MediShare Christian Health Insurance

Step right up for 3-card Monte...
Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

MediShare Christian Health Insurance

Post by Tom Palven » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:11 pm

Anyone familiar with MediShare?

The anecdotal ads on our local Jacksonville, FL radio stations sound way too good to be true.
https://www.medishare.org/ppc/?utm_sour ... -B&intent=
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: MediShare Christian Health Insurance

Post by Gord » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:30 am

I think I saw a youtube video about MediShare a while ago, but I can't find it now. If I recall correctly, there were problems with them denying coverage by claiming the health problems were "pre-existing conditions". The one I'm remembering in particular was a post-surgical infection. How the hell can an infection be a pre-existing condition?

But that's just one anecdotal story, and it's all I got.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:11 am

The disclosure at the bottom of the linked page states that it is not insurance. Although it also says that it satisfies the requirement for insurance in the ACA. :?

Ya need to change the thread title... "Ministry", not Insurance. ;)

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:37 pm

God bless this ponzi scheme and all who profit from her.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:47 pm

Meany. :mrgreen:
Lard, save me from your followers.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:10 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:47 pm
Gullible is as gullible does.

Martin Brock
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Martin Brock » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:10 pm

Healthcare sharing organizations existed before the ACA and were grandfathered in. They've grown a lot since, because they provide better value than conventional health insurance, particularly for the self-employed. Technically, the organizations are "faith based", but some are less discriminating than others. My sister, a veterinarian, explicitly stated when applying for Liberty Healthshare that she is not religious and is not married to her partner, and they accepted her anyway. Basically, a member negotiates a cash price for healthcare services, which is always lower than an insurance price, often much lower, and other members pay the bill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_ca ... g_ministry

Organizations of this sort, sometimes called mutual aid societies, preceded conventional health insurance. They were often organized by fraternal organizations, like the Masons or Ruritans, rather than churches. Then, an organization contracted with a local doctor or doctors for services to its members.

I know many people who use these services, because I'm a libertarian, not religious. Most have used conventional health insurance and wouldn't go back. Health insurance in the United States is a corporatist scam of historic proportions, and the ACA only made it worse.
People associating freely respect norms of their choice, and relationships governed this way are necessarily interdependent.

More central authorities conquer by dividing, imposing norms channeling the value of synergy toward themselves.

"Every man for himself" is the prescription of a state, not a free community. A state protects the poor from the rich only in fairy tales.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:07 pm

Martin Brock wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:10 pm
Healthcare sharing organizations existed before the ACA and were grandfathered in. They've grown a lot since, because they provide better value than conventional health insurance, particularly for the self-employed. Technically, the organizations are "faith based", but some are less discriminating than others. My sister, a veterinarian, explicitly stated when applying for Liberty Healthshare that she is not religious and is not married to her partner, and they accepted her anyway. Basically, a member negotiates a cash price for healthcare services, which is always lower than an insurance price, often much lower, and other members pay the bill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_ca ... g_ministry

Organizations of this sort, sometimes called mutual aid societies, preceded conventional health insurance. They were often organized by fraternal organizations, like the Masons or Ruritans, rather than churches. Then, an organization contracted with a local doctor or doctors for services to its members.

I know many people who use these services, because I'm a libertarian, not religious. Most have used conventional health insurance and wouldn't go back. Health insurance in the United States is a corporatist scam of historic proportions, and the ACA only made it worse.
Sounds like they may be legit or quasi-legit, although their testamonial ads seem really far-fetched and bogus
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Post by Austin Harper » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:34 pm

So this is like the health insurance version of a credit union?
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:08 pm

Sure, if credit unions were allowed to keep your money without having to return it.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Grinanne Barrett

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:54 am

Martin Brock wrote:
Healthcare sharing organizations existed before the ACA and were grandfathered in. They've grown a lot since, because they provide better value than conventional health insurance, particularly for the self-employed. Technically, the organizations are "faith based", but some are less discriminating than others. My sister, a veterinarian, explicitly stated when applying for Liberty Healthshare that she is not religious and is not married to her partner, and they accepted her anyway.
And we must keep in mind that the evangelicals have embraced Donald Trump. Never let principles or theology stand in the way of power and wealth.
Martin Brock wrote:
Basically, a member negotiates a cash price for healthcare services, which is always lower than an insurance price, often much lower, and other members pay the bill.
One can actually do that? Who knew? I thought only insurance companies could negotiate prices with hospitals and doctors.
Martin Brock wrote:

I'm no longer a libertarian, but we do indeed live in a corporatocracy. Medicare Part D, enacted under GW Bush, is the worst scam of all. Congress gave the pharmaceutical companies a license to steal by forbidding Medicare to use its enormous clout to bargain for the price of medicines. And pharmaceutical companies have been quick to take advantage of this. Populist Donald Trump spouted off about this outrage when he was running for President. Once he became President, the pharmaceutical companies sent a delegation to the White House for a conference, from which Trump emerged saying that he now saw the light and things couldn't be otherwise. (Even though they ARE otherwise in Canada and dozens of other countries.)
"We survivors did not seek death. We did not take to the streets when our Jewish friends were taken away. We didn’t raise an outcry until we ourselves were being annihilated. We preferred to remain alive, with the flimsy though accurate excuse that our death would not have helped. We are guilty of being alive."

Karl Jaspers (1883–1968), at the re-opening of Heidelberg University, 1945

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:00 am

Tom Palven wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:07 pm
Sounds like they may be legit or quasi-legit, although their testamonial ads seem really far-fetched and bogus
From the link you posted in the OP, I notice that they feature prayer in their advertising. Hey, we know that works in the aftermath of a gun massacre, so why not give it a try when you have a big hospital bill?

Actually, as this is all about money, it involves an analog of Christian Science, which Malcolm Muggeridge some decades ago parodied as Christian Economics. (If I remember correctly, it was an article in Esquire entitled "The First Church of Christ, Economist." This church denied the reality of bankruptcy and used prayer to "treat" shortages of ready cash... Well, you get the idea.)

ETA: Aha! Found it! (Damn! Absolutely everything is out there on the Internet!)
"We survivors did not seek death. We did not take to the streets when our Jewish friends were taken away. We didn’t raise an outcry until we ourselves were being annihilated. We preferred to remain alive, with the flimsy though accurate excuse that our death would not have helped. We are guilty of being alive."

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:16 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:10 pm
scrmbldggs wrote:
That semi-Nazi eugenicist HL Mencken wrote a takedown of Christian Science, in which he rejoiced that Christian Science practitioners and other shills were slaughtering the gullible, saying that it was not desirable to preserve the lives of children whose parents "read and take seriously such dreadful bilge as is in Science and Health, With Key to the Scriptures." He said such strains were "manifestly dysgenic." Well, it's a good joke, and I laughed at it. On the other hand, some good friends of mine (serious Christian Scientists from whom we were nearly estranged when they sent us a copy of Science and Health..., sure that it would cure my wife's MS) lost their baby to a very curable meningitis. Since then, they (no longer Christian Scientists) have conducted a decades-long campaign to expose the horrendous death rate among Christian groups who treat their children with prayer and to abolish laws allowing religious exemptions to mandatory child-care laws. (They have lost the vast majority of these battles, as the Christian Science church, despite its small size, can rely on the gullibility and indifference to suffering that politicians typically have. The Eddyan church is small, but well organized as a lobby. It gets Medicare and Medicaid to pay its practitioners.)

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:23 am

And its members still got the tax (fine) exemption for the soon to be disappearing ACA mandate and still send kids to schools without their otherwise required shots? That should be Monitored. :-P
Lard, save me from your followers.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:16 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:16 am
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:10 pm
scrmbldggs wrote:
That semi-Nazi eugenicist HL Mencken wrote a takedown of Christian Science, in which he rejoiced that Christian Science practitioners and other shills were slaughtering the gullible, saying that it was not desirable to preserve the lives of children whose parents "read and take seriously such dreadful bilge as is in Science and Health, With Key to the Scriptures." He said such strains were "manifestly dysgenic." Well, it's a good joke, and I laughed at it. On the other hand, some good friends of mine (serious Christian Scientists from whom we were nearly estranged when they sent us a copy of Science and Health..., sure that it would cure my wife's MS) lost their baby to a very curable meningitis. Since then, they (no longer Christian Scientists) have conducted a decades-long campaign to expose the horrendous death rate among Christian groups who treat their children with prayer and to abolish laws allowing religious exemptions to mandatory child-care laws. (They have lost the vast majority of these battles, as the Christian Science church, despite its small size, can rely on the gullibility and indifference to suffering that politicians typically have. The Eddyan church is small, but well organized as a lobby. It gets Medicare and Medicaid to pay its practitioners.)
Sounds like Serverus Snape.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:12 pm

Gord wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:08 pm
Sure, if credit unions were allowed to keep your money without having to return it.
Oops. They are.
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?