Shermer steps in.

Duck and cover
User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 12220
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND
Contact:

Shermer steps in.

Postby JO 753 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:21 pm

Our local god stept into the debate yesterday: http://moralarc.org/guns-in-the-united-states/ Therez nothing new there. More stats. Gunz bad. Comments rapidly piling up from both sidez.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29090
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Shermer steps in.

Postby Gord » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:24 pm

One should take care into what one steps.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 12220
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND
Contact:

Re: Shermer steps in.

Postby JO 753 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:57 pm

Sumbudy needz to, no matter how stinky.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

User avatar
digress
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1692
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:11 am
Custom Title: doomer
Contact:

Re: Shermer steps in.

Postby digress » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:12 am

The point is Shermer likes his statistics and so I'd be more interested in reading his article about his support for the legalization of marijuana and why he smokes weed errday. Please link.

Shermer's logical analysis in showing the faulty thinking between self-defense and lock-box access is not aligned to his built up defense of why guns-r-bad. He overlooked the statistics which revealed how many self-defense cases were lost due to lock-box owners losing invaluable amounts of time during a break in.

But I do appreciate his revealing that 56% (more than half) of Americans think gun violence has increased over the last 20 years when in-fact it's decreased by 75% - homicides down 49% (thats almost half).
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19634
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Shermer steps in.

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:58 am

That thinking wouldn't be somehow related to increased reporting/access and internet use by everyone and their cats and dog...?
Hi, Io the lurker.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10188
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Shermer steps in.

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:03 am

How come Shermer doesn't send a copy of his op ed pieces to this forum just as an fyi?

I forget why but I have the notion this forum is somehow connected to Shermer? Pretty loose absent any contact at all.

I'm not asking for nor criticizing anything. Just noting.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 12220
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND
Contact:

Re: Shermer steps in.

Postby JO 753 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:44 pm

He iz secretly a member & posts all the time.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10188
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Shermer steps in.

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:59 pm

JO 753 wrote:He iz secretly a member & posts all the time.

Maybe its part of the God complex, but I would think posts from da Man would shine uniquely from all the others. I don't see any shining star here. Maybe he only posts after a six pack?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4817
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:22 pm
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk
Location: Detroit
Contact:

Re: Shermer steps in.

Postby Austin Harper » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:01 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:How come Shermer doesn't send a copy of his op ed pieces to this forum just as an fyi?

I forget why but I have the notion this forum is somehow connected to Shermer? Pretty loose absent any contact at all.

I'm not asking for nor criticizing anything. Just noting.

The forum is hosed by The Skeptic Society but Shermer does not post anything on the board.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19634
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Shermer steps in.

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:12 pm

Austin Harper wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:How come Shermer doesn't send a copy of his op ed pieces to this forum just as an fyi?

I forget why but I have the notion this forum is somehow connected to Shermer? Pretty loose absent any contact at all.

I'm not asking for nor criticizing anything. Just noting.

The forum is hosed by The Skeptic Society but Shermer does not post anything on the board.

All wet or panty?
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29090
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Shermer steps in.

Postby Gord » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:09 am

JO 753 wrote:He iz secretly a member & posts all the time.

No we don't, no we don't.

scrmbldggs wrote:
Austin Harper wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:How come Shermer doesn't send a copy of his op ed pieces to this forum just as an fyi?

I forget why but I have the notion this forum is somehow connected to Shermer? Pretty loose absent any contact at all.

I'm not asking for nor criticizing anything. Just noting.

The forum is hosed by The Skeptic Society but Shermer does not post anything on the board.

All wet or panty?

The host dries it with a leaf blower after hosing it.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE


Return to “Guns”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest