50% wrong!

A skeptical look at medical practices
Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

50% wrong!

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:39 am

Reference :New Scientist 27 August 2016, page 35

The British Medical Journal published the results of a critical look at 3,000 common medical practices, and found that 50% were categorised as having effectiveness that is unknown, harmful, or just plain ineffective. New Scientist listed ten examples.

1. Hormone replacement therapy for menopause. Increases cancer, heart disease, and strokes.

2. Peanut avoidance. Wrong. Children at an early age should be exposed to peanuts to reduce the risk of allergy developing. For many years, the opposite was recommended by doctors.

3. Keyhole surgery for osteoarthritis of the knee. No better than placebo.

4. Routine cancer screening, such as the PSA test for prostate cancer. Too many false positives, and needless surgery.

5. Heart stents in healthy people. Does not reduce risk of heart disease, and may cause harm.

6. Vertebroplasty. Cement to strengthen a fractured vertebra. No better than placebo.

7. Diet and drugs to drastically lower blood sugar for type II diabetes. This can kill. Sugar reduction should only be to the level shown by healthy people.

8. Pre implantation genetic testing of embryos for IVF in older patients. Actually reduces pregnancy success.

9. Lowering body temperature in aneurysm surgery. Does not help and increases risk of infection.

10. Ear tube surgery in children. Mostly does more harm than good.

There is a clear need for more skepticism among doctors. If only 50% of medical procedures are proven to be of value, that is not good enough. Only strong, empirical studies should be accepted. Just because something SHOULD work in theory is not good enough.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 7K Posts

Re: 50% wrong!

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:43 pm

After 30 years, I just last week visited a doc for help with a number of issues. High Blood Cholesterol which I have had my entire life becomes more problematic as you age. Still, last visit I got an order for some statins to lower the LDL and I did some research at the time and noted that the likely side effects were serious and in my mind not worth the risk absent a "real" consequence of LDL...and at THAT time, the literature had conflicting evidence regarding what came first...lesions in the blood vessels or LDL==>ie that LDL could be protecting the vessel walls.

Well, blood tests showed my LDL is still high so the doc is ordering some statins for me. I plan to now use the Internet to do a more exhaustive pro/con analysis of LDL versus the Medications. I'm hoping the issue(s) have been clarified?

I'll check out the Journal on line or at the library to see if they have any statements on point. For some reason, I'd rather die of natural causes than reactions to medication that may or may not have done any good to begin with?

Medicine and the hooman body. So many errors.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:37 pm

That sounds like a rational approach to me, Bobbo. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater, but do your own research. As far as I can tell, the use of statins to lower LDL is a net benefit. But I will be interested in your findings.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Wild animal

Postby Gord » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:28 pm

You could always try the non-medicinal approach: Quit smoking, lose a little weight, eat a low-carb diet, get a little more exercise, and find a way to reduce the amount of stress in your life. May I suggest singing? It seems to have some health benefits, and may increase your overall happiness and improve your overall sense of well-being: http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/i ... happy1.htm

Singing can have some of the same effects as exercise, like the release of endorphins, which give the singer an overall "lifted" feeling and are associated with stress reduction

Me, I like singing Christmas carols. Most people don't appreciate hearing them unless it's around Christmas, though. And even then, they get annoyed after the first five minutes or so....
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:19 pm

Gord

If I try singing, it will be very harmful to my health. Because the people who hear me will lynch me.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:38 pm

Do it in the shower. Then they'll get wet.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:54 am

if I said this stuff about medical practices everybody here would say :-/
for the real minority ; there will be no justice , there will be no peace .
makes sense 2me , so it has 2be wrong .

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:06 pm

psychiatry is a scam wrote:if I said this stuff about medical practices everybody here would say :-/

1. I don't think "everybody" would say ":-/".
2. Would you really cite New Scientist? ;)
#ANDAMOVIE

TJrandom
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:19 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:... 6. Vertebroplasty. Cement to strengthen a fractured vertebra. No better than placebo. ...

No better than a placebo? I doubt this - unless people usually die immediately after vertebroplasty. A good friend fell and broke several neck vertebra, and I seriously doubt a placebo would have kept him alive for more than a day or so. But he is finally home, after vertebroplasty and about six months hospitalisation. Of course maybe he is truly the exception - or possibly vertebroplasty is being used for non-critical injuries.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Vertebroplasty

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:52 am

Vertebroplasty

I have never heard about Vertebroplasty before. At first glance it sort of makes sense, (which means nothing in the real world)

"Vertebroplasty is an outpatient procedure for stabilizing compression fractures in the spine. Bone cement is injected into back bones (vertebrae) that have cracked or broken, often because of osteoporosis. The cement hardens, stabilizing the fractures and supporting your spine"

In general, what's wrong with Vertebroplasty?

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:25 am

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthli ... ty_135,37/

I am definitely not an expert in this field. I merely quote what others, more expert than I, are saying. The reference above casts a bit of doubt on vertebroplasty, suggesting it may not be better than other things such as bed rest. This reference is from a very reputable source.

TJrandom
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:27 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthlibrary/test_procedures/orthopaedic/vertebroplasty_135,37/

I am definitely not an expert in this field. I merely quote what others, more expert than I, are saying. The reference above casts a bit of doubt on vertebroplasty, suggesting it may not be better than other things such as bed rest. This reference is from a very reputable source.

I can see that - for a fracture where the pieces are where they belong and are thus probably going to heal in place....

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:42 pm

Also the British Medical Journal: http://www.bmj.com/content/343/bmj.d3952

Conclusions Individual patient data meta-analysis from two blinded trials of vertebroplasty, powered for subgroup analyses, failed to show an advantage of vertebroplasty over placebo for participants with recent onset fracture or severe pain. These results do not support the hypothesis that selected subgroups would benefit from vertebroplasty.
#ANDAMOVIE

Return to “Healthcare”