Have you wondered what's going on in Venezuela?

Where have we been?
bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Have you wondered what's going on in Venezuela?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:57 am

I have.........and finally googled it. A common story: oil rich countries really suffer when the price of oil falls. True of any single activity based economy. Its a blessing and a curse....... which makes what the various Middle East countries are doing right now with their oil wealth very interesting. Who is just spending it, spending it wrongly, vs investing it trying to diversify their economies. Hits and misses all over the place......but as Kind Whoever said: "I was born in a tent and became King of a Rich (Oil Rich) Country, but my Grandchildren will return to the desert."

I think thats true...........and Venezuela... return to a subsidiary of United Fruit????

Its a short read..... no doubt more complex..... "but basically"

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-36319877
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Re: Have you wondered what's going on in Venezuela?

Postby Tom Palven » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:56 am

Whatever is going on in Venezuela, I agree with this USA Today opinion column that US government should stay out of it and not put sanctions on Venezuela or intervene in any way. Let MacDonald's, KY Fried Chicken, US oil interests, and anyone else do business with Venezuelans.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... 549411001/
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:09 pm

Hmmmm.... "must be" more than simple "pressure" caused by falling oil prices. I have no connection to anything Venezuela...although my bucket list does include visiting that Thunderstorm hotspot.

If anyone comes across a link on point, please post it here? Otherwise we just get related and perhaps overblown articles like this one. Troubling if true, and if true....armed revolt cannot be far behind?

"The Economic Collapse In Venezuela Is So Bad That People Are Slaughtering And Eating Zoo Animals"
http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/arch ... oo-animals
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:03 am

Here is Aljazeera commenting on US sanctions on Venezuela.
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/08/v ... 53279.html

Just the fact that Aljazeera is interested in this is interesting; seems like evidence of an interconnected global village.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:18 am

Thanks TP. Does still leave a lot of questions. I don't get Aljazeera on tv anymore. Like Russian TV...I enjoy their coverage of items like this one that are virtually ignored on USA news.

it looks to me like Madura is trying to take over the country at the same time that there is massive inflation and a decrease in gdp due to falling oil prices. Like a perfect storm. Everyone with their slanted positions.

Return to “History”