"To Explore the World..".

Read any good books lately?
nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

"To Explore the World..".

Postby nmblum88 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:57 am

.. by the American Nobelist in Physics Steven Weinberg, now lending his talents for making science come alive to the University of Texas, at Austin.:
I thoroughly enjoyed this extremely well written, interesting, even captivating book,, despite the reality that because of temperament and education (and time on earth) I disagreed with almost every word of his long standing quarrel with the poets and philosophers who have for so long been included.. indeed insisted upon as being significant to the history of science.....
Weinberg is not a fan of Plato, or for that matter of Aristotle, and he is completely dismissive of Francis Bacon... all of them okay as long as they remain in their place.
But the experience or reading the book was like having an heated discussion with a really super intelligent man....one of life's great pleasures when it does happen.

'Cause Weinberg is completely competent (and more) at making his argument and completely in control of his subject.
And what's more he is thoroughly confident as he dismisses the input of philosophers and poets, as he insists on the practical human roots of science, and makes a persuasive argument for modern science as being unique, and desirably, a product of modern sensibilities.
In the process of "ringing out the old" , he refers to fascinating events in the history of of the various disciplines...
So an enjoyable few hours, sitting in the sun in my backyard, with an opinionated man who clearly has given much thought to his point of view, and has a perfect grasp of his material..
And then, this in an age when one can't get enough of lucid defenses of science, of exploring our world, our universe, in a constant attempt to plumb its mysteries.
Try it, you'll like it.

NMB

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Golden Spiral Trump

Re: "To Explore the World..".

Postby Gord » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:22 pm

Are you talking about the book To Explain the World [2015], or does he have a new book out?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:45 pm

Gord wrote:Are you talking about the book To Explain the World [2015], or does he have a new book out?

Why Gord, you have actually read a post of mine!!
What a thrill!
In fact, just having your eagle eye for error aimed upon me is, as always a privilege and a joy.

I was certain that I was, for reason of character ( utter indifference to the crime of "NOONE v NO ONE) and poor spelling, on your {!#%@} list or whatever it is that you core skeptics here use to keep your comfort zone free of road bumps.

But no... here we are: brought together by a common interest in Dr,. Weinberg's view of how the history of modern science should be approached, accepted, and most important, conveyed to new generations of potential scientists.
I have no idea of the publishing date, and am too lazy to get up to look for the actual book, although it certainly is recent... possibly earlier this very year.

And of course, you are completely correct in calling attention to my carelessness in not explaining my juxtaposition of the two concepts in Dr. Weinberg's book, exploring the world of scientific endeavor, , and explaining it
And as you probably already know, the actual title and sub-title of Dr. Weinberg's book is To Explain the World: The Discovery of Modern Science
But then you have often pointed out, so accurately and with such good humor what a terrible writer I am.... not only orthographically and grammatically challenged, but stylistically clumsy and even inane.
So? Does your correction and reminder mean that you have READ the book?
And that you wish to discuss it further, perhaps at length?
So that my cup will indeed runneth over?
Feel free to do so.
Just send up a flare.
Any time.

Norma Manna Blum

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:39 pm

I read many halves of many halves of your posts.

I wasn't correcting you, I was asking if you meant the book I knew of or a new book of which I had so far remained ignorant.

No, I haven't read it yet, but it was on my long list to read. Not on my short list, though. My short list is dominated by books on mythology, medieval history, and pretty colours.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:04 pm

Gord wrote:I read many halves of many halves of your posts.

I wasn't correcting you, I was asking if you meant the book I knew of or a new book of which I had so far remained ignorant.

No, I haven't read it yet, but it was on my long list to read. Not on my short list, though. My short list is dominated by books on mythology, medieval history, and pretty colours.

No need to explain: I have never doubted either y our sincerity or the breadth, width, even depth of your many interests that involve all manner of life in our universe..
And beyond.
With an emphasis, of course, on English spelling and grammar malfeasance for which you are, and rightly, highly admired.
Much as is Fowler in lesser, less demanding environments.

Norma Manna Blum
P.S. And as your attention to my posts, halved, quartered, eighthed: I am THRILLED, in truth it has been life-altering to know that you recognize my existence at all.
"Go Norms!!"

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:50 am

nmblum88 wrote:

No need to explain: I have never doubted either y our sincerity or the breadth, width, even depth of your many interests that involve all manner of life in our universe..
And beyond.

I wasn't explaining, I was making a list for myself. It's sometimes hard to keep track of which library books I need to return.

