State of the conversation, w/Neil

Stuff of interest on the Web...
Lausten
Persistent Poster

State of the conversation, w/Neil

Postby Lausten » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:17 pm

Great conversation at the latest Star Talk. Neil DeGrasse Tyson takes bits of conversations with Dawkins and plays them for a Jesuit priest on stage. By doing that he mediates the extremes with his agnostic approach. Both sides get equal chance to make their case. The only limitation is time, so lots is left to discuss, but I don't think much could added. This would be a great piece to bring different views together and listen to and discuss.

Here's my take away: They end agreeing their is MYSTERY. But earlier the priest said there HAS to be an un-caused cause.
So, despite the mystery, despite the enormity of the universe and time, this one species has gained the ability to use past events to predict the future on a scale that apparently no other creature has, and from that one little bit of logic about cause and effect, he's figured out an absolute law that serves as proof of something that we can’t see, that has no form, no agreed upon shape or limits or boundaries. Really?
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Re: State of the conversation, w/Neil

Postby gorgeous » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:48 pm

yes,really.....and other creatures have....non-humans exist....----------"Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man, and one in the face of which we with our modest powers must feel humble."----Einstein
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:38 pm

Not gonna bother explaining Einstein's god to you. Krista Tippet has a book on it, read it. I didn't say anything here about non-humans not existing, or the possibility of more intelligent creatures, but you commented on my Fermi's paradox thread, so you know what I think about that. No matter how sophisticated your logic gets, you are taking a mystery and claiming it as evidence for a fact. Fail.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:42 pm

use past events to predict the future on a scale that apparently no other creature has,---------------how do you know?
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:27 pm

gorgeous wrote:use past events to predict the future on a scale that apparently no other creature has,---------------how do you know?

I said "apparently" just for you. How do we know anything? That's how.

Frank Hoffman
Poster
Custom Title: Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Postby Frank Hoffman » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:12 pm

Recently STAR TALK with Dr. Tyson came up as a recommendation on Hulu and after viewing the most recent, I started viewing episodes from last season. The one with Arianna Huffington (Season 1 Episode 4) was very good. Jeff Jarvis made some great observations about media and journalism. Dr. Tyson was uncharacteristically non-confrontational when Ms. Huffington spoke of religion, but had he not been, it would have been a short interview and valuable later unrelated comments would never have occurred. It's a good show.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:01 pm

I think Tyson saves his anti-religion stuff for anti-religion audiences. I've never seen him take on religious people directly, just not his style. He'll ask questions, but he doesn't try to pick apart their bad answers.

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:23 pm

I think he generally tries to go with the Socratic method, asking them leading questions that they are unwilling to answer either to him or to themselves.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Return to “Links”