Dylann Roof and gun control

Duck and cover
Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: Dylann Roof and gun control

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:33 am

Shot and slugs are two different things, but you can fire single pieces of metal from a shotgun, and we (that is, the people I know) used to call them slugs. My question is, are they called bullet now?

And I'm non-military, but I've also been condemned for calling rifles "guns". Also, for calling chicken "land fish", and calling my mother "Bats".
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Scott Mayers
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Deep

Postby Scott Mayers » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:54 am

I'm guessing that a "slug" would simply refer to the bullet of a round. The distinction is trivial. But if the shotgun uses a round, then I'm guessing that the "slug" would be referred to as the "bullet" if it is machined for a round. I've never been a hunter though so can't speak for certain.
I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:02 am

Shoudnt any projectile hav a different name after it haz hit sumthing? You know, like meteor and meteorite.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:55 am

JO 753 wrote:Shoudnt any projectile hav a different name after it haz hit sumthing? You know, like meteor and meteorite.

Bullite?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:06 am

Scott Mayers wrote:You fire "shot" in shotguns, not slugs. "Slugs" are actually archaic as they were literal single pieces of metal and required prepping the rifle with gunpowder before hand. These would have 'rifling'.

I posted an illustration above of a shotgun slug. It varies from other slugs in that is cased to be fired from a shotgun. "Deer slugs" are not at all archaic.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:42 pm

------------Brainwash victims win cash claims
Karin Goodwin

HUNDREDS of mentally ill patients who were subjected to barbaric CIA-funded brainwashing experiments by a Scottish doctor could be entitled to compensation following a landmark court ruling.

Doctor Ewan Cameron, who became one of the world's leading psychiatrists, developed techniques used by Nazi scientists to wipe out the existing personalities of people in his care.

Cameron, who graduated from Glasgow University, was recruited by the CIA during the cold war while working at McGill University in Montreal, Canada.

He carried out mind-control experiments using drugs such as LSD on hundreds of patients, but only 77 of them were awarded compensation.

Now a landmark ruling by a Federal Court judge in Montreal will allow more than 250 former patients, whose claims were rejected, to seek compensation.
-------------------Using techniques similar to those portrayed in the celebrated novel the Manchurian Candidate, it was believed that people could be brainwashed and reprogrammed to carry out specific acts.

Cameron developed a range of depatterning "treatments" while director of the Allan Memorial Institute at McGill University.

Patients were woken from drug-induced stupors two or three times a day for multiple electric shocks. In a specially designed "sleep room" made famous by Anne Collins's book of the same name, Cameron placed a speaker under the patient's pillow and relayed negative messages for 16 hours a day.
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:48 pm

Some people it more like a light rinse.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:59 pm

Slugs use darts.

Lard, save me from your followers.

Scott Mayers
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Deep

Postby Scott Mayers » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:42 pm

JO 753 wrote:Shoudnt any projectile hav a different name after it haz hit sumthing? You know, like meteor and meteorite.

I have noticed that ancient words actually hint at giving different subject forms and object forms like this. I'm guessing but I believe the Ancient Egyptians used the ending with 'n' to reference where something originates from (subject-like) and 'm' endings for related words that receive or is objective.

At(e)n for "the source" or, properly, a name for the Sun; At(o)m (or Ad(a)m), for "that which follows", "comes after", or "receives from", with the proper name for, "that which is of the Earth" or "that which comes from the Earth".

[Sorry for being off-topic. I've thought of this and know most here like linguistic-related ideas.]
I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:13 am

I still think "Dylann Roof and Gun Control" sounds like the name of a business. I would be hard pressed to guess what exactly they did, though. Do they fix roofs and control guns? Do they control roofs and guns? Are they the central roof and gun repair facility for a wider network? I can only imagine.
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:45 am

Gord wrote:I still think "Dylann Roof and Gun Control" sounds like the name of a business. I would be hard pressed to guess what exactly they did, though. Do they fix roofs and control guns? Do they control roofs and guns? Are they the central roof and gun repair facility for a wider network? I can only imagine.

It's actually Dill and Roof and Gun Control.

