A Beautiful One-Minute Read for Dog Lovers

Read any good books lately?
Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Grinanne Barrett

A Beautiful One-Minute Read for Dog Lovers

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:57 pm

Only be sure to have a box of tissue ready as you read. If you can read this without blubbering helplessly, then either you have never loved a dog, or you have a heart of stone. It's by the great American playwright Eugene O'Neill and was written in 1940, just after the death of Silverdene Emblem O'Neill, affectionately known as "Blemie."

You can judge from the last paragraph whether you are up to reading this today:
Blemie wrote: One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress. Whenever you visit my grave, say to yourselves with regret but also with happiness in your hearts at the remembrance of my long happy life with you: "Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved." No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you, and not all the power of death can keep my spirit from wagging a grateful tail.
"We survivors did not seek death. We did not take to the streets when our Jewish friends were taken away. We didn’t raise an outcry until we ourselves were being annihilated. We preferred to remain alive, with the flimsy though accurate excuse that our death would not have helped. We are guilty of being alive."

Karl Jaspers (1883–1968), at the re-opening of Heidelberg University, 1945