This is awkward

Stuff of interest on the Web...
Lausten
Persistent Poster

This is awkward

Postby Lausten » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:02 pm

Miss Puerto suspended for racism
One of the reasons I prefer supporting people's freedom of religion, it's easier. It's easier to judge people on their actions and understand the forces of history than it is to make a case for how a holy book makes people do things.

I gotta wonder what it's like for a person who is for Trump-like ideas of keeping Muslims out of this country. Which parts of Miss Puerto Rico's statement do they support? Which are cringe worthy? How would they parse this out?
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Re: This is awkward

Postby ElectricMonk » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:18 pm

Well, PC seems to be a critical part of physical beauty these days...

And of course, pageant winners are the people with most authority in political matters, so we should take whatever they say extra seriously ...
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:38 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:Well, PC seems to be a critical part of physical beauty these days...

And of course, pageant winners are the people with most authority in political matters, so we should take whatever they say extra seriously ...

Yeah, whatever you said...

Spoiler:
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:21 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:Well, PC seems to be a critical part of physical beauty these days...

That's the easy way out. Unfortunately you just put yourself into a bucket with people from Alabama who complain how them there Muslims just come here and "plant gas stations", probably while they are standing around at a gas station.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:25 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:Well, PC seems to be a critical part of physical beauty these days....

These days? Beauty pageant contestants have always been required to embody the current standard conceptualisation of their gender, and judged by that stereotype. Speaking "rightspeak" has always been essential to that goal.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:39 pm

"I want to further my education and help people".

Quotation attributed to every Miss World entrant of the 50s and 60s. I haven't watched it since then.

That one?

PS: I think only Reita Faria ever actually did it.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:54 pm

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Return to “Links”