Death metal is hyper-religious

Weird things people do.
Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Death metal is hyper-religious

Postby Monster » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:00 pm

It dawned on me today that death metal is hyper-religious music. The reason why is because of all of the pro-Satan stuff in the music. Satanic music is religious music. And not just death metal but black metal too, and all of the other subgenres of Satanic metal music. I spent a substantial portion of my life listening to religious music and I didn't realize it. It makes me wonder about what music could possibly be more religious. The only one I can think of right now is gospel music.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Re: Death metal is hyper-religious

Postby JO 753 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:24 pm

Wun uv my fave bandz iz named Metal Church, but they arent about relijun or Satan.

Now you got me thinking about it, I cant really classify their lyrics beyond 'social commentary'. They dont do luv songz. No sex songz. Sum uv their best are about doomzday.

They hav at least 1 thats about relijun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUMQbhlruF0
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:20 pm

JO 753 wrote:Wun uv my fave bandz iz named Metal Church, but they arent about relijun or Satan.
I saw Metal Church live a few years decades ago. It was The Dark tour where they opened for Metallica. When they finished, the drummer came out to hand off his sticks to the crowd. He gave them to me because I was the only women anywhere near the stage. :mrgreen: The next day, I had an epic bruise across my lower ribs from repeatedly being shoved up against the stage barrier. Totally worth it! Image
https://youtu.be/OA1LXTjqbo8
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

OutOfBreath
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer

Postby OutOfBreath » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:07 am

Well, there really are different schools in metal. I always thought the "hail satan" ones were really just validating christianity by accepting the narrative but just rooting for the other team. Then there's those who promote satanism more philosophically as a form of independent thought and sort of embrace the label from christians. And there are those completely secular but with deep anger against the wrongs of religion or just indifferent to that subject.

For the philosophical angle i recommend Ulver with their recording and putting meody to william blake's "the marriage if heaven and hell". Or to quote the brilliant swedish band ghost as heard live: "Rock and roll is the celebration of the female orgasm" before playing their song "come together". :)

Peace
Dan
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

Return to “Popular Culture”