Good/Bad New Moviez

Weird things people do.
JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Good/Bad New Moviez

Postby JO 753 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:08 am

Odd that I coudnt find a general movie topic. So herez wun now to recomend or deride new moviez.
If you get a hankerin to see a movie in the theater wuns in a wile like I do, Its good to hav an idea uv wuts worth seeing.

Source Code. Great Movie! If you liked Jake Gylenhall in Donnie Darko, youll like this. Completely different movie with a similar element.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: Good/Bad New Moviez

Postby Gord » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:40 am

Really? Source Code? But it looks so terrible in the commercials! What makes it a good movie, in your view?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:55 am

I agree about the commercialz. They dont do it justice. Maybe they had a problem with spoiling the surprizez. I dont do spoilerz either, so therez not much I can say.

I think the story iz the most outstanding feature in this movie, altho everything iz excellent. They did the best job uv making it seem scientificly plauzible that I can recall in a movie. They explained the tek to the concept level insted uv just showing a flux capacitor or a glowing sfere ripping into the fabric uv reality.

Time travel moviez seem to be good more often than not, even wen its not really a syfy or time travel iz only an illusion in the story. I've even seen low bujet tt moviez that were very entertaining. This wun iz mainly a drama, so the acting iz even more important to making it work than in action or comedy tt moviez.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:20 pm

No theaters around here. So I'm waiting desperately for True Grit to be available on Netflix.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:33 am

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:40 am

Gord wrote:The Sampo (1959)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW4C-UZyb6s

:thumbsup:

This is an oddity. Although it is distributed by Mosfilms (Russian) it is in Finnish, even the titles.

The object in the eastern European Sampo fairytale is heavily referenced as the object in the 1960's Hungarian science fiction story "Roadside picnic" AKA "Stalker".

I'm suspicious the original fairytale enters western culture as the touch of King Midas.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:53 am

Not sure what you're saying, Matthew.
#ANDAMOVIE

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:18 pm

Does it have to be a new movie? Because they're {!#%@}.

If you want to see a good flick, check out "Mr. Saturday Night", starring Billy Crystal. It came out in the early to mid 90s and I just saw it again the other day. Very funny and a little sad at times, but a great film.

Also, "The Godfather", parts 1 and 2.
{!#%@} trump!

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:34 am

:lol: Ruben's old.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:03 am

:shakefist: goddamnwhippersnapper
{!#%@} trump!

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:53 am

Hey! You Kids, Get Off My Lawn! And go hang out at the mall like yer supposed to. :curmudgeon:
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:38 pm

:moon:

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:29 pm

Gord wrote:The Sampo (1959)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW4C-UZyb6s

:thumbsup:

Sooooo sleeeeeepy. i must sleep now

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:55 am

Hey JO, how ya been?

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:56 am

Duh. He just said "sleeeeeepy".
{!#%@} trump!

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:08 am

I was actually commenting on JO's recent absence from our beloved forum. I thought maybe he got a life and was trying to be all upity about it by not reporting in. But evidently he just woke up from a long nap.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:57 am

Hi From!

Been down in FL for a few weeks moving my dadz stuff out uv hiz house. Hez in an assisted living community now. Hez doing OK, but haznt fully recovered from the stroke he had in December. Brought hiz TV stuff and a bunch uv tapes. He really lit up when I played a tape uv hiz brother from 1990 in Poland. Hopefully all the familiar stuff will help bring hiz brain back.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:24 pm

g2cu jo# :wave:
#ANDAMOVIE

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:51 pm

Saw The Fighter on DVD. Good boxing movie and its based on a true story.

Watched it on a 7" Panasonic TV/DVD player. Gets broadcast TV for free and wuz only 98$ at Samz Club!

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:32 pm

More spam.
{!#%@} trump!

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:34 pm

{!#%@} trump!

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed May 18, 2011 10:10 pm

Thor.

Good action. Good pick for the lead character. Great visualz. See it in 2D; The 3D iz very limited, so not worth the extra bucks or the general visual degradation uv looking thru the glassez. Like all the recent Marvel Comic moviez therez a prequel scene for the Avengerz after the credz thats worth sticking around for.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon May 30, 2011 10:29 pm

I watched the Israeli movie "Lebanon".

The entire film is from the point of view of inside the tank. Our glimpses of outside are through the cupola, vision episcopes and the infra-red targeting scope. The tank goes into Lebanon and the crew get the jitters as they don't know what is going on in the outside world. It is different to the claustrophobia the viewer gets from "Das Boot" ( the German submarine film)

Peter Jackson has stolen this new genre, transposed it to a German King Tiger tank in 1944 on the Russian front, for his new movie "Panzer 88". Peter Jackson has added a medieval Russian monster. It should be a really top shelf "B" Grade film.

The genre is pretty interesting. I think it could easily be moved to a space ship and I bet a million bucks someone will do this within five years.

The trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMRD3z_m ... re=related

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:30 am

X men First Class.

Dont let the commercialz fool you, its an excellent entry in the seriez. I wuz worried that it wuz going to be a lame 'make it pop with the kidz' mess, but it stuck to the general tone and quality level uv the previous wunz. Definitely better than Wolverine.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:08 am

JO 753 wrote:X men First Class.

Dont let the commercialz fool you, its an excellent entry in the seriez. I wuz worried that it wuz going to be a lame 'make it pop with the kidz' mess, but it stuck to the general tone and quality level uv the previous wunz. Definitely better than Wolverine.

I love my superhero films. Fun fantasy! Thanks Jo. I'll go see it.

