It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Holocaust denial and related subjects.
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:51 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Josh Marshall:
Let me take a moment to speak up for the word “shithole” which is seeing its reputation damaged by association with Donald Trump. We went to this dive bar. It was a total shithole. That town? Total shithole, never want to go there again. It’s a dump. Closer to President Trump’s ugly usage, Trump wouldn’t be the only American to call a poor or underdeveloped country a shithole. That’s not okay. But my point here is that there’s nothing inherently wrong with the word – nothing more than any other not for polite conversation swear word. And even this ugly usage doesn’t capture the essence of Trump’s meaning. The context and import of President Trump’s remarks are not simply that the countries are “shitholes.” It’s much more than that. It’s that we don’t want people from those countries because the awfulness of the countries attaches to the people themselves. Speaking of whole classes of people, specifically people of color, as basically garbage – is not only disgusting but entirely of a piece with the campaign President Trump ran in 2016 and the policies he is implementing as President today. . . .

With President Trump, using the most denigrating language to say we don’t want immigrants from African or African diaspora countries but want white people instead is clearly and ably captured in his policies. . . . Listen to President Trump, his key advisors and key congressional supporters and the issue is often dressed up as a matter of ‘culture’. Too many immigrants from different cultures will overwhelm and wipe out the America we know. Here President Trump, along with Steve King and the rest of the more or less open racists on Capitol Hill is just making the point explicit. They want to keep the US a majority white and culturally homogenous country. That is Stephen Miller’s core policy agenda. He remains one of Trump’s closest advisors. It is simply keep America as white as possible. . . . Trumpism is ethnic-nationalism, rightist ethnic nationalism, specifically white ethnic nationalism. That’s been crystal clear from day one . . . The heart of Trumpism has always been fueled by panic over the decline of white privilege and a rapidly changing demography in which whites are no longer the overwhelming majority of Americans and in a few decades likely won’t be a majority at all. . . .

“They are taking over” is the backdrop of Trumpism. The shithole comments make that crystal clear. It’s not just exclusion but a palpable dehumanizing contempt. The words only matter in as much as they illustrate the ugliness of what is currently happening and that is real and much more important than mere words. . . .

It’s Like Donald Trump Is Trying To Lose Florida :heh:

Lard, save me from your followers.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:53 pm

gorgeous wrote:Illegal Immigration Costs California $30.3 Billion A Year—17.7 Percent ...

https://nationaleconomicseditorial.com › Analysis

Feb 21, 2017 - Illegal immigrants and their children cost the State of California roughly $30.29 billion per year in net costs. This works out to $7,352 per illegal alien, or ~17.7 percent of California's state budget. Of course, many of these costs are absorbed by local jurisdictions and the federal government, but the drain on ...

The Labor and Output Declines from Removing All Undocumented Immigrants

Immigrants Aren’t Taking Americans’ Jobs, New Study Finds

Trump Administration Rejects Study Showing Positive Impact of Refugees

Trump wants to remove these immigrants. An ugly bit of history tells us what it could do to the economy

I used to think differently about the economic impact of immigration. Then I read more about it.
. . . I mean Negative Capability, that is, when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact and reason—Coleridge, for instance, would let go by a fine isolated verisimilitude caught from the Penetralium of mystery, from being incapable of remaining content with half-knowledge. - John Keats, 1817

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:55 pm

Maybe his intend is driving it to the point where his fraudulent ass will get kicked out. Watch out for (but don't watch) DumpTV...

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:55 pm

I’m OK with that, scrmbldggs. Let them see what Republicans really are.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:56 pm

Kobach was meant to take care of this problem, that people in minority groups can vote.
. . . I mean Negative Capability, that is, when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact and reason—Coleridge, for instance, would let go by a fine isolated verisimilitude caught from the Penetralium of mystery, from being incapable of remaining content with half-knowledge. - John Keats, 1817

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:03 pm

Ah, so this is how he bought McTurtle (in addition to other goodies...).

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:04 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:

Kobach was meant to take care of this problem, that people in minority groups can vote.

I didn't read the article, but he seems to have been making a fool of himself in court?

Edit: Article
Last edited by scrmbldggs on Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:04 pm

LOL yeah so many of us "object[ing] to the idea that countries are different."

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:27 pm

I probably have a very good relationship with Monstrous. I have relationships with people. I think you people are surprised.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:29 pm

He said the place was a Dump...
Spoiler:

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:32 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:

I didn't read the article, but he seems to have been making a fool of himself in court?

Edit: Article

Ah, thanks for the edit, I didn't know what article you meant! It has been Kobach's general assignment to try to block poor and minority voters from casting ballots.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:36 pm

Genius. Until today, if you Googled “Trump” and “shithole” all you got were hotel reviews.
— Grant Hamilton ( @Gramiq )

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:37 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:According to Durbin, Graham was there and remonstrated with Trump about that. How much would you gamble on Graham's integrity? Will any journalist be gauche enough to just ASK THE {!#%@} QUESTION of him?

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ ... -countries

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:37 pm

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:41 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:According to Durbin, Graham was there and remonstrated with Trump about that. How much would you gamble on Graham's integrity? Will any journalist be gauche enough to just ASK THE {!#%@} QUESTION of him?

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ ... -countries

^
“The American ideal is embraced by people all over the globe. It was best said a long time ago, E Pluribus Unum – Out of Many, One. Diversity has always been our strength, not our weakness. In reforming immigration we cannot lose these American Ideals.”

https://nypost.com/2017/12/23/trump-makes-official-presidential-coin-all-about-him/ wrote:The US motto, “E pluribus unum,” has been replaced by Trump’s campaign slogan, “Make America Great Again.”

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:58 pm

Tillerson:
“Values Matter”

Trump:
“No more people from shitholes!!!!”

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/12/politics/tillerson-values-matter/index.html

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:59 pm

Number of the Skeptic:

Total posts:
6666 | Search user’s posts

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:24 pm

The Atlantic is re-featuring Ta-Nehisi Coates' October reflections, "The First White President: Donald Trump's presidency has everything to do with race."

Even Trump ass-lickers, like our own here, don't believe Trump's abject denial of what everyone knows he said.

Eric Levitz in NY Mag Intelligencer explains, as many of us here have done, why gorgeous' line of defense is so futile - and repugnant: "These rebuttals are mindless for obvious reasons. It is possible to communicate the fact that a nation is poor and troubled without likening said nation to an anus (and it is reasonable to expect the president of the United States to be able to execute that task); the essence of Trump’s argument was not that these countries were undesirable places to live, but that the fact of their undesirability reflects an inherent pathology in the people who hail from them." He follows this with a bit of a history lesson on Haiti, slavery and American Caribbean policy.

In The Atlantic, Adam Serwer cuts to the chase: he writes that Trump's "remarks reflect scorn not only for those who wish to come here, but those who already have. It is a president of the United States expressing his contempt for the tens of millions of descendants of Africans, most of whose forefathers had no choice in crossing the Atlantic, American citizens whom any president is bound to serve. And it is a public admission of sorts that he is incapable of being a president for all Americans, the logic of his argument elevating not just white immigrants over brown ones, but white citizens over the people of color they share this country with. . . . It makes the president’s remarks no less racist to say that many who voted for him share the same sentiments; it merely means that those voters subscribe to the same racism. The president was not making an assessment of the relative quality of life in Haiti or Norway, he was condemning entire populations people of as undesirable because of where they were born. Trump’s remarks do not merely express contempt for foreigners; but also for every American who shares their origins."
Last edited by Statistical Mechanic on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:26 pm

btw, not that it matters in priniciple, but . . . "Sub-Saharan immigrants have much higher educational attainment compared to the overall foreign- and native-born populations. In 2015, 39 percent of sub-Saharan Africans (ages 25 and over) had a bachelor’s degree or higher, compared to 29 percent of the total foreign-born population and 31 percent of the U.S.-born population. Nigerians and South Africans were the most highly educated, with 57 percent holding at least a bachelor’s degree, followed by Kenyans (44 percent), Ghanaians (40 percent), Liberians (32 percent), and Ethiopians (29 percent)."

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article ... Attainment

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:38 pm

White supremacists are praising Trump's remarks
Former Ku Klux Klan Grand Wizard David Duke, in a tweet, praised President Trump’s disparaging remarks on immigrants, saying he “spoke blunt, hard truth.”

Prominent white supremacist Richard Spencer took to Twitter to say if the French dominated Haiti, “they could make it great again.”

The neo-Nazi website Daily Stormer said Trump’s remarks were “encouraging and refreshing, as it indicates Trump is more or less on the same page as us with regards to race and immigration.”

