Y » Sun May 20, 2018 1:15 am

The Bible has allegorical stories which might suggest the emergence of human consciousness at about 3000 years BC. Julian Jaynes wrote about "The Bicameral Mind" in 1977. This is the point that humans started using written language. However, it appears that consciousness does not just become universal in a matter of a few weeks. This tells me that "contemporary" consciousness might go back into history some thousands of years.

So my question, assuming Jaynes is correct that contemporary conciousness emerged about 3000 years ago, how far back could contemporary consciousness been emerging in human populations before a kind of critical mass pushed the entire population of earth into consciousness?

I should define consciousness: Our consciousness is aware of itself as well as its object. Our body and mind are the same. We have a mind/body consciousness. Our consiousness is the seat of our intellect as well as its emotions.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue May 22, 2018 8:50 am

The Sumerians had a civilization well before 3,000 years ago.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue May 22, 2018 1:02 pm

Does one need to be conscious to appreciate tunes?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue May 22, 2018 1:21 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Does one need to be conscious to appreciate tunes?

I thought that was where you were going. :D

Imagine rythmic chanting to coordinate labor, like moving megalyths. Some genius puts words to the chant. 8-)

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue May 22, 2018 1:39 pm

An' a one, an' a two, an' a one two three... :-P

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Tue May 22, 2018 3:29 pm

carrollrobert 4 + Y wrote:The Bible has allegorical stories which might suggest the emergence of human consciousness at about 3000 years BC. .

I suggest that you ditch the Bible as a reference. By 3000 BC we were ending the Neolithic period, and those guys were undoubtedly conscious.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue May 22, 2018 7:40 pm

One of my favorite "maps": doesn't go back quite far enough, doesn't include Western Hemisphere. I always wonder why Egypt doesn't continue if China does? I think China has a continuous WRITTEN record of their history back 3000 years or so...Pyramids are older, certainly the product of a conscious mind?

The Great Flood and humans being reduced to the Family of Moses has always struck me as a sticking point. How did so few people multiple and spread out all over the world? No time to do it.......yet.....its an article of faith....not to mention the animals, pillars of salt that would have been washed away and so forth.

Faith.

Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue May 22, 2018 8:36 pm

I bet Moses would have been in quite some demand during Noah's time. :heh:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue May 22, 2018 8:59 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:I bet Moses would have been in quite some demand during Noah's time. :heh:

Ha, ha.......thanks Eggs. thats about the 3-4th time Ive confused the two. I just don't care enough?==>but I do need to be accurate.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Return to “Origins”