London attack was minus guns

Duck and cover
Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

London attack was minus guns

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:37 am

The terrorist attack in London earlier today would have been much worse in the USA. Three terrorists armed with knives attacked literally dozens of people, stabbing everyone they could reach. 48 wounded people were taken to hospital, but only six were killed.

Imagine the same attack inside the USA. The terrorists would have carried assault rifles and hand guns, plus oodles of ammunition. It would have been 48 dead and six wounded, instead of the other way around.

A knife is not as deadly as a gun. A knife wielder does not have the power to drive a blade through the rib cage, or through the skull. But those things would not even slow a bullet down. So a knife attack results in lots of wounds, and not much killing.

The British, unlike the idiot American government have tight gun control. Trump, being idiot number one, is loosening what little gun control that exists. Finagle help America when ISIS decides to attack.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Re: London attack was minus guns

Postby Poodle » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:15 am

Would that were all true, Lance (it's seven dead, now, by the way). Yes, we do have tight gun control, but there is still a thriving black market in arms of all kinds. It would, maybe, be difficult to obtain a rocket launcher, but handguns, rifles, and semi-automatics are often used in the commission of crimes. We're good, but that last bit of gun control efficiency is virtually impossible to attain.
Even so, it appears that this group were rank amateurs. But even rank amateurs can be deadly even if only armed with a van (which they also used as a weapon), knives and surprise. The attackers were dead eight minutes after the onset of the attack, which I think is pretty efficient, but they still managed to kill or injure over 50 people in that short time.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:12 am

Poodle wrote:Would that were all true, Lance (it's seven dead, now, by the way). Yes, we do have tight gun control, but there is still a thriving black market in arms of all kinds. It would, maybe, be difficult to obtain a rocket launcher, but handguns, rifles, and semi-automatics are often used in the commission of crimes. We're good, but that last bit of gun control efficiency is virtually impossible to attain.
Even so, it appears that this group were rank amateurs. But even rank amateurs can be deadly even if only armed with a van (which they also used as a weapon), knives and surprise. The attackers were dead eight minutes after the onset of the attack, which I think is pretty efficient, but they still managed to kill or injure over 50 people in that short time.

Well done to that extent, Brits!

Meanwhile, in the land of the free slaughter reigns. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... eople-die/
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:12 pm

Good statistics there, Gawd.

I would be interested to know how many of those "justifiable homicides" were genuinely self defense. After some of the news items about very, very dubious "justifiable homicides" you have to wonder.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:07 pm

And of course Trump got into the act by tweeting stupid things:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/04/politics/ ... ns-london/

President Donald Trump pointed out on Twitter that the Saturday evening attacks in London had not spurred an immediate debate about gun control because the attackers did not use guns.

After several tweets, including one offering US support to the United Kingdom and another criticizing London Mayor Sadiq Khan, Trump tweeted Sunday morning: "Do you notice we are not having a gun debate right now? That's because they used knives and a truck!"...

...Before Trump's tweet, a Fox News host made a similar point, saying, "Notice we're not having a gun debate right now, because they didn't kill with guns. They killed with knives. They killed with an ideology."...

...Others knocked Trump for the tweet, including former Rep Gabrielle Giffords, who survived a gunshot to the head at a constituent event in 2011 and has since become among the most prominent advocates for gun control legislation.

"Mr. President, every day we are having a gun debate because every day 90 people in our country die from gun violence. Many of them are kids," Giffords said on Twitter.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/03/politics/ ... story_pool

Trump, writing on Twitter Sunday, said: "At least 7 dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and Mayor of London says there is "no reason to be alarmed!"

But when Khan said in a statement that there was no cause for alarm, he was referring specifically to a visible increase in police activity on the streets of London in the wake of the attack.

Here's what Trump tweeted:

Trump tweet wrote:At least 7 dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and Mayor of London says there is "no reason to be alarmed!"

What Mayor Khan actually said:

Khan statement wrote:Londoners will see an increased police presence today and over the course of the next few days -- there's no reason to be alarmed.

