FREEING THE WORLD TO DEATH by William Blum

Read any good books lately?
Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4310
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

FREEING THE WORLD TO DEATH by William Blum

Postby Tom Palven » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:15 pm

This book was recommended by Norma Blum in another thread about William Blum's book Killing Hope.

Killing Hope, first printed in 1995, is a much larger and more comprehensive and scholarly work that this, but Freeing the World to Death, 2005, is just as powerful in presenting its premise- that US foreign policy is not, and hasn't ever been, what most Americans think it's cracked up to be.

From the introduction:

There's a story about Mae West showing her luxurious home to someone who said "My goodness, what a gorgeous home you have," and West replied "Goodness has nothing to do with it."

Which is what I try to make people understand about American foreign policy. The greatest myth concerning those policies, the conviction that most often makes it a formidable task for people like myself to get Americans to accept certain ideas, is the deeply-held belief that no matter what the United States does abroad, no matter how bad it may look, no matter what horror may result, the American government means well. American leaders may make mistakes, they may blunder, they may even on the odd occasion cause more harm than good, but they do mean well. Their intentions are always honorable. Of that Americans are certain. They genuinely wonder why the rest of the world can't see how generous and self-sacrificing America has been. Even many people in who take part in the anti-war movement have a hard time shaking off some of this mindset; they think, or would like to think, that government just needs to be prodded back to its normal benevolent self.


Then, William Blum lays out the irrefutable facts.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4310
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: FREEING THE WORLD TO DEATH by William Blum

Postby Tom Palven » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:42 am

If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 6K Posts
Posts: 6799
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: FREEING THE WORLD TO DEATH by William Blum

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:56 am

This is exactly what I thought of when I heard reported on tv a few hours ago a report on a Marine grunt talking about his unit busting into a house to look for suspected Taliban and saying that they explained to the family why they were there and the family thanked them for providing the city with safety.

Ok now...........raise your hand................ who believes THAT BS?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4310
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: FREEING THE WORLD TO DEATH by William Blum

Postby Tom Palven » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:45 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:This is exactly what I thought of when I heard reported on tv a few hours ago a report on a Marine grunt talking about his unit busting into a house to look for suspected Taliban and saying that they explained to the family why they were there and the family thanked them for providing the city with safety.

Ok now...........raise your hand................ who believes THAT BS?


What, me skeptical? :mrgreen:
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

User avatar
OutOfBreath
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1954
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:38 pm
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer
Location: Norway

Re: FREEING THE WORLD TO DEATH by William Blum

Postby OutOfBreath » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:02 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:This is exactly what I thought of when I heard reported on tv a few hours ago a report on a Marine grunt talking about his unit busting into a house to look for suspected Taliban and saying that they explained to the family why they were there and the family thanked them for providing the city with safety.

Ok now...........raise your hand................ who believes THAT BS?

Well that would depend on the alternative "providers of order" and who this person they busted into is as regards contacts etc. It could also be politeness in the face of guns.

The opposite fallacy of "america is always right" is of course "america is always wrong". But I agree that the global military hegemony with the trade routes that go with it is a potent motivator for where america cares and where they dont. Just like everyone else, frankly.

Peace
Dan
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 6K Posts
Posts: 6799
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: FREEING THE WORLD TO DEATH by William Blum

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:18 pm

So---OOB==>do you "believe" the family was grateful, or not?? (((Of note: it almost doesn't matter as true or not the "news piece" was still propaganda........ and not everyone else does it, if it has anything to do at all with foreign troops invading private homes (without a warrant?====>>>>bwhahahahah!!)))
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9776
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: FREEING THE WORLD TO DEATH by William Blum

Postby OlegTheBatty » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:41 pm

People tend to believe testimonials even in the face of overwhelming statistical data to the contrary. In a large population, there is almost a certainty that you can find people adhering to a particular position. Whether or not the testimonial is true is irrelevant. If you look hard enough, you will find someone.

