Examples of successful self defense with a gun

Duck and cover
xouper
True Skeptic

Re: Examples of successful self defense with a gun

Postby xouper » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:27 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:I notice the Moroccan on the Thyls (sp?) train successfully defended himself from the passengers who jumped him for no reason.

If you are referring to this incident:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Thalys_train_attack

What point are you trying to make here?

We already know of your contempt for this thread, and for me personally, so is this just another one of your drive-by postings that have no useful contribution to the conversation?

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:37 pm

I couldn't resist the irony. The criminal ended up in the hospital with a gunshot wound to the foot and was arrested. The results could easily have been the opposite of what happened.

More to the point: it is dangerous to walk the streets of certain neighborhoods at 3:00 am, gun or no gun. There are shootings just about every night.

Disclaimer: I am not qualified to discuss self-defense or the use of guns in general. I don't own one and have no experience using one except for one brief lesson from Dad, and that did not go well.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:01 pm

Pyrrho wrote:I couldn't resist the irony.

In that case, well played.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:05 am

Pyrrho wrote: Disclaimer: I am not qualified to discuss self-defense or the use of guns in general. I don't own one and have no experience using one except for one brief lesson from Dad, and that did not go well.

Group Captain Ellard : "That is a firearm. Only professionals touch firearms. You are not a professional"
Young Matthew Ellard : "OK"

( I have never touched a firearm. I can talk about them technically with skill, but I won't touch one.)
:D

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:24 am

You don't have to be afraid of firearms if you have proper training. I spent months learning about safety, handling, assembly and disassembly, before I ever got to fire one. I later referred to the guy who trained me as "Gunny Miyagi".
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:31 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:You don't have to be afraid of firearms if you have proper training. I spent months learning about safety, handling, assembly and disassembly, before I ever got to fire one. I later referred to the guy who trained me as "Gunny Miyagi".

True, but I can partnership with humans, better, in other fields, like admin. Horses for courses. That being said, if the Japs were kicking in the front door... a no choice situation....then I would touch the gun.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:02 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:You don't have to be afraid of firearms if you have proper training. I spent months learning about safety, handling, assembly and disassembly, before I ever got to fire one. I later referred to the guy who trained me as "Gunny Miyagi".

True, but I can partnership with humans, better, in other fields, like admin. Horses for courses. That being said, if the Japs were kicking in the front door... a no choice situation....then I would touch the gun.

I need to be afraid of firearms despite proper training, because my neighbours down the street have one but not the other. One of them checked to see if his shotgun was loaded by pulling the trigger, and blew a hole in his ceiling. Then he claimed it was his uncle's fault for leaving it loaded, and not his own fault for pulling the goddamn trigger.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:39 am

In my case, it's not the firearm that worries me.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:35 pm

Pyrrho wrote:

In my case, it's not the firearm that worries me.

Que?

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:37 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:

"Respect" can be a passable substitute for training. You've picked up enough incidental information here to not be totally stupid around them.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:47 pm

Herez a good gun safety training idea:

You hav a 10ft long electrified wire sticking out uv the barrel uv a gun. the trainee haz to go thru an obstacle course carrying it.

The course woud be hiz home with hiz frenz & family. Anybody who gets touched will get a nasty jolt. Even thingz like the TV, frij, computer coud get zapped.

The idea iz to make it clear that wutever direction the gun iz pointed iz a line uv extreem danjer.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Return to “Guns”