The Will and the Voice of the People on Nov. 2nd

Stuff of interest on the Web...
numan
BANNED

Re: The Will and the Voice of the People on Nov. 2nd

Post by numan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:33 pm

'
KnaveOfHearts wrote:I find it intriguing how one can be idiotic based on the location of their birth.

That is blindingly obvious!

Ever since the disaster of participating in the Second World War, Americans have been the most profitable people in the world to exploit, and therefore the most brainwashed people in the world, and therefore the most idiotic people in the world! Do I have to do all your thilnking for you?

Instead of being the dim-witted yokels they used to be, sixty years of rule by the Military-Industrial Conspiracy Complex has honed them into very sinister fools indeed!

Also I'd like to point out that it when you saw a problem in America you decided rather than say something or you know take it upon yourself to do something about it like run for office.

"Run for office"! Are there still people so naive that they think running for office is a way to fix the problems of America? How quaint!

However, congratulations for knowing everything about my biography without ever having met me. You must be very wise.

As for me, I have learned---far too late, but I have learned---the wisdom of Theodorus of Cyrene:

"It is not reasonable that a wise man should hazard himself for his country, and endanger wisdom for a set of fools."

Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.

KnaveOfHearts
Regular Poster

Post by KnaveOfHearts » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:44 pm

numan wrote:'

As for me, I have learned---far too late, but I have learned---the wisdom of Theodorus of Cyrene:

"It is not reasonable that a wise man should hazard himself for his country, and endanger wisdom for a set of fools."

How pray tell has your wisdom helped Canada? Also how has your constant stream of derogatory remarks helped anyone?
"All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other."
— H.P. Lovecraft

numan
BANNED

Post by numan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:48 pm

'
KnaveOfHearts wrote:How pray tell has your wisdom helped Canada? Also how has your constant stream of derogatory remarks helped anyone?

Hard to say.... How has your "patriotism" helped anyone?

Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.

KnaveOfHearts
Regular Poster

Post by KnaveOfHearts » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:56 pm

KnaveOfHearts wrote:I find it intriguing how one can be idiotic based on the location of their birth.

That is blindingly obvious!

Ever since the disaster of participating in the Second World War, Americans have been the most profitable people in the world to exploit, and therefore the most brainwashed people in the world, and therefore the most idiotic people in the world! Do I have to do all your thilnking for you?

Instead of being the dim-witted yokels they used to be, sixty years of rule by the Military-Industrial Conspiracy Complex has honed them into very sinister fools indeed!

So despite the advancements we bring to the world we're a bunch of brainwashed fools. Hey, I'll admit there are things that I do not like about America but I will never say it is filled with nothing but fools and idiots that are worse than yokels. So please do explain what America or even better the American people have done to you.

Also I'd like to point out that it when you saw a problem in America you decided rather than say something or you know take it upon yourself to do something about it like run for office.

"Run for office"! Are there still people so naive that they think running for office is a way to fix the problems of America? How quaint!

Please enlighten me as to how to fix the problems then? Oh I bet I know we should just blow the whole place up right?

However, congratulations for knowing everything about my biography without ever having met me. You must be very wise.

I don't. I never said I did. I'm just going on what you've said. Please inform me where I went wrong? Did you not leave and go to Canada?

Last edited by KnaveOfHearts on Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other."
— H.P. Lovecraft

KnaveOfHearts
Regular Poster

Post by KnaveOfHearts » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:58 pm

KnaveOfHearts wrote:How pray tell has your wisdom helped Canada? Also how has your constant stream of derogatory remarks helped anyone?

Hard to say.... How has your "patriotism" helped anyone?

Calling your {!#%@} and patriotism are completely different things. But I doubt it has but I don't think patriotism ever really claimed to help anyone but the person who felt it.
— H.P. Lovecraft

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:47 pm

KnaveOfHearts wrote:
ruben lopez wrote:
From where I sit...this country has surpassed your goals and expectations.

I quite agree with you. No matter how idiotic Americans seem to me, they always surpass my expectations.

I find it intriguing how one can be idiotic based on the location of their birth. Also I'd like to point out that it when you saw a problem in America you decided rather than say something or you know take it upon yourself to do something about it like run for office. You ran away and now you sit there in your paranoid little anti-American bubble and complain about us from on high. Congratulations on your contribution to society.

numan's anti-Americanism (to the degree that one can make head or tail of what s/he is trying to accomplish by repetition rather than any zeroing in on cause and effect ) appears to be a tic, (with which one can sympathize) rather than a political position (with which one can take serious issue).
It now appears to be almost entirely involuntary, the obverse of insentient patriotism.

Sort of like peristalsis... but in the brain.

Also, I think I read here, that s/he is a midwife .
Now midwifery COULD exemplify genuine public service, and concern for women who wish to have their offspring delivered in an alternate,more humanly responsive way than is afforded by conventual contemporary obstetric practice.
COULD.
But it MIGHT also indicate someone who simply wasn't able to get into even a really third rate medical school, perhaps even in the United States..****
MIGHT .. [i] might /i], might .
I did suggest "COULD."
I did say "MIGHT."
Only numan and some sworn- to- discretion Deans of Admission can know for sure.
NMB

**** And who is consequently suffering from the ingestion of too many sour grapes...
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

numan
BANNED

Post by numan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:51 pm

'
KnaveOfHearts wrote:So despite the advancements we bring to the world we're a bunch of brainwashed fools.

Please enlighten me as to what advancements you are bringing to the world.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Post by Aztexan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:07 pm

It's been bastardized and butchered and maimed beyond recognition in most cases, but Freedom of the Press is something that didn't exist until we made it law.
trump is Putin's bitch

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:04 am

KnaveOfHearts wrote:So despite the advancements we bring to the world we're a bunch of brainwashed fools.

Please enlighten me as to what advancements you are bringing to the world.

Nylon hosiery. (Dupont, 1938) For which, and for many years, most of the people in the world would have sold their mothers into White slavery.... and probably did.
(Who knows that a progenitor of numan (or of any of us) was not among them?
Speak now, please; numan can use the help.)

And what about Hershey chocolate bars, which still do undermine the family values of those with viable mothers for trade?
For a Hershey bar with almonds and a pack of Marlboro cigarettes (American as Yankee Doodle) an American might, even now in these contentious times, marry a Sheik's daughter.
So while a cigarette might be a less than noble instrument of trade, that Sheik's morals aren't to be dismissed lightly as admirables, either.

Now, Godiva may be tasty, and Swiss Truffles have some juice, but the cheap Hershey chocolate bar is a star of most of the World War II movies ever made, recognized during the Battle of the Bulge (on boht sides) and from Point Barrow to Ulan Bator as a desirable cure for the blues.
And Snicker Bars... ummmmm... only a person with no taste OR humor would snicker at a Snicker Bar.
See the thing is that while Americans might be naive, undereducated, gullible, and even brain washed, failing at least to be created in the impressive image of numan,..... still... in order for numan to be taken seriously, a contender for sober and meaningful discourse (about anything) numan would have to show that s/he her/himself had some substance about her/him.
In the form of something original, interesting, and compelling to say.
And so far?
Nothing.
Nada.
Nichts..
Nichevo.
And even τίποτα.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Jeff D
Frequent Poster

Post by Jeff D » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:59 am

Other precious American inventions (just ones that occurred to me at random):

1. Jazz (I acknowledge the difficult-to-isolate elements of jazz and blues music that were influenced by African and Caribbean music traditions brought here by slaves)

2. Comic books (Did Japanese manga exist before American comics?)

3. Baseball (Don't get me started on cricket and rounders).

4. Transistors-on-a-chip and digital computers.

5. Best of all, the world's first (and perhaps still the only?) written constitution that doesn't mention deities and that enshrines separation of church and state as a core principle.
Jeff D

KnaveOfHearts
Regular Poster

Post by KnaveOfHearts » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:05 pm

While I am more than aware that wikipedia is not the most reliable source in the world I would direct you to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:A ... inventions for starters on a list of American inventions.
— H.P. Lovecraft

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by fromthehills » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:52 pm

KnaveOfHearts wrote:While I am more than aware that wikipedia is not the most reliable source in the world I would direct you to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:A ... inventions for starters on a list of American inventions.

Psst, Knave, Richard tried to pass this one over, already. At the top of the page it says patented in, not necessarily invented in.

KnaveOfHearts
Regular Poster

Post by KnaveOfHearts » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:15 pm

fromthehills wrote:
KnaveOfHearts wrote:While I am more than aware that wikipedia is not the most reliable source in the world I would direct you to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:A ... inventions for starters on a list of American inventions.

Psst, Knave, Richard tried to pass this one over, already. At the top of the page it says patented in, not necessarily invented in.

Fair enough. But I will say that there must be good reason to patent something here. It certainly isn't the price.
— H.P. Lovecraft

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by fromthehills » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:19 pm

I'd suspect the free market. In some countries you might find your invention State property, rather than being able to sell it. Among other reasons.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:22 pm

fromthehills wrote:I'd suspect the free market. In some countries you might find your invention State property, rather than being able to sell it. Among other reasons.

Another reason might be that for certain inventions, patenting in the US allows the inventor to sell in the American market without import duties.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

numan
BANNED

Post by numan » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:49 pm

'
ruben lopez wrote:It's been bastardized and butchered and maimed beyond recognition in most cases, but Freedom of the Press....

Thank you for admitting that Freedom of the Press does not exist in an America of multinational media monopolies.

numan
BANNED

Post by numan » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:55 pm

'
nmblum wrote:Nylon hosiery.

So you regard nylon hosiery as a major contribution to human civilization. Why am I not surprised?

...while Americans might be naive, undereducated, gullible, and even brain washed....

Thank you for admitting that truth. Too bad it is buried in so much gibberish.

numan
BANNED

Post by numan » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:57 pm

'
Jeff D wrote: Comic books (Did Japanese manga exist before American comics?)

Yes they did----long before.

numan
BANNED

Post by numan » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:05 pm

'
fromthehills wrote:I'd suspect the free market. In some countries you might find your invention State property, rather than being able to sell it.

The US military can expropriate any patent it wants, and frequently has done so.

In the USA, if the patent is really valuable, it will be tied up in legal wrangling until the time limit for the patent runs out, so that the corporate monopolies get it for free.

The "free market" does not exist, never has existed, and never will exist. Try again.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:23 pm

fromthehills wrote:I'd suspect the free market. In some countries you might find your invention State property, rather than being able to sell it.

The US military can expropriate any patent it wants, and frequently has done so.

In the USA, if the patent is really valuable, it will be tied up in legal wrangling until the time limit for the patent runs out, so that the corporate monopolies get it for free.

The "free market" does not exist, never has existed, and never will exist. Try again.

Wow... don't you love it when the obvious is stated as if the writer had not only discovered the wheel, but also believes that announcing it is a supreme act of courage .... in the face of being thrown in to the arena with the lions!!
Those are, like most of numan's avowals, and despite that all phenomena are interrelated, two separate and distinc subjects for exploration.
One having to do with American patent law, (about which I suspect numan is NOT an expert) and how it services invention, or not, and the other the subject of the reality of the "free market," " which is hardly a purely American domain...
To the extent that the "free market" has existed at all, ever (blockades armadas, embargoes etc. or simply control of credit and price fixing, are hardly American inventions) the numan's very vocabulary is an invention of Capitalism.

And by the way, and Lo!! the name of numan leading all the rest: verbal temper tantrums and petulant, albeit figurative foot stamping do not constitute research.

As one of my own favorite Russian history professors was known, during the heady days of the Cold War, to write, and memorably , in the margins of papers (most of which were simply scribbling anyway) "your opinions are interesting, but a few facts would show that you had done some work... and ""Damn America" is NOT enough." "
And as it turned out, he was absolutely right.... "damn America" is not enough..
In the case at hand, for instance, I don't need to know that numan thinks that patents are manipulated to benefit corporations...... his/her opinions are well enough known.
What are needed are names, dates, and serial numbers.
Which are never forthcoming.

