Good/Bad New Moviez

Weird things people do.
JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Re: Good/Bad New Moviez

Postby JO 753 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:21 pm

I saw that way back in the 70z! Dont remember much, so I'll see it again.

natzez? Hmmmm. It woud be NoTSEZ, NoTZES or NoTZEZ.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:34 pm

Monster wrote:I just saw the movie Fantastic Planet last night as a DVD from Netflix. It's from 1973. Holy crap, what an awesome movie! Best movie I've seen in ages.

Fragment of the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys8AkwMRvgo

Definitely try to watch the movie in French. On the DVD it's got French and English.

Very, very classy movie. :tup: I saw it in the Naval Hospital at San Diego. The corpsmen passed me some weed.

Saw Captain America: First Avenger Friday. It was a comic book, but a fun comic book. And the "insider jokes" were rampant if you're a WWII historian. The super-secret Nazi gizmos are everywhere.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:07 am

Monster wrote:I just saw the movie Fantastic Planet last night as a DVD from Netflix. It's from 1973. Holy crap, what an awesome movie! Best movie I've seen in ages.

I saw Fantastic Planet when it came out. It was put on as a double feature with an acid surf film "Morning of the Earth". I went with my parents.

There are quite alot of obscure foreign science fiction films, shorts and features that float around. My brother Thomas, teaches film at University of NSW and he suggests which films the National Film & TV Archive office should acquire copies of. Most are terrible, a few are good, the best are just weird.

Below is a great "social comment" SF film in the same way as Fantastic Planet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kin-dza-dza!
(It sort of means from "here to here")

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:47 am

Anybody ever read William Tenn's story about how humans might reach the stars, as "rats" in the walls of giant alien's spaceships? That story may have inspired "Fantastic Planet", it was a hit when it came out, before the movie was made by years.

Martin Brock
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Martin Brock » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:32 pm

I saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes yesterday. It was definitely worth the price, much better than the last Apes movie. Unlike Tim Burton's attempt to revive the franchise, this one will succeed in droves.
People associating freely respect norms of their choice, and relationships governed this way are necessarily interdependent.

More central authorities conquer by dividing, imposing norms channeling the value of synergy toward themselves.

"Every man for himself" is the prescription of a state, not a free community. A state protects the poor from the rich only in fairy tales.

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Monster » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:08 pm

Saw Captain America last night. It was fun, but it's actually a generic Hollywood action movie. I await the future movies, Captain North America, Capitán Peru, and Capitaine Quebec!
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:20 pm

Monster wrote:Saw Captain America last night. It was fun, but it's actually a generic Hollywood action movie. I await the future movies, Captain North America, Capitán Peru, and Capitaine Quebec!

As a WWII hysterian I was amused by the "secret Nazi aircraft" and other inside jokes. The person(s) who put them in know(s) the mythology of Nazi Germany rather well. There are some great screenshots pending from that movie.

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Monster » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:59 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
Monster wrote:Saw Captain America last night. It was fun, but it's actually a generic Hollywood action movie. I await the future movies, Captain North America, Capitán Peru, and Capitaine Quebec!

As a WWII hysterian I was amused by the "secret Nazi aircraft" and other inside jokes. The person(s) who put them in know(s) the mythology of Nazi Germany rather well. There are some great screenshots pending from that movie.

Which ones, specifically? The rocket propeller thing? The flying wing? The little bomb shaped fighter thingies? And are you a real hysterian? Or an amateur historian?

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Monster » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:02 pm

Regarding Fantastic Planet, I posted a video in another thread from Sean Lennon with a cartoon obviously derived from Fantastic Planet. I really like it. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qygCpU6MKZg

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:58 pm

Monster wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:

Which ones, specifically? The rocket propeller thing? The flying wing? The little bomb shaped fighter thingies? And are you a real hysterian? Or an amateur historian?

I have my Master's in History from Purdue, '04. I am co-owner of the largest WWII document sites on the internet (acknowledged by the Wall Street Journal and the National Archives, among others), that kind of hysterian.

And yeah, all those aircraft have been in the Nazi mythology for quite a while, in one form or another. None of them flew in combat AFAIK, however, and most never left the drawing boards.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:08 pm

Martin Brock wrote:I saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes yesterday. It was definitely worth the price, much better than the last Apes movie. Unlike Tim Burton's attempt to revive the franchise, this one will succeed in droves.

The SFX come from Weta in New Zealand. They spent buckets getting computer monkeys "right" in the remake of King Kong and are now going for profit by remaking all the Planet of the Apes films. You have to agree that this is a somewhat unusual "I.P. capital inverstment". Good luck to them. I'm looking forward to seeing the film.

Octochill

Postby Octochill » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:06 pm

I watched Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, very overrated. Don't believe the hype....

:shock:

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Monster » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:29 pm

Saw Dr. Who: Planet of Evil.

Lovely.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:35 am

Monster wrote:Saw Dr. Who: Planet of Evil.

Lovely.

Good for you! Tom Baker rules as the Doctor.

The new Torchwood series "Miracle Day" is a US co production. I stopped watching the early Torchwood series as a "bit too silly" but the editing pace of the co-production has been slowed down and the producer is letting a real science fiction story develop. I don't like the "new new" Dr Who's as they concentrate on fast pace, SPX and "out of the blue" remedies. However there have been a couple winning single episodes.

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Monster » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:00 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Monster wrote:Saw Dr. Who: Planet of Evil.

Lovely.

Good for you! Tom Baker rules as the Doctor.

The new Torchwood series "Miracle Day" is a US co production. I stopped watching the early Torchwood series as a "bit too silly" but the editing pace of the co-production has been slowed down and the producer is letting a real science fiction story develop. I don't like the "new new" Dr Who's as they concentrate on fast pace, SPX and "out of the blue" remedies. However there have been a couple winning single episodes.

I've only seen the very first of the "new new" Dr. Whos, so I can't say much yet. I didn't particularly like the first episode, but I'm going to watch a few more before I make a judgement.

Tom Baker was indeed the best Doctor.

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Monster » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:13 pm

Saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes. 'Twas fun. Not spectacular. And I noticed that Draco Malfoy was in it, who spoke with a very convincing American accent.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0271657/

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Monster » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:56 pm

Saw the new Conan flick last week.

Summary: Boobs. Muscles. Swords. Blood. Monsters. Grunting dialogue. Chicks. "Good guys" win. Lots of killing.

It was an ok movie. Not great. I especially liked the evil witch woman.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:44 pm

Boobz! I'm there, dude! :D

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Postby rickoshay85 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:07 pm

Octochill wrote:I watched Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, very overrated. Don't believe the hype....

:shock:

Alas...Ape movies just haven't been the same after Roddy, Kim, Heston and Maurice Evens died, especially Maurice.
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO. John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:52 pm

rickoshay85 wrote:Alas...Ape movies just haven't been the same after Roddy, Kim, Heston and Maurice Evens died, especially Maurice.
It was superb casting. ( You left out James Whitmore). I have the 1977 Cinemafantastique magazine special on the Planet of the Apes. The director Shaffner though he was making a political anti-religous film. Rod Serling beamed down to earth just long enough to kick off the screenplay. I was not impressed with the Tim Burton remake.

Great opening for "Planet of the Apes (1968)"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB74Wxp8BWw

Did you watch "Lost in Space" on TV? Do you remember the Jupiter II crashing on a planet in Series 1? It is exactly the same sound FX and location as the crash in Planet of the Apes. I wonder which came first?

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:55 am

Probably Lost in Space since ran frum 65 to 68.

Interesting stuff in the Trivia at IMDB

June Lockhart had the biggest parking space on the 20th Century-Fox lot because she would often drive her favorite vehicle to work - a 1913 fire truck.

Bunyip
Regular Poster

Postby Bunyip » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:14 am

In the original "Mechanic" (1972) the apprentice hit-man was played by Jan Michael Vincent.

In the original, the apprentice succeeds in killing his teacher,by ingeniously poisoning him. But,the apprentice still gets blown up in the car. The house does not. The original is a superior film.. Charles Bronson is more quietly menacing and believably sophisticated than Jason Statham and Jan Michael Vincent is great as junior;so innocent-but-evil.

Trivia; Jill Ireland, who played the prostitute, was Bronson's real-life wife. She featured in many of his films.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mechan ... 72_film%29

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone seen the new flick "The Guard"? The reviewers say it's hilarious. (assuming you liked "In Brugues)
Man is not so much a rational animal as a rationalising one.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:44 am

Bunyip wrote:Trivia; Jill Ireland, who played the prostitute, was Bronson's real-life wife.

I loved her in that thing I saw her in: Star Trek
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Monster » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:13 pm

I just saw An American Carol, the "rightwinger" propaganda movie from a few years ago. It was actually very funny at first, but it rapidly slipped into sucking ass mode. It made a few good points but overall, was boring.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:43 am

Watchmen

I heard the theatrical version stunk, but the directorz kut wuz good. So I got it on BR since it wuznt available at the librery. It wuz OK az I woct it, altho I got a little bored by the meandering plot, plus its over 3 owrz. Good acting, action, special effects, cinimatography etc. Nothing at fault in the execution uv the film, but.... It shrinks on you.

Yes! Thats wut I mean - the oppozit uv growz on you! Over the last 2 dayz I realized that most uv the karaktrz are dispicable, the alternate Earth theyve created iz glum and depressing, the story iz anti-inspiring. Its based on a comic, so I suppoze sum fanz must think its terrific. Left a bad taste in my brain.

The Adjustment Bureau I like. Good movie to wash the Watchmen stench away. They get sum powerful atmosfere and story strength with a few very simple special effects. Az far out az the premise iz, they make it believable without doing alot uv work.

Now I know wut happened with my keyz in 2004!

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Monster » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:42 pm

Saw Contagion last night. 'Twas ok. Wasn't actually scary. For some reason, it had a lot more big name celebrities than most movies.

And by the way, I loved Watchmen. :)

EDIT: I just remembered. There's a wooist in Contagion. He was profiting from the disease and the deaths of millions. He was a conspiracy theorist who accused the makers of the vaccine to be liars, and he promoted a homeopathic cure. He made millions of dollars promoting the homeopathic cure, and it was killing people since they avoided the vaccine. When I saw that, it made me think of Jenny McCarthy and Alex Jones. Alex Jones is directly profiting from his conspiracy garbage, but I don't know if McCarthy is.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:08 pm

Well, PM me your name & adres & I'll send you the almost branspankinyoo special edition blueray 3 disk set! :D

Iv had a hankerin to go see a movie in the theater lately. I want to see Contagion. Drive iz out now also and they both hav Brian Cranston but I dont want to spend 20 and 2 risky theater trips *, so I'm in a quandary!

*My car very often loozez its main motion capability after a stay in theater parking lots.

geology rocks

Postby geology rocks » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:45 am

Monster wrote:EDIT: I just remembered. There's a wooist in Contagion. He was profiting from the disease and the deaths of millions. He was a conspiracy theorist who accused the makers of the vaccine to be liars, and he promoted a homeopathic cure. He made millions of dollars promoting the homeopathic cure, and it was killing people since they avoided the vaccine. When I saw that, it made me think of Jenny McCarthy and Alex Jones. Alex Jones is directly profiting from his conspiracy garbage, but I don't know if McCarthy is.

She's selling books so she's making something from that. I'm not convinced that it's all necessarily about financial gain either. Some people get off on the attention, that can be worth more to them than money. :roll:
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:33 am

RED. Bubble gum for the brain.

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Monster » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:43 pm

Just saw Cthulhu from 2007. Sucked.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478126/

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Postby rickoshay85 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:14 pm

Monster wrote:Just saw Cthulhu from 2007. Sucked.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478126/

Just don't make them like the used to, too much in your face, to many weird camera angles, too much gratuitous violence, too much emoting, and not enough continuity..
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO. John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:34 am

How coud it possibly suck with a SEVEN HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLAR BUJET? Its impossible to spend that much money and make a bad movie.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:13 am

JO 753 wrote:How coud it possibly suck with a SEVEN HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLAR BUJET? Its impossible to spend that much money and make a bad movie.

Yeah, like Waterworld!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:35 pm

Exactly. They must have spent a million on that!

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Postby rickoshay85 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:50 pm

Monster wrote:Saw Harry Potter #8. 'Twas good and enjoyable.

No accounting for taste. Me, I prefer mystery movies with real plots, real people, in the Nick and Nora theme, with a combination of humor, intelligence, pathos,

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:43 am

Wait, there's an EIGHTH Harry Potter movie?! I haven't seen any of them.
#ANDAMOVIE

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Postby rickoshay85 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:37 pm

Gord wrote:Wait, there's an EIGHTH Harry Potter movie?! I haven't seen any of them.

You wouldn't like it. You're to much of a realist.

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Monster » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:41 pm

rickoshay85 wrote:
Gord wrote:Wait, there's an EIGHTH Harry Potter movie?! I haven't seen any of them.

All movies are fantasy.

rickoshay85
Veteran Poster

Postby rickoshay85 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:26 pm

Monster wrote:
rickoshay85 wrote:

All movies are fantasy.

True... the whole world is a fantasy for most... They see it the way they want it to be, not what it actually is.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:18 pm

Joshua

Its about a morbidly preoccupied 9 yir old in New York turning evil. Not badly made, but its slow and uneventful.

Return to “Popular Culture”