Worst movies you ever saw

Sort of like "The Bookshelf" but for... you get the idea.
ElectricMonk
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Re: Worst movies you ever saw

Postby ElectricMonk » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:36 am

Akira felt pleasantly weird when I watched it when it first came out.

But Ghost in the Shell was much better, even enjoyed the Stand Alone Complex series quite a lot.
"As private parts to the gods are we! They play with us for their sport. "
- Lord Melchett, Blackadder II

Hex
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: mi malam ciuj el vi

Postby Hex » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:06 pm

My love for Akira will never end.

I've seen my share of and movies and I'm seriously not that much of a film critic. I'm willing to let a lot of nonsense go in a movie and just enjoy it for what it is. Which is why some of the best movies I've seen are movies that are so bad they are good.

I guess to qualify as a bad movie, in my book, are movies I've walked out of the theatre before it finished. There are two, the first was The Matrix. Walked out never looked back, absolutely hated that film. The other was The DaVinci Code. Never read the book, didn't want to, those type of books annoy me and to be honest I don't even remember why I went to see the movie.
Spoiler:
  TOYNBEE IDEA
IN KUBRICK'S 2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwoaOJZ7Dfk

Jeffk 1970
Veteran Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:17 pm

I forgot about The Matrix. It also stunk.

"Dark City" was a much better movie.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:10 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:"Dark City" was a much better movie.
Dark City was a good film.

To me, Dark City, had more in common with Momento (2000), the film where the main character doesn't have any past memory, or in some part, Blade Runner's Rachael, the female replicant with artificial memories implanted in her.

I am watching the HBO remake of Westworld. So far, I'm pretty impressed. In the 1973 movie, the robots don't develop character and simply go haywire obeying their character programs. In the remake, the robots wake up fresh each ("day") cycle but are starting remember what happened to them in their previous cycle. They are developing their own personalities. (The series is only up to episode three in Aussieland.)

I would say that the remake of Westworld has lifted some good story ideas from Dark City and is probably worth watching.

Westworld TV Series Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuS5huqOND4

Jeffk 1970
Veteran Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:17 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:To me, Dark City, had more in common with Momento (2000), the film where the main character doesn't have any past memory, or in some part, Blade Runner's Rachael, the female replicant with artificial memories implanted in her.

Memento is another good one. I think "Dark City" is sadly underrated, I recommend it to anyone.

I disliked The Matrix, I couldn't understand why everyone thought it was so good. The sequels are unwatchable, I caught them some years later on HBO and was glad I didn't pay to see them in the theaters.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:24 am

Westworld looks like it coud be another great seriez from HBO, like Battlestar Galactica.
WUT 1 MaN RiTS, U TRILYN MA RED OVR U MILYN SeNCUREZ.
http://www.nooalf.com

Jeffk 1970
Veteran Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:50 am

JO 753 wrote:Maybe the worst movie I ever saw wuz Akira. Lots uv peeps think its a great classic. I dont smoke pot, do shroomz, or drink alkahol.

Its about 10 owrz uv meandering incomplete haf ideaz that assume the viewerz are immortal, so are free to waste their time on anything. (IMDB sez its 2 owrz 4 minits. I think they only saw a commercial for it)

I did see parts uv Dune, but it wuz so bad that after 10 minits I started hitting the FF button and playing a minit or 2 to see if it continued to stink az bad. I dont count that az seeing the movie.

I don't really get anime. I had friend who used to put it after we closed the Blockbuster Video we worked at (yes, I worked at Blockbuster when I was in college. I miss video stores).
I watched some of them, they didn't do anything for me.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:00 pm

I've watched Babel now twice. Incomprehensible to me. Perhaps like "The Dead" I need to turn off all distractions and actually pay attention? Talkies are like that.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

ahhell
Poster

Postby ahhell » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:16 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:I forgot about The Matrix. It also stunk.

"Dark City" was a much better movie.

