Create a Conspiracy Theory?

Step right up for 3-card Monte...
sk3ptic

Postby sk3ptic » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:24 am

Have you ever wondered how difficult it would be to make a conspiracy theory? Given 1 year and no budget, just how difficult (or easy) would it be for 4 or 5 people strategically located around the world to bring a conspiracy theory to life? Interested in joining me on this journey? I'm planning on documenting our activities and publishing everything, revealing the conspiracy in one year from today, January 19th.

chrisclimbs@gmail.com

octopus1
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Deep Sea Mollusk

Re: Create a Conspiracy Theory?

Postby octopus1 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:59 am

I opened the back of my laptop and found a logo on the motherboard. I needed to have the thing fixed, so I took note of it.

Apparently, it's affiliated with the Disney corporation. And removing the connection just to the left of the logo makes your system run at 200%+ efficiency...

-----

Utter bollocks, of course.

I would be interested in seeing where you can take your idea. So long as no real conspiracy is fed to the unwitting at the end of it!
"On the fence".... Without a cushion....

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Postby kennyc » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:36 am

If you're going to make something up, make up a religion and take donations.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:39 pm

sk3ptic wrote:Have you ever wondered how difficult it would be to make a conspiracy theory? Given 1 year and no budget, just how difficult (or easy) would it be for 4 or 5 people strategically located around the world to bring a conspiracy theory to life? Interested in joining me on this journey? I'm planning on documenting our activities and publishing everything, revealing the conspiracy in one year from today, January 19th.

I will be interested to see how you go after a year. I don't think a team of six people will make any penetration into public recognition at all. A conspiracy is like a movie without a promotion budget. It relies on "word of mouth", "PR" and reviews to get any market traction. We all are aware of a couple movies that have become popular through "word of mouth" but we ignore the other 1000 movies released at the same time that absolutely failed. The percentages are against you.

The other thing is the "story" of the conspiracy. There are only a limited numbers of "baddies" left on the planet and most already have conspiracies against them existing. You are not just starting a conspiracy but also replacing previous existing well known conspiracies against the same people. Its like hoping to replace the cultural penetration of Star Wars with a B-grade science fiction film.

May I suggest you read a bit about the brothers Grimm and their research into rural fairy tales about "urban encroachment". There would seem to be similarities about the distribution of those tales in rural Germany and what you are trying to achieve on the internet. I also have a vague memory that a modern author has done similar research concerning "urban legends" in pre-internet American culture. I can't remember her name.

If I was preparing a "legend" I'd start five years earlier by planting some tangible facts and let those "mellow" . I'd then start a small story and allow unrelated "eager" outsiders to discover "the facts" five years later and let them "tell the world".

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Postby kennyc » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:46 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:[...
If I was preparing a "legend" I'd start five years earlier by planting some tangible facts and let those "mellow" . I'd then start a small story and allow unrelated "eager" outsiders to discover "the facts" five years later and let them "tell the world".

like isodual?
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:00 am

kennyc wrote:like isodual?
Absolutely. The Santilli people are hilarious and not very clever. Although they did flood the market with bogus "scientific papers" and ever created their own "peer review journals" they stupidly also offered the Australian "scientific research facilities", which turned out to be "hippy artist communes".

If you are going to fake a legend, you cannot make one error that idiots like us will find. One error is all us idiots needs to end a fake legend and there are thousands of us, with OCD and other personality issues who will investigate stories for hours and hours for no point at all.