I have watched the "Captain America" shorts and noticed that our very own moderator Pyrrho does a brief cameo. ( I always wondered what his daytime job was......supporting super heros obviously....I wonder which members here post while wearing a cape and brightly coloured tights?)

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:04 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:I have watched the "Captain America" shorts and noticed that our very own moderator Pyrrho does a brief cameo.

Didnt notice. Who wut wer wen???

I wonder which members here post while wearing a cape and brightly coloured tights?) [/color]

UUU...EVERYBODY I assume!

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:53 pm

#ANDAMOVIE

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:39 am

Saw Super 8 Sunday night. 'Twas ok. Not bad. 'Twas fun.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:07 pm

Playing catch up with sum moviez I missed.

The Mechanic iz a remake uv a great Charles Bronson movie frum the 70z. It looked like they had turned it in to a simple minded action vehicle for Jason Statham frum the looks uv the commercialz, but its actually pretty good. Not az philisofical az the orijinal, but they did retain much uv the story. The weakest part wuz the editing uv the action sequencez. Like alot uv filmakerz for the last 25 yearz, they think that chopping the action into 1/4 second bits makes it more exciting.

A funny spoof idea woud be all the non action scenez are shown in ordinarily paced editing, but the action iz a guy sitting in front uv the camara holding up fotografs uv crashez, gun play, explosionz etc az fast az he can.

Taken iz better than you mite expect. Liam Neeson duz a great job az a retired preventor uv bad thingz. I thout this came out earlier this yir. No, its frum 2008!

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:12 pm

Put Taken at the top of the Netflix queue. Neeson is a favourite, as is Jodie Foster, which helps put Nell at the top of my movie favourites.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:36 pm

Saw Transformers 3. It was fun, but silly and dumb. Generally, I don't like dumb movies, but the special effects were quite spectacular, and are the only thing worth watching in that movie. Lots of explosions. Lots of pretty colors. Lots of cool lookin' robots.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:11 am

Anthony Hopkins, you mean.

Doing more cach up. Saw The Town. eksulent.

Saw Quarantine and then The Men Who Stare At Goats. A coincidence that I picked them up at random with 3 other moviez and then randomly watched them consecutively and they both have Billy Squire songz.

Quarantine iz a good zombie film starring Jennifer Carpenter (Dexterz sister) doing a great job az an enthuziastic young reporter.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:30 pm

Started watching The Mothman Prophecies. I saw the first 20 min. Will watch more later. So far, it's ordinary dramatic stuff, with an image of Mothman scaring a woman while she drives causing her to get into an accident. While convalescing, and before she died, she drew a bunch of scary looking images of Mothman.

Started watching Dr. Who and the Daleks. Saw the first hour so far. It's a human Dr. Who who happens to be somewhat buffoonish. It's not great so far. Played by Governor Talkin.

EDIT: I mistakenly put "The Eyes of Mothman". That was wrong. It's The Mothman Prophecies.
Last edited by Monster on Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:26 pm

I am almost alwayz successful at watching moviez uninterrupted. Keeps you frum loozing the flow and falling 'out' uv the story.

I watched both the original Italian Job and the remake yesterday. The original haz a whole range uv stupid in it, micro to macro. Micro iz like wen sumbudy sez sumthing that makes no sense, macro stupid iz a big hole in the plot or sumthing else that makes the story junk. In between you hav thingz like the lawz uv fiziks being inexplicably neglected or inconsistently applied, or temporally incongruent action. This movie had it all. I suspect it wuz suppozed to be a comedy, wich can excuze almost anything, but since I wuznt amuzed at anything, it wuz barely watchable.

The remake wuz way better. The plot wuz more complex and made sense. The action wuz well paced. No seriously stupid contradictionz. Good acting.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:01 am

Captain America

Excellent. This iz definitely a movie to see in the theater and also buy the disk. Altho they are all good to excellent, this iz my fave so far out uv the moviez that are leading up to The Avengerz.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:37 pm

Saw Harry Potter #8. 'Twas good and enjoyable.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:22 am

JO 753 wrote:Captain America

Excellent. This iz definitely a movie to see in the theater and also buy the disk. Altho they are all good to excellent, this iz my fave so far out uv the moviez that are leading up to The Avengerz.

I'm looking forward to seeing "Captain America". The creative team had a very difficult job in making this palatable for the world market. From looking at the "shorts" I get the feeling they have jumped on the "Wolfenstein" story line which is a really smart move. "Wolfenstein" was a very popular computer game which had an American hero killing mutant zombie nazis........how can you go wrong with such a great storyline?

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:39 am

Maybe you can not! i saw a zombie nazi movie a few yirz bak & it wuz pretty good. Maybe its the majik formula & in 10 yirz thats all they will make!

Coincidentaly, Bajr & Skinny Pete were debating zombie naziz on last weeks Breaking Bad.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:02 pm

JO 753 wrote:Maybe you can not! i saw a zombie nazi movie a few yirz bak & it wuz pretty good. Maybe its the majik formula & in 10 yirz thats all they will make!

Coincidentaly, Bajr & Skinny Pete were debating zombie naziz on last weeks Breaking Bad.

Shouldn't that be spelled "natziz" or perhaps "natzez"?

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:27 pm

I just saw the movie Fantastic Planet last night as a DVD from Netflix. It's from 1973. Holy crap, what an awesome movie! Best movie I've seen in ages.

Fragment of the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys8AkwMRvgo

Definitely try to watch the movie in French. On the DVD it's got French and English.

Return to “Popular Culture”