Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Heated discussions on a hot topic.
Post Reply
User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 21998
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:28 am

Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic
Date: January 3, 2018
Source: Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
Summary: Scientists have found surprising evidence of rapid climate change in the Arctic: In the middle of the Arctic Ocean near the North Pole, they discovered that the levels of radium-228 have almost doubled over the last decade.

Scientists have found surprising evidence of rapid climate change in the Arctic: In the middle of the Arctic Ocean near the North Pole, they discovered that the levels of radium-228 have almost doubled over the last decade.

The finding indicates that large-scale changes are happening along the coast -- because the source of the radium is the land and shallow continental shelves surrounding the ocean. These coastal changes, in turn, could also be delivering more nutrients, carbon, and other chemicals into the Arctic Ocean and lead to dramatic impacts on Arctic food webs and animal populations.

The research team, led by Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI), suspects that melting sea ice has left more open water near the coast for winds to create waves. The wave action reaches down to the shallow shelves and stirs up sediments, releasing radium that is carried to the surface and away into the open ocean. The same mechanism would likely also mobilize and deliver more nutrients, carbon, and other chemicals into the Arctic Ocean, fueling the growth of plankton at the bottom of the food chain. That, in turn, could have significant impacts on fish and marine mammals and change the Arctic ecosystem.


Continues...
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by Nikki Nyx » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:01 pm

In New England, we broke both high and low temperature records in 2017. And the temperatures haven't been consistent. Today, the high is 9º with the wind chill making it feel like -11º, but a week from now, they're forecasting a high of 44º. Neither one is a normal January in Massachusetts.
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2787
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: A Proven Scientific Skeptic
Contact:

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by Jim Steele » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:51 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:In New England, we broke both high and low temperature records in 2017. And the temperatures haven't been consistent. Today, the high is 9º with the wind chill making it feel like -11º, but a week from now, they're forecasting a high of 44º. Neither one is a normal January in Massachusetts.


You must have just moved to New England to think those temperatures are abnormal. I grew up there and know different.

Such swings are very normal of Boston and New England

For January at Logan Airport

Record high °F (°C) 72 (22)

Mean maximum °F (°C) 56.4 (13.6)

Average high °F (°C) 35.8 (2.1)

Daily mean °F (°C) 29.0 (−1.7)

Average low °F (°C) 22.2 (−5.4)

Mean minimum °F (°C) 4.1 (−15.5)

Record low °F (°C) −13 (−25)
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 21998
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:41 am

Let me guess, Jimmy said something stupid, as usual.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2787
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: A Proven Scientific Skeptic
Contact:

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by Jim Steele » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:05 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Let me guess, Jimmy said something stupid, as usual.


Happy New Year Gawd. Let me say just how impressed I am with your deep thinking and critical scientific analyses. Im sure Boobo is envious
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by Nikki Nyx » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:30 pm

Jim Steele wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:In New England, we broke both high and low temperature records in 2017. And the temperatures haven't been consistent. Today, the high is 9º with the wind chill making it feel like -11º, but a week from now, they're forecasting a high of 44º. Neither one is a normal January in Massachusetts.
You must have just moved to New England to think those temperatures are abnormal. I grew up there and know different.
Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy...haven't you learned yet not to make ungrounded assumptions?

I've been a Masshole for 50 years and am quite familiar with the range of temperatures generally present in each season, especially in the Pioneer Valley, where I live. It's nearly impossible to accurately predict the weather here, given the geographical variables. The Pioneer Valley is bound by the Berkshire Mountains (which run north-south) to the west, the Holyoke Range (which run east-west) to the north, the Connecticut river to the east, and the MA-CT border to the south. Meteorologists have a hard time predicting whether a storm will be shunted north, blow over and miss the Valley, or drop on it like a ton of bricks.

I'm also quite familiar with the outliers. One Halloween, it was so warm, I was able to dress as Pris from Bladerunner without freezing my ass off. The next Halloween, we got a blizzard so heavy, it pulled the power lines off my house and into the brook. The issue is that the outliers are becoming the norm: winter flooding in Boston, frequent hurricane-level winds, tornados, droughts, blizzards, extremes of temperature, etc. It's been colder here than it has in Alaska and Siberia. This is the new normal, 25-30 below historical averages.
Image
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2787
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: A Proven Scientific Skeptic
Contact:

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by Jim Steele » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:06 pm

Nikki,Nikki,Nikki, ..haven't you learned yet not to make ungrounded assumptions?

Please supply the links to studies and data showing long term changes over the past 100-150 years, that support your dubious claim that "the outliers are becoming the norm"

Your map only shows the effect of the Rossby Wave which similarly caused Beringia to be relatively ice free while the Great Lakes were buried in huge glacier during the last Ice Age. This is the long time normal
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by Nikki Nyx » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:10 pm

I haven't made assumptions. And it doesn't matter how much evidence I present to you; none of it will override your confirmation bias. You are too deeply invested in your belief system to be swayed by facts.
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 14760
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:16 pm

Does confirmation bias really apply when evidence is consciously and expressly manipulated and opposing evidence and argument is ignored? I think what Bad Jimbo is doing is much worse than confirmation bias which I have always taken to mean it can be overcome by education, coaching and insight. Not so with Bad Jimbo...............its something else.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Posts: 11213
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by OlegTheBatty » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:02 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Does confirmation bias really apply when evidence is consciously and expressly manipulated and opposing evidence and argument is ignored?


Yes.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 21998
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:18 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Does confirmation bias really apply when evidence is consciously and expressly manipulated and opposing evidence and argument is ignored?


Yes.
And Little Jimmy isn't that good anyway.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2787
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: A Proven Scientific Skeptic
Contact:

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by Jim Steele » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:51 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:I haven't made assumptions. And it doesn't matter how much evidence I present to you; none of it will override your confirmation bias. You are too deeply invested in your belief system to be swayed by facts.


ROTFLMAO Nikki, Just how much evidence have you presented????? I have presented far more evidence than anyone on this forum. And weren't you the one asking for links and berating those who don't provide them. But now you dodge the request for links and evidence with a personal attack. You are so like Boobo.

Boobo gets the prize for the most meaningless psychobabble.

And who could ever ague that I am the only one, here suffering from confirmation bias? ROTFLMAO. Everyone else is totally objective, providing both sides with abundant evidence.

I Guess Nikki you can get the prize for most humorous without intending to be.

And Gawd, when you call me Little Jimmy, I feel such an affectionate bond from you that it would make Earl Bradley jealous.
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by Nikki Nyx » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:07 pm

Jim Steele wrote:ROTFLMAO Nikki, Just how much evidence have you presented????? I have presented far more questionable evidence than anyone on this forum.
FIFY
Jim Steele wrote:And weren't you the one asking for links and berating those who don't provide them.
No, that was Bobbo.
Jim Steele wrote:But now you dodge the request for links and evidence with a personal attack.
Given that you perceive everything as a personal attack, it's impossible to converse with you. You choose to be offended, even if you have to imagine a reason.
Jim Steele wrote:You are so like Boobo.
Not remotely. Your conclusion is based on conflating my posts with his.
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 21998
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:11 pm

You really don't have to pay attention to Little Jimmy.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2787
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: A Proven Scientific Skeptic
Contact:

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by Jim Steele » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:44 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:
Jim Steele wrote:And weren't you the one asking for links and berating those who don't provide them.
No, that was Bobbo.



Hmmm I guess your memory aint so good

Nikki Nyx wrote:How can we have any kind of meaningful discussion on the issue? Would you please post links to your evidence?


posting.php?mode=quote&f=40&p=587238
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2787
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: A Proven Scientific Skeptic
Contact:

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by Jim Steele » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:02 pm

Nikki, Anyone can read the past thread regards my original post (seen below), which you tried to undermine via a onslaught of psychobabble and a demand for links, even though the 1st graph had a title referring to the GHCN that could easily be verified and a second citation to the journal article from which the graph was taken.

In your continued demand for links, I told you to read any of my essays in which the evidence in all may arguments are from peer reviewed journal that I cited. You tried to denigrate that by psychobabble that I was just linking to essays that I had written my self, while ignoring that my essays contained abundant citations to the scientific literature.

When I asked what was your evidence to distrust my graph from the GHCN showing the sparseness of their weather stations, you dodged that issue as well saying you did not have to do so. You were happy to attack and denigrate without evidence and without links, just as you do in this thread. It is clear by the way you deny your own comments you are a very disingenuous person.


Jim Steele wrote:Most of the world has extremely poor climate coverage as seen in the map below. The global average is based on imaginary data that infills all those uncovered regions.

Image


In contrast best most complete coverage is in the USA , and there the temperatures oscillate like the oceans with scant or no warming since the 30s.

Hmmm


Image


graph from Shen, S., et al., (2011) The twentieth century contiguous US temperature changes indicated by daily data and higher statistical moments. Climatic Change Volume 109, Issue 3-4, pp 287-317.
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 14760
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:28 pm

Without links.....................no one should respond to you absent making this same demand.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2787
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: A Proven Scientific Skeptic
Contact:

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by Jim Steele » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:26 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Without links.....................no one should respond to you absent making this same demand.


ROTFLMAO ...says the Boobo who never provides links to any of his dishonest fabricated attempts at character assassination ... jus like Nikki. Twins!
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 14760
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:03 am

Lead by example rather than making any excuse you think works.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2787
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: A Proven Scientific Skeptic
Contact:

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by Jim Steele » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:30 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Lead by example rather than making any excuse you think works.


ROTFLMAO Please Boobo lead by example, if just once
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 14760
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:47 am

Bad Jimbo. You are the self proclaimed scientist admonishing everyone who doesn't agree with you (which is virtually the entire science community). I almost always post links when I am referring to an outside source.

Try it.

Without links.....................no one should respond to you absent making this same demand.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2787
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: A Proven Scientific Skeptic
Contact:

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by Jim Steele » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:32 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Bad Jimbo. You are the self proclaimed scientist admonishing everyone who doesn't agree with you (which is virtually the entire science community). I almost always post links when I am referring to an outside source.



Please provide a quote and links to back up your apocryphal claim!
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2787
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: A Proven Scientific Skeptic
Contact:

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by Jim Steele » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:44 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote: I almost always post links when I am referring to an outside source..


In contrast here is an example of the forum's dealings with Boobo

Still Waiting!


bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Jimbo: we went over those before. aka: Nothing New.
I don't want to go back to basics with your flip flopping on whether or not co2 is a green house gas.


Yes we have been over this before and it has been proven you are a shameless ugly liar time and time again and you constantly distort what has been said.

Show the quotes and links proving I have ever flipped flopped about Co2 being a greenhouse gas, otherwise you are proving once again you are just an ugly liar who repeats the same bogus crap ad nauseum!

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Your links say the exact opposite of what you say they do.


Show the quotes and links proving "my links contradict my assertions" otherwise you are proving once again you are just an ugly liar

Your never ending string of lies is slander.



posting.php?mode=edit&f=40&p=599287
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 14760
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:31 am

Whats your point Bad Jimbo?

Are YOU now "the forum".........just like you are a scientist???? Hah, hah.

As evidently it has escaped your sharp notice, I don't consider exchanges ad naseum with you "an outside source."

You flip flop when you say the climate is not affected by co2. Simple. You will make a false diversion. Let's see....is this the thread where you post 10 pictures in a row of snow with the direct implication the climate is getting colder and not hotter.................that directly negates co2 being a warming gas.............if you have an attention span past 3 minutes.

THIS thread is about rapid climate change in the Artic with comments that there is rapid change across the East Coast as well and YOU saying everything is the same as it has always been. More Science/Climate/Weather/Fact of the Matter denial. I won't link to this thread. Just man up, and open your eyes.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2787
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: A Proven Scientific Skeptic
Contact:

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by Jim Steele » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:00 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:You flip flop when you say the climate is not affected by co2.


Show the quotes and links proving I have ever flipped flopped about Co2 being a greenhouse gas, or climate is not affected by co2 otherwise you are proving once again you are just an ugly liar who repeats the same bogus crap ad nauseum!
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 14760
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:51 am

Read what is posted just above. Or have an eighth grader explain the answer already given to you just above.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by Nikki Nyx » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:44 pm

Jim Steele wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:
Jim Steele wrote:And weren't you the one asking for links and berating those who don't provide them.
No, that was Bobbo.
Hmmm I guess your memory aint so good


Nikki Nyx wrote:How can we have any kind of meaningful discussion on the issue? Would you please post links to your evidence?
I guess your English 'ain't so good.' This is hardly 'berating.'

Jim Steele wrote:http://www.skepticforum.com/posting.php?mode=quote&f=40&p=587238
Other than trolling, what's the point of starting multiple threads if you're going to continually refer people to other threads?

This week's forecast:
Friday, 12 January...Spring
high/low - 57º/35º (This is a record-setting high that immediately followed a record-setting low.)
2" rain
flood watch

Sunday, 14 January...Winter
high/low - 25º/7º
clear
winter weather advisory

Tuesday - Thursday, 16-18 January...Winter
high/low 33º/15º
7-11" snow
winter weather warning

Sunday, 21 January...Spring
high/low 47º/32º
rain showers

In the past few years, New England has seen its coldest, warmest, snowiest, and least snowiest Winters on record. This is not normal weather for the Pioneer Valley, historically-speaking. But it has become 'normal' within the past ten years. As have the following types of record-setting events, which were rare up until recently...
2018 January - bomb cyclone and record-setting high tides flood coastal NE towns with frigid sea water, ocean freezes in Cape Cod Bay, Nantucket Sound, Buzzards Bay, and inland rivers and lakes that almost never freeze (The brook in my front yard was fully frozen, including inside the culvert under the driveway. This has never happened in the 20 years I've owned my house.)
2017-2018 Winter - record-setting coldest temperatures for 23 December through 5 January
2016 Summer - extreme drought (to the extent that smaller ponds actually dried up)
2015 Winter - record-setting 65" snow for the season, coldest Winter overall on record
2013 February - Winter Storm "Nemo" categorized as NESIS 3 (5 being the worst)
2012 March - record-setting high temperatures
2011 October - 32" snow dubbed "Snowtober"
2011 Summer - tornado outbreak (EF3), record-setting high temperatures, Hurricane Irene, and record-setting flash floods
2008 December - the Great Ice Storm downed trees and left a million people without power
2005 October - massive inland flooding caused by Tropical Storm Tammy in conjunction with a subtropical depression
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2787
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: A Proven Scientific Skeptic
Contact:

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by Jim Steele » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:46 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Read what is posted just above. Or have an eighth grader explain the answer already given to you just above.


ROTFLMAO Boobo's 8th grade logic. Because jIm post pictures of record cold or reports the sings in Massachusetts snow and cold are normal then Jim is flip flopping about tCO2 being a greenhouse gas"

ROTFLMAO that logic is pure genius.

My argument has always been that the earth's sensitivity to the effects of CO2 is small. That most of the changes we are seeing are part of natural variability. To repeat:

Before we can attribute any change to CO2, we must understand the bounds of natural variability.


But Boobo creates his false narrative only to launch more insults and engage in his typical character assassination.

Get a clue Boobo. Showing pictures of record cold simply reveals how powerful that factors contributing to natural variability are. Only someone who doesn't understand science, or who is dishonest, or just prefers to snipe, would ever contort presenting those observations into a "flip flop" about CO2 as a greenhouse gas. :roll: :roll: :roll:
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 14760
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:00 pm

Jim Steele wrote: My argument has always been that the earth's sensitivity to the effects of CO2 is small.

You are quibbling. Your small in effect is nothing.

but more objectively: what is your source for the sensitivity of co2? Evidently, its not the consensus of 97% of qualified scientists, nor the laser measurements, nor the small scale tented acreages......so what is it?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2787
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: A Proven Scientific Skeptic
Contact:

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by Jim Steele » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:29 pm

Nikki you can cherry pick a few records, but it only shows the New England climate is prone to natural extreme swings and does not prove a new normal.

Nikki Nyx wrote:2011 Summer - tornado outbreak (EF3), record-setting high temperatures, Hurricane Irene, and record-setting flash floods


Tornados in Massachusetts are rare but not a sign of climate change. Consider Flint-Worcester tornado outbreak sequence, on June 9, 1953


Nikki Nyx wrote:2018 January - bomb cyclone and record-setting high tides flood coastal NE towns with frigid sea water, ocean freezes in Cape Cod Bay, Nantucket Sound, Buzzards Bay, and inland rivers and lakes that almost never freeze (The brook in my front yard was fully frozen, including inside the culvert under the driveway. This has never happened in the 20 years I've owned my house.)


The New England coast is subsiding as the glacial fore bulge continues to retreat. Subsidence is also due groundwater depletion. Global sea level has risen at a linear rate of about 1.7 mm since 1890, with decades of acceleration and deceleration. No new normal.

A frozen brook, is that your evidence that the climate is getting colder? Saying rivers and lakes "almost never freeze" is the same as saying that sometimes they do as natural variability suggests


Nikki Nyx wrote:2005 October - massive inland flooding caused by Tropical Storm Tammy in conjunction with a subtropical depression


Anyone familiar with New England weather is well aware that records are set in various locations depending on the location of the storm track. Flooding, rain vs snow vs sleet all depend on the storm track that is always shifting. From Wikipedia:

Massachusetts has been hit by many notable tropical cyclones. One of these was the New England Hurricane of 1938. The storm formed near the coast of Africa in September of the 1938 Atlantic hurricane season, becoming a Category 5 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale before making landfall as a Category 3 hurricane [19] on Long Island on September 21. The hurricane killed over 682 people,[20] damaged or destroyed over 57,000 homes, and caused property losses estimated at $4.7 billion (2005 US dollars).[21] In 1951 damaged trees and buildings were still to be seen in the affected areas.[22] The eye of the storm followed the Connecticut River north into Massachusetts, where the winds and flooding killed 99 people.[23] In Springfield, the river rose to 6 to 10 feet (2 to 3 m) above flood stage, causing significant damage. Up to 6 inches (152 mm) of rain fell across western Massachusetts, which combined with over 4 inches (102 mm) that had fallen a few days earlier produced widespread flooding.[23] Residents of Ware were stranded for days, and relied on air-dropped food and medicine.[23] After the flood receded, the town's Main Street was left a chasm in which sewer pipes could be seen. To the east, the surge left Falmouth and New Bedford under 8 feet (2.4 m) of water. Two-thirds of all the boats in New Bedford harbor sank. The Blue Hills Observatory registered sustained winds of 121 mph (195 km/h) and a peak gust of 186 mph (299 km/h).[23]




Nikki Nyx wrote:2011 October - 32" snow dubbed "Snowtober"


Again the amount of snow depends on 1) the storm track and 2) the speed of the storm. Blocking pressure systems cause extremes. The Great Snow of 1717 is considered one of the biggest storms ever but data is sparse. Better data for the the Blizzard of 1888The Blizzard of 1978 was huge and likewise struck during high tide causing massive floodig. To paraphrase The Who, 'Meet the new normal, same as the old normal.'
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2787
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: A Proven Scientific Skeptic
Contact:

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by Jim Steele » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:31 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:You are quibbling. Your small in effect is nothing.


Not at all. I am clearly showing how Boobo distorts every friggin discussion with dishonest psychobabble!
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 14760
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:40 pm

what is your source for the sensitivity of co2?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2787
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: A Proven Scientific Skeptic
Contact:

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by Jim Steele » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:43 pm

There are many sources of sensitivity estimates. Some that offer a estimate via radiative transfer models versus others that provide estimates based on observations, which also vary depending on the region. Some sensitivity estimates are based strictly on models vs others based on observations.

What sensitivity estimates do you want to discuss?
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 14760
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:54 pm

The one you use to say it ain't no thang.

We went around on this a while back.....as with everything else. I note the IPCC charts for warming show different curves/results based on different sensitivity measures.............ALL OF THEM are bad and justify governments taking effective action to combat/regulate the co2 pollution that is going on now. I doubt you have any source at all that justifies a conclusion that co2 is playing a minor role in current climate warming.

Current Climate Warming: do you dispute that as well (all the BS pictures of Snow you vomit out) and put it down to Natural Causes as you do above? Thats a thing about Science Deniers: its like lying........hard to keep track of all the inconsistent arguments/positions you put forth.

............and don't forget those links.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2787
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: A Proven Scientific Skeptic
Contact:

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by Jim Steele » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:59 pm

We can discuss climate sensitivity when you stop with your lame insults and ad hominem attacks
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 14760
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:02 pm

Read your own posts. Mine are just descriptive.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Jim Steele
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2787
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 am
Custom Title: A Proven Scientific Skeptic
Contact:

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by Jim Steele » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:14 am

As reported to the National Weather Service by amateur observers, snowfall in Harvard totaled 6.05 inches, not an unusual amount for a New England winter storm. Worcester reported a record snowfall of 16.8 inches, breaking the city’s previous Jan. 6 record of 9.8 inches set in 1994.

Temperatures were another matter, plunging to negative territory by Sunday morning.

In Worcester, the temperature only reached just 6 above zero Saturday afternoon, tying the previous record for this date set in 1896. Worcester reached a record low of minus 9 degrees on Sunday morning, breaking the old record of minus 5 degrees set on that date in 1942.

http://www.harvardpress.com/News/News-A ... ow-of-2018

The difference in snowfall is typical, due to small variations in storm tracks.

Is Saturday's tied low temperature record an example of natural variability since 1896? Or is the record on Sunday the new normal? It should be noted solar output now has declined to similar levels of 19896.

So what does this tell us about the effects of CO2 in Massachusetts? :D
“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 14760
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Scientists find surprising evidence of rapid changes in the Arctic

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:31 am

It tells us you will cherry pick your data until the sea rises over your head. Silly Hooman.

What is your source for co2 sensitivity?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Post Reply