What matters is what most people think of the invasion, and you won't learn that from the invaders.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
OutOfBreath
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1954
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:38 pm
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer
Location: Norway

Re: FREEING THE WORLD TO DEATH by William Blum

Postby OutOfBreath » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:26 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:So---OOB==>do you "believe" the family was grateful, or not?? (((Of note: it almost doesn't matter as true or not the "news piece" was still propaganda........ and not everyone else does it, if it has anything to do at all with foreign troops invading private homes (without a warrant?====>>>>bwhahahahah!!)))

As Oleg also noted, it is entirely possible that this particular household would rather see american troops in charge of local security. You will always find someone with whatever opinion in a big country.

Things are usually complicated. Like in Syria where the best bet for minorities and women is that Assad wins, since he has succeeded in islamizing the opposition groups by heavily pummeling the secular opposition and leaving IS alone for years. I bet a large portion of syrians would welcome an international peace keeping force, but since that's not realistic, have to choose between the murderous but secular strongman or islamist nutter rebels.

Peace
Dan
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4310
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: FREEING THE WORLD TO DEATH by William Blum

Postby Tom Palven » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:35 am

I posted this link from Debbie Lusignan, The Sane Progressive, before, but I don't think that any of you guys read it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEXXIHlVnZY

She was a very strong Bernie Sanders supporter, one of your people, and while I disagree with her about the ethics and efficacy of socialist economics, I think that she is spot-on about US war-mongering and the power behind the throne in the US.

This a long rant that starts off slowly, but I urge you to sit down with a bottle of wine and watch the whole thing, and see the dots she connects about what's going on in the US. This isn't about conspiracy, just sociopathic imperialist foreign policy as usual brought up to date.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

User avatar
Angel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1501
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:23 pm
Custom Title: LOVE

Re: FREEING THE WORLD TO DEATH by William Blum

Postby Angel » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:14 pm

Tom Palven wrote:This book was recommended by Norma Blum in another thread about William Blum's book Killing Hope.

Killing Hope, first printed in 1995, is a much larger and more comprehensive and scholarly work that this, but Freeing the World to Death, 2005, is just as powerful in presenting its premise- that US foreign policy is not, and hasn't ever been, what most Americans think it's cracked up to be.

From the introduction:

There's a story about Mae West showing her luxurious home to someone who said "My goodness, what a gorgeous home you have," and West replied "Goodness has nothing to do with it."

Which is what I try to make people understand about American foreign policy. The greatest myth concerning those policies, the conviction that most often makes it a formidable task for people like myself to get Americans to accept certain ideas, is the deeply-held belief that no matter what the United States does abroad, no matter how bad it may look, no matter what horror may result, the American government means well. American leaders may make mistakes, they may blunder, they may even on the odd occasion cause more harm than good, but they do mean well. Their intentions are always honorable. Of that Americans are certain. They genuinely wonder why the rest of the world can't see how generous and self-sacrificing America has been. Even many people in who take part in the anti-war movement have a hard time shaking off some of this mindset; they think, or would like to think, that government just needs to be prodded back to its normal benevolent self.


Then, William Blum lays out the irrefutable facts.


If u presented that to the average joe ~
they would probably say ~ that's what they
say about the babysitters on American Horror
Story. It's hard to be prepared when you
don't know the future because they haven't
created it yet .
*~ •~*~•~*~•~*~•~*~•~*~•~*~•~*
Gospel = good news

At birth u r given a note and a song.
The letters raised make notes.
These notes make sounds .
Look at the bible flat open ~
can u see the letters/notes rising?

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4310
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: FREEING THE WORLD TO DEATH by William Blum

Postby Tom Palven » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:36 pm

Angel wrote:
Tom Palven wrote:This book was recommended by Norma Blum in another thread about William Blum's book Killing Hope.

Killing Hope, first printed in 1995, is a much larger and more comprehensive and scholarly work that this, but Freeing the World to Death, 2005, is just as powerful in presenting its premise- that US foreign policy is not, and hasn't ever been, what most Americans think it's cracked up to be.

