Gun Incident Tax

Duck and cover
JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Gun Incident Tax

Postby JO 753 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:52 pm

I orijinally came up with the idea for this on July 20th 2012 and posted it here in the 2nd Amendment topic. I wanted to just copy paste it into the Firefly forum, kuz they debate gunz there often, but found that the orijinal post here iz not much more than a sentence or 2. Maybe therez more to it later, but that duznt lend itself to copy/paste, so I rote it new.

I think its a good enuf idea to warrant an independent topic here.

Frum the Firefly Fan Forum:

The root uv the problem iz proliferation. This iz obvious, so the obvious idea to ban gunz outrite pops up in debates often, usually az a scare tactic frum NRA pinhedz.

Wut I realized on that date wuz that gunz are effectively a hobby now and that everybody iz subsidizing the real cost uv that hobby. So, why not create a system that movez the entire cost to gun ownerz, advocates and manufacturerz? After all, they tend to be in favor uv self reliance, independance, responsible citizenry etc., so they shoud be happy for a chance to not be freeloaderz anymore.

It woud work alot like insurance. They woud recieve a periodic bill that woud reflect the cost incured during the preceding period frum all the damaj cauzed by gunz. The more deths, robberyz, property damaj, the higher their bill. And bekuz proliferation iz the problem being addressed, the more gunz they own, the higher the bill. And since lobbying organizationz & clubz encourage proliferation, they'd get billz commensurate with their size.

The money woud be used to pay all the expensez created by the incidents. There woud also be a system to compensate familiez uv the deseased, sumthing like 5,000,000$ and similarly hefty payments to crippled victimz on top uv their medical expensez.

This woud be a big relief for emerjensy roomz in bad nayborhoodz, wich currently do much uv the work for free. It woud be great for property damaj casez, such az broken windowz, kuz all youd hav to do iz report it and the cost will be covered insted uv trying to find who fired the bullet.

Wun uv the claimz often made by gun proponents iz that gunz deter crime. So to help pass the GIT, it woud include compensation for wen that actually happenz. Sumbudy shoots a crook, wutever he woud hav gotten away with iz credited to the periodic bill. Save a life, scare off a rapist etc, a big credit iz added. Now how can the NRA complain about that?

The effects uv the GIT will be to demotivate ownership and motivate the NRA and other law jenerating entityz to make lawz that actually work to reduce the number uv shootingz.

I'm sure you all know me well enuf by now to realize that I dont expect this to actually happen. I may be a starry eyed idealist, but I am also well aware uv the stubborn, lojik ignoring nature uv humanz.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Gun Incident Tax

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:59 pm

JO 753 wrote:I orijinally came up with the idea for this on July 20th 2012 and posted it here in the 2nd Amendment topic. I wanted to just copy paste it into the Firefly forum, kuz they debate gunz there often, but found that the orijinal post here iz not much more than a sentence or 2. Maybe therez more to it later, but that duznt lend itself to copy/paste, so I rote it new.

I think its a good enuf idea to warrant an independent topic here.

Frum the Firefly Fan Forum:

The root uv the problem iz proliferation. This iz obvious, so the obvious idea to ban gunz outrite pops up in debates often, usually az a scare tactic frum NRA pinhedz.

Wut I realized on that date wuz that gunz are effectively a hobby now and that everybody iz subsidizing the real cost uv that hobby. So, why not create a system that movez the entire cost to gun ownerz, advocates and manufacturerz? After all, they tend to be in favor uv self reliance, independance, responsible citizenry etc., so they shoud be happy for a chance to not be freeloaderz anymore.

It woud work alot like insurance. They woud recieve a periodic bill that woud reflect the cost incured during the preceding period frum all the damaj cauzed by gunz. The more deths, robberyz, property damaj, the higher their bill. And bekuz proliferation iz the problem being addressed, the more gunz they own, the higher the bill. And since lobbying organizationz & clubz encourage proliferation, they'd get billz commensurate with their size.

The money woud be used to pay all the expensez created by the incidents. There woud also be a system to compensate familiez uv the deseased, sumthing like 5,000,000$ and similarly hefty payments to crippled victimz on top uv their medical expensez.

This woud be a big relief for emerjensy roomz in bad nayborhoodz, wich currently do much uv the work for free. It woud be great for property damaj casez, such az broken windowz, kuz all youd hav to do iz report it and the cost will be covered insted uv trying to find who fired the bullet.