Norma Manna Blum
Skepticism:

numan
BANNED

Post by numan » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:33 pm

'
nmblum wrote:What are needed are names, dates, and serial numbers.

Norma Manna Blum

BLUM = much rhetoric, few facts -- or truth, for that matter.

I see that Matthew Ellard is not the only person here who needs to take his own advice.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:18 pm

nmblum wrote:What are needed are names, dates, and serial numbers.

Norma Manna Blum

BLUM = much rhetoric, few facts -- or truth, for that matter.

I see that Matthew Ellard is not the only person here who needs to take his own advice.

Well now, "truth" is a mighty big order... and I doubt that you are really suggesting that it has any connection with what can only be considered your banter...
And of course, you THINK you see.
But on the other hand it's fairly clear that you need a seeing eye-dog.
And not simply because you so consistently trip over your own hysterical rhetoric but because your tongue gets tangled in your keyboard.
A seeing eye dog COULD when inevitably needed to do so, alert a neighbor (or a caregiver) to save you from your embarrassing entanglements.
Not to mention your increasingly faulty judgments.
Check it out.
(And don't forget to turn off the stove when you go to bed.)

Norma Manna Blum
Skepticism:

numan
BANNED

Post by numan » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:41 pm

'
Rhetoric, rhetoric, mendacious rhetoric....

Were you involved in writing speeches for George W. Bush?

That would explain you wasting the earth's resources flying hither and yon.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:24 am

numan:
Rhetoric, rhetoric, mendacious rhetoric....

Were you involved in writing speeches for George W. Bush?

No, but if I had wanted to I COULD have gotten such a job with the Green Party candidates in California, based on experience AND a resume
Infinitely employable in any number of good causes... that's me...
Although I empathize with your bitterness at whatever fate has made you unemployable. (that you can't blame on either America or the vagaries and unfairness of capitalism).

That would explain you wasting the earth's resources flying hither and yon.
[/quote]

LOL.... Good enough for Stephen Hawking is good enough for me!!

Norma Manna Blum
Skepticism:

numan
BANNED

Post by numan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:59 am

'
I've met Stephen Hawking, and you, Norma Manna Blum, are no Stephen Hawking!

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by fromthehills » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:04 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:
fromthehills wrote:I'd suspect the free market. In some countries you might find your invention State property, rather than being able to sell it. Among other reasons.

Another reason might be that for certain inventions, patenting in the US allows the inventor to sell in the American market without import duties.

Makes sense, since we are the largest consumer economy. My guess, also, would be to piss off Numan. Seems the world revolves around him.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by fromthehills » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:13 am

Jesus! I thought one affliction was bad enough for the guy. Or was Numan actually the cause of the ailment. I still hear raspy, evil voice while reading Numan's posts.

Anyway, BS, Numan didn't meet Hawking. He may have seen him from afar, while slinking around a Hawking appearance. And :lol: if he did, it's obvious that brains aren't contagious. :lol:

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:57 am

fromthehills wrote:

Jesus! I thought one affliction was bad enough for the guy. Or was Numan actually the cause of the ailment. I still hear raspy, evil voice while reading Numan's posts.

Anyway, BS, Numan didn't meet Hawking. He may have seen him from afar, while slinking around a Hawking appearance. And :lol: if he did, it's obvious that brains aren't contagious. :lol:

Odd.
I too hear an evil voice, but I credited it to Dr. Strangelove, rather than Stephen Hawking.
As I never had the illusion or even the pretense of being "a Stephen Hawking," I can hardly be insulted by the suggestion that I lack his gifts...
Bu then, while brains, as you say, are NOT contagious hysteria IS. And it is probable from the evidence that NUMAN inhabits, alas for poor numan, a highly volatile environment.
And where the high-strung and the turbulent come in the door.... any possibility for rationality usually flies out the window.