My favorite movie of all time up until the last 20 minutes, not so much underrated as nobody has ever seen it. Everyone I know who has seen it, loves it. Also, one of the few movies made better by the Director's Cut. The theatrical release with the voice over that spoils the plot in the first 10 minutes, WTF? Starting a mystery with, "the butler did it!"

Tree of life would have been great with a voice over by David Attenborough but as a work of fiction, it sucked.
M Knight Shamylan's "The Village", the twist was obvious and it felt like watching a high school play.
"Sin City" the sequel, look good but not ground breaking like the first one with the clunky dialogue and thin plot of the first.
"Starship Troopers" is crap, ham fisted satire at best.
"Equilibrium", bad mostly because it just makes a cliche ridden collage of every pre-existing dystopian story.

ElectricMonk wrote:Snowpiercer

Super-boring, predictable, one-dimensional wannabe moral waste of money and actor's time.
Not on my list of worst but I just don't get why critics liked this one. Your assessment is largely correct and it not something like "Tree of Life" where you just know the critics are gonna love it, Snow Piercer is just a sci-fi action movie. I feel the same about "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" a better than average Kung-Fu movie that critics loved for some reason. Except Snowpiercer isn't better than average.

Saying you don't get anime is a bit like saying you don't get film. Its not really a genre anymore than animation is a genre. Some is good a lot is bad, much like the output from Hollywood. It may be you lack some of the culture context to really get Japanese art of course.

Jeffk 1970
Veteran Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:06 pm

ahhell wrote:"Starship Troopers" is crap, ham fisted satire at best.

I actually liked it. For me it was pure entertainment, I go to movies to be entertained and it did the trick.

ahhell wrote:Saying you don't get anime is a bit like saying you don't get film. Its not really a genre anymore than animation is a genre. Some is good a lot is bad, much like the output from Hollywood. It may be you lack some of the culture context to really get Japanese art of course.

Perhaps a better choice of words was to say I don't like it. I never found it all that interesting. I know a lot of people do. It's a matter of taste.

BaaBaa

Postby BaaBaa » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:55 am

This movie insulted my intelligence fractally
"Now You See Me 2"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3110958/

Nobrot
Poster

Postby Nobrot » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:42 pm

The Gray. Liam Neeson and a whole bunch people I've never herd of crash in Alaska. The first rule of survival in such circumstances is 'Never Leave The Scene'! People will have a reasonable idea where you went down and will come looking for you.
They have the wreckage of the plane with large sections of the fuselage to hide in i.e., a metal cave, and all sorts of bits and pieces they can use to help them survive. What do they do? They set out over open snow covered ground, wolves everywhere with nasty long sharp pointy teeth.

In one of the early scenes some {!#%@} pointed out a problem with burning the cabins foam seats, they give off poisonous gasses. That's correct, they also give off clouds of black smoke for the rescue bods to spot.
I'm glad they all died.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:35 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:

I actually liked it. For me it was pure entertainment, I go to movies to be entertained and it did the trick.

ahhell wrote:Saying you don't get anime is a bit like saying you don't get film. Its not really a genre anymore than animation is a genre. Some is good a lot is bad, much like the output from Hollywood. It may be you lack some of the culture context to really get Japanese art of course.

Perhaps a better choice of words was to say I don't like it. I never found it all that interesting. I know a lot of people do. It's a matter of taste.

If you've read the book that piece of crap movie is simply stupid. Make a space 7th Cavalry if you want, but don't call it a Heinlein book.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:36 pm

And for you purists, "The Lost Skeleton of Cavadra."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdPWcEVFpzc

Jeffk 1970
Veteran Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:50 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:

If you've read the book that piece of crap movie is simply stupid. Make a space 7th Cavalry if you want, but don't call it a Heinlein book.

I doubt I'll ever read the book. I really don't read Sci-Fi or fantasy anymore, though I'm still waiting for George RR Martin to finish his "Song of Ice and Fire Series."

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:39 pm

Too bad, it's an interesting study of one possible societal structure.

ahhell
Poster

Postby ahhell » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:59 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Too bad, it's an interesting study of one possible societal structure.
Made even more fascinating by reading a Stranger in a Strange Land. Heinlein stopped writing Stranger to write SSTs then finished Stranger. The apparent philosophy of each book could not be more different.

Edit to add:
Starship Troopers is also really short and written for a young audience. Its a quick read.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:31 pm

ahhell wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Too bad, it's an interesting study of one possible societal structure.
Made even more fascinating by reading a Stranger in a Strange Land. Heinlein stopped writing Stranger to write SSTs then finished Stranger. The apparent philosophy of each book could not be more different.

Edit to add:
Starship Troopers is also really short and written for a young audience. Its a quick read.

I was fourteen when I read it. Lead indirectly to me swing a pair of .50s on some dirty brown water.

Jeffk 1970
Veteran Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:37 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
ahhell wrote:

Edit to add:

I was fourteen when I read it. Lead indirectly to me swing a pair of .50s on some dirty brown water.

If it's a short read I might try and work it in. My goal this year is to finally finish all the books I have laying around along with the mountain of PDF's I've downloaded.

ElectricMonk
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:47 pm

not that short ...
"As private parts to the gods are we! They play with us for their sport. "
- Lord Melchett, Blackadder II

Jeffk 1970
Veteran Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:47 pm

6) Alien 3-A vast disappointment compared to the first two movies, various treatments I've seen on-line make me mourn what might have been.

I've changed my mind on this one. Since I made my list I went back and watched the Director's Cut. A much better movie with what was cut added back in (generally the case).

I'd like to replace it with Suicide Squad. Blech. And I watched the Director's Cut, it still didn't make any {!#%@} sense.

Jared Leto sucked as the Joker.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:52 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:I was fourteen when I read it. Lead indirectly to me swing a pair of .50s on some dirty brown water.

Now that soundz like a story! Tell us!
WUT 1 MaN RiTS, U TRILYN MA RED OVR U MILYN SeNCUREZ.
http://www.nooalf.com

Nobrot
Poster

Postby Nobrot » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:53 pm

While not really in the spirit of the thread title, just how bad is Blade Runner 2049 going to be?

Will it be:
(A. Shite.
Or
(B. Shite.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1856101/

Bear in mind Harrison Ford in Enders Game. Also shite.

Please advise soonest.

Jeffk 1970
Veteran Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:22 pm

I'm going to sound like a heathen but I never liked the first Blade Runner. I'm not saying it was horrible, it just didn't do anything for me.

Nobrot
Poster

Postby Nobrot » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:44 pm

Please die.

Jeffk 1970
Veteran Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:02 pm

Nobrot wrote:Please die.

Sorry, no can do.
If it helps I liked Rutger Hauer.

:D

Nobrot
Poster

Postby Nobrot » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:26 pm

I bought one of those jackets it was about £170. Unfortunately, I'm not quite as gorgeous, nor quite as tall as Rutger Hauer and I could overhear mom's telling their kids to stay away from men like me. Sad times.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:42 pm

JO 753 wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:I was fourteen when I read it. Lead indirectly to me swing a pair of .50s on some dirty brown water.

Now that soundz like a story! Tell us!

A new kid at my high school noticed I was reading SST and said his father loved that book. We got to talking and he invited me to his house. Short story: His father as a highly decorated Marine, retired with one leg somewhere on the other side of the planet. He took a shine to me and taught me to shoot. After four years of working with him I was ... not bad ... When I enlisted the Navy took note and gave me guns and ammo, as much as I could use.

ahhell
Poster

Postby ahhell » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:52 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Nobrot wrote:Please die.

Sorry, no can do.
If it helps I liked Rutger Hauer.

:D
Really underrated if you ask me. Didn't help his career that he ended up doing a lot of forgettable and not so forgettable fantasy films.
Blood of Heroes was a much better film than pretty much any other post apoclyptic movies other than Mad Max 2, buy I'm probably the only person who's seen it. But that really belongs in a movies that were much better than you would expect thread.

Jeffk 1970
Veteran Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:37 pm

I agree. Rutger Hauer is an underrated actor.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:54 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:I agree. Rutger Hauer is an underrated actor.

They should have made more of him.

ahhell
Poster

Postby ahhell » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:31 pm

Bad movies:
Bad Girls, western with largely female cast, terrible and cliche'd
Quick and the Dead(1995) also a western, may have been satire which I didn't get, thus it sucked.
Starship Troopers, terrible ham fisted satire
M knight Shamylan's the Village, high school play on the big screen with an obvious twist.
The Tree of Life, would've been a great documentary about the beginning of the Universe and solar system instead it was long winded snore fest.
All woody allen comedies, Nebbishing new york jew* somehow gets involved in a fish out of water situation with a really hot love interest. This was funny once. *Note, that really just means, "Woody Allen" or an ersatz woody allen in later films. Funny how he always cast himself opposite a really hot chick. His more dramatic films are all quite good though.
The transformer movies
The GI sequel, the first wasn't great but the second was terrible.
Cloverfield, stupid people acting stupidly in often unrealistic ways.
Avatar wasn't bad but it wasn't nearly as good as people think

ETA:

Antichrist, One review I read suggested the directed/writer made it to deliberately antagonize/offend/disgust the audience.
Last edited by ahhell on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffk 1970
Veteran Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:39 pm

I agree with you on Woody Allen, my dad thought he was hysterical but once you've seen one of his movies that's pretty much the plot for all.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:42 pm

ahhell wrote:Starship Troopers, terrible ham fisted satire

Not even close to being a satire. The director claimed that was what he intended ex post facto, hoping to cover his ass even a wee bit.

ahhell
Poster

Postby ahhell » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:25 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

Not even close to being a satire. The director claimed that was what he intended ex post facto, hoping to cover his ass even a wee bit.
I used to think that Paul Verhoevan specialized in making bad movies then claiming that they were satire after the fact as well. I've come to believe he's just a bad satirist, he means to make fun of stuff he doesn't understand and thus fails to make good movies or good satire.

The thing about the book, it has fans and then it has a lot of people that think its an endorsement of FASCISM. Paul Verhoevan is in the group that think its an endorsement of FASCism, its basically impossible to satirize something you don't understand, which is why SST the film sucks so badly.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:29 pm

ahhell wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

I used to think that Paul Verhoevan specialized in making bad movies then claiming that they were satire after the fact as well. I've come to believe he's just a bad satirist, he means to make fun of stuff he doesn't understand and thus fails to make good movies or good satire.

The thing about the book, it has fans and then it has a lot of people that think its an endorsement of FASCISM. Paul Verhoevan is in the group that think its an endorsement of FASCism, its basically impossible to satirize something you don't understand, which is why SST the film sucks so badly.

He didn't read the book, so he'd have had a tough time doing an accurate satire.

As for "FASCISM", those people haven't read the book or have read the book to find support for the FASCISM theory. "Service brings citizenship!"

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:32 pm

I liked it. I realize it's not a good movie, but it's still very entertaining.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Jeffk 1970
Veteran Poster

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:34 pm

Monster wrote:

I liked it. I realize it's not a good movie, but it's still very entertaining.

That's how I feel about it.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:14 pm

The original trailer started with a wave of bugs coming at a strong point. I immediately turned to my wife and said "Starship Troopers!" They lied.

OlegTheBatty
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:35 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:I agree with you on Woody Allen, my dad thought he was hysterical but once you've seen one of his movies that's pretty much the plot for all.

. . . and the jokes.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Return to “Film/Theater/TV/Video/Radio/Podcasts”