London attack was minus guns

Duck and cover
nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Re: London attack was minus guns

Postby nmblum88 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:04 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Matthew

Flash was not being serious. So don't take it seriously. Please.

Are YOU serious?
Are you essentially apologizing for Flash's intelligence or his style?
Or are you being dismissive of Flash's often and well expressed contempt for cliches and ill-informed posturing?.

NMB

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:40 am

Norma

Definitely not apologizing. I enjoy the occasional person who refuses to take things seriously. For example, Gord, and Flash.

I enjoy a lot of what Matthew says, as well. He is a smart cookie, who has a lot of great ideas, and a lot of knowledge. Just sometimes, though, Matthew gets too intense about something. I have the same fault, which I guess means I have more sympathy than those who become the target of his intensity.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:38 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Norma

Definitely not apologizing. I enjoy the occasional person who refuses to take things seriously. For example, Gord, and Flash.

I enjoy a lot of what Matthew says, as well. He is a smart cookie, who has a lot of great ideas, and a lot of knowledge. Just sometimes, though, Matthew gets too intense about something. I have the same fault, which I guess means I have more sympathy than those who become the target of his intensity.

Thanks so much for sharing, Lance...
I certainly do not mean to diminish your enjoyment, or to disallow your judgments, although they differ so "intensely" from my own.
I, for instance, think Flash is quite serious , and has as a matter of record, given a great deal of though to what are not only the political but the moral dilemmas that we humans are increasingly beset by.

And, as to the Little Bookkeeper Who Couldn't, Sydney's own Uriah Heep with Delusions of Grandeur? Well, Matthew is certainly a Cookie, Lance, no doubt about that.

But the only people who think he has ever had anything that remotely resembles an IDEA ("great" is beyond taking seriously) or even a modicum of actual knowledge are only those who know less than he does... about practically anything..

However we love, admire,tolerate, those whom we love, admire , tolerate .... the reasons are mysterious but clearly are more related to whom WE ourselves are (or aren't) rather than whom and what THEY are.
Or aren't.
Norma

P.S. I don't want you think I wish Matthew ill...long may he natter on in his desperate-for- attention, high-strung, adult -bed-wetter manner.
Who could otherwise even imagine a homunculus with a cyrillic keyboard, a marginally employed bookkeeper who babbles about quantum physics and a purveyor of his own personal family anecdotes that make the Jukes and the Kallikaks seem to academia and the manor born?

NMB

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:52 am

Norma Supervitor wrote:P.S Burp....hick.....burp....... I don't want you think I wish Matthew ill... burp..... hick..... burp..... long may he natter on in his desperate-for- attention, high-strung, adult -bed-wetter manner. burp.....hick ....burp .....
That's OK Norma. You are just a demented 80 year old alcoholic whose only purpose in life is to talk about me since I exposed you using magic magnetic vests.

You'll die soon. That's something for all of us to look forward to.
:lol:

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:56 am

Norma Supervitor wrote: P.S. I am clearly alive...
I think pickled is a more accurate description. :lol:

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:50 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Norma Supervitor wrote: P.S. I am clearly alive...
I think pickled is a more accurate description. :lol:

LOL.... but of course, Sister, I doubt that you THNK at all, and of course, accuracy is not exactly your most salient virtue.

There are certainly no DUIs to be found on record with my name on them.
Can you say the same?
Accurately?
(Yet another word you might want to look up on a dictionary.)

Norma Manna Blum

(

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:15 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:I enjoy the occasional person who refuses to take things seriously. For example, Gord, and Flash.

I take everything seriously! And don't call me Shirley.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:25 am

Gord.

I will still enjoy your posts. That is SURELY true.

Cheers.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:35 am

I quite like the concept of an occasional person. All manner of things come to mind.

Phoenix76
Poster
Custom Title: Phoenix76

Postby Phoenix76 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:51 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:
Flash wrote:I have a right to a fat arse and complaining. I am retired.

How do you manage that, Flash.
I am also retired, but I have a bony arse, which hurts if I sit on it too long. My fat migrated to my middle instead. The complaining, we have in common.

Well Lance, I can sympathise with your bony arse, coz mine's the same. Only thing is the fat didn't migrate to my middle. I'm also retired, so we have something in common.

Obviously this whole thread has centered around your American rules/laws etc, but here in Australia, we have some pretty tough gun laws. After a massacre in Australia some years back, the government of the day brought in these gun laws which even included a gun buy back. Another name for the decision was political expediency.

Guess what today's choice of weapon is for bad people? Yep you got it - guns. Guns of choice are handguns and sawn off shotguns or rifles. Now, the ownership of handguns has always been restricted, and sawn off weapons have always been banned. So effectiveness of the new laws has been zilch.

As for the terrorists in London, they are following a pattern that doesn't seem to favour guns particularly. They love knives so they can decapitate, popular in the Koran, and bombs, particularly the suicide types, something about virgins in heaven. They have been known to use guns, but they don't seem to be that preferred weapon. They like to hit hard and fast, not give away their intent, and so reek the most havoc.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:09 am

Ever check the gun murder rate in Oz?

It is approximately 0.1 killings per 100,000 people per year. Total homicide rate is 1 per 100,000 per year.
Know what it is in the land of the free and the dead? 3 killings per 100,000 per year, by guns.
American gun homicides run at about 30 times as high as Australia per capita. In Australia, 9 out of 10 murders are done by things other than guns, while in the USA it runs at roughly 60% of all murders are done with guns. Still think Aussie gun control does not work?

Incidentally, I am not American.

Phoenix76
Poster
Custom Title: Phoenix76

Postby Phoenix76 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:56 am

Lance, maybe our homicide rate is relatively low, and maybe the use of guns as a tool of homicide is minute, but we still like to brandish them around when we commit felonies. Car highjacked at a gas station the other day and guess what one of the highjackers was waving around? A pistol actually.

I think that you will find that our homicide rates involving guns has always been low. We have never had the shooting sprees that have occurred in America, except for Martin Bryant who went ballistic at Port Arthur in Tasmania. As I said before, that was quickly blamed on the availability of guns. The whole problem was that Bryant should never have been able to access a firearm, especially the AK type rifle he had. More a failure of the system to keep guns out of the hands of people who should never be let near a gun.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:05 am

Phoenix76 wrote: More a failure of the system to keep guns out of the hands of people who should never be let near a gun.

No system will ever be perfect.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:08 am

Phoenix76 wrote:Lance, maybe our homicide rate is relatively low, .........

There is no maybe about it. What are you trying to emphasize by not fully embracing the facts of the matter?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Return to “Guns”