Wun uv the claimz often made by gun proponents iz that gunz deter crime. So to help pass the GIT, it woud include compensation for wen that actually happenz. Sumbudy shoots a crook, wutever he woud hav gotten away with iz credited to the periodic bill. Save a life, scare off a rapist etc, a big credit iz added. Now how can the NRA complain about that?

The effects uv the GIT will be to demotivate ownership and motivate the NRA and other law jenerating entityz to make lawz that actually work to reduce the number uv shootingz.

I'm sure you all know me well enuf by now to realize that I dont expect this to actually happen. I may be a starry eyed idealist, but I am also well aware uv the stubborn, lojik ignoring nature uv humanz.

Why pay for a divorce, when you can split the loot with a hitman for taking out your spouse as long as the aforementioned hitter uses a gun?

Whenever there is money to be made by gaming the system, people will game the system.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:06 am

Ho {!#%@} JO, this will not go well with a few of gun fanatics we have on the forum.

OK boys, hit it. Get hysterical.
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:09 am

Flash wrote:Ho {!#%@} JO, this will not go well with a few of gun fanatics we have on the forum.

OK boys, hit it. Get hysterical.

No need. This encapsulates the guns debate, whichever side you take.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:43 am

A case coud be made that Warner Brotherz Studioz iz responsible for the majority uv the problem.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Scott Mayers
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Deep

Postby Scott Mayers » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:23 am

I think the kid from here could have helped to demonstrate how a gun could have been more convenient than simply using a lousy knife. :roll: At least if this was the U.S., this boy's father wouldn't have to bother with buying the worker a new rope! :befuddled:
Last edited by Scott Mayers on Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:33 am

You're right, JO 753. Nothing will come of your idea.I'm sorry to say.
So I came up with an even better idea to make money: small, child-size coffins available in their school colors. Now, parents and friends can lower the tiny corpses into the ground while showing pride in the school in which they were shot.
Any investors?

edit: ok I didn't come up with school color-themed caskets, but we might as well do something about it. Making a profit off the senseless deaths of kids is the American way!
{!#%@} trump!

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:57 am

OK Ruben. I recognize a master when I see him. You beat us all to the gold medal in gross and inappropriate humor.

And as an appendix to your eloquent post I would suggest that all kindergarten students be armed with Uzis after all as the recent incident in Nevada proves, they can sure handle the toy. The shooting instructors would have to be replaced often but that is just the matter of hiring the ones that have really nothing to lose. ;)
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:01 am

Flash wrote:OK Ruben. I recognize a master when I see him. You beat us all to the gold medal in gross and inappropriate humor.

I dunno, I thought it was appropriate.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:01 am

Gord wrote:
Flash wrote:OK Ruben. I recognize a master when I see him. You beat us all to the gold medal in gross and inappropriate humor.

I dunno, I thought it was appropriate.

Gross and inappropriate humor is appropriate.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:30 pm

Thats wut I wuz going to say!!!
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

clarsct
Frequent Poster

Postby clarsct » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:02 am

Fatal Flaw 1: the criminal element isn't ever going to pay that tax/bill.
Fatal Flaw 2: encourages vigilantism.
Fatal Flaw 3: How does one count crimes prevented?
When Religion becomes State, and breaking the Law becomes a Sin, then Dissenters will become Heretics.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:06 am

clarsct wrote:Fatal Flaw 1: the criminal element isn't ever going to pay that tax/bill.

Fatal Flaw 3... You want gun owners to pay a tax every time a person is not shot? Somehow, I don`t think they will agree to this.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:30 pm

TJrandom wrote:
clarsct wrote:Fatal Flaw 1: the criminal element isn't ever going to pay that tax/bill.

Fatal Flaw 3... You want gun owners to pay a tax every time a person is not shot? Somehow, I don`t think they will agree to this.

Fatal Flaw 5: Counting. It's harder than it looks. :P
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:08 pm

The overall stratejy iz to reduce proliferation. The criminalz will find it harder & harder to get gunz & ammo. That they will get hit with a tax evasion count if they get caught iz further discourajment agenst having a gun.

How?

Thats a puzzle for the NRA to figure out.

Do the ownerz get a credit wen a Jewelry store owner shoots a crook or will hiz medical bill exceed the amount he tried to steal?
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:04 pm

Gord wrote:
TJrandom wrote:

Please try to keep up. That was intended as `re: FF-3` (I do hope that you can figure this one out.)

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:53 pm

Sorry TJ, but youre the wun who iznt keeping up.

Gun ownerz woud get a credit wen a crime iz prevented, including 'not getting shot' az you put it. Gord raized the question uv how to count that, wich iz certainly prone to be very confuzing if both the good guyz and the bad guyz hav gunz. Even more so wen its bad guyz vs bad guyz!

But calling that a fatal flaw in the GIT iz a mistake.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:08 pm

JO 753 wrote:But calling that a fatal flaw in the GIT iz a mistake.

As Shakespeare said "A skunk by any other name . . "

But I will agree with one thing - it is not best practice to say it's a fatal flaw, it is more correct to say 'one fatal flaw among many'.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:35 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Gord wrote:
TJrandom wrote:

Please try to keep up. That was intended as `re: FF-3` (I do hope that you can figure this one out.)

Fatal Flaw 6: Presentation. :mrgreen:
#ANDAMOVIE

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:57 pm

JO wrote:The overall stratejy iz to reduce proliferation. The criminalz will find it harder & harder to get gunz & ammo. That they will get hit with a tax evasion count if they get caught iz further discourajment agenst having a gun.

Yes, because we all know that criminals that are willing to shoot people pay their taxes religiously.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:59 pm

fromthehills wrote:
JO wrote:The overall stratejy iz to reduce proliferation. The criminalz will find it harder & harder to get gunz & ammo. That they will get hit with a tax evasion count if they get caught iz further discourajment agenst having a gun.

Yes, because we all know that criminals that are willing to shoot people pay their taxes religiously.

Exactly - just like the megachurches do!

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:27 am

See it frum a prosecutorz perspectiv. Tax evasion haz alwayz been an eazy win.

I hate to keep repeating the same point, but: proliferation!
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

clarsct
Frequent Poster

Postby clarsct » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:43 am

JO 753 wrote:

The overall stratejy iz to reduce proliferation. The criminalz will find it harder & harder to get gunz & ammo. That they will get hit with a tax evasion count if they get caught iz further discourajment agenst having a gun.

How is that? How does making a tax on gun owners make ammo and guns harder to get? I missed something.

How?

It encourages people to go out and prevent crimes, possibly with lethal force.

Thats a puzzle for the NRA to figure out.

Do the ownerz get a credit wen a Jewelry store owner shoots a crook or will hiz medical bill exceed the amount he tried to steal?

Tsk tsk. It is for the framers of the law to figure out. As you are presenting this hypothetical law, the burden of figuring that out is yours.

How do we know what the crook would've stolen? How do you account for the amount he would've gotten away with? He didn't get away with anything, but could've gotten away with everything. So, what's the number? 20%? 75%? How would anyone even suppose to guess?
When Religion becomes State, and breaking the Law becomes a Sin, then Dissenters will become Heretics.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:14 am

Dat be easy... said criminal didn`t get away with nuttin - so the tax consequence be nuttin.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:36 pm

clarsct wrote:How is that? How does making a tax on gun owners make ammo and guns harder to get? I missed something.

Less peeps willing to own gunz = less demand. Less demand = less gunz & bullets produst. The price uv new stuff will eventually start to go up, further redusing the number uv peeps willing to pay.

Coupled with a jenerous buy back program = dropping proliferation. This may actually be an essential component to prevent discount uzed gunz frum falling into the handz uv thoze who don't intend to pay the tax anyway.

That duznt make any sense. Sumwun iz going to prowl the streets with a gun in hopes uv thwarting a crime in order to chop a penny off their GIT bill?

Tsk tsk. It is for the framers of the law to figure out. As you are presenting this hypothetical law, the burden of figuring that out is yours.

A big part uv the GIT idea iz to invert the NRAz lobbying efforts to put a gun in every hand & get thoze bullets flying. They will insted push for lawz that help keep shooting insidents frum costing them and their constituents money.

The crime prevention credit iz mainly to expoze the lie they base everything on. Its basicly lojikl & fair, but in practical application, you can see its really a can uv wormz. If the law were to actually be considered, this iz a provision that woud need to be thrashed out in detail by the interested partyz. Certainly the ALEC and NRA lawyerz woud try to twist it into sum rediculous way to defeat the entire intent uv the GIT, but they'd be doing that anyway with the hole thing.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

clarsct
Frequent Poster

Postby clarsct » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:21 am

JO 753 wrote:
clarsct wrote:How is that? How does making a tax on gun owners make ammo and guns harder to get? I missed something.

Less peeps willing to own gunz = less demand. Less demand = less gunz & bullets produst. The price uv new stuff will eventually start to go up, further redusing the number uv peeps willing to pay.

Coupled with a jenerous buy back program = dropping proliferation. This may actually be an essential component to prevent discount uzed gunz frum falling into the handz uv thoze who don't intend to pay the tax anyway.

I think you're confusing supply and demand. Less demand means more supply, which means plummeting prices for guns and ammo.

That duznt make any sense. Sumwun iz going to prowl the streets with a gun in hopes uv thwarting a crime in order to chop a penny off their GIT bill?

Um. Yes. Have you been in the US? People would band together to get out of paying taxes, especially if it involves shooting.

A big part uv the GIT idea iz to invert the NRAz lobbying efforts to put a gun in every hand & get thoze bullets flying. They will insted push for lawz that help keep shooting insidents frum costing them and their constituents money.

The crime prevention credit iz mainly to expoze the lie they base everything on. Its basicly lojikl & fair, but in practical application, you can see its really a can uv wormz. If the law were to actually be considered, this iz a provision that woud need to be thrashed out in detail by the interested partyz. Certainly the ALEC and NRA lawyerz woud try to twist it into sum rediculous way to defeat the entire intent uv the GIT, but they'd be doing that anyway with the hole thing.

In practical application, it is a hot mess. If you're putting it forward as a thought experiment, that is one thing, but as an actual law, you'd have to hammer out what all of this means in dollars and cents. Until you do that, it is pragmatically useless.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:35 pm

clarsct wrote:I think you're confusing supply and demand. Less demand means more supply, which means plummeting prices for guns and ammo.

No. Less demand duznt = more supply. Higher cost = less demand.

In practical application, it is a hot mess.

Iznt everything after it gets rammed thru our lejislativ prosess? Gold in, garbaj out!
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:06 pm

Just put it up on the Care2 petition website.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/310/930/268/gun-incident-tax/

I'm sure you will be happy to sine it, FTH. Dont forget to tell all your frendz!
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:55 pm

JO 753 wrote:Just put it up on the Care2 petition website.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/310/930/268/gun-incident-tax/

I'm sure you will be happy to sine it, FTH. Dont forget to tell all your frendz!

Ah, JO - don`t you think that you should be the FIRST to sign it? :oops:

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:50 pm

JO 753 wrote:Gun Incident tax

Howdy Jo. I think this is a good idea, as an exercise, but we need to look at other models. I read the replies by other members, to your original detailed proposal and they have clearly identified problems. I am thinking of other existing tax schemes that could be applicable.

Tax on cigarettes / Tax on bullets
A packet of 20 cigarettes in Australia is about $20USD, generating $11.20 tax for the federal reserve. The tax revenue goes to the general fund and is not isolated for "cigarette related issues". However our "medicare" levy of 1.5% on gross personal income is isolated directly for health and hospitals.

If a tax on bullets was imposed to meet "gun related" related public costs, then I think that would be possible. However I think you need to set out on paper exactly what the public related costs are. The problem is that we can't interfere with "one on one" civil actions that would normally go through the court. ( That's the complex bit)

Additionally, Fromthehills, explained how he makes his own bullets and that is another weakness in taxing bullets. A taxation system has to be economically efficient to apply.
You cant spend a billion dollars, to raise a billion dollars and one cent in tax, as that would be silly.

I'm going to think about other systems over the net couple of days simply for "the sport of it". I have no opinion concerning gun control in another country that has very different traditions to Australia. You Yanks have to work that out for yourselves, as it's your country.

Taxation on Cigarettes / International Comparatives (2013).
http://www.who.int/tobacco/surveillance ... rofile/en/

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:06 am

As far as I can see from a few second's worth of Googling, there's already a 10%/11% tax on the purchase of guns and ammunition in the US. Increase it - there's your revenue.

That seems obvious but far too simple. What's wrong with it?

(For what it's worth, I'd increase it to about 200%, but then I'm a Brit and conditions here are very different).

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:13 am

Poodle wrote:As far as I can see from a few second's worth of Googling, there's already a 10%/11% tax on the purchase of guns and ammunition in the US. Increase it - there's your revenue. That seems obvious but far too simple. What's wrong with it?
Excellent. Give me time to do some reading.

