new car gas mileage and summer tires

Step right up for 3-card Monte...
psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

new car gas mileage and summer tires

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:56 pm

car companies are pressured to increase gas mileage . one way is to put summer tires on the cars . some of these tires may even claim to be all season .
but many of these tires are no good in the winter . lot of people have no idea they are trying to drive in bad weather with the wrong kind of tires .
is this a scam or just carelessness ?
for the real minority ; there will be no justice , there will be no peace .
makes sense 2me , so it has 2be wrong .

Pyrrho
Administrator

Re: new car gas mileage and summer tires

Postby Pyrrho » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:40 am

Buy winter tires. Problem solved.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:00 am

psychiatry is a scam wrote:car companies are pressured to increase gas mileage . one way is to put summer tires on the cars . some of these tires may even claim to be all season .
but many of these tires are no good in the winter . lot of people have no idea they are trying to drive in bad weather with the wrong kind of tires .

How old are you, again? If you drive, you need to understand tires. It's personal responsibility. If you need to drive in snow, you need to learn how to drive in snow. That's the deal. {!#%@} on the road with the wrong equipment and lack of skill need to quit endangering other lives. People that buy cars with inadequate tires for the driving conditions need to understand that they need different tires.

Just because someone isn't holding your hand across the street doesn't mean they should be, or in fact, everyone else needs to pay for someone to hold your hand. You need to figure out how to cross that street all by yourself, or stay off of the street.

The most dangerous device that most of use daily is our vehicle. If you don't understand the most important safety equipment on that, then get a bus pass. Or at least expert advice.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:39 am

I live in Winnipeg. No one here can drive, regardless of the season. Yesterday I saw a guy drive into a snowplow in a fit of anger, stupidity, and/or confusion. The day before that, I marvelled at the sight of someone actually stopping at a stop sign (turned out to be a tourist, which just leads to more questions: A TOURIST IN WINNIPEG IN JANUARY?!?).
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:40 am

fromthehills wrote:
psychiatry is a scam wrote:car companies are pressured to increase gas mileage . one way is to put summer tires on the cars . some of these tires may even claim to be all season .

How old are you, again? If you drive, you need to understand tires. It's personal responsibility. If you need to drive in snow, you need to learn how to drive in snow. That's the deal. {!#%@} on the road with the wrong equipment and lack of skill need to quit endangering other lives. People that buy cars with inadequate tires for the driving conditions need to understand that they need different tires.

Just because someone isn't holding your hand across the street doesn't mean they should be, or in fact, everyone else needs to pay for someone to hold your hand. You need to figure out how to cross that street all by yourself, or stay off of the street.

The most dangerous device that most of use daily is our vehicle. If you don't understand the most important safety equipment on that, then get a bus pass. Or at least expert advice.

um a nothing is my post suggests that I do not know about tires . actually I guess there is a lot I don't know , but winter tires in winter is sufficient . I do know there are a lot of people who have no clue about tires , I am not one of them . I also know that car companies deliberately put summer tires on new cars , and do not tell people - women , kids , elderly , etc .
it is a simple idea , I hear experts talk about the need to slow down ; but none of them mention that people need to know they might be trying to drive with high mileage summer tires in the winter . again I am not one of these clueless people , I have the best winter tires

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:56 am

Sorry then, PiS. So I really don't understand your question. You have the ability to understand that you need good tires. I understand that I need good tires. The tire guy that sells the tires explains this importance to people. People that drive in snow understand that tires make a big difference. So….? If a new car comes with summer tires, an informed consumer, which is their duty to be, can't say they want the winter tires? This is life, so I really don't understand your angle.

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:51 pm

fromthehills wrote:Sorry then, PiS. So I really don't understand your question. You have the ability to understand that you need good tires. I understand that I need good tires. The tire guy that sells the tires explains this importance to people. People that drive in snow understand that tires make a big difference. So….? If a new car comes with summer tires, an informed consumer, which is their duty to be, can't say they want the winter tires? This is life, so I really don't understand your angle.

there are a lot of people who are not informed consumers . I know this because I can see they can not stop even though they are going slow . my purpose is to try to inform . hoping that maybe someone will read this and call their local tv station and ask the tv station to do a story about it .
guess I will probably have to try that myself . best I could hope for is the car window sticker would include a warning to get winter tires

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:33 pm

. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Kaepora Gaebora
Regular Poster

Postby Kaepora Gaebora » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:42 pm

What the hell. :shockd:

You would think that people would you know, SLOW DOWN.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:48 pm

Thank you Oleg. That was really interesting. I felt sorry for the cars that slowed down and stopped in good time only to be hit from behind.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:51 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Thank you Oleg. That was really interesting. I felt sorry for the cars that slowed down and stopped in good time only to be hit from behind.

Or the people who stopped to help only to find themselves running for their lives.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:54 pm

psychiatry is a scam wrote: . best I could hope for is the car window sticker would include a warning to get winter tires
This is the sticker issued by the NHTSA
Alpine Symbol.JPG

In the United States and Canada, a "3PMSF ("Three Peak Mountain Snow Flake")" symbol means that the tire has exceeded the industry requirement from a reference (non-snow) tire. In the province of Quebec, Canada, winter tires are mandatory on all vehicles from Dec 15 to March 15.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:57 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:

Or the people who stopped to help only to find themselves running for their lives.

I found it a bit strange that they wouldn't budge even when cars were coming their way. It would be much too unpredictable for me to "stand my ground" in situations like that.

And I do believe winter tires help somewhat with the handling and stopping process. They're just not a cure-all for icy and slippery roads.
Last edited by scrmbldggs on Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, Io the lurker.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:57 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote: Or the people who stopped to help only to find themselves running for their lives.
Yes. I could see the people. I couldn't guess the speed but some of the cars did seem to be going very fast. I can understand how dangerous the whole scenario was.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:00 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
psychiatry is a scam wrote: . best I could hope for is the car window sticker would include a warning to get winter tires
This is the sticker issued by the NHTSA
Alpine Symbol.JPG

In the United States and Canada, a "3PMSF ("Three Peak Mountain Snow Flake")" symbol means that the tire has exceeded the industry requirement from a reference (non-snow) tire. In the province of Quebec, Canada, winter tires are mandatory on all vehicles from Dec 15 to March 15.

Where I live, it's Oct to Apr. Warmer places. like Vancouver, it's less, probably like Quebec.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:03 pm

scrmbldggs wrote: I found it a bit strange that they wouldn't budge even when cars were sliding their way.
I wondered about that. I wonder if there is lower visibility on the ground horizontally, compared to the camera's point of view from above.

Also, snow falls seems to deaden sound. I wonder if they could hear the cars sliding towards them.

Where could you go anyway? There did seem to be a couple of sliding cars that "penetrated the pack" and went off the road shoulders where I would have been standing for safety.

It's an interesting video.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:06 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote: Where I live, it's Oct to Apr. Warmer places. like Vancouver, it's less, probably like Quebec.
We obviously don't get snow in Sydney. However if it rains after a long dry spell in summer, the oils from the road float to the top and make roads slippery.....but it's nothing like in the snow pile up video.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:10 pm

It looked like a fairly busy freeway. It would have been noisy.

But kudos to that trucker who stopped his rig. That seemed to have helped to slow down and divert the other drivers.
Hi, Io the lurker.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:18 pm

That video I just posted wasn't the funny one I thought it was. :(

Deleted.
Hi, Io the lurker.

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Postby kennyc » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:30 am

I'm sure the psychiatrist industry is behind it along with improper information planted in the new DSM.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

kennyc
Has No Life

Postby kennyc » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:33 am

Kenny A. Chaffin

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:08 am

Gord wrote:A TOURIST IN WINNIPEG IN JANUARY?!?).

Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:10 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote: I found it a bit strange that they wouldn't budge even when cars were sliding their way.
I wondered about that. I wonder if there is lower visibility on the ground horizontally, compared to the camera's point of view from above.

Numerous reasons come to mind.

1. You can't look in two directions at once, so if your attention is held by the accident ahead of you, you aren't watching the car screaming in from behind.
2. It's difficult to judge how fast a car is going when it's headed directly for you.
3. Even if you see something headed toward you, you might not want to move into his path when he swerves. Stand still, move right, or move left: One of those is easier than the other two.
4. Even if you want to move, you're on ice! Moving quickly from a dead stop just isn't going to happen.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:16 am

Austin Harper wrote:
Gord wrote:A TOURIST IN WINNIPEG IN JANUARY?!?).

Not the best picture for the intention, there's barely any snow on the ground in that one. Try this one instead:

#ANDAMOVIE

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:52 am

scrmbldggs wrote:That video I just posted wasn't the funny one I thought it was. :(

Deleted.

It was pretty good, though. Some of it was funny. Some of it could not have been good. My favorite was the first scene with the tank. That was great. That and the tow behind tarp sled.

kennyc
Has No Life

Postby kennyc » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:53 am

fromthehills wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:That video I just posted wasn't the funny one I thought it was. :(

Deleted.

It was pretty good, though. Some of it was funny. Some of it could not have been good. My favorite was the first scene with the tank. That was great. That and the tow behind tarp sled.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Kenny A. Chaffin

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:55 am

kennyc
Has No Life

Postby kennyc » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:00 pm

fromthehills wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m786iLsdYQ4

Sorry, Eggs.

Oh, that ol' thing! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thx!
Kenny A. Chaffin

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:10 pm

There's a boat load of them.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:59 pm

fromthehills wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m786iLsdYQ4

My contemporary Russian vernacular needs work. I only understood two or three swear words or expressions from all the crashes. I can't check the other words I thought I heard in online translators or find them in my dictionaries for obvious reasons.

охуеть!

kennyc
Has No Life

Postby kennyc » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:04 pm

I find it very interesting culture-wise that they all have those dash-cams. :D
Kenny A. Chaffin

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:54 pm

kennyc wrote:I find it very interesting culture-wise that they all have those dash-cams. :D
You get a discount on your third party car insurance if you use a dashboard camera in Russia.

Kaepora Gaebora
Regular Poster

Postby Kaepora Gaebora » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:17 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
kennyc wrote:I find it very interesting culture-wise that they all have those dash-cams. :D
You get a discount on your third party car insurance if you use a dashboard camera in Russia.

As far as I am aware, there are many very bad Russian drivers on the road. I was told because of this, dash cams are often necessary for claims.

And that video just made me gasp way too many times. That second one especially. And the last one with the biker should not be alive; he got thrown to the wall so fast.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:07 am

Kaepora Gaebora wrote:As far as I am aware, there are many very bad Russian drivers on the road. I was told because of this, dash cams are often necessary for claims.
The truck drivers don't drink their own antifreeze anymore and beer is now an alcoholic drink rather than a fruit juice. Most cars are modern imported cars of high safety standards.......... things will change...... however......

Road Fatalities for 100,000 vehicles
Australia = 8
United States of America = 15
Russia = 55.4

( We have Random Breath Testing in Australia with 0.05% as the threshold. The USA requires that RBT locations are advertised and the threshold is 0.08%.)

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:31 am

Kaepora Gaebora wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:

As far as I am aware, there are many very bad Russian drivers on the road. I was told because of this, dash cams are often necessary for claims.

There are also a lot of scammers, who will for example, intentionally reverse into you and claim you rear-ended them, or even walk out into slow-moving traffic and dive on your bonnet, and claim you struck them.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:42 pm

I use a dash cam, now, after seeing the Russian meteorite footage. I can mount it to the dash, to my bike helmet, or too my rifle. It's kind of fun.

PennyDotson
Poster

Postby PennyDotson » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:02 pm

fromthehills wrote:

Definitely agree. It's like eating, you know how to do it, but doesn't mean you eat just anything. You look for proper food, er well... sometimes junk food, but you know what I mean... lol If you're driving in a condition that you know you shouldn't be driving in due to it being dangerous and your lack of knowledge of the road. Just DON'T! No need to be reckless and endanger yourself or others for being overly confident in something you have no understanding of. Like myself, I have no clue how to drive in snow, so I won't, obviously... For me, it's common sense. If I know it's snowing, I'm not going to put regular tires, but no one should have to tell me that, it should come natural to me, as I hope it would with other people.

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:47 pm

there are a lot of people who have no clue about a lot of simple stuff - i.e. a thermostat . or that psychiatry is an evil scam , etc.
myself - I have deep insight into damn near everything . :burn:

Return to “Scams and Con Games”