Is there anything better that a great Oater?

Read any good books lately?
nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Is there anything better that a great Oater?

Post by nmblum88 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:19 pm

A good Western will still bring people away from our TV sets to see it into a proper theater on a large screen.
I think.
And I DO love even a bad Western, but a good one, a John Ford film… how special that is.
Anyway, took this book with me for the weekend, expecting to bring it hone unopened but as it turned out, weather demanding, I not only read it but LOVED it.
The Searchers: the Making of an American Legend, by Gene Frankel, is the tale of John Ford's creation of what is considered by many devotees of the genre to be the greatest of all Westerns.
I can's speak to the "the greatest, " although it certainly did approach a number of conflicting themes in saga of the settling of the American West. the darkest, deeply racist side of pour favorite myths about ourselves.
What I can say, is that the book is fascinating..
Especially, if like me you had no idea the story was based on a true set of incidents.
First the kidnapping, by the Comanches of Cynthia Ann Parker, and then later her "re-kidnapping" by the Texas Raiders…
Land grabbing and race and sex.
This one no less: all the facets of the most powerful stories.
Thrwo in the utter magic of making movies, especially by the greatest director of the genre, and you have a perfect book for a rainy Sunday afternoon.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: Is there anything better that a great Oater?

Post by Gord » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:03 am

All modern westerns seem to care about is the plight of the Indians these days. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but when I want to see High Noon, I'm not secretly hoping they'll insert Hotel Rwanda into the plot somewhere.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?