Lard, save me from your followers.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:43 am

Early 80z punk band. Got a few singlez in the top 100. Sounded a little like Rose Tatoo but with a hint uv disco. Their main claim to fame wuz that the Def Lepard lyric "its better to burn out than to fade away" wuz inspired by the lead singerz story. Dylann 'Roof' Raufminster made a little money, got a taste uv fame, got lazy. The rest uv the guyz werent particularly talented and still had their day jobz. The band just sorta drifted apart, booking less and less gigz. Faded away to obscurity.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:35 am

"Single Gun Theory" ( I used to date the singer in the late 80s. She cant sing for nuts)
:D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iZC3DrhscI&list=PL80A8D225A469D58E&index=4

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:43 am

JO 753 wrote:Sounded a little like Rose Tatoo but with a hint uv disco.

I was Rose Tattoo's manager. This is now getting weird
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PpzveeXLO8

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:41 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:"Single Gun Theory" ( I used to date the singer in the late 80s. She cant sing for nuts)

She soundz fine to me. Sure its not a sour grapes reaction?
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:48 pm

"We cant be beaten" - thats the stuff! Stir in a little KC & the Sunshine Band and you got Dylann Roof & Gun Control.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:44 pm

Gord wrote:I still think "Dylann Roof and Gun Control" sounds like the name of a business. I would be hard pressed to guess what exactly they did, though. Do they fix roofs and control guns? Do they control roofs and guns? Are they the central roof and gun repair facility for a wider network? I can only imagine.

It's a heavy metal band.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:58 pm

JO 753 wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:"Single Gun Theory" ( I used to date the singer in the late 80s. She cant sing for nuts)

She soundz fine to me. Sure its not a sour grapes reaction?

Nah - Matt's right. She's not exactly pushing those octaves, is she?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:34 am

JO 753 wrote:She soundz fine to me. Sure its not a sour grapes reaction?
Poodle wrote:Nah - Matt's right. She's not exactly pushing those octaves, is she?

Well, put it this way, the ability to sing well isn't really a requirement of the pop industry. However the ability to write good songs is. She was the singer of my band before Single Gun Theory. I was the first person to "throw in the towel" because I simply couldn't write good songs. I was upset for months when I worked that out and decided to concentrate on accounting and studying instead. That was almost thirty years ago.

Some people just have a gift and can write good songs without thinking. I'm still "giving it a go" but doing it the hard way of simply learning to play every song I can and then copying good bits and editing them into new "tunes".

My problem is lyrics. People with "no shame" (entertainers) are happy to write "I love you baby". I can't do that without cringing. My "current lyrical plan" is to pretend I am writing a rock opera about my bookshelves collapsing on me and my cat, Titus, and I "dream the songs" while in an induced coma in hospital. That way I can write lyrics about each book that falls on me and discuss issues with my cat, Titus Germanicus, in song. ( I'm not kidding). This lets me write nonsense lyrics that sound good and let's me develop songs. I try throw in awful puns like "paws for reflection" & "many tails" into lyrics. It allows me to have Julius Caesar, Kim Philby, Ovid and other people from history arguing with Titus my cat over things like manners, warfare, annoying sleeping arrangements, television, and so on.

I will load some of these final mixes, later in the year so you can all laugh at me.
:D

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:01 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:...the ability to sing well isn't really a requirement of the pop industry.

This truth has been readily apparent since even before the birth of the pop industry. ;)
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:46 am

Gord wrote: This truth has been readily apparent since even before the birth of the pop industry. ;)

This is the infamous video of Linda McCartney, where an evil audio technician recorded her back up vocals on their own. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoH9zP_n_g0

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:30 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:...an evil audio technician recorded her back up vocals on their own.

Was it you? :mrgreen:
#ANDAMOVIE

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:16 am

Now thats bad!
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:42 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:...an evil audio technician recorded her back up vocals on their own.
Gord wrote: Was it you? :mrgreen:

Brian Eno got thrown out of Roxy Music by Brian Ferry, because Eno put Brian Ferry's lyrics through "special effects" at a live concert, that made Brian Ferry sound like a chipmunk. Good work Eno. I wish I was there.
Roxy-Music-At-Royal-Colle-008.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:33 pm

why is he evil ? for exposing the truth ? have to wonder what happened to him ?

oh and the gun control thing - if you want a gun - the police and social services should do an interview in your home maybe every 3 years or ?
for the real minority ; there will be no justice , there will be no peace .
makes sense 2me , so it has 2be wrong .

supervitor
Frequent Poster

Postby supervitor » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:34 pm

xouper wrote:In the wake of the insanely tragic South Carolina church shooting, President Obama has called for more gun control.

Some backstory (for those who haven't yet seen it):
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-obama-charleston-shooting-20150618-story.html

I have only one question for the President: Short of trashing the civil liberties of responsible law-abiding Americans, what law do you propose would have prevented Dylann Roof from having the gun he used?

That seeems a very naive question, man. You just have to look at developed countries (you do realise USA is not the only developed nation in the world?)

Look at their gun laws, then at their mass shootings statistics, and voila, you shall have your answer pop up in your brain

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:00 pm

supervitor wrote:
xouper wrote:In the wake of the insanely tragic South Carolina church shooting, President Obama has called for more gun control.

Some backstory (for those who haven't yet seen it):
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-obama-charleston-shooting-20150618-story.html

I have only one question for the President: Short of trashing the civil liberties of responsible law-abiding Americans, what law do you propose would have prevented Dylann Roof from having the gun he used?

That seeems a very naive question, man. You just have to look at developed countries (you do realise USA is not the only developed nation in the world?)

Look at their gun laws, then at their mass shootings statistics, and voila, you shall have your answer pop up in your brain

xouper hasn`t been here for a while. I suspect that he was recalled for NRA `talking points` retraining…

supervitor
Frequent Poster

Postby supervitor » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:43 pm

TJrandom wrote:xouper hasn`t been here for a while. I suspect that he was recalled for NRA `talking points` retraining…

I thought they had stopped doing that? Keep coming back empty-handed (or with the same old 2nd Amendments placs)

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:54 pm

They pretty much keep the same message, but seem to update their ludicrous analogies from time to time, along with their tear-jerk slogans.

Next up, instead of cars and swimming pools – look for occasionally exploding `smart phones` and maybe `milk`, since some do have allergic reactions. And instead of `guns don`t…`, maybe they will switch to `laws don`t…`, or some such nonsense. Gotta protect that 2nd amendment above all else – even the constitution itself.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:16 pm

TJrandom wrote:

xouper hasn`t been here for a while. I suspect that he was recalled for NRA `talking points` retraining…

He's off somewhere making xoup xandwiches.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:01 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:He's off somewhere making xoup xandwiches.

I am appalled by this ad hom attack. That a long time solid member of this respected forum would stoop so low. It's a sure sign of someone who has no actual arguments for their position. I shall contact the administrators to discuss possible actions against this outrage.

(Thats my xouper impression for today.)
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:53 am

Yup - I agree - xoup`s sandwiches are outrageous....

http://www.trendhunter.com/slideshow/ou ... ch-recipes

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:03 am

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:02 am

Problem?

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:01 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Problem?

With gun-shaped smart phone cases? Naw - I`d expect every policeman and semiconscious `good-guy` to make the distinction and not blow kids away when they are reaching for their phones. I mean, it isn`t as if mistakes in identification of guns happens with any frequency, right?

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:58 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Problem?

With gun-shaped smart phone cases? Naw - I`d expect every policeman and semiconscious `good-guy` to make the distinction and not blow kids away when they are reaching for their phones. I mean, it isn`t as if mistakes in identification of guns happens with any frequency, right?

There you go! The NRA has a check in the mail for you. 8-)

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:01 pm

TJrandom wrote:What could possibly go wrong……

404 error. not found. stink link.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:34 pm

JO 753 wrote:
TJrandom wrote:What could possibly go wrong……

404 error. not found. stink link.

Sorry about that – I am now not finding it either. So either they pulled the product, or the nutters depleted their inventory…. But there are others out there….

http://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-i ... -case.html

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/fake-iphone

http://www.dhgate.com/uk/guns-iphone-cover-uk.html

Return to “Guns”