What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Introduce yourselves here, get to know everyone else. Kick back and relax.
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:28 am

Gord wrote:Did you try lying down in front of the bulldozer, Mr. Dent?

I woke up at noon. I didn't stand a chance against these early-risers.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:43 am

Major Malfunction wrote:
Gord wrote:Did you try lying down in front of the bulldozer, Mr. Dent?

I woke up at noon. I didn't stand a chance against these early-risers.

Ah, saving your energies for a late night of carousing about?

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:53 am

Viruses. Particularly the common cold virus. Gets right up my nose.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:00 pm

Poodle wrote:Viruses. Particularly the common cold virus. Gets right up my nose.

Blow it out yer arse!
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:24 pm

Plunged into darkness – that black, can`t see your hand in front of face type of darkness and accompanied by the sound of a whump, then silence. It took a few moments to feel my way across the room and fumble for the all-powerful flashlight and then a bit longer to feel for the switch and get it powered up. Making my way to the breaker panel – very happy that we put it in a readily accessible location, I found the main tripped. A first, as normally if one is to trip it is a sub – but they were all fine.

So we learned that our air-conditioner, when fully deployed in the `power` heat mode, as it was to provide instant warmth on a cold pre-dawn morning – coupled with a new and all powerful electric kettle, is a no-go on our 60 amp main. Of course we also had a few lights and the TV on, but the kettle was the culprit, this I know.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:49 pm

Just replace the trip switch with a nail.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:55 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:Just replace the trip switch with a nail.

Hey - good idea. I wonder if `super-glue` would prevent the main from tripping.... It might save time looking for a flashlight.... ;)

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:08 pm

A nail is a much more elegant solution.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:06 am

Damn daylight saving switch - fix that!
Hi, Io the lurker.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:33 am

My watch has a Daylight Savings mode. I can go forwards and backwards an hour in time with the press of a button. I can even switch to my favourite global timezone.

Or are you one of those people that can't wear watches?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:45 am

I don't wear watches. They nowadays lie for most of the year. :-P
Hi, Io the lurker.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:49 am

What is a lie if the roses are fresh?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:59 am

I guess it depends if it's petals or stems? :-P
Hi, Io the lurker.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:11 am

You mean stamens. Hehe.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:29 am

Now my watch is only five minutes fast, instead of being an hour and five minutes fast.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:46 am

It's easier to just do the calculation than press those pesky buttons.

My Christmas tree has been up for three years.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:05 am

Damn straight!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: He Who Usually Means Well

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:03 pm

I managed to get through the annoying time change, but right now I'm grinding my teeth at the goddamned climate I live in. It started snowing 24 hours ago, and we had blizzard/whiteout conditions most of the afternoon. This morning, figuring there couldn't be much more, I got up at 5:00 AM and spent two hours shoveling my driveway. (It's only 40 feet long, but it felt like three miles.) I have no idea how much snow we had, but it's still coming down at 9:00 AM and shows no sign of letting up. I'm going to lose this work and have to do it all over again this afternoon. You'd think after 49 of these winters, I'd have learned and moved somewhere else.

Update: I've now spent four hours shoveling snow and heaving it to the side of my driveway. The snowbanks are now higher than my head. According to the weather report, we had 29.5 inches, but more is expected overnight tonight. Aaugh!!
"A general conversion among the boys was once effected by the late excellent Mr. Fletcher: one poor boy only excepted, who unfortunately resisted the influence of the Holy Spirit, for which he was severely flogged; which did not fail of the desired effect, and impressed proper notions of religion on his mind."

James Lackington, Memoirs of the First Forty-five Years of the Life of James Lackington, the Present Bookseller

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:16 pm

There are worse things to shovel than snow.

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:50 pm

Poodle wrote:There are worse things to shovel than snow.

How right you are! Think of what poor Sean Spicer has to shovel.
"A general conversion among the boys was once effected by the late excellent Mr. Fletcher: one poor boy only excepted, who unfortunately resisted the influence of the Holy Spirit, for which he was severely flogged; which did not fail of the desired effect, and impressed proper notions of religion on his mind."

James Lackington, Memoirs of the First Forty-five Years of the Life of James Lackington, the Present Bookseller

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:52 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:A nail is a much more elegant solution.

Back in the old days, we just put a penny in a fuse box. Worked better than a fuse, and none of those annoying interruptions of service.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:32 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:

Back in the old days, we just put a penny in a fuse box. Worked better than a fuse, and none of those annoying interruptions of service.

Wouldn`t want to do that – as it would remove the hilarity of that moment, when I get to accuse the wife of mischief, as after all - she did plug in the kettle. :twisted:

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:49 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:I managed to get through the annoying time change, but right now I'm grinding my teeth at the goddamned climate I live in. It started snowing 24 hours ago, and we had blizzard/whiteout conditions most of the afternoon. This morning, figuring there couldn't be much more, I got up at 5:00 AM and spent two hours shoveling my driveway. (It's only 40 feet long, but it felt like three miles.) I have no idea how much snow we had, but it's still coming down at 9:00 AM and shows no sign of letting up. I'm going to lose this work and have to do it all over again this afternoon. You'd think after 49 of these winters, I'd have learned and moved somewhere else.

Update: I've now spent four hours shoveling snow and heaving it to the side of my driveway. The snowbanks are now higher than my head. According to the weather report, we had 29.5 inches, but more is expected overnight tonight. Aaugh!!

When I was growing up, my father used to be insane about having the sidewalk shovelled. He would send me out in a blizzard to shovel it, despite my protests that it was futile. I would shovel to the end of the sidewalk, and then I would have to shovel my way back to the house. Then he would look out the window and tell me I obviously hadn't shovelled it at all, because it was completely snowed over again.

It was a madhouse, a madhouuuuuse!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFCM6TZgTMI
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:55 am

Shoulda used his lawnmower as a snow blower... :-P
Hi, Io the lurker.

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:26 pm

Gord wrote:[
When I was growing up, my father used to be insane about having the sidewalk shovelled. He would send me out in a blizzard to shovel it, despite my protests that it was futile. I would shovel to the end of the sidewalk, and then I would have to shovel my way back to the house. Then he would look out the window and tell me I obviously hadn't shovelled it at all, because it was completely snowed over again.

There is hardly a more futile job anywhere than shoveling snow. At least, we didn't get any more overnight. This was the second-largest snowstorm here since records were kept. Now my big gripe (I'm a bottomless pit of gripes these days) is with my neighbors who used snow blowers to blow the snow from their driveways across the sidewalks that I need to walk on, creating walls of packed snow 7 feet high and 5 feet thick all the way across the sidewalk.

Where are the lads of yesterday, like yerself, who went out with a shovel to clear sidewalks? If i could hire them for 25 cents an hour, I would do it; it would save me the slightly worn-out feeling I have today. But I gather you had to do it for nothing. Kids used to be slaves.

My parents were always volunteering me to work on occasions when I had some leisure in mind. They believed I had it easy, even though, from age 13 to age 16, I had to get up at 5:00 AM to deliver the newspapers on my route, since my Dad wanted to read the paper before leaving for work at 7:00 AM. (He got to sleep until 6:30.) He was back home by 5:00 PM. I wasn't, because I had to deliver the afternoon papers when school was over at 3:30, and I didn't get home until 5:30. He got to watch television all evening. I had to do homework. I spent my Saturday mornings knocking on doors and begging my customers to pay me the lousy 30 cents for a week's newspapers, 45 cents if they took a Sunday paper. Sundays, it was paper-delivery time again. I paid my bill on Sunday morning, and often wound up owing money to the franchise because I couldn't find enough customers at home. The most I ever made was $15 a week. But my parents were convinced I was spoiled. I've never quite gotten over a feeling of victimization for all that; probably accounts for my lousy disposition now that I'm a geezer and truly have a lot of free time.

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:29 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:

Wouldn`t want to do that – as it would remove the hilarity of that moment, when I get to accuse the wife of mischief, as after all - she did plug in the kettle. :twisted:

Well, yes, that's one of the disadvantages of the penny in a fuse box. The other is those annoying continual invasions of privacy by the Fire Department...

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:11 pm

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:31 pm

Poodle wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

Begging for it!!!!

Hilarious! And realistic (see my self-pitying lament above!)

People love to play this game. Scott Adams had a series of panels once in which one software engineer is saying to another, "We never had any of these sissy icons in the old days. We had to use a command-line interface." The other one comes back with, "Well, we had to write all our programs using only 0s and 1s, and sometimes we didn't even have 1s. I once wrote a whole program using only 0s." To which the reply was, "You had 0s? We had to use the letter O..." And on and on.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:35 pm

The odd thing is that people think it's an invention. I was born in Yorkshire - it's all true. Well, when I say true, I mean that it's typical. Why, when I was a lad there used to be schoolmasters who'd cane you for just looking a bit funny. Not only that, but they'd have you up in front of the headmaster for even suggesting that wearing a skirt was vaguely normal. Eeeeeh - eyeshadow was an offence punishable by not having dinner for a whole fortnight. It's a good job that things are different today.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:41 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Gord wrote:When I was growing up, my father used to be insane about having the sidewalk shovelled. He would send me out in a blizzard to shovel it, despite my protests that it was futile. I would shovel to the end of the sidewalk, and then I would have to shovel my way back to the house. Then he would look out the window and tell me I obviously hadn't shovelled it at all, because it was completely snowed over again.

There is hardly a more futile job anywhere than shoveling snow--

DURING A BLIZZARD! I wouldn't have considered it futile if it hadn't been for the fact that it would fill back in in less than three minutes.

Where are the lads of yesterday, like yerself, who went out with a shovel to clear sidewalks?

We died.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja4chaGOHh8
#ANDAMOVIE

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:33 am

Gord wrote:DURING A BLIZZARD! I wouldn't have considered it futile if it hadn't been for the fact that it would fill back in in less than three minutes.

You're more patient with nature than I am. I consider myself ill-used if more snow comes within one week of the time I've finished shoveling. I think I'm finished griping about this one. The final insult came this morning about six o'clock when the sidewalk plow FINALLY came to do the walk past our house and filled up my side porch with two feet of snow, blocking the door and the vents from the clothes dryer and range top with heavy, packed-down snow like molded plastic. I had a hell of a time freeing them up. That's it, I hope, until next winter. Time to start thinking of ways to complain about the summer heat.

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:36 am

Poodle wrote:The odd thing is that people think it's an invention. I was born in Yorkshire - it's all true. Well, when I say true, I mean that it's typical. Why, when I was a lad there used to be schoolmasters who'd cane you for just looking a bit funny. Not only that, but they'd have you up in front of the headmaster for even suggesting that wearing a skirt was vaguely normal. Eeeeeh - eyeshadow was an offence punishable by not having dinner for a whole fortnight. It's a good job that things are different today.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:38 pm

Youtube iz down this morning! :(
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:27 pm

Probably hacked by Trump....

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:50 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Gord wrote:DURING A BLIZZARD! I wouldn't have considered it futile if it hadn't been for the fact that it would fill back in in less than three minutes.

You're more patient with nature than I am. I consider myself ill-used if more snow comes within one week of the time I've finished shoveling. I think I'm finished griping about this one. The final insult came this morning about six o'clock when the sidewalk plow FINALLY came to do the walk past our house and filled up my side porch with two feet of snow, blocking the door and the vents from the clothes dryer and range top with heavy, packed-down snow like molded plastic. I had a hell of a time freeing them up. That's it, I hope, until next winter. Time to start thinking of ways to complain about the summer heat.

Two feet? You call that a snowbank?

THIS is a snowbank: https://ruralrouteramblings.files.wordp ... ntyard.jpg
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:04 am

...and this is what's parked under it.
Hi, Io the lurker.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:35 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Shoulda used his lawnmower as a snow blower... :-P

Or one of these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNZA7pkOa4M

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:01 pm

Gord wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:

Two feet? You call that a snowbank?

THIS is a snowbank: https://ruralrouteramblings.files.wordp ... ntyard.jpg

I blush! Should have known the Canadians could top that.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:18 pm

Our snowbanks are awesome and our drivers are crap.
#ANDAMOVIE

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:57 pm

I'v dun that.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.