Someone should tell Trump to delete his account. :facepalm:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:51 pm

Ari Melber (thieved from a comment thread):

"Trump also injected a US policy debate over gun control into the discussion today, tweeting 'Do you notice we are not having a gun debate right now? That's because they used knives and a truck!' While Trump is a critic of gun control, his tweet actually reads as an argument for gun control. Obviously, if the attackers had guns instead of knives, they would have posed a greater risk. I say that slowly in case the President is watching."
Hi, Io the lurker.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:08 pm

..and

Col. Morris Davis
(@ColMorrisDavis)

50 Americans died by gunshot since London ... if @realDonaldTrump was serious about keeping America safe we'd have a gun debate right now.
Hi, Io the lurker.

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:09 pm

Yes the police to their credit got there in eight minutes but as to the shooting skills much remains to be desired. In all the excitement they shot some bystanders. Maybe the British government ought to bring back the SAS guys who are teaching the terrorists in Libya and Syria how to shoot and have them train the British cops.
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:20 pm

I sometimes think you post before thinking too much, Flash. The police got there in amazing time, and identified the killers quickly. There were other people around, yes - it is Central London, after all. Had the police not pulled the triggers, then those innocent bystanders would undoubtedly have all been attacked and, probably, killed. The nutjobs were not out for a picnic - they were on a suicide mission and wouldn't have hesitated to take as many people with them as they could. You need a quick decision, Flash - watch more innocent people die or shoot. One - not some - person was caught in the shooting (although there is every possibility it was a ricochet) and all three perpetrators were put out of action immediately. This, as opposed to several more innocent bystanders being slaughtered whilst the police debated whether or not to take positive action.
The police acted absolutely correctly.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:24 pm

Flash wrote:In all the excitement they shot some bystanders.

"Some?" I thought it was only one. Or is one considered "some"?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:31 pm

Poodle wrote:I sometimes think you post before thinking too much, Flash. The police got there in amazing time, and identified the killers quickly. There were other people around, yes - it is Central London, after all. Had the police not pulled the triggers, then those innocent bystanders would undoubtedly have all been attacked and, probably, killed. The nutjobs were not out for a picnic - they were on a suicide mission and wouldn't have hesitated to take as many people with them as they could. You need a quick decision, Flash - watch more innocent people die or shoot. One - not some - person was caught in the shooting (although there is every possibility it was a ricochet) and all three perpetrators were put out of action immediately. This, as opposed to several more innocent bystanders being slaughtered whilst the police debated whether or not to take positive action.

And now picture a scenario like this with what FOX/Trump had apparently in mind with their remark...
Hi, Io the lurker.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:50 pm

... and I forgot to add - the person who was shot was not seriously injured and is doing fine,

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:31 am

Has the analysis gone as far as determination of whether there was a connection to the Manchester group?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:02 am

TJrandom wrote:Has the analysis gone as far as determination of whether there was a connection to the Manchester group?
I would imagine that the British services are keeping very quiet so as to identify all the people who may have communicated action orders, if any existed, without scaring them to run away.

The Brits are very good at this.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:14 am

A false dichotomy is a dichotomy that is not jointly exhaustive (there are other alternatives), or that is not mutually exclusive (the alternatives overlap), or that is possibly neither. Note that the example given above is not mutually exclusive, since the test and the program could both be wrong.
False Dichotomy - C2 Wiki
wiki.c2.com/?FalseDichotomy

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:23 am

Poodle wrote:
You need a quick decision, Flash - watch more innocent people die or shoot. One - not some - person was caught in the shooting (although there is every possibility it was a ricochet) and all three perpetrators were put out of action immediately. This, as opposed to several more innocent bystanders being slaughtered whilst the police debated whether or not to take positive action.

Well, they killed them which is good but with how many bullets? Fifty bullets? That's about seventeen bullets per terrorist?
You should send your cops to Chicago or New York City to train with the locals and learn how to kill people with fewer bullets especially if you shoot them in the back. :mrgreen:
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:34 am

Flash wrote: Well, they killed them which is good but with how many bullets? Fifty bullets? That's about seventeen bullets per terrorist?
Close combat with an armed foe requires as many bullets in the air as possible to ensure a kill hit. This is why the Germans, during the war, converted from rifles with large bullets to automatic assault rifles with small bullets.

However, the London terrorists were wearing fake explosive vests and on their feet, so if the Police had to kill them as fast as possible.

It is not the police's fault. It's the terrorists fault for wearing pretend explosive vests. Please don't try blame the police again. It's annoying.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:37 am

Flash wrote:Maybe the British government ought to bring back the SAS guys who are teaching the terrorists in Libya and Syria how to shoot and have them train the British cops.
Considering the terrorists were using knives and not guns, your claim is complete bull-shit.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:06 am

I would imagine that with orders to stop a terrorist attack, the correct reaction would be to obtain a target and then empty your magazine bringing it down. I would imagine that stopping firing to check if you've hit your target is a tad on the stupid side. I would imagine that the police on the scene knew what they were doing. But what do I know?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:17 am

Yeah..........the right wing (aka Faux Spews) is going nuts here tonight saying its all caused and outrageous that every Brit is not armed with a gun to GET THIS: "stop all this violence."

Following the Rule of Equal Dignity (showing it doesn't work in all applications?) seems like every Brit should at least be armed with a White Business Van and some long knives? I mean.... just following the argument.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:20 am

I also saw a site that said the Community Police ran away. But then I googled Community Police, and wiki says that is acceptable, given their role and lack of weapons.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:23 am

Poodle wrote:I would imagine that with orders to stop a terrorist attack, the correct reaction would be to obtain a target and then empty your magazine bringing it down. I would imagine that stopping firing to check if you've hit your target is a tad on the stupid side. I would imagine that the police on the scene knew what they were doing. But what do I know?

Besides, once that fatal bullet hits, the rest do no damage.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:25 am

Flash wrote:Poodle wrote:
You need a quick decision, Flash - watch more innocent people die or shoot. One - not some - person was caught in the shooting (although there is every possibility it was a ricochet) and all three perpetrators were put out of action immediately. This, as opposed to several more innocent bystanders being slaughtered whilst the police debated whether or not to take positive action.

Well, they killed them which is good but with how many bullets? Fifty bullets? That's about seventeen bullets per terrorist?
You should send your cops to Chicago or New York City to train with the locals and learn how to kill people with fewer bullets especially if you shoot them in the back. :mrgreen:

There's a video of a guy emptying a 33-round clip in a Glock in under ten seconds. When you're in a fight you don't count rounds.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:44 am

TJrandom wrote:I also saw a site that said the Community Police ran away. But then I googled Community Police, and wiki says that is acceptable, given their role and lack of weapons.

I don't know.........but I bet what they did was call HQ with very specific descriptions and locations?....... and all within 8 minutes. "Good Show eh wot?"
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:54 am

Police Community Support Officers (PCSO) are not full-blown police. They are the ones who 'walk the beat' these days, interacting in small but helpful ways with anyone around them, giving street directions, pointing people to railway stations, picking drunks up and pointing them toward home, first attendance at an abandoned car (but NOT in London), domestic dispute - that sort of thing. They are not trained to (nor asked to) deal with dangerous situations - indeed, they'd probably just get in the way - so they are instructed to get themselves out of the way in such cases. Running away is not the correct way to describe that.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:23 pm

On the subject of defeating violence by arming the citizenry, it is worth keeping things in perspective. While the seven deaths are a tragedy, it is a small tragedy compared to so many others. For example, smoking kills about 50,000 people per year in Britain and another 400,000 per year in the USA. Terrorism is very small potatoes indeed, and there is no justification for idiotic over reaction.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:24 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:On the subject of defeating violence by arming the citizenry, it is worth keeping things in perspective. While the seven deaths are a tragedy, it is a small tragedy compared to so many others. For example, smoking kills about 50,000 people per year in Britain and another 400,000 per year in the USA. Terrorism is very small potatoes indeed, and there is no justification for idiotic over reaction.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... eople-die/

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:19 am

Poodle wrote:Police Community Support Officers (PCSO) are not full-blown police.
I've had lots of "run ins" with UK police. In Colchester, I was naughty and the policeman said "I have to do something about this and can't let this go"......so he gave me a lecture on good behaviour and walked me to the train station. :D

In London, I broke into an empty terrace in Olympia, to squat. At 2am there was a tap on the window, three stories up. There was a policeman on a ladder with five other cops outside. I opened the window and said "You better come in" and he said "Thank you". Together we went downstairs and let in the other police. I fully cooperated and they did a handshake deal with me. If I left the following morning and put the front door lock back as it was, they would forget everything. :D

I broke into the Iranian Bank in London after the revolution started and the Iranians had bolted...to squat. This time I was visited by detectives and police. This time they gave me and my friends five days to vacate or they would "be upset and need to come back". (However the landlord sent round some "toughs" who did frighten us.)
:D

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:03 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
It is not the police's fault. It's the terrorists fault for wearing pretend explosive vests. Please don't try blame the police again. It's annoying.

I promise I'll try to be just like you, the pillar of political correctness, an indefeasible fighter for conformity and a reliable supplier of hot air to this forum.

I promise to never criticize the police, government, the ruling clique, the Empire, The Universe and God himself unless... :twisted: the devil will make me do it again.

I need an exorcism complete with holy water and obligatory vomit. I appeal to the expert who knows his holy water and vomit...can you Matthew the one and only specialist from things spiritual do it and keep the secret for ever and ever and ever
and ever. :dil:

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:24 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:It is not the police's fault. It's the terrorists fault for wearing pretend explosive vests. Please don't try blame the police again. It's annoying.

Flash wrote:I promise I'll try to be just like you, the pillar of political correctness, an indefeasible fighter for conformity and a reliable supplier of hot air to this forum.

That's great Flash. Blame innocent policemen for doing their duty saving people's lives, while you sit on your fat arse doing nothing but complaining.

I hope you and VKTW live happily ever after again and both open Twitter accounts like Donald.

Next time some idiot robber, terrorist or lunatic is about to shoot you and a policeman puts his life on the line to save you. I'll say "Don't bother."

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:47 pm

Flash wrote:political correctness

I don't think that term means what you think it means.

Hell, I don't think that term means what pretty much anyone thinks it means.
#ANDAMOVIE

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:02 pm

Flash has a tendency towards irony. I quite like it. It is not political correctness. My personal view is that anything seen as politically correct is grist for the skeptics mill, since so much of it is total crap.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:10 pm

Gord wrote:

You focus on PC and let indefeasible pass?

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:45 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Gord wrote:

You focus on PC and let indefeasible pass?

He's french.
#ANDAMOVIE

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:48 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Flash wrote:
It's the terrorists fault for wearing pretend explosive vests. Please don't try blame the police again. It's annoying. [/color]

LOL (to the sound of the tiny, but authoritarian, little foot stamping.....)
But I had forgotten how deliriously hilarious this forum could be....so thanks.

NMB

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:06 am

supervitor wrote: Hick...burp....hick LOL to the sound of the tiny, but authoritarian, little foot stamping...hic burp.... hick...... NMB
That's great Norma. So you think it's the police's fault........or you are too drunk, again, to remember what the discussion was?

Aren't you dead yet?

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:31 am

Matthew

Flash was not being serious. So don't take it seriously. Please.

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:39 am

Thanks Lance. That's the spirit.

Matthew Ellard wrote:

That's great Flash. Blame innocent policemen for doing their duty saving people's lives, while you sit on your fat arse doing nothing but complaining.

I have a right to a fat arse and complaining. I am retired.

I hope you and VKTW live happily ever after again and both open Twitter accounts like Donald.

That's really sweet of you Matthew. :singnew: "love is all you need" indeed. Good luck on your next anti-islamophobia march in London (don't get stabbed). And Merry Christmas to you too.

Next time some idiot robber, terrorist or lunatic is about to shoot you and a policeman puts his life on the line to save you. I'll say "Don't bother."

I'll let you know when I find myself in a situation like this. We will all stop and I'll let the cop call you and see if you changed your mind. :mrgreen:

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:56 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
supervitor wrote: Hick...burp....hick LOL to the sound of the tiny, but authoritarian, little foot stamping...hic burp.... hick...... NMB
That's great Norma. So you think it's the police's fault........or you are too drunk, again, to remember what the discussion was?

Aren't you dead yet?

I don't' believe I wrote a word about the British police or, as a matter off fact, anything about what has happened , is happening or is about to happen in Britain..
Can you point to anything in my previous post that would indicate my opinion of the actions of the British police?
LOL.. of course not.
But babble on, as is your wont, and is your will; that of a moral dwarf.
A moral dwarf, moreover with an excessively high estrogen level.
NMB
P.S. I am clearly alive...
And I sincerely wish you were too.....making fun of a virtual cadaver of indeterminate sex, a possible hermaphrodite, but certainly epicene when alive , is not the most noble of sports.

NMB

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:00 am

Flash wrote:I have a right to a fat arse and complaining. I am retired.

How do you manage that, Flash.
I am also retired, but I have a bony arse, which hurts if I sit on it too long. My fat migrated to my middle instead. The complaining, we have in common.

Return to “Guns”