Pope declares 'zero tolerance' for sexual abuse in Catholic church

Ways and means of promoting skepticism
Nobrot
Poster

Pope declares 'zero tolerance' for sexual abuse in Catholic church

Postby Nobrot » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:06 am

How very noble.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/03/pope-declares-zero-tolerance-for-sexual-abuse-in-catholic-church 

A question for pope Frankie: Where is Cardinal Pell?

Edit:
"I would like us to renew our complete commitment to ensuring that these atrocities [highlight=yellow]will no longer take place in our midst"

Clearly I'm unfamiliar with this sites hideously complicate formatting malarkey, but I'm following that guardian article like flies on a resurrected haddock.
Now cop for this:

"The church recognises the sins of some of her members: the sufferings, the experiences and the pain of minors who were abused sexually by priests. It is a sin that shames us,” Francis wrote in the letter.
Last edited by Nobrot on Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Re: Pope declares 'zero tolerance' for sexual abuse in Catholic church

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:23 am

So they will tell them to get a room now?
Hi, Io the lurker.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:28 am

Nobrot wrote:...Clearly I'm unfamiliar with this sites hideously complicate formatting malarkey...

If hovering over the buttons in the editor doesn't cut it, some additional help can also be found here. Or simply ask. :-D
Hi, Io the lurker.

Nobrot
Poster

Postby Nobrot » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:37 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Nobrot wrote:...Clearly I'm unfamiliar with this sites hideously complicate formatting malarkey...

If hovering over the buttons in the editor doesn't cut it, some additional help can also be found here. Or simply ask. :-D

How do I quote a quote? :(

Nobrot
Poster

Postby Nobrot » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:44 am

scrmbldggs wrote:

I know it's easy but I'm chemist and can't find it; just like pope Frankie can't find Cardinal Pell.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:45 am

Nobrot wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:

Use the quotation button in the upper right corner of any post. Or use the fourth button from the left in the editor (copy paste text, or you can also simply write the brackets yourself. But quoting a handle needs to be like [quote="handle"]) If you hover over the others, you can see what they do. The x (delete post) only appears in your own post if it's the last one in a topic.
Last edited by scrmbldggs on Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, Io the lurker.

Nobrot
Poster

Postby Nobrot » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:48 am

Anne Barrett-Doyle, founder of the US-based research and monitoring group BishopAccountablity.org, said in an email that the pope’s words were shite. (sic)

Nobrot
Poster

Postby Nobrot » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:59 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Nobrot wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:

Use the quotation button in the upper right corner of any post. Or use the fourth button from the left in the editor (copy paste text, or you can also simply write the brackets yourself. But quoting a handle needs to be like
handle wrote:) If you hover over the others, you can see what they do. The x (delete post) only appears in your own post if it's the last one in a topic.

Ah. Those buttons. :oops:

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:28 am

It took some practice, but now I love
Same Gord wrote:nesting my quotes
Still the Same Gord wrote:within other quotes.

Usually I do what scrambledeggs did and just manually type the word "quote" (or 'quote="One More Gord"') in the [] boxes. No buttons required that way.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:14 am

phpBB is one of the most common forum softwares on the 'Net.

The fun comes when Pyrrho decided to see if you will or will not let inanimate objects outwit you.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:02 pm

Gord wrote:It took some practice, but now I love
Same Gord wrote:nesting my quotes
Still the Same Gord wrote:within other quotes.

Usually I do what scrambledeggs did and just manually type the word "quote" (or 'quote="One More Gord"') in the [] boxes. No buttons required that way.

A less Gordlike Gord wrote:Anybody can do it.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Abdul Alhazred
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Yes that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:47 am

A reversal of direction.

I sure hope he means it.
Scientists don't know everything, therefore my favorite flavor of stoopidz is true.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:00 am

It all springs from their anti-female position that is NOT supported by the Bible at all which springs from wanting to spend as little money as possible on the hired help.

Its always the money.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:54 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:It all springs from their anti-female position that is NOT supported by the Bible at all which springs from wanting to spend as little money as possible on the hired help.

Its always the money.

The lawsuits are getting too expensive.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:04 pm

Nobrot wrote:... I'm chemist ...

It's a long time since I last heard that expression.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:07 pm

Ummmm..... of course..... the Bible IS anti-female. Just not on the point the Catholics take that they can't be part of the controlling hierarchy.

Pros and Cons. Exclude women..... and you are going to get Homos. Its a fact: look it up.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: O_I_Lovett

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:32 pm

Great question, Nobrot, about Cardinal Pell.

I'm more interested in Cardinal Law-unto-himself, who continues to get nice meals served to him in the Vatican, when he ought to be eating off a tin tray in a Massachusetts prison. But I don't blame the Pope. He probably can't legally kick the guy out. One of the anomalies of having a religion coterminus with a secular state is that one can have it both ways. On the one hand, we are a state and expect to be invited to diplomatic events and receive ambassadors. On the other hand, we are a religion, and you can't expect us to enter into degrading secular affairs such as extradition treaties.

Within what Garry Will calls the Vatican's structures of deceit, Pope Francis is doing his level best. They have come a long way, and will no longer seek to shield priests from the secular arm when they are accused of crimes. And at least they have now decided that capital punishment is unchristian. (When I was being instructed in the catechism, long, long ago, when the mass was still in Latin, that was one of the loopholes in the Fifth Commandment: the state had the right to kill criminals. I'm glad they've moved on. Not that this will bring me back, but we've all got to get along with one another in this world, and that helps.)
"A general conversion among the boys was once effected by the late excellent Mr. Fletcher: one poor boy only excepted, who unfortunately resisted the influence of the Holy Spirit, for which he was severely flogged; which did not fail of the desired effect, and impressed proper notions of religion on his mind."

James Lackington, Memoirs of the First Forty-five Years of the Life of James Lackington, the Present Bookseller

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:12 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:coterminus

#notaeuphemism
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:56 pm

Nope, a typo. Should have been "coterminous" (as a lapsed Catholic, I just can't free myself of Latin spellings!)
"A general conversion among the boys was once effected by the late excellent Mr. Fletcher: one poor boy only excepted, who unfortunately resisted the influence of the Holy Spirit, for which he was severely flogged; which did not fail of the desired effect, and impressed proper notions of religion on his mind."

James Lackington, Memoirs of the First Forty-five Years of the Life of James Lackington, the Present Bookseller

Nobrot
Poster

Postby Nobrot » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:54 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:Nope, a typo. Should have been "coterminous" (as a lapsed Catholic, I just can't free myself of Latin spellings!)

Thanks for correcting the new word I learned. :)
Aye it's a rum do all right, this progressive new pope is harbouring two of the biggest bastards to ever walk the earth. Is this the same pope who performs exorcisms? Dragging the catholic church forward to the sixteenth century.

And welcome to the forums.

I'm sure this has been posted before but it's still a beaut.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtHOmforqxk

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:04 am

Tim Minchin is wonderful.
#ANDAMOVIE

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:34 pm

Nice video. Thanks, Nobrot. I'm sending the link to my son, who will appreciate it.

Return to “Skeptical Activism”