Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Re: Graham Nicholls OBE a skeptical look

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:46 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:My favorite is:

Tiny silver fish
Facing Upsteam, Go Downstream
In clear swift water.

Note both "excellent" haikus follow the most conservative form of it being about nature and "mine" is better as it tells us about the human condition AND contains a paradox. I've not seen one better.

No paradox. Steamed fish goes down well.

Lard, save me from your followers.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:58 pm

Eggs: thats not a Haiku. Let's give it a try:

Paradox re fish
Some go downstream, some are steamed
But all disappear.

So....its about nature, has a nice "back on itself" little joke. Quite a good one actually.......but it may rot from its head.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:59 pm

gorgeous wrote:yes, and missing pregnancies and miraculous healings by aliens that doctors can't explain have been documented
So what? I could "document" my ability to fly, and probably find any number of gullible people to swear they'd witnessed it. Tons of people believe that stage magicians are performing actual magic, when what they create is believable illusions.

And the reason is that the brain manipulates the details of an experience until they fit into its model of reality:
• When this process occurs in a person who lacks critical thinking skills, he will grasp at irrational explanations for what he's observed in order to resolve the cognitive dissonance. "It must have been magic...or aliens...or ghosts...or god."
* When this process occurs in a person who habitually thinks critically, his automatic conclusion is that the event has a rational explanation, whether or not he can formulate one. Cognitive dissonance is avoided, not by grasping at irrational answers, but by accepting that there is a rational answer, even if he never discovers it.
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:06 pm

no proof that you exist
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:43 pm

gorgeous wrote:nik seems to share some of the symptoms within the schizophrenia spectrum: disorganized speech, impaired cognition, delusions
Being offended by a comment that did not specifically target you is irrational. Did I specifically say that you have symptoms of schizophrenia? Let's check...
It seems to share some of the symptoms within the schizophrenia spectrum: disorganized speech, impaired cognition, delusions. (To me, the ability to sustain belief in an unproven person, thing, or concept IS delusional. Whether it's religion, conspiracy theories, ghosts, Bigfoot, psychic powers, etc. I try to deliberately not think about the large numbers of delusional people in the world, because it's both frightening and depressing. :? )
Nope. No mention of gorgeous...unless you habitually think of yourself as "it." So, no insult was proffered, yet you took offense and retaliated. Grow up, ffs.

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:03 pm

Mara wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:
Mara wrote: Take care Gorgeous. I hope you are treated reasonably wherever you are.
He's in Pasadena, California. :D

you know...his name and the profile picture...- to me that is a case of alter egos. I think the theory of sub-personalities formation due to unprocessed tensions' traumas and it's link to believing in having phenomena of OBE, UFO abductions etc. is looking promising. I am aware that psychology has been researching the theory of sub-personalities/alter egos but I think they need to hurry up as it's spreading like a virus... Something like 3,000 people came out in recent decade to ACERN saying that they are getting abducted by aliens, medical tests are being done on them, they are forced into sexual acts with reptilians, and that aliens are showing them dangers of environmental crisis...(interestingly the aliens do not seem to abduct the oil company directors or policy makers ;-) Anyhow, the current diagnostic manual does not have allowance for it! ...Perhaps, the time has come to officially acknowledge that religious/spiritual inclinations are, in fact, a mental health issue. Political correctness will not do any more.

Gorgon (gorgeous) is best enjoyed on ignore.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:31 pm

gorgeous wrote:no proof that you exist
Ah, yes...your standard generic irrational denial when you have no rational argument to present. The very fact that you are interacting with me proves I exist...at least in your mind. Otherwise, it would be you writing these excoriating posts to yourself, which would make you sado-masochistic. :mrgreen:

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:04 pm

said bot...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:25 pm

gorgeous wrote:said bot...
Nikki's got you Gorgeous. Why would you respond if you thought Nikki was a bot?

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:58 pm

Stop hitting yourself!

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:40 pm

The other day, gorgeous came running home from school. "Mommy, mommy, I was the only student who could count to 10. No one else could count past 5. See? 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10. Is that because I am gorgeous?" "Yes, dear, it's because you are gorgeous."

The next day, gorgeous came running home from school. "Mommy, mommy, I was the only student who knew the alphabet all the way to k. None of the others got past d. See? A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K. Is that because I am gorgeous?" "Yes dear, it's because you are gorgeous."

The third day, gorgeous came running home from school. "Mommy, mommy, the teacher took us to the swimming pool today, and I am the only one with a hairy chest. Is that because I am gorgeous?" "No dear, it's because you are 55 years old."
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:15 am

haters hate the obe truth...

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:31 am

gorgeous wrote:haters hate the obe truth...

I posted once before, maybe twice, that the only "Woo" experience I have ever had was an OBE.

G: sincerely for my info: what is the truth of an obe experience?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:43 am

that they are real and out of body

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:32 am

Unlike georgie, who's fake and out of mind. :heh:

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:35 am

gorgeous wrote:haters hate the obe truth...
.....and you hate science. :D

Science already knows what an OBE is. You just don't know anything about anything.
:lol:

How the Brain Creates Out-of-Body Experiences
https://www.livescience.com/41128-out-o ... ained.html

The Truth About Near Death Experiences: Scientific Explanations of NDE and OBE
https://owlcation.com/stem/The-Truth-Ab ... planations

Near-Death Experiences Now Found to Have Scientific Explanations
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... ear-death/

Mara
Poster

Postby Mara » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:46 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:
gorgeous wrote:yes, and missing pregnancies and miraculous healings by aliens that doctors can't explain have been documented
So what? I could "document" my ability to fly, and probably find any number of gullible people to swear they'd witnessed it. Tons of people believe that stage magicians are performing actual magic, when what they create is believable illusions.

And the reason is that the brain manipulates the details of an experience until they fit into its model of reality:
• When this process occurs in a person who lacks critical thinking skills, he will grasp at irrational explanations for what he's observed in order to resolve the cognitive dissonance. "It must have been magic...or aliens...or ghosts...or god."
* When this process occurs in a person who habitually thinks critically, his automatic conclusion is that the event has a rational explanation, whether or not he can formulate one. Cognitive dissonance is avoided, not by grasping at irrational answers, but by accepting that there is a rational answer, even if he never discovers it.

Amen to that ;-) Although, Gorgeous does not have critical thinking skills, he does what politicians do, if you keep everything at general enough level then every thing will fit that theory like ‘how do you know you exist’ lol - there is a term for it in philosophy, I forgot what it’s called...it’s useless in a real world tho.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:08 am

gorgeous wrote:that they are real and out of body

Well G, isn't that the very issue? What part of my experience (rising up out of my body and looking down on myself from 5 feet up) was real and what part was just "an experience." You Know G: you can't go around posting "Do you Exist" and then post about "real" experiences. Its just too selective.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:10 am

Mara wrote: there is a term for it in philosophy, I forgot what it’s called...it’s useless in a real world tho.

Solipsism may come close to some of the elements you may have in mind. Like any and all "ideas"....its not worthless. Just part of the whole that needs to be balanced.

...............mind the gap.

Mara
Poster

Postby Mara » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:31 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Mara wrote: there is a term for it in philosophy, I forgot what it’s called...it’s useless in a real world tho.

Solipsism may come close to some of the elements you may have in mind. Like any and all "ideas"....its not worthless. Just part of the whole that needs to be balanced.

...............mind the gap.

It was something along the lines of 'in order to explain one mystery, you need a greater mystery and somehow they cancel themselves out ' lol - Classic Gorgeous to me!

'Meaning' is what people make it to be, but that is exactly why we need rationalism to study the world outside of us because we are so subjective in nature. That's why we need technology and verification methodologies. The world outside of us exists very much so and it exists independently whether we like to acknowledge it or not. The idea behind the panpsychism, New Age, guys like Tom Campbell and what have you, is extremely anthropocentric, typical of monotheist religions funded mentality...especially if you top it up with patriarchy...did you notice that most of those 'researches' that claim to have figured out The Theory of Everything tend to be old school males? ;-p

If I had to choose one it would be Nietzsche. I reckon he was so honest with himself during his life that in the end his mind could not handle it and he lost it (he went down with an unseal mental breakdown), which makes me think that homo sapiens are gullible on some very fundamental survival level as we cannot handle the truth, that is, we are just a piece of meat with many illusions, existing simply because once upon a time our parents' hormones told them to have sex ;-)

Mara
Poster

Postby Mara » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:46 am

*unusual (multitasking!)

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:49 pm

Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.---for mara...he is a fundamentalist....

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:45 pm

Recognizing your own repeat failure, aintcha georgie?

Edit: Added user name
Last edited by scrmbldggs on Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:48 pm

Mara wrote:*unusual (multitasking!)

You can use that little pencil icon to the very left of the "quote" button to edit your posts if you wish. (If doing so after others have quoted you, it's nice if you explain what was edited, especially if it changed the meaning of it.)

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:19 pm

gorgeous wrote:Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

You really are an idiot. How are the fictional characters, the tooth fairy, Bigfoot, the Easter bunny, Seth and God, a threat to anyone? Why not add in, Harry Potter, Nemo, Gremlins and Sinbad the sailor? :lol:

Mara
Poster

Postby Mara » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:41 am

Haha!

We certainly had plenty of wars in the name of the God...and who doesn’t fight in those wars? - atheists.

People who believe in spirituality have a lot to lose when proven wrong, usually it’s their sense of worthiness and purpose, it’s like a survival instinct to them to protect it and deny any other explanations. G is a text book example of it.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:41 am

conspiracy theories, ghosts, Bigfoot, psychic powers, are real as is God ....you will learn...

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:45 am

gorgeous wrote:conspiracy theories, ghosts, Bigfoot, psychic powers, are real as is God ....you will learn...

No Gorgeous. Its been almost 100 years and there is still no evidence for pixies leprechauns, bigfoot or God.

You sort of got left behind in the Dark Ages, didn't you?
:lol:

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:12 am

Mara wrote:People who believe in spirituality have a lot to lose when proven wrong, usually it’s their sense of worthiness and purpose, it’s like a survival instinct to them to protect it and deny any other explanations. G is a text book example of it.
Spot on. Self-esteem is not supposed to be measured using external yardsticks.

Io
Poster

Postby Io » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:37 am

Sometimes I think I'm missing out on some important fun by having gorge on ignore. Then I visit while logged out and the doubt is removed. I think "I'll have to reply to that balls" so I sign in, but then can't see the post to quote it and realise that I didn't really need to that much after all. It's like a safety valve.

Mara
Poster

Postby Mara » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:50 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:
Mara wrote:People who believe in spirituality have a lot to lose when proven wrong, usually it’s their sense of worthiness and purpose, it’s like a survival instinct to them to protect it and deny any other explanations. G is a text book example of it.

In fact, that’s what original Buddism teaching call ‘attachment’. Many don’t realise but Buddism is essentially an atheistic philosophy of life as it states that having the knowledge of reality should not be the factor determining whether we are able to achieve self-fulfillment or achieve spiritual freedom. Making our own fulfillment depended on beliefs, theories etc. is a prison. They even have a parable on it about a man who get shot by an arrow and refuses to receive help from a ‘medic’ without knowing who the medic is, what he believes in and represents, becouse of that ‘attachment’ the shot man dies as he runs out of time even though the help was there available to him. I am afraid G is stuck in such prison hence his compulsion to keep posting on a ‘Skeptic Forum’ for 5 years trying to convince others of his beliefs. In a way G’s behavior does not represent even a proper spirituality. It’s just a case of dependency and brainwashing. Sorry G, but I am actually trying to help you so you can get your existential freedom back again, although I am not sure how long you have been stuck in it xox

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:36 am

Io wrote:Sometimes I think I'm missing out on some important fun by having gorge on ignore.
Gorgeous once explained to us, female anatomy and where human babies came from.

It was "unusual". It was like a hills tribesman in Papua New Guinea describing a car, without ever having seen a car.
:D

Mara
Poster

Postby Mara » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:40 am

Let me try to guess.. children come from a stork bird...or through a black hole? I am quite curious actually ;-)

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:50 am

Mara wrote:Let me try to guess.. children come from a stork bird...or through a black hole? I am quite curious actually ;-)

Female eggs come from your navel. Aliens harvest eggs from human female navels. Didn't you know? :D

( I will try find his original post so you can enjoy the post as much as I did)

Mara
Poster

Postby Mara » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:21 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Mara wrote:Let me try to guess.. children come from a stork bird...or through a black hole? I am quite curious actually ;-)

Female eggs come from your navel. Aliens harvest eggs from human female navels. Didn't you know? :D

( I will try find his original post so you can enjoy the post as much as I did)

That’s a bit superficial...even for G, the correct interpretation, I imagine, would be ‘aliens harvest human eggs THROUGH female navels... by a use of a very long scary needle’ Bwahahaha! (evil laugh) :mrgreen:

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:09 pm

yes

Mara
Poster

Postby Mara » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:20 pm

gorgeous wrote:yes

Well then, considering your spiritual perspectives, I imagine, you must be on high doses of Xanax or oxy... it must be exhausting to live in fear of a constant prospect of Allen probing... Poor G, my heart goes to you x

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:14 pm

Mara wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:

In fact, that’s what original Buddism teaching call ‘attachment’. Many don’t realise but Buddism is essentially an atheistic philosophy of life as it states that having the knowledge of reality should not be the factor determining whether we are able to achieve self-fulfillment or achieve spiritual freedom.
I'm the opposite; the more knowledge I learn, the freer and more fulfilled I am, because knowledge is power. Without it, my reality would be chaos over which I had no control. No thanks! I'm not a fan of passively letting life happen to me. :mrgreen:

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:16 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Io wrote:Sometimes I think I'm missing out on some important fun by having gorge on ignore.
Gorgeous once explained to us, female anatomy and where human babies came from.

It was "unusual". It was like a hills tribesman in Papua New Guinea describing a car, without ever having seen a car.
:D
Come to think of it, Gorgeous does sort of "Cargo Cult" her reality. :P

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:07 pm

Mara wrote: That’s a bit superficial...even for G, the correct interpretation, I imagine, would be ‘aliens harvest human eggs THROUGH female navels... by a use of a very long scary needle’ Bwahahaha! (evil laugh) :mrgreen:
Gorgeous is a self writing comic strip of "Woo" :D

Matthew Ellard wrote:It was "unusual". It was like a hills tribesman in Papua New Guinea describing a car, without ever having seen a car. :D
Nikki Nyx wrote: Come to think of it, Gorgeous does sort of "Cargo Cult" her reality. :P
Boom Tish! :lol:

Return to “UFOs, Cryptozoology, and The Paranormal”