Solar panels suck up all of the sun light

Weird things people do.
Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Solar panels suck up all of the sun light

Postby Flash » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:29 pm

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/us-town-rejects-solar-panels-amid-fears-they-suck-up-all-the-energy-from-the-sun/ar-BBnx0yG?li=AAggFp5&ocid=SK2MDHP

A US town has rejected a proposal for a solar farm following public concerns.

Members of the public in Woodland, North Carolina, expressed their fear and mistrust at the proposal to allow Strata Solar Company to build a solar farm off Highway 258.

During the Woodland Town Council meeting, one local man, Bobby Mann, said solar farms would suck up all the energy from the sun and businesses would not go to Woodland, the Roanoke-Chowan News Herald reported.

Jane Mann, a retired science teacher, said she was concerned the panels would prevent plants in the area from photosynthesizing, stopping them from growing.

Ms Mann said she had seen areas near solar panels where plants are brown and dead because they did not get enough sunlight.

She also questioned the high number of cancer deaths in the area, saying no one could tell her solar panels didn't cause cancer.

Bobby Mann and Jane Mann the science teacher, perhaps related, will not go into the annals ( dustbin) of history as especially enlightened.
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

Frank Hoffman
Poster
Custom Title: Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Re: Solar panels suck up all of the sun light

Postby Frank Hoffman » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:39 am

If we install enough solar panels and they suck up enough sunlight, we can use them to overcome global warming... and then it would be OK to burn as much fossil fuel as we want! And the smog could protect us from UV light, so the cancer risk from the solar panels would be offset as well. :)

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:06 am

Yeap, Frank. Yours are the revolutionary ideas we all need. :good: ;)
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:26 am

We need to ban Bobby and Jane Mann before they suck up all the oxygen!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:12 am

ouch - that hurts. It really does.

It's fascinating how some people think that darkness is the opposite of light, and that solar panels are like 'darkness candles' ....

Let's park a geosynchronous solar array over their town to prove them right!
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:00 am

The reason plants surrounding solar panels are brown, is because herbicides are used to kill those plants - so that they do not grow high enough to block sunlight from reaching the panels.

It is really good that the teacher is retired - just think of the damage to the kids...

Return to “Popular Culture”