I do, however, encourage you to doubt.

With an emphasis, of course, on English spelling and grammar malfeasance for which you are, and rightly, highly admired.

Admiration is useless to me. I prefer peanuts. Also, I don't like peanuts.

P.S. And as your attention to my posts, halved, quartered, eighthed: I am THRILLED, in truth it has been life-altering to know that you recognize my existence at all.
"Go Norms!!"

I respond to individual statements by splitting your posts up. (Or was there no need to explain that? I can't tell. You did, however, seem to have a reason for mentioning specifically that action of mine, which I felt was reason enough to respond with my explanation.)

If you truly want a life-altering experience, may I suggest cleaning under your refrigerator? There could be anything under there! Next time someone asks you if you've found Jesus, maybe you'l be able to say, "Yes! He was under my refrigerator!"
#ANDAMOVIE

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:19 pm

Gord wrote:
nmblum88 wrote:

And beyond.

I wasn't explaining, I was making a list for myself. It's sometimes hard to keep track of which library books I need to return.

"Go Norms!!"

I respond to individual statements by splitting your posts up. (Or was there no need to explain that? I can't tell. You did, however, seem to have a reason for mentioning specifically that action of mine, which I felt was reason enough to respond with my explanation.)

If you truly want a life-altering experience, may I suggest cleaning under your refrigerator? There could be anything under there! Next time someone asks you if you've found Jesus, maybe you'l be able to say, "Yes! He was under my refrigerator!"

Foolish one: Worry about what's drawing around under your own refrigerator: among the other things you are not, is a "Ladies Home Companion."

The rest of your message is too desperate, too humorless, too dispirited, too dull, too lacking in any manner of sense or recognizable sensibility to require a response.

Norma Manna Blum

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:18 pm

"To see a whole world in a grain of sand..."

Spoiler:
William Blake

"To See a World..."

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence"
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

A Robin Redbreast in a Cage
Puts all Heaven in a Rage.
A dove house fill’d with doves and pigeons
Shudders Hell thro’ all its regions.
A Dog starv’d at his Master’s Gate
Predicts the ruin of the State.
A Horse misus’d upon the Road
Calls to Heaven for Human blood.
Each outcry of the hunted Hare
A fiber from the Brain does tear.

He who shall train the Horse to War
Shall never pass the Polar Bar.
The Beggar’s Dog and Widow’s Cat,
Feed them and thou wilt grow fat.
The Gnat that sings his Summer song
Poison gets from Slander’s tongue.
The poison of the Snake and Newt
Is the sweat of Envy’s Foot.

A truth that’s told with bad intent
Beats all the Lies you can invent.
It is right it should be so;
Man was made for Joy and Woe;
And when this we rightly know
Thro’ the World we safely go.

Every Night and every Morn
Some to Misery are Born.
Every Morn and every Night
Some are Born to sweet delight.
Some are Born to sweet delight,
Some are Born to Endless Night.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:05 pm

nmblum88 wrote:
Gord wrote:
nmblum88 wrote:

And beyond.

"Go Norms!!"

Foolish one: Worry about what's drawing around under your own refrigerator: among the other things you are not, is a "Ladies Home Companion."

I'm more of an intrusive squirrel behind the chesterfield than a "Ladies Home Companion" (which I assume is a euphemism for "sex toy").

The rest of your message is too desperate, too humorless, too dispirited, too dull, too lacking in any manner of sense or recognizable sensibility to require a response.

"...she responded." :lol:

Regarding your critique of my message, as I alluded to in the post to which you responded by suggesting it wasn't worth responding to, I don't care what emotions you feel it necessary to describe sensing. Admiration, pity, browbeating, prayers -- none of that interests me. Please don't get all touchy-feely with me, it will momentarily put me off enjoying my self-touchy self-feely stuff. I'd rather discuss the book you started this discussion about, rather than have you trying to discuss me. Your opinion of the book actually did interest me. Are you going to get around to it, or are you just trolling me?
#ANDAMOVIE

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:05 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:"To see a whole world in a grain of sand..."

Spoiler:
William Blake

"To See a World..."

And Eternity in an hour.

Some to Misery are Born.

:| That wasn't intended to be a last post, was it?
#ANDAMOVIE

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:09 pm

Gord wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:"To see a whole world in a grain of sand..."

Spoiler:
William Blake

"To See a World..."

And Eternity in an hour.

Some to Misery are Born.

:| That wasn't intended to be a last post, was it?

No, it was a Lara Croft moment.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Return to “The Bookshelf”