:D

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:15 am

sk3ptic wrote:Have you ever wondered how difficult it would be to make a conspiracy theory? Given 1 year and no budget, just how difficult (or easy) would it be for 4 or 5 people strategically located around the world to bring a conspiracy theory to life? Interested in joining me on this journey? I'm planning on documenting our activities and publishing everything, revealing the conspiracy in one year from today, January 19th.

chrisclimbs@gmail.com

Bah. Sen. Gerald P. Nye, upon hearing that the Japanese had attacked Pearl Harbor, said, "Roosevelt tricked them!" And so it goes.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:34 am

Look no further than the threshold to home: there is an ominous conspiracy taking place right here.
Have you noticed that there is not a single working or even retired scientist posting here?
(Although I have little doubt that the knocking from inside my computer is the ghost of Richard Feynman struggling to get out and type his piece. Obviously something)mysterious and as yet unknown is holding him back.)
And why, concerned voices will ask, are significant and reputable, credentialed atheists so noticeably among the missing?
What unidentified force keeps Richard Dawkins from rushing in here to sally and rally with our gallant and eloquent enemies of faith?
Who or what kept Christopher Hitchens from entering the occasional opinion?
Or or offering effusive compliments to our various "chefs" of skepticism?
What force or sources of political power are keeping them all away?
And back to the sciences:
One would think that any bona fide scientists would jump at the chance to discuss the presence of as yet unidentified sea serpents in San Francisco Bqy…
And what actual scientist doesn't LOVE to spend time chatting about unidentified flitting objects? Or would want to miss the chance to have a good, meaty discussion about them?
Or the suggestion of alternate "sciences?"
Those victims of collateral conspiracies that keep great thinkers among the alternate scientists from have their ideas made known, and their serious works made evident.

And more?
Are the conspiracies afflicting us CREATED?
Or did they evolve?

Norma Manna Blum
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:26 am

nmblum wrote:Have you noticed that there is not a single working or even retired scientist posting here?

Norma, you've mentioned such before, and, granted, most members here post anonymously and many don't divulge us and the "World Wide Web" with insights into their private lives, but to the best of my recollection, the one, or two (or even more) odd member stated that they are, in fact, currently working or retired scientists.

It makes me want to ask, if I may: What constitutes a scientist? Are there levels? I mean, are there real, but not quite real scientists?

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:00 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
nmblum wrote:Have you noticed that there is not a single working or even retired scientist posting here?

Norma, you've mentioned such before, and, granted, most members here post anonymously and many don't divulge us and the "World Wide Web" with insights into their private lives, but to the best of my recollection, the one, or two (or even more) odd member stated that they are, in fact, working or retired scientists.

It makes me want to ask, if I may: What constitutes a scientist? Are there levels? Are there real, but not quite real scientists?

Not to me.
And so sorry to be so repetitive…
But are you serious?
What constitutes a violinist?
Or an actor?
Or a carpenter?
A scientist, much like a novelist, a film maker, or a chef, is identified by productive work, in his her field.
It's the work that's the identifying factor.
And are there levels?
I'm sure there are levels of success, as well as levels of productivity… but it is not the level that allows for the title of "scientist." it's the work…
That really can't be said too many times: its the WORK that counts.
In anything.
Keith Richards (to grab a case of out the hat) didn't become Keith Richards because he like Mississippi Blues (as I do).
In fact, I probably LOVE Mississippi blues even more than Keith Richards ever did…
He became Keith Richards because despite everything, drugs, drink, tobacco, suspected and admitted debauchery he worked his ASS of at playing the guitar.
Practice, practice, practice, gig, gig, gig.
And I didn't.
Which is why I can't call myself a guitarist.
(I can call myself someone who has a guitar hanging on the wall that I strum when the spirit moves me.)
But let me turn the question back to you: what do you think identifies a scientist?

As contrasted,say, with someone who butt shits all day long?
Even well… even in bull-shitting there are degrees of success, but what there is not, is WORK.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:48 am

It seems we do have the same, or at least similar, understanding of what identifies a scientist, for the most part, perhaps entirely... you tell me.

For I think, while agreeing with what you said, no matter what a person's profession might be, they are first and foremost human, and if "BSing" is part of their makeup... then we have a multitasker! Currently active in their field - or currently enjoying a well deserved rest from their labors. : )

Not belittling serious issues gone awry, but thoroughly enjoying much of the humor on display in this place, (forgive me) I have to add:

BS is in the nose of the beholder. ~ Eggs : D

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:13 am

[quote="scrmbldggs"]It seems we do have the same, or at least similar, understanding of what identifies a scientist, for the most part, perhaps entirely... you tell me.

For I think, no matter what a person's profession might be, they are first and foremost human, and if "BSing" is part of their makeup... then we have a multitasker! Currently active in their field - or currently enjoying a well deserved rest from their labors. : )

Here's the difference between science and bull shitting as occupations: the BS scientist/human being will inevitably be found out, revealed by his peers and scientific methodology as more BS than scientist.
The professional bull-shitter on the other hand can just go on bull shitting forever on the truism that one man's BS is another man's "What's for supper? Put it in front of me, and I'll eat it!"
Or perhaps more easily understood, one man's BS is another man's Bible.
As for being human…. yes, of course (I've read a Hallmark card or two in my time, too, you don't have a franchise on platitudes). .
And now I'm off to dreamland where all my sugar plums are rational AND funny.
NMB
Skepticism:

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:37 am

Hope you'll find in your dreams what will make up for what life simply cannot offer permanently.

And in your waking hours as much as possible of what you most enjoy.

Have a very good night and a wonderful day tomorrow. :flower:

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:39 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Hope you'll find in your dreams what will make up for what life simply cannot offer permanently.

And in your waking hours as much as possible of what you most enjoy.

Have a very good night and a wonderful day tomorrow. :flower:

Heaven's to Betsy!! What have I here?
One little ovum who is sunny -side-up this morning!!

Does the name Edgar A. Guest ring any bells with you, Eggs?

Permanence in not in the poker hand dealt to man by the process of evolution.
Nor by geography, climate, or the prevalence of accident.
We are all here today and gone tomorrow: tinker, tailor, physicist, craftsman and even cyberforums….

NMB

P.S. In case you and Edgar never crossed paths, here is an example of his WORK (he was actually a poet).
I offer only the first stanza of "Raisin Pie," (more might threaten your own sense of permanence), but you get the idea, I'm sure:

"There's a heap of pent-up goodness
in the yellow bantam corn,
And I sort o' like to linger
round a berry patch at morn;
Oh, the Lord has set our table
with a stock o' things to eat
An' there's just enough o' bitter
in the blend to cut the sweet,
But I run the whole list over,
an' it seems somehow that I
Find the keenest sort o' pleasure
in a chunk o' raisin pie."

Tugs at the heartstrings, no?
Eggs? Eggs? Are you there?
Or has the shock of recognition rendered you speechless?

NMB
Skepticism:

Pop Haydn
Custom Title: Certifiable Genius

Postby Pop Haydn » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:30 pm

Almost every one of the conspiracy theories currently circulating were originated in Lithuania by a small cabal of initiates intent on taking over the world once it becomes stupid enough.

I have been working on a similar idea for my magic show. I have been constructing totally fake websites that back up or expand on the story of Pop Haydn, the Sphere of Destiny and Magnetized Water that is the story of my show:

www.studentsocculthistory.com
www.electricwaterbc.com

Anyone googling the main subjects of my show should run into these websites and their deliberate misinformation.

Similar fake websites could be used to create a web of information that could make up a very convincing argument for a conspiracy.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:13 pm

nmblum wrote:Here's the difference between science and bull shitting as occupations:
Norma makes up a claim that there are no scientists on this forum without checking first. This is called "BS".

nmblum wrote:the BS scientist/human being will inevitably be found out
Hi Norma!

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:37 pm

Pop Haydn wrote:Anyone googling the main subjects of my show should run into these websites and their deliberate misinformation.

Similar fake websites could be used to create a web of information that could make up a very convincing argument for a conspiracy.

Howdy Mr Hayden.

On this forum is a discussion concerning a failed floated USA company called Magnegas. Magnegas claimed to have new technology based on non conventional physics. It is argued and good evidence is presented by forum members, that many websites, fake scientific publishers and bogus scientific papers were circulated by the Santilli family for the purpose of deceiving investors, for more than a decade prior to the float. The float failed for other reasons.

viewtopic.php?f=88&t=13129

I would argue that a popular "conspiracy" ( Truthers, Birthers, No-moon landing) can thrive, despite there being errors and mistakes in their fake historic documents. Conspiracies already have an eager audience. However a "financial con" cannot have one error or the whole scam collapses.

This suggests to me, that someone promoting a "new popular conspiracy" can flood the internet with bogus documents but someone establishing a "legend" for a financial con must only place very minimal controlled "legends".

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:22 am

LOL

I sense that Matthew doesn't like me… although how that can be when I admire him and his various snooping talents so much is really hard to imagine.
However I LOVE Matthew……and I'll sign an affidavit to that effect.

Because Matthew probably knows where everybody who posts here lives, how old they are, what they read, what they do for a living, enjoy as a hobby, how much money each has in the bank, and how many times each has been married and divorced.
That's why Matthew, as he has said, "gets the big bucks."
(From the secret police.)…

Norma Manna Blum
Last edited by nmblum88 on Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skepticism:

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:29 am

nmblum wrote:Because Matthew probably knows where everybody who posts here lives, how old they are, what they read, what they do for a living, enjoy as a hobby, how much money each has in the bank, and how many times each has been married and divorced.
Yes Norma. I can remember what people have posted about themselves here. You won $300 in a card game. You told everyone. Did you forget?

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:36 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
nmblum wrote:Because Matthew probably knows where everybody who posts here lives, how old they are, what they read, what they do for a living, enjoy as a hobby, how much money each has in the bank, and how many times each has been married and divorced.
Yes Norma. I can remember what people have posted about themselves here. You won $300 in a card game. You told everyone. Did you forget?

No Matthew.
I didn't forget.
How could I… first win after six months of playing Texas Hold "Em?
My news, not yours.
What are you complaining about?
That you didn't get to out me for my enjoyment of the game?
Well cheer up., because here's a tidbit for your quidnunc's mind.
Something that will warm the cockles of your bookkeeper's heart.
I lied.
It was $317.00.
And that's the amount I reported to the IRS… they already had my age, so there is no work for you there..
However, I do know, and sympathize even as I have a tendency to laugh at the thought, that you bookkeepers can be driven bonkers at an inaccuracy involving so much as a penny…
So are we straight now?
$317.00 (USD)

Norma Manna Blum
Skepticism:

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:21 am

nmblum wrote: What are you complaining about?
Your continual interruption of threads to offer your insignificant opinion on unrelated issues.

We are talking about establishing conspiracies in this thread, not your personal gambling stories. Try to stay on topic.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:25 am

nmblum wrote:I sense that Matthew doesn't like me…
I don't dislike dog turds but I occasionally have to wash them off my shoe. That's my opinion of you.

Scott Mayers
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Deep

Postby Scott Mayers » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:26 pm

chrisclimbs@gmail.com

This has been done in part already. See:

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydrogen_monoxide_hoax
I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Pop Haydn
Custom Title: Certifiable Genius

Postby Pop Haydn » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:16 pm

Did anyone see where there was a high likelihood that both Arthur Conan Doyle and theologian Teilhard de Chardin were both probably involved in the faking of the Piltdown Man?

"Richard Milner, an American historian of science, has presented a case that Doyle may have been the perpetrator of the Piltdown Man hoax of 1912, creating the counterfeit hominid fossil that fooled the scientific world for over 40 years. Milner says that Doyle had a motive—namely, revenge on the scientific establishment for debunking one of his favourite psychics—and that The Lost World contains several encrypted clues regarding his involvement in the hoax." --wikipedia

Famous conman of the turn of the last century, Yellow Kid Weill, used to prepare for his cons in a new town by going to the local library and finding the most prominent book on say, mining and mineralogy, and steal it. He would take it to his room, cut out the frontispiece, and sew in a new page with his photo replacing the author's. He would have ID's and business cards printed with the scientist's name and a new address and made up company. The phone numbers went to his accomplices who could answer in various roles. The book was returned to the local library. When the Yellow Kid started introducing himself to prospective investors in his Gold Mine or whatever, they might do some research of their own in the local library, where everything would match up perfectly.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:40 pm

Pop Haydn wrote:Did anyone see where there was a high likelihood that both Arthur Conan Doyle and theologian Teilhard de Chardin were both probably involved in the faking of the Piltdown Man?.
I just read about it on your suggestion.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2012 ... atest-hoax

In a few weeks, a group of British researchers will enter ........ London's Natural History Museum".

"The aim of the study, .....the identities of the perpetrators of the world's greatest scientific fraud, the Piltdown Hoax"

But many scientists still suspect he had the backing of experts who were the true guilty parties. Candidates include Arthur Conan Doyle, who played golf at Piltdown and had a grievance against scientists because of his spiritual beliefs; the Jesuit philosopher, palaeontologist and alleged practical joker Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, who lived in Sussex at the time and who actually helped Dawson dig at Piltdown;

And then there is Conan Doyle. A former doctor and fossil collector, he had the expertise to create forged skull fragments. One of his characters, in The Lost World, published in 1912, even states: "If you are clever and know your business you can fake a bone as easily as you can a photograph."

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:09 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:"The aim of the study, .....the identities of the perpetrators of the world's greatest scientific fraud,

I thought that was AGW?
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Cygnus_X1
Frequent Poster

Postby Cygnus_X1 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:04 pm

"Have you ever wondered how difficult it would be to make a conspiracy theory? "

I think we should do something hilarious like try to persuade people that ordinary bog standard aircraft contrails in the sky are actually secret illuminati chemical spraying of alien hybrid DNA that will get into our water and turn us into ganglion creatures that will be ready to inhabit the planet Nibiru when it stops hiding on the other side of the Sun.

Oh.....wait. Thousands already believe that.
100,000 lemmings can't be wrong.

Beck

Postby Beck » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:32 am

Alex Jones and Miles Mathis create new conspiracy theories all the time -- they make it look easy.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Golden Spiral Trump

Postby Gord » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:06 am

Hi, Beck. :wave:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Cygnus_X1
Frequent Poster

Postby Cygnus_X1 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:15 pm

This is clearly an attempt by the illuminati to divert attention from their shape shifting lizards taking over the world. So they have us all tied up creating conspiracy theories...the doing of which is itself a conspiracy...in order to divert from the bigger conspiracy.

And THAT is all part of an even bigger conspiracy to make people think that the illuminati are creating a conspiracy, which is itself a counter conspiracy to another and bigger one in which counter-conspiracists are creating conspiracies to counter the counter conspiracies of the original conspiracists.

See...it all makes sense when you know the special hand shake.
100,000 lemmings can't be wrong.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:32 pm

Why six people? Seems to me all you need is one. Most recent attempt I witnessed myself was on the tube a few days ago. Bobble head asks her panel: "Could it be that Donald Trump is put up by the Democratic Party?"....Not very imaginative though.....I hear a version ever two years.

But any one guy, take a nutty idea that pits the Republican base voter against anything, make a YouTube==done.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

djembeweaver
Regular Poster

Postby djembeweaver » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:19 pm

Did the irony of the fact that this very scheme constitutes a conspiracy not occur to anyone?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:23 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Why six people?
I'm guessing it was an undergraduate exercise in measuring the velocity of new data, in different media, and it's a university tutorial team or something like that.

I'm not a big fan of PR (free media exploitation) because it's uncontrollable in the hands of the end user's editing. Any good campaign that relies on free media exploitation really needs to be done in conjunction with paid for advertising that retains the unedited core message.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:53 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Why six people?
I'm guessing it was an undergraduate exercise in measuring the velocity of new data, in different media, and it's a university tutorial team or something like that.

I'm not a big fan of PR (free media exploitation) because it's uncontrollable in the hands of the end user's editing. Any good campaign that relies on free media exploitation really needs to be done in conjunction with paid for advertising that retains the unedited core message.

When you post something to Youtube that is your unedited core message. Whatever you post/publish/distribue anywhere can be edited by others.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

mukul11

Postby mukul11 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:54 am

In order to create a conspiracy theory we need a concept a minority ,A group, a famous historical Event..

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:55 pm

Could we use this thread?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Bullfighter

Postby Bullfighter » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:07 am

I feel that every "good" conspiracy theory requires someone with relevant "authority" or fame leveling the charges or providing their "expert" testimony. Take "9/11 Truthers" and the roster of former CIA agents claiming the attacks were an inside job:

A 28-year CIA career man and a former skeptic of alternative 9/11 explanations has gone further than ever before in voicing his convictions that the attacks bore the hallmarks of an inside job and the three buildings in the WTC complex were brought down by controlled demolition.

Bill Christison is a former senior official of the CIA. He was a National Intelligence Officer and the Director of the CIA's Office of Regional and Political Analysis before his retirement in 1979. Since then he has written numerous articles on U.S. foreign policies.

In Christison's recent article, Stop Belittling the Theories About September 11, he afforded credibility to the notion that "significant parts" of the official 9/11 story were false and after careful research he concluded that the twin towers and building 7, "were most probably destroyed by controlled demolition charges placed in the buildings."

As mentioned previously, it really has remarkable similarities with standard marketing practices. You can take an actual physician like Dr. Oz and sell any alternative medicine or woo, and any rebuttal to those claims made about those "cures" are suddenly met with supporters up in arms crying about a "Big Pharma" conspiracy. Of course, that conspiracy theory was around before he was even on the air. Nevertheless, the appeal to authority is probably the most effective marketing tool ever.

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:19 pm

McSweeney's wrote:Rebunking Conspiracy Theories: Area 51
Of all of the numbered areas, Area 51 is the most shrouded in conspiracy. Located in the southern portion of Nevada, the facility has long been accused of being connected to extraterrestrials, housing top secret government experiments, and harshing nearby Las Vegas’ buzz.

Is Area 51 a hotbed of alien interaction? Does the government use Area 51 to perform shadowy tests of horrible future technology? What is happening behind those barbed wire fences and in those windowless rooms? Does Area 51 have anything do with Pier 1, and if so, how much for a nice indoor sectional?

By examining the claims of conspiracy theorists, debunkers, and then rebunking with my own, I’ll attempt to answer these questions with further questions.

The truth is out there. The hard part is getting it in here.
Read more
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:58 pm

Austin Harper wrote:Read more

With the insane lengths taken to remain hidden and keep most people from entering, Area 51’s true purpose is obvious: it’s where the government throws surprise birthday parties. The government balances out all of the bad things it does by surprising random citizens with an out of the blue birthday bonanza. One day you wake up on your birthday in a pitch black, unmarked airplane hangar. “What? This isn’t the airplane hangar I went to sleep in last night,” you say, then the lights flick on and there’s streamers, cake, and hundreds of government agents wishing you the happiest of birthdays....

:falloff:
#ANDAMOVIE

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Fri May 20, 2016 5:04 pm

McSweeney's wrote:Rebunking Conspiracy Theories: Sports
When it comes to sports, conspiracy theorists play ball. The sacred baseball diamond, hallowed football rectangle, wooden basketball also rectangle, and cold hockey curved rectangle are revered by many, but a conspiracist knows a rectangle always hides a secret and that a diamond is just a wealthy rectangle.

What’s the truth behind sports? Why all the games? Where’s all the money go? If there are playoffs, where are the playons? Is bowling truly a sport or have I been lying to my son? How can a number be retired? Doesn’t that affect math and counting?

I’ll attempt to answer some of those questions as indirectly as possible by examining the claims of conspiracy theorists, conspiracy debunkers, and then rebunking with my own ramblings. If all goes as planned, this article will be hanging in the Hall of Fame of Truth for all to see and admire before leaving and going to a better, more existent Hall of Fame.
Read more
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Return to “Scams and Con Games”