Guns and false dichotomies

Duck and cover
Ranb

Re: Guns and false dichotomies

Post by Ranb » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:45 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:1. The definition of arduous was contextualized as "no one is doing it." The fact that you can do it says nothing about the process. Just as my own inability to do it does not make it impossible. Over personalizing any topic only misleads.
Good grief! You can win any argument by claiming your own unique definition of the words you use in your posts.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/arduous
a : hard to accomplish or achieve : difficult
an arduous task
years of arduous training
b : marked by great labor or effort : strenuous
If all I have to do is write a check, obtain a tax stamp and have an FFL perform a NICS check, it really can't be that hard right?
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:2. Again.......what do the legalities of current law have to do when the discussion is what the law SHOULD BE? Once again...the issue was whether or not background checks should be UNIVERSAL. etc. Not about legalities of background checks.
Once again you make a claim you should know is false then say, "well I want it to mean this". It's fine that you want the law changed to require more bkgd checks. It's fine to say the law doesn't go far enough. It is just wrong to say it's a loophole. If you want to communicate effectively, then you should be using standard words and phrases that most others understand. It's not really fair to say you meant something else after you're called on it.
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:3. Cigarettes---last time I looked, I found it shocking. Booze is too high...compared. Lots of non-Sin taxes do the same as well....lots of imported items. The limit is not the comparison of inherent value to the tax but rather the amount of tax/revenue generated compared to the creation of a black market for the same item.
I think the taxes on cigs and booze were for revenue, not a backdoor ban. As far as I know the taxes on cigarettes just make them cost 2-3 times as much, not ten times. Can you imagine the uproar if there was a $20-$200 tax on a pack or carton? If congress wanted to ban or greatly curb cigarette smoking they would make nicotine a schedule 1 drug.

xouper
True Skeptic

Post by xouper » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:37 am

Ranb wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote: . . .
. . . If you want to communicate effectively, then you should be using standard words and phrases that most others understand. It's not really fair to say you meant something else after you're called on it.
In case you were wondering, other people have also made similar observations about bobbo's (mis)use of the language, both in his own word choices and in how he chooses to (mis)interpret other's words.

I don't pretend to know why he does that. Forum decorum suggests I not mention my conjecture on that matter.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:31 pm

Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Cadmusteeth
Frequent Poster

Post by Cadmusteeth » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:39 pm

Gord wrote: Oh, everyone's biased. I don't think being biased in one direction rather than another disqualifies anyone from giving their views here.
The goal then is trying to give fact based arguments as to why that bias is objectively valid.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:09 pm

Bias is just opinion.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:45 pm

bias: A partiality that prevents objective consideration of an issue or situation
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:42 pm

Cadmusteeth wrote:
Gord wrote:Oh, everyone's biased. I don't think being biased in one direction rather than another disqualifies anyone from giving their views here.
The goal then is trying to give fact based arguments as to why that bias is objectively valid.
Is not is not is not!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:02 pm

Gord wrote:
Cadmusteeth wrote:
Gord wrote:Oh, everyone's biased. I don't think being biased in one direction rather than another disqualifies anyone from giving their views here.
Is not is not is not!

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:12 pm

Its not. Read the definition. If its objectively valid..... its not bias. Bias==>not to be confused with "informed."

But why isn't that a "bias" towards being "objective?" ////////// and I see I must conform my brain/thinking to the dictionary meaning of words. So, the will/choice to seek objective truth is not a bias, ............... but a value?

Words.

"We think with words, and flower with ideas."
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Cadmusteeth
Frequent Poster

Post by Cadmusteeth » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:56 pm

Ok, dropping that one like a hot plate.
(Actually, I dropped it long before then.)