"The Doomsday Machine" by Daniel Ellsberg

Read any good books lately?
Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: Unlimited_Oracular_Guidance

"The Doomsday Machine" by Daniel Ellsberg

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun May 06, 2018 11:00 am

I posted some of this over on the Holocaust Denial website under the catchall "Donnydammerung" thread, but I think it more appropriately belongs here.

Ellsberg is most famous for having blown the whistle on the lies of the Viet Nam War back in 1968, a war he had seen at first hand. He now reveals that the Pentagon Papers that he copied were only about 10% of the documents that he copied at the RAND corporation, sort of the "tip of the Ellsberg" if you'll forgive the pun.

The rest was lost through an accident that he describes in the book. (The landfill where his brother hid them suffered a landslide, and they could no longer find them. Eventually the landfill itself was covered over with a condominium complex.) This book is his attempt to tell the story of that 90%, which is all about the lies we've been told for decades about our fail-safe procedures for nuclear weapons (which are anything but) and our no-first-use policy, which is the exact opposite of the policy the government has always pursued. The book is worth a read. Suffice it to say that Doctor Strangelove is not far-fetched. Things could very easily develop in exactly that way.
"I once befriended two little girls from Estonia, who had narrowly escaped death from starvation in a famine. They lived in my family, and of course had plenty to eat. But they spent all their leisure visiting neighbouring farms and stealing potatoes, which they hoarded. Rockefeller, who in his infancy had experienced great poverty, spent his adult life in a similar manner."

--Bertrand Russell, Nobel Prize Acceptance Speech

Return to “The Bookshelf”