NMB

NMB
Skepticism:

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by fromthehills » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:32 am

I wasn't referring to Hawking's computerized voice. Yes, more like Strangelove or Gargamel( sp) from the Smurfs, but worse. Or the Wicked Witch of the West, but I read that from the other point of view, by Gregory????, so I have a wee bit of empathy for her. Oh, the crone, Daughter of None, same voice I imagined from reading Stephen King's Dark Tower. Wretched, I say.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:18 am

fromthehills wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:

Makes sense, since we are the largest consumer economy. My guess, also, would be to piss off Numan. Seems the world revolves around him.

Also the fact that an American patent will hold up in an American court better than some other countries' patents might. You want to sell in the States, not give away your invention in the States!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Squishua
Regular Poster
Custom Title: Invisible Man

Post by Squishua » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:26 am

nmblum wrote:I too hear an evil voice, but I credited it to Dr. Strangelove

fromthehills wrote:Yes, more like Strangelove

I beg your pardon, but I have the voice of a songbird.
"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
- H. L. Mencken

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by fromthehills » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:25 pm

Gord wrote:Also the fact that an American patent will hold up in an American court better than some other countries' patents might. You want to sell in the States, not give away your invention in the States!

True.

numan
BANNED

Post by numan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:38 pm

'
It's incredible how simple-minded and naive you babes in the woods are. You really haven't got a clue.

The realm of patents and patent law is a shark infested sea. If you children ever got involved with patents, you wouldn't be left with your underwear!

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by fromthehills » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:21 pm

It's incredible how simple-minded and naive you babes in the woods are. You really haven't got a clue.

The realm of patents and patent law is a shark infested sea. If you children ever got involved with patents, you wouldn't be left with your underwear!

* Harassment by means of continual, off-topic personal attacks, e.g. following a user from topic to topic and attacking them personally.

Jeff D
Frequent Poster

Post by Jeff D » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:07 am

I do not see any of numan's posts except to the extent that others here reproduce parts of them as quotes. That's the best I can do in minimizing the time I waste with respect to what numan posts.

Although I am a lawyer with 31 years of practice experience (including some, long ago, with trademarks and copyrights), and although I read and follow some patent cases, I am not a patent lawyer, and I intentionally did not comment on the notion that obtaining a U.S. patent makes it easier to protect a product based on the patent, compared to enforcing a foreign patent.

Unless numan is a patent lawyer, his or her comments on patent law should not be assumed to be the comments of a well-informed "adult." But I think that I belabor the obvious.
Jeff D

xouper
True Skeptic

Post by xouper » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:33 pm

Jeff D wrote:I do not see any of numan's posts except to the extent that others here reproduce parts of them as quotes. That's the best I can do in minimizing the time I waste with respect to what numan posts.

Same here. Although I'm sure he thinks that just because we can see a snippet or two of his posts when others quote him, that we're really not ignoring him. We can still talk about him when necessary without actually having to read and respond to his BS.

Unless numan is a patent lawyer, his or her comments on patent law should not be assumed to be the comments of a well-informed "adult." But I think that I belabor the obvious.

I would amend that to include areas beyond patent law. But yeah, that is belaboring the obvious. 8-)

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by fromthehills » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:20 pm

I was merely speculating, out of my ass, why inventors might prefer to patent their inventions in the U.S. I assume that was pretty clear. Numan's just a cat with a hurt paw, that tends to snarl for no good reason. I had him on ignore for a while, as well. That is probably the best way.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:32 am

If I didn't speculate, I'd probably never post about anything except the weather.

By the way, they're saying it might snow. I'm skeptical, though, 'cause I live in Canada, and I don't remember it ever snowing here, ever. Especially not in the winter.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:37 pm

Gord wrote:If I didn't speculate, I'd probably never post about anything except the weather.

By the way, they're saying it might snow. I'm skeptical, though, 'cause I live in Canada, and I don't remember it ever snowing here, ever. Especially not in the winter.

The view from Gord's shed in January
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero