Is cleanliness really next to godliness?

Weird things people do.
Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Is cleanliness really next to godliness?

Postby Flash » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:42 am

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/mar/08/shower-once-a-week-polluting-environment

How many showers or baths do you take per week? One every day? Not necessary and harmful to you and the environment says the author of the article in The Guardian. Upon going through a hard nosed data on the waste of water and soap and the damage to the skin and hair, he (or she, I couldn't figure it out) goes on a crusade against washing and says:
I shower once a week. Here’s why you should too

Apparently we use about 60 liters of water for the shower and 80 L for the bath and end up with the detergents in the soap
damaging our skin and hair. He/she did a detailed research, in the depth of the Amazon no less, on the subject and discovered that the Yamamodo Indians who don't take any hot showers and who don't wash their hair ever have a perfect complexion, lovely hair and smell like spring flowers.

I was really impressed by this article and told my wife that I wanted to be like the Yamamodo and didn't need any hot showers any more but out of the consideration for her I agree to take a one minute bath per week in our local creek but only in the summer.

To which my wife replied that if I don't take at least one hot shower per week she is going to pack her things and go to her sister's and also that she will take our cats and a dog with her to protect them from catching something awful from me. :shock:
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Re: Is cleanliness really next to godliness?

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:55 am

Hi, Io the lurker.

OutOfBreath
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer

Postby OutOfBreath » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:25 am

Emptiness is loneliness and loneliness is cleanliness and cleanliness is godlyness and god is empty, just like me. :singnew:

Peace
Dan
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:32 am

Must be............. cause I'm fairly dirty.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:52 am

I only bathe once every three years, but I use up an entire Great Lake when I do. I also club baby seals.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:01 am

Following the tradition of the great philosophers, I rub myself in olive oil and, from time to time, scrape off the dust and dirty that got stuck.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:54 pm

actually it refers to cleansing your aura which you cleanse when you wash....you then rid yourself of negative energy you have accumulated on your physical and non-physical bodies.....junkies don't like to wash because they get a bigger high when they haven't washed...---the layers of negative energy...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:37 pm

gorgeous wrote:actually it refers to cleansing your aura which you cleanse when you wash....you then rid yourself of negative energy you have accumulated on your physical and non-physical bodies.....junkies don't like to wash because they get a bigger high when they haven't washed...---the layers of negative energy...

It's amazing how much BS an expert can get into so few words.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:36 am

ElectricMonk wrote:Following the tradition of the great philosophers, I rub myself in olive oil and, from time to time, scrape off the dust and dirty that got stuck.

I've always wanted to do that "as an experiment/experience". I don't recall reading about scrapping with olive oil and a "strigil" but I assume its often done to those in the know? I'd want a long steam bath thereafter as well.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:54 am

I only bathe as much as I need to... a couple of times a day in the summer if I am working and sweating a lot and less frequently in the winter months, but rarely miss a day. Bathing is about cleanliness, but also about relaxing - and not offending the sensibilities of others. Goats don`t bathe as frequently and can be detected at some distance.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:06 am

Love the stink.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:23 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Love the stink.

I don`t find it offensive on goats and other farm animals, but with people in public places... quite.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:45 am

Flash wrote:How many showers or baths do you take per week? One every day? Not necessary and harmful to you and the environment says the author of the article in The Guardian.
I have read this before and it's probably true. However, I simply "smell" after a day. It's more about smelling nice for others.

Imagine the last 5,000 years of history. Every human "stunk". Period dramas and films showing beautifully dressed people, don't relate the "pong" of those same people. However, I understand that "pong" was natural.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:36 am

It's said those in the nicer outfits used this.
Hi, Io the lurker.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:22 am

Hi, Io the lurker.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:50 am

scrmbldggs wrote:...and prior to that...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Popular Culture”