From the introduction:

There's a story about Mae West showing her luxurious home to someone who said "My goodness, what a gorgeous home you have," and West replied "Goodness has nothing to do with it."

Which is what I try to make people understand about American foreign policy. The greatest myth concerning those policies, the conviction that most often makes it a formidable task for people like myself to get Americans to accept certain ideas, is the deeply-held belief that no matter what the United States does abroad, no matter how bad it may look, no matter what horror may result, the American government means well. American leaders may make mistakes, they may blunder, they may even on the odd occasion cause more harm than good, but they do mean well. Their intentions are always honorable. Of that Americans are certain. They genuinely wonder why the rest of the world can't see how generous and self-sacrificing America has been. Even many people in who take part in the anti-war movement have a hard time shaking off some of this mindset; they think, or would like to think, that government just needs to be prodded back to its normal benevolent self.


Then, William Blum lays out the irrefutable facts.


If u presented that to the average joe ~
they would probably say ~ that's what they
say about the babysitters on American Horror
Story. It's hard to be prepared when you
don't know the future because they haven't
created it yet .


Okay, but how about this Debbie Lusignan you tube video? It starts slow and it's long, but watch it all the way through! Please!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEXXIHlVnZY
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

User avatar
Angel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1501
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:23 pm
Custom Title: LOVE

Re: FREEING THE WORLD TO DEATH by William Blum

Postby Angel » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:44 pm

Tom Palven wrote:
Angel wrote:
Tom Palven wrote:This book was recommended by Norma Blum in another thread about William Blum's book Killing Hope.

Killing Hope, first printed in 1995, is a much larger and more comprehensive and scholarly work that this, but Freeing the World to Death, 2005, is just as powerful in presenting its premise- that US foreign policy is not, and hasn't ever been, what most Americans think it's cracked up to be.

From the introduction:

There's a story about Mae West showing her luxurious home to someone who said "My goodness, what a gorgeous home you have," and West replied "Goodness has nothing to do with it."

Which is what I try to make people understand about American foreign policy. The greatest myth concerning those policies, the conviction that most often makes it a formidable task for people like myself to get Americans to accept certain ideas, is the deeply-held belief that no matter what the United States does abroad, no matter how bad it may look, no matter what horror may result, the American government means well. American leaders may make mistakes, they may blunder, they may even on the odd occasion cause more harm than good, but they do mean well. Their intentions are always honorable. Of that Americans are certain. They genuinely wonder why the rest of the world can't see how generous and self-sacrificing America has been. Even many people in who take part in the anti-war movement have a hard time shaking off some of this mindset; they think, or would like to think, that government just needs to be prodded back to its normal benevolent self.


Then, William Blum lays out the irrefutable facts.


If u presented that to the average joe ~
they would probably say ~ that's what they
say about the babysitters on American Horror
Story. It's hard to be prepared when you
don't know the future because they haven't
created it yet .


Okay, but how about this Debbie Lusignan you tube video? It starts slow and it's long, but watch it all the way through! Please!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEXXIHlVnZY


Sorry ~ I tried then realized I have no
interest in politics as it is just another
broken pattern that will get fixed when
it realizes it is broken. Spy games are not
for children. ;-)
*~ •~*~•~*~•~*~•~*~•~*~•~*~•~*
Gospel = good news

At birth u r given a note and a song.
The letters raised make notes.
These notes make sounds .
Look at the bible flat open ~
can u see the letters/notes rising?

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4310
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: FREEING THE WORLD TO DEATH by William Blum

Postby Tom Palven » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:15 pm

Sec. of State nominee Rex Tillerson knows how to sing the right tune.

This horse crap should guarantee his approval by the war-mongering US Senate.
http://news.antiwar.com/2017/01/11/till ... ss-to-so...

Well done, Rex!
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire


Return to “The Bookshelf”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests