Neanderthals' lack of drawing ability may relate to hunting techniques

Creationism, Intelligent Design, and Evolution.
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:29 am

Spear-throwing gave Homo sapiens better eye-hand coordination, smarter brains

Date: February 9, 2018

Source: University of California - Davis

Summary: Visual imagery used in drawing regulates arm movements in manner similar to how hunters visualize the arc of a spear.

Visual imagery used in drawing regulates arm movements in manner similar to how hunters visualize the arc of a spear. Neanderthals had large brains and made complex tools but never demonstrated the ability to draw recognizable images, unlike early modern humans who created vivid renderings of animals and other figures on rocks and cave walls. That artistic gap may be due to differences in the way they hunted, suggests a University of California, Davis, expert on predator-prey relations and their impacts on the evolution of behavior.

Neanderthals used thrusting spears to bring down tamer prey in Eurasia, while Homo sapiens, or modern humans, spent hundreds of thousands of years spear-hunting wary and dangerous game on the open grasslands of Africa.

Richard Coss, a professor emeritus of psychology, says the hand-eye coordination involved in both hunting with throwing spears and drawing representational art could be one factor explaining why modern humans became smarter than Neanderthals.

In an article recently published in the journal Evolutionary Studies in Imaginative Culture, Coss examines archaeological evidence, genomics, neuroscience studies, animal behavior and prehistoric cave art.

New theory of evolution

Continues...
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Re: Neanderthals' lack of drawing ability may relate to hunting techniques

Postby TJrandom » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:43 am

I never threw spears, but was rather good at throwing stones... Does that explain why I can`t draw? But wait... I was good at drawing water with a bucket. And... and drawing the short straw...

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:55 am

TJrandom wrote:I never threw spears, but was rather good at throwing stones... Does that explain why I can`t draw? But wait... I was good at drawing water with a bucket. And... and drawing the short straw...

Blame Darwin for that one.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:27 pm

As long as you can draw a salary, or retire on the fruits of such, it matters little whatever else you can draw.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:47 pm

I read that article also, and my skepticism immediately kicked in. There is only one quality our species has, in which we are superior physically (as opposed to brain power) over all other living things. That is, we are the best in the entire living world at throwing. Turns out that our shoulder joint is subtly different to other primates, in order to permit exceptional throwing ability.

Our ancestors undoubtedly used throwing spears with great effect, and that would have been a major contributor to their survival. Neanderthals did not. That difference may have been how it was that sapiens was able to drive Neanderthals to extinction. But the 'superior' sapiens shoulder joint did not come from being able to draw.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:59 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:I read that article also, and my skepticism strawmanning instinct immediately kicked in. There is only one quality our species has, in which we are superior physically (as opposed to brain power) over all other living things. That is, we are the best in the entire living world at throwing. Turns out that our shoulder joint is subtly different to other primates, in order to permit exceptional throwing ability.

Our ancestors undoubtedly used throwing spears with great effect, and that would have been a major contributor to their survival. Neanderthals did not. That difference may have been how it was that sapiens was able to drive Neanderthals to extinction. But the 'superior' sapiens shoulder joint did not come from being able to draw.

Fixed your spelling error.

He doesn't propose that drawing influenced the shoulder joint. He hypothesizes that the same shoulder (more precisely - it's throwing ability)
allowed better drawing skills, and that the planning skills needed for artistry and hunting enhanced each other and may have caused an increase in intelligence.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:36 pm

Oleg

In what way does a shoulder joint adapted for throwing permit better drawing skills ? After all, you do not draw from your shoulder. The joints used are primarily those of the wrist and hand.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:39 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:Oleg

In what way does a shoulder joint adapted for throwing permit better drawing skills ? After all, you do not draw from your shoulder. The joints used are primarily those of the wrist and hand.

Talk to the researcher - he's the artist, not me.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:41 pm

All I know is: everything is connected to everything else.........so........at least there is a connection. I know that when my shoulder hurts, I don't feel like drawing?---and you do have to move your shoulders to set up those easels. Or... pile up rocks to get high up on the primo spot on the wall, top of the cave??? Looks like lots of shoulder work to me.............
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:53 pm

This one goes in the "100 Year" file. I'll look at it again in a 100 years. If it is still reasonable I'll take it out of the "100 Year" file and NOT toss it.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:22 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:All I know is: everything is connected to everything else.........so........at least there is a connection. I know that when my shoulder hurts, I don't feel like drawing?---and you do have to move your shoulders to set up those easels. Or... pile up rocks to get high up on the primo spot on the wall, top of the cave??? Looks like lots of shoulder work to me.............

I agree - without the shoulder movement, those cave paintings would have been at chest level at best. And maybe that is where the Neanderthals drew, and the Sapiens erased.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:48 am

Weak, TJ.

Even a Neanderthal could pile a few logs to stand on if he wanted a higher painting. Nor do I think his shoulder joint would stop him reaching high. Throwing is not the same as reaching.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:02 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Weak, TJ.

Even a Neanderthal could pile a few logs to stand on if he wanted a higher painting. Nor do I think his shoulder joint would stop him reaching high. Throwing is not the same as reaching.

I didn`t write the article and know nothing of Neanderthals, much less their shoulder restrictions. Michelangelo painted something while on his back, using scaffolding - but cavemen probably did not erect scaffolding to `do` their ceilings, so I suspect that free shoulder movement was necessary. Just a hunch.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:05 am

I must admit not knowing enough either. But my best guess is that the Neanderthal shoulder joint would not stop them reaching.

The sapiens joint is adapted for throwing, and the best throwing technique requires more of a sideways ability. I doubt the adaptation alters ability to reach upwards, in either species.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:02 pm

Oh, NEANDERTHALS! I thought it said Netherlands.

Never mind. Post redacted.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:04 am

Gord wrote:Oh, NEANDERTHALS! I thought it said Netherlands.

Never mind. Post redacted.

Come back some starry, starry night and lend an ear.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:33 pm

Neanderthal artwork

New dating technique shows that Neanderthals were making art at least 70k years before the earliest known H. sapiens art. Some cave art thought to be H. sapiens was done 20k years before H. sapiens arrived on the scene.

H. sapiens art is more detailed, which brings us back to the OP.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:14 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:Neanderthal artwork

New dating technique shows that Neanderthals were making art at least 70k years before the earliest known H. sapiens art. Some cave art thought to be H. sapiens was done 20k years before H. sapiens arrived on the scene.

H. sapiens art is more detailed, which brings us back to the OP.

Neanderthals are alive and well at the NYT with their simple Subscribe Now or no peeky peeky. :cry: The Telegraph to the rescue.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:34 am

Yeah. but they only did that because they had so much time on their hands as a result of not having anything to cook and eat 'cos they couldn't throw spears. :dizzy: :dizzy:

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:00 am

They didn`t need spears. They drew the animals in by drawing them – on the walls of the caves. Besides, a plateosaurus would keep them fed for a week or more.

Return to “Origins”