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/12/politics/trump-latest/index.html

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:49 pm

reasonable response which will go nowhere: http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/12/politics/ ... index.html

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:53 pm

It is possible to communicate the fact that a nation is poor and troubled without likening said nation to an anus (and it is reasonable to expect the president of the United States to be able to execute that task)...

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:56 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:reasonable response which will go nowhere: http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/12/politics/ ... index.html

It’s a very good idea but it will get no Republican support.

They’ll hem and haw about it, “gee, it’s really unfortunate but that’s just his personality.”

This translates to:

“We really need him to sign stuff for us so we can’t afford any tantrums.”

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:26 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:They’ll hem and haw about it, “gee, it’s really unfortunate but that’s just his personality.”

Or: little snowflakes act like nobody cusses. Or: geez, some countries really do have problems, that's all he was saying.

Jeffk 1970 wrote:This translates to:

“We really need him to sign stuff for us so we can’t afford any tantrums.”

They do need to decide what they want the VSG to sign this year; the midterms will be upon us soon enough, with 30+ Republicans retiring from Congress already.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:29 pm

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:40 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:money for something?

It’s fine, the evangelicals will pray for him and Jesus saves.....as long as Trump does what they want.

BTW, Trump is such a sleazeball I absolutely believe he did this.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:45 pm

Jake Tapper: "The president did not refer to Haiti as a 'shithole' country according to the source familiar with the meeting… though he DID say it about countries in Africa... What happened, the source says, is there was a conflation of two different remarks by the president.... 'Haitians? the president said. 'Why do we need more Haitians? Take them out' —- meaning take them out of the deal. Then in a separate part of the conversation when they were referencing the diversity visa lottery, President Trump referred to people coming from Africa as coming from 'shithole countries.' Again, I’m not saying this is better. Just that this is what happened, per my source."

Doesn't Huckchuckle owe the public a clean, definitive "Shithole Countries" list?

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:45 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote:money for something?

It’s fine, the evangelicals will pray for him and Jesus saves.....as long as Trump does what they want.

BTW, Trump is such a sleazeball I absolutely believe he did this.

It's a good look, too, kind of like watching hookers pee in a Moscow hotel room.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:54 pm

But the rediculous alegation wuz strongly denied a long time ago! How can we, az skeptics possibl....
donald-trump-stormy-daniels.jpg

Good enuf evidens for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:11 pm

It seems that Trump has finally gotten the message – London doesn`t want a Shithole President to visit.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:20 pm

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:36 pm

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... er-trump-s wrote:Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.) said Friday that he'll skip President Trump's State of the Union address later this month over the the president's Thursday comments on "shithole countries," referring to Haiti, El Salvador and several nations in Africa....During the interview, Lewis reacted in disbelief to the president's comments, saying it was "unbelievable" to hear and "incompatible" with Trump's Friday proclamation honoring King.

Watch Dumpy (or his little helpers) turn the highlighted into something... disgusting. :sick:

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:20 am

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:24 am

Colbert: "Those aren't shithole countries. Donald Trump isn't their president."

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:37 am

LOL

Darren Wilshak
Poster

Postby Darren Wilshak » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:27 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Colbert: "Those aren't shithole countries. Donald Trump isn't their president."

I think this Very unstable git might like to be president of all the World. He's off his head.

Darren Wilshak
Poster

Postby Darren Wilshak » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:28 am

JO 753 wrote:But the rediculous alegation wuz strongly denied a long time ago! How can we, az skeptics possibl....
donald-trump-stormy-daniels.jpg

Good enuf evidens for me.

Donnie's pulled again?

Darren Wilshak
Poster

Postby Darren Wilshak » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:29 am

Generally I like your orfogravy Jo 753 but we say RID dicularse.

Statistical Mechanic
Has No Life

Postby Statistical Mechanic » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:34 am

AP report tonight:
As his comments, disclosed by participants in the meeting, ricocheted around the world, Trump made calls to friends and outside advisers to judge their reaction to the tempest, said a person who spoke to Trump but wasn’t authorized to discuss a private conversation.

He wasn’t apologetic, the person said. Instead, Trump blamed the media for distorting his meaning, arguing his description of “shithole” was not racist but rather a straightforward assessment of some nations’ depressed conditions. Trump also said he believed he was expressing what many people think, according to the person.

The long-term damage to America’s global relationships was difficult to predict. But foreign policy experts agreed it could only further alienate the United States at a time when many nations already see the U.S. as a less reliable partner than in the past.

Return to “Holocaust Denial”