The original Act
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act

Current legislation.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/ ... chapter-53

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:33 am

The problem with gun & bullet purchase taxez iz that they arent directly linked to the havoc they cauze.

The real world cost uv a bullet variez from about 20 cents to 10,000,000$ or so. A dollar tax on a 20 cent bullet meanz nothing. It will have zero effect on the NRA and their efforts to put a gun in every hand.

Dont think uv the GIT az a single law to cover all conditionz & situationz. Think uv it az a basis for policy. The basic envirement in which all other lawz would need to exist in.

The current mess started with the 2nd amendment and the lobbyists bilt this envirement upon it. Its a jungle uv federal, state and local lawz that do more to motivate gun ownership than anything else.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:44 am

TJrandom wrote:Ah, JO - don`t you think that you should be the FIRST to sign it? :oops:

Didnt realize I coud!
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

clarsct
Frequent Poster

Postby clarsct » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:29 am

JO 753 wrote:The problem with gun & bullet purchase taxez iz that they arent directly linked to the havoc they cauze.

The real world cost uv a bullet variez from about 20 cents to 10,000,000$ or so. A dollar tax on a 20 cent bullet meanz nothing. It will have zero effect on the NRA and their efforts to put a gun in every hand.

Dont think uv the GIT az a single law to cover all conditionz & situationz. Think uv it az a basis for policy. The basic envirement in which all other lawz would need to exist in.

The current mess started with the 2nd amendment and the lobbyists bilt this envirement upon it. Its a jungle uv federal, state and local lawz that do more to motivate gun ownership than anything else.

Hmmmmmm.

Then the same types of tax could also be applied to vehicles, alcohol, recreational drugs, and an assortment of other activities and objects.

Taxing the object does little good. Objects do not significantly affect human behavior. Human desires and needs do.

Taxing a sale is easy. If you want to fix gun violence, you need to dig deeper.

Over and over the object is blamed, as though it is responsible. No object, aside from a sentient robot, can be. (Debating if a sentient robot can still be considered an 'object' is a different thread.) People are responsible. If you want to stop these shootings from happening, then you need to treat people.

Taking Sudafed may reduce the symptoms of a sinus infection, but an antibiotic cures the disease. It seems like you're trying to sell Sudafed.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:47 am

In light of the recent murders of the two NYPD officers, the 2nd amendment-loving right has made it acceptable to blame other people who had nothing to do with the actual commission of the crime. So each time there is a new shooting, we should not be looking at what caused it, but instead looking for whom to blame. The actual shooter gets a free pass.
I like JO 753's idea but instead of punishing gun owners (of which I am one), we should make the NRA and each politician who refuses to pass meaningful legislation or who votes against such legislation concerning firearms responsible for the financial burdens that come with it.
{!#%@} trump!

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:20 am

IMO – if in order to be able to their sell guns, the manufacturers needed to contribute to an industry-wide victims fund at a percentage contribution matched to their sales volume – you would quickly see manufacturers implementing their own limitations on ownership as well as gun type.

The fund could operate much as insurance companies do – say paying more for young and random victims, less for adults living in the same household as their assailant, etc.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:36 am

The first fundamental problem is separating "domestic" from "international military sales" and that's not going to be easy, if even possible.

Secondly, no one has described "who" get compensated for "what", so I'm very unsure how this revenue is meant to be distributed. I can't see any logical system that doesn't interfere with the existing civil courts.

If we are simply talking about a punitive tax to reduce demand, then we have to review consumer demand categories and robbers probably have an inelastic demand curve, as the price increases.

Oddly, I am thinking about "Highwaymen" in the UK. (1700 to 1800AD). They became Highwaymen because they could afford the cost of a pistol and were also educated to read and write, (as they had to read negotiable notes, like cheques, as people didn't carry currency when travelling between cities.....because of robbers).

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:30 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:Secondly, no one has described "who" get compensated for "what",

You are usually very good at getting to the meat uv a matter, but it looks like you may hav not red the actual GIT propozal.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:14 am

I think the gun owners should have to be required to get insurance just like the car owners. You hit somebody with your car, you get sued for million bucks, your insurance takes the battle forward.

It should be the same with guns. Your ten years old imbecile progeny takes your gun to school and shoots the teacher, you get sued, your insurance should step in.

That way if you can afford insurance you have the right to own the gun.

It's a win/win situation. The inheritors of the victim get rich, so do the corporations that do the thieving, sorry insurance